Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #2146
BabyRapunzel
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 263

Thanks for the blind hem explanation, I think that may be something in the distant future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2
Then I can't see any reason not to try it out.

Yes, it is terrible what happened today. I didn't hear about it until late this afternoon because I was on the go all day. It is just heartbreaking!

I love your Snow White inspired dress. It definitely carries the Snow White theme without being over the top Snow White. I can't wait to see it with the apple added to the apron.

I would guess that most pageant dresses are made from polyester but I am really not sure.

I usually follow the instruction for constructing a dress the first time I make it. Then after that, I do it how I like making things. Sometimes I learn a new method of doing something from the instructions and sometimes the methods in the instructions are enough to drive you nuts!

I'm glad that you explained this. Using the blind hem stitch, even with my blind hem foot is still something that always confuses me!

I took DH back for his post surgical follow up appointment today. It was very good news. The pathology report was already back and everything was benign. I don't know if I had mentioned it here but the endocrinologist who visited DH while he was in the hospital scared us quite a bit because she kept saying that the mass was malignant and we needed to get into her office to see her within a week. The surgeon told us today that she was definitely mistaken and must have confused us with another patient.

Yikes, that is crazy about the wrong information. Glad the real news is good news.


Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy
Hi Everyone!!

So sorry I have been MIA. My gallbladder removal went just fine, spent 1 night in the hospital and was then sent home. I have been having a rough time eating and drinking since August, and after surgery, I was just not able to keep myself going and got into a bad dehydration hole, so had to go back into the hospital again this week for a few days. My guts are just a mess right now!! But at least the pain from the gallbladder was gone when I woke up = I just expected the digestion issues to be gone as well...oh well. My dreams of stitching and sewing while I was home recooperating boiled down to just 1 Eeyore Christmas Tshirt and a half done Tigger one!!!! YIKES!!! So, Im hoping I'll finally feel better for Christmas this year!!!

Also, just a reminder that its time to ship for Shawn Brooklyns Big Give!!! Just remember to post your picture on the thread and the address will be pm'd to you!!! Thanks so much everyone!!!

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi

Sorry to hear about the rough recovery. Hope it gets better for you.
BabyRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #2147
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran
 
PurpleEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I'm glad that you explained this. Using the blind hem stitch, even with my blind hem foot is still something that always confuses me!


I took DH back for his post surgical follow up appointment today. It was very good news. The pathology report was already back and everything was benign. I don't know if I had mentioned it here but the endocrinologist who visited DH while he was in the hospital scared us quite a bit because she kept saying that the mass was malignant and we needed to get into her office to see her within a week. The surgeon told us today that she was definitely mistaken and must have confused us with another patient.
I consider the blind hem foot one of the essential feet for the sewing machine. Mine saved me hours of doing hem by hand! I will try to take pictures today to better show how it works.

Glad to hear that your husband's tumour was benign. I am sure it is a huge relief for your family. I hope he is recovering quickly. (At the same time, I feel bad for the other patient's family - I hope they weren't told that it was benign only to come back to say it was malignant. I hope the doctor simply misread your husband's report!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Hi Everyone!!

So sorry I have been MIA. My gallbladder removal went just fine, spent 1 night in the hospital and was then sent home. I have been having a rough time eating and drinking since August, and after surgery, I was just not able to keep myself going and got into a bad dehydration hole, so had to go back into the hospital again this week for a few days. My guts are just a mess right now!! But at least the pain from the gallbladder was gone when I woke up = I just expected the digestion issues to be gone as well...oh well. My dreams of stitching and sewing while I was home recooperating boiled down to just 1 Eeyore Christmas Tshirt and a half done Tigger one!!!! YIKES!!! So, Im hoping I'll finally feel better for Christmas this year!!!

Also, just a reminder that its time to ship for Shawn Brooklyns Big Give!!! Just remember to post your picture on the thread and the address will be pm'd to you!!! Thanks so much everyone!!!

http://disbiggive.proboards.com/index.cgi
I am sorry to hear that your road to recovery has not been smooth Wendy. I hope you will continue to feel better each day and you will be able to enjoy Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
Thanks for the blind hem explanation, I think that may be something in the distant future.
Doing the blind hem on the machine is easier than it appears. I will try to get some pictures this afternoon to explan it a little bit better.
__________________
DH Me



Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #2148
billwendy
DIS Veteran
 
billwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: essington, PA
Posts: 4,940

Thanks so much friends!

Flora - I just cant seem to eat or drink much at all which is very freaky!! I have lost so much weight, which I could absolutely afford to lose, but not too much more. I have gone from a size 24W to a 12! Its super duper weird for me. I always heard that when you lost weight you got tons of energy, but not so far for me....hopefully it will come, I can keep it off and will be back in the swing of things. It will be a pretty low key holiday for us. My mom and her husband will come here for breakfast, and then they are flying to Austin around noon to visit with family out there. So it will just be Billy and I.

I am having a hard time finding what I can eat that is lactose free....any tips? I need very plain and low fat.....then next week, they want me to try gluten free....to see if this all gives my gut a chance to rest or if I get any more/less GI symptoms....lol.....

What are you guys giving your significant others this year? Billy and I usually exchange a few things since we dont have kiddos, and of course Tigger will be spoiled rotten. He has been so cute with the Christmas tree...lol....I want to take him to get his picture taken with santa - I know its crazy, but oh well!!! lol
__________________
Wendy Billy and our fur ball Tigger

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #2149
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo
 
miprender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: RI (Home of the Big Blue Bug)
Posts: 4,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
:
And I am also 90% done with the first dress. It's a Snow White inspired dress using the Little Lizard Apron Knot pattern. Overall the directions for this pattern are clear, but she doesn't really include any sizing information or finished measurements. I modified the apron portion. It was supposed to be a rectangle, but I wanted the rounded corners. I also lined it so I could use the ric-rac. I also used a blind hem stitch for the first time, so YAY me!

I still need to add the buttonholes (the directions are a bit unclear for this so if anyone has made the patten before help me out, otherwise I'll have to email Little Lizard) and then I am also going to add an apple applique to the apron. Overall, happy with how it's turned out.



*edit* hee hee, I just realized my eye spy bags are peeking out from behind the dress! Those black straps are the handles to the bags!

Hoping to get a couple more dresses cut out today/tonight. Maybe more pictures tomorrow.

Sunshine
What a pretty dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I took DH back for his post surgical follow up appointment today. It was very good news. The pathology report was already back and everything was benign. I don't know if I had mentioned it here but the endocrinologist who visited DH while he was in the hospital scared us quite a bit because she kept saying that the mass was malignant and we needed to get into her office to see her within a week. The surgeon told us today that she was definitely mistaken and must have confused us with another patient.
That is great news Diane

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Hi Everyone!!

So sorry I have been MIA. My gallbladder removal went just fine, spent 1 night in the hospital and was then sent home. I have been having a rough time eating and drinking since August, and after surgery, I was just not able to keep myself going and got into a bad dehydration hole, so had to go back into the hospital again this week for a few days. My guts are just a mess right now!! But at least the pain from the gallbladder was gone when I woke up = I just expected the digestion issues to be gone as well...oh well. My dreams of stitching and sewing while I was home recooperating boiled down to just 1 Eeyore Christmas Tshirt and a half done Tigger one!!!! YIKES!!! So, Im hoping I'll finally feel better for Christmas this year!!!
Sorry that you are still not feeling well.
__________________
--- DD10 , DS8 , DS5 , DH, me(Michelle)
FBStore: Mi Creations Trip Years: 1996,1997,2001,2006,2009,2010,2011,2012,2013
miprender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:54 AM   #2150
livndisney
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9,101

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Thanks so much friends!

Flora - I just cant seem to eat or drink much at all which is very freaky!! I have lost so much weight, which I could absolutely afford to lose, but not too much more. I have gone from a size 24W to a 12! Its super duper weird for me. I always heard that when you lost weight you got tons of energy, but not so far for me....hopefully it will come, I can keep it off and will be back in the swing of things. It will be a pretty low key holiday for us. My mom and her husband will come here for breakfast, and then they are flying to Austin around noon to visit with family out there. So it will just be Billy and I.

I am having a hard time finding what I can eat that is lactose free....any tips? I need very plain and low fat.....then next week, they want me to try gluten free....to see if this all gives my gut a chance to rest or if I get any more/less GI symptoms....lol.....

What are you guys giving your significant others this year? Billy and I usually exchange a few things since we dont have kiddos, and of course Tigger will be spoiled rotten. He has been so cute with the Christmas tree...lol....I want to take him to get his picture taken with santa - I know its crazy, but oh well!!! lol
Yoplait has a lactose free yogurt. Walmart sells it. M LOVES it.
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #2151
billwendy
DIS Veteran
 
billwendy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: essington, PA
Posts: 4,940

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Yoplait has a lactose free yogurt. Walmart sells it. M LOVES it.
Thanks C - that is certainly worth a try!! Thanks M!!!!
__________________
Wendy Billy and our fur ball Tigger

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #2152
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Then I can't see any reason not to try it out.


Yes, it is terrible what happened today. I didn't hear about it until late this afternoon because I was on the go all day. It is just heartbreaking!

I love your Snow White inspired dress. It definitely carries the Snow White theme without being over the top Snow White. I can't wait to see it with the apple added to the apron.


I would guess that most pageant dresses are made from polyester but I am really not sure.

I usually follow the instruction for constructing a dress the first time I make it. Then after that, I do it how I like making things. Sometimes I learn a new method of doing something from the instructions and sometimes the methods in the instructions are enough to drive you nuts!


I'm glad that you explained this. Using the blind hem stitch, even with my blind hem foot is still something that always confuses me!


I took DH back for his post surgical follow up appointment today. It was very good news. The pathology report was already back and everything was benign. I don't know if I had mentioned it here but the endocrinologist who visited DH while he was in the hospital scared us quite a bit because she kept saying that the mass was malignant and we needed to get into her office to see her within a week. The surgeon told us today that she was definitely mistaken and must have confused us with another patient.
Such good news your husband's reports came back benign. My mother had surgery about 2 weeks ago for a mass in her abdomen, the results were not back yet when she received an EMAIL OF ALL THINGS from the insurance company approving the treatment for her Ovarian Cancer. It arrived in her inbox Thanksgiving day so she had the long holiday weekend to take that in. Following monday she had the surgery, turns out it was benign cyst, the insurance company just decided to offer up their diagnosis via email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Thanks so much friends!

Flora - I just cant seem to eat or drink much at all which is very freaky!! I have lost so much weight, which I could absolutely afford to lose, but not too much more. I have gone from a size 24W to a 12! Its super duper weird for me. I always heard that when you lost weight you got tons of energy, but not so far for me....hopefully it will come, I can keep it off and will be back in the swing of things. It will be a pretty low key holiday for us. My mom and her husband will come here for breakfast, and then they are flying to Austin around noon to visit with family out there. So it will just be Billy and I.

I am having a hard time finding what I can eat that is lactose free....any tips? I need very plain and low fat.....then next week, they want me to try gluten free....to see if this all gives my gut a chance to rest or if I get any more/less GI symptoms....lol.....

What are you guys giving your significant others this year? Billy and I usually exchange a few things since we dont have kiddos, and of course Tigger will be spoiled rotten. He has been so cute with the Christmas tree...lol....I want to take him to get his picture taken with santa - I know its crazy, but oh well!!! lol
I had to give up ALL dairy when I was breastfeeding because one of my sons had terrible reflux and cows milk sensitivity. Milk is in EVERYTHING. Pretty much you have to go vegan to get rid of it. They use it in so many processed foods you would never dream of, like taco seasoning and potato chips. It wasn't easy to get rid of. But it helped and he outgrew his allergy, thankfully.

I am going to try to make a couple adult bowling shirts for my husband. His birthday is new years eve, so I hope to do one for birthday and one for christmas. both are superhero themed. I also made a couple hoodies for my kids, my nephew and a fleece throw for each my husband and two kids. Still have a bowling shirt in the works for the nephew. I did finish my aprons though! A grand total of 14, all appliqued with gingerbread boy or girl and personalized with their names. Also whipped up a bib for the little sister of one set of twins.





I sort of winged it, I had a large dish towel from IKEA, cut it in 2 and hemmed the rough edge. Cut top corners and hemmed, and the straps are cotton tube w/ elastic on top and ribbon for the waist with a snap to close it. I think they came out cute and I was able to use the embroidery software (I did end up buying it, and the fonts from 8 clawes.) to put together names for the first time too. Glad to be done so I can tackle the rest of Christmas projects.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:39 PM   #2153
RMAMom
DIS Veteran
 
RMAMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: 891 miles north of my happy place!
Posts: 2,552

Dianne ~ I am so happy for you and your husband with the results of his surgery!

Wendy~ 24 to a 12!!!!! That is a ton of weight! I hope you figure it out soon and start feeling better. I am no help with lactose free but I am sure if you googleit you will find a ton of info.

I need a little help. I need to make pajamas for my 6 month old grandson and I bought flannel Christmas fabric. The problem is that the pattern I wanted to use suggests that I use fleece. It is a pattern to make a blanket sleeper and I can see how the fleece has better stretch and would be better suited but I am wondering what whould happen if I made it in the flannel? Does anyone have any experience, opions or advice for making a one piece footed pjs out of flannel or should I just go find some christmas fleece?
__________________
Mary

RMAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 PM   #2154
goteamwood
DIS Veteran
 
goteamwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Crystal Lake IL
Posts: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom
Dianne ~ I am so happy for you and your husband with the results of his surgery!

Wendy~ 24 to a 12!!!!! That is a ton of weight! I hope you figure it out soon and start feeling better. I am no help with lactose free but I am sure if you googleit you will find a ton of info.

I need a little help. I need to make pajamas for my 6 month old grandson and I bought flannel Christmas fabric. The problem is that the pattern I wanted to use suggests that I use fleece. It is a pattern to make a blanket sleeper and I can see how the fleece has better stretch and would be better suited but I am wondering what whould happen if I made it in the flannel? Does anyone have any experience, opions or advice for making a one piece footed pjs out of flannel or should I just go find some christmas fleece?
I haven't made the sleepers myself but my mom did make some for my boys when they were born. The flannel didn't fit right, the sleeves were tight since they were supposed to have some flex in the fabric. I think I only put them in those once because the arms seemed too restricted.
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Etsy: JustJoshinKids • just-joshin.com
personal blog: go team wood dot com

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #2155
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty
 
pyrxtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Then I can't see any reason not to try it out.

Just debating on whether to try tacking them in with the machine but I think I'll have to do it by hand. I need some gold thread. has anyone else done anything like this before ?

Yes, it is terrible what happened today. I didn't hear about it until late this afternoon because I was on the go all day. It is just heartbreaking!

Completely horrible what happened.

I love your Snow White inspired dress. It definitely carries the Snow White theme without being over the top Snow White. I can't wait to see it with the apple added to the apron.

I missed quoting this dress but I agree. very Snow white and wearable every day.

I would guess that most pageant dresses are made from polyester but I am really not sure.

I was looking at directions online and they all say things like silk but I can't imagine they use real silk.

I usually follow the instruction for constructing a dress the first time I make it. Then after that, I do it how I like making things. Sometimes I learn a new method of doing something from the instructions and sometimes the methods in the instructions are enough to drive you nuts!

I just dislike gathering the skirt as a whole. Much easier to gather just the front and then each side piece separate. Then you know that it is evenly done.

I took DH back for his post surgical follow up appointment today. It was very good news. The pathology report was already back and everything was benign. I don't know if I had mentioned it here but the endocrinologist who visited DH while he was in the hospital scared us quite a bit because she kept saying that the mass was malignant and we needed to get into her office to see her within a week. The surgeon told us today that she was definitely mistaken and must have confused us with another patient.
Dr's really need to be careful when they come out and talk to you. they told us to say good-bye to my mother and that was 2 yrs ago and she is almost back to being herself again. Glad his diagnosis is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Hi Everyone!!

So sorry I have been MIA. My gallbladder removal went just fine, spent 1 night in the hospital and was then sent home. I have been having a rough time eating and drinking since August, and after surgery, I was just not able to keep myself going and got into a bad dehydration hole, so had to go back into the hospital again this week for a few days. My guts are just a mess right now!! But at least the pain from the gallbladder was gone when I woke up = I just expected the digestion issues to be gone as well...oh well. My dreams of stitching and sewing while I was home recooperating boiled down to just 1 Eeyore Christmas Tshirt and a half done Tigger one!!!! YIKES!!! So, Im hoping I'll finally feel better for Christmas this year!!!
I hope you feel better soon. Great job on the weight loss and hopefully it can stay off. Good luck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
I need a little help. I need to make pajamas for my 6 month old grandson and I bought flannel Christmas fabric. The problem is that the pattern I wanted to use suggests that I use fleece. It is a pattern to make a blanket sleeper and I can see how the fleece has better stretch and would be better suited but I am wondering what whould happen if I made it in the flannel? Does anyone have any experience, opions or advice for making a one piece footed pjs out of flannel or should I just go find some christmas fleece?
I think flannel would be okay. I have never sewn with either but I have varied from what was suggested and it still came out nice. I think a fleece sleeper would be nice and warm though.
__________________
AKV Jan 5-10, 2011 --- Father/Son trip June 2-5, 2011 AKV's --- DL Aug 31-Sep 5,2011 --- December 24, 2011 - January 2, 2012 . http://confesseddisneyaddict.blogspot.com/
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #2156
ban26ana
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 410

I finished up dd's Merida dress for BBB. Let me just say, Merida is now my least favorite Disney character. My machine apparently got PMS, because it kept jamming and giving me problems. I've learned that I'm nowhere near ready to sew without a pattern, because this dress definitely has "personality." And by personality, I mean glaring flaws. (Strings obviously haven't been cut yet.)






Question: well, whining I guess. How long does it take to get good at this sewing thing? I've made about a half dozen things now. And I feel like there's no improvement. I can't sew a straight line if my life depended on it. My seam ripper gets more mileage than my sewing machine lol. Something is always lopsided, completely wrong, etc. Oh, and it takes me FOR-E-VER to sew something. I'm in the middle of sewing a patchwork twirl skirt, and I feel like I could have gestated a human in less time. When will I start getting better?
__________________
ban26ana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #2157
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran
 
PurpleEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
Thanks so much friends!

Flora - I just cant seem to eat or drink much at all which is very freaky!! I have lost so much weight, which I could absolutely afford to lose, but not too much more. I have gone from a size 24W to a 12! Its super duper weird for me. I always heard that when you lost weight you got tons of energy, but not so far for me....hopefully it will come, I can keep it off and will be back in the swing of things. It will be a pretty low key holiday for us. My mom and her husband will come here for breakfast, and then they are flying to Austin around noon to visit with family out there. So it will just be Billy and I.

I am having a hard time finding what I can eat that is lactose free....any tips? I need very plain and low fat.....then next week, they want me to try gluten free....to see if this all gives my gut a chance to rest or if I get any more/less GI symptoms....lol.....

What are you guys giving your significant others this year? Billy and I usually exchange a few things since we dont have kiddos, and of course Tigger will be spoiled rotten. He has been so cute with the Christmas tree...lol....I want to take him to get his picture taken with santa - I know its crazy, but oh well!!! lol
Wendy - I am sorry to hear that you can't eat or drink much. I think people get tons of energy when they lose weight due to reasons other than being sick! I can totally understand your desire to keep your current weight though, it is much easier to buy clothes at size 12 than at 24 I would imagine. Hopefully once you get the GI issues straighted out, you will have lots of energy. I think the best way to go lactose free is to make meals from scratch. Milk ingredients simply show up in too many processed foods! Gluten is even worse in terms of being in foods. I would suggest getting a slow cooker since the meal can cook while you are at work. Roasts, chili, and soups are easy to do in the slow cooker and they are lactose and gluten free. They would be pretty low fat too if you use lean cuts of meat.

DH will be getting a Lego Townhall set for Christmas. I have been giving him a large Lego set for Christmas the last few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Such good news your husband's reports came back benign. My mother had surgery about 2 weeks ago for a mass in her abdomen, the results were not back yet when she received an EMAIL OF ALL THINGS from the insurance company approving the treatment for her Ovarian Cancer. It arrived in her inbox Thanksgiving day so she had the long holiday weekend to take that in. Following monday she had the surgery, turns out it was benign cyst, the insurance company just decided to offer up their diagnosis via email.

I am going to try to make a couple adult bowling shirts for my husband. His birthday is new years eve, so I hope to do one for birthday and one for christmas. both are superhero themed. I also made a couple hoodies for my kids, my nephew and a fleece throw for each my husband and two kids. Still have a bowling shirt in the works for the nephew. I did finish my aprons though! A grand total of 14, all appliqued with gingerbread boy or girl and personalized with their names. Also whipped up a bib for the little sister of one set of twins.





I sort of winged it, I had a large dish towel from IKEA, cut it in 2 and hemmed the rough edge. Cut top corners and hemmed, and the straps are cotton tube w/ elastic on top and ribbon for the waist with a snap to close it. I think they came out cute and I was able to use the embroidery software (I did end up buying it, and the fonts from 8 clawes.) to put together names for the first time too. Glad to be done so I can tackle the rest of Christmas projects.
That is terrible about how the insurance company emailed about your mother's results. I am glad that it was benign. I am sure it was a very stressful time for your family after you got that email! I would be furious.

The aprons look great. I hope the baking party will go smoothly and everyone will have fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post
I need a little help. I need to make pajamas for my 6 month old grandson and I bought flannel Christmas fabric. The problem is that the pattern I wanted to use suggests that I use fleece. It is a pattern to make a blanket sleeper and I can see how the fleece has better stretch and would be better suited but I am wondering what whould happen if I made it in the flannel? Does anyone have any experience, opions or advice for making a one piece footed pjs out of flannel or should I just go find some christmas fleece?
I imagine flannel would work since both flannel and fleece don't stretch like knitted material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban26ana View Post
I finished up dd's Merida dress for BBB. Let me just say, Merida is now my least favorite Disney character. My machine apparently got PMS, because it kept jamming and giving me problems. I've learned that I'm nowhere near ready to sew without a pattern, because this dress definitely has "personality." And by personality, I mean glaring flaws. (Strings obviously haven't been cut yet.)






Question: well, whining I guess. How long does it take to get good at this sewing thing? I've made about a half dozen things now. And I feel like there's no improvement. I can't sew a straight line if my life depended on it. My seam ripper gets more mileage than my sewing machine lol. Something is always lopsided, completely wrong, etc. Oh, and it takes me FOR-E-VER to sew something. I'm in the middle of sewing a patchwork twirl skirt, and I feel like I could have gestated a human in less time. When will I start getting better?
The dress looks beautiful. I think you are being too hard on yourself. I am sure each time you sew, you learn something new. And guess what? I can't sew a straight line either. I think you are getting better at sewing, you are just not giving yourself enough credit. As long as the recipient wears the things that you made, does it really matter that it is not perfect in your eyes?


Since a few of you requested a picture earlier in the week, here's my Advent calendar:



I am not 100% happy with it but it will do for now.
__________________
DH Me



Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #2158
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran
 
PurpleEars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 897

Since we had a discussion about blind hem stitch, here's a photo tutorial of "doing blind hem stitch on the machine"

First, we have a couple of pictures of what a blind hem stitch done on the machine looks like:

On the right side of the garment:


On the wrong side of the garment (the light blue thread is the blind hem stitch):


So, let's get started on a new blind hem!

First, find the blind hem foot. Mine looks like this:


Next, finish the edge of the hem:


Then you fold the hem and iron it in place (in this example, I used 5/8"):


Now you are ready to take it to the machine:


You will need to fold the material to the right side of the fabric, while leaving a little bit of material for the stitches to catch onto. The fold should be on the left hand side of the divider on the foot. The finished edge of the fabric will be on the right hand side. The majority of the stitches will be on the right hand side of the divider. This picture will probably explain it better:


Set your machine to blind hem stitch, which looks like straight lines with zig zags. It should do a a few straight stitches on the right hand side of the divider, then jump over to the left to do 1 stitch, and return to the right hand side of the divider again.

This is what it should look like as you continue to stitch:


When you are done, unfold the fabric. This is what it should look like on the outside (I used white thread so it would show up better):


In my case, I should adjust the zig zag width to narrower than default as the stitches are pretty large. It is trial and error at this point because you want the stitch to catch the fold you created when you put the material under the foot, but you don't want large stitches to show (like this example).

I hope these pictures explain the blind hem stitch a little bit better than what I tried to type last night when I was on my way out to see my friend. I am happy to report that she and her baby are doing well, as are the rest of the family. She was thrilled to receive the growth chart as they didn't have one.
__________________
DH Me



Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:01 PM   #2159
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty
 
pyrxtc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 8,500

Quote:
Originally Posted by ban26ana View Post
I finished up dd's Merida dress for BBB. Let me just say, Merida is now my least favorite Disney character. My machine apparently got PMS, because it kept jamming and giving me problems. I've learned that I'm nowhere near ready to sew without a pattern, because this dress definitely has "personality." And by personality, I mean glaring flaws. (Strings obviously haven't been cut yet.)
Question: well, whining I guess. How long does it take to get good at this sewing thing? I've made about a half dozen things now. And I feel like there's no improvement. I can't sew a straight line if my life depended on it. My seam ripper gets more mileage than my sewing machine lol. Something is always lopsided, completely wrong, etc. Oh, and it takes me FOR-E-VER to sew something. I'm in the middle of sewing a patchwork twirl skirt, and I feel like I could have gestated a human in less time. When will I start getting better?
It looks fine. lots of pins and lots of going back to re-read instructions and not just going with your gut until you've done it a bunch. I read all the directions and then cut and then read all the directions again before I pin anything and then sew the first part and read the directions again at least two steps ahead and it seems to have worked so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Since a few of you requested a picture earlier in the week, here's my Advent calendar:

I am not 100% happy with it but it will do for now.
I think it looks great and very time consuming. good job !
__________________
AKV Jan 5-10, 2011 --- Father/Son trip June 2-5, 2011 AKV's --- DL Aug 31-Sep 5,2011 --- December 24, 2011 - January 2, 2012 . http://confesseddisneyaddict.blogspot.com/
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #2160
nannye
DIS Veteran
 
nannye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: K-W, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,599

Question for those of you with PE770's

I was stitching out a Mickey head design from Heather Sue and it has stitched out fine before no problem at all. This time it stitched fine OTHEr than it missed the final satin stitch on a section of ear. There also is no way I can go back and fix it because I can't go back and repeat steps or anything.

Was this just a fluke maybe? it was part of another step, it is supposed to do the whole mickey head final satin stitch at once and it just missed a section.
thanks
Erin

__________________
Me Erin (30) & nanny to V (6)
August 2013 PTR! 3rd Times A Charm August 2013 PTR

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP


Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: