Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #2071
McDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye
So question, i am trying to figure out what to copy over to my USB drive from an embroidery design I have downloaded. For instance, say Heathersue's mickey head with a santa hat. I have it downloaded. but when I opened the file there is so much there I don't know what to do or if i have unzipped it?

All I did was save the file to my computer hard drive.

Help lol
unzip it if it's not unzipped. I move mine to a dedicated folder.
Copy the PES file in the size you want to use to your usb. You can use smaller files in the 5x7 hoop if it suits your project.

McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:52 PM   #2072
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Wow! You have been super busy! Everything looks terrific! I love how your raglan hoodies turned out. Did you decorate the zippered hoodies or did you sew the whole thing? I've never sewn anything with a zippered front. In fact, I have avoided zippers where at all possible. LOL! Your little guys sleeping in bed together are so cute. My girls never wanted to sleep together. In fact, they hate sleeping in the same bed because my younger daughter is such a restless sleeper. How are you doing on the aprons? Several years ago I made 20 aprons and mob caps for my older dd's colonial tea party birthday. I figured out that if I bought extra wide, white bias tape, I could use that as the top band and tie for the aprons and they came together super fast after that.

Gee I can't imagine what you are planning to make with those fabrics! I've heard of spoonflower but I'm purposely staying away. I HAVE to use up some of the fabrics that I already have!!!!
The Dinosaur hoodies were from Target, they were on sale even! Just added the spikes and the applique on the front. They usually have some decent blank hoodies there, I have done Dino hoodies as gifts before, and embellished others for my kids too. Much cheaper than the blank hoodies I have seen on jiffyshirts and the like.

I found about a dozen other cool things on spoonflower but resisted. I have been looking for Woody fabric forever. Our trip to CA is up in the air right now since we are supposed to go with my brother and nephew and my brothers' pay just got cut, so don't know if we are going. I was hoping to make Buzz and Woody bowling shirts with the fabric, which I will probably do anyway. I told my husband if CA and the visit family + a couple days at Disneyland fall thru we should just go back to Disney World!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 03:14 PM   #2073
aboveH20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post

What a fun idea. I love that fabric.
I love red, white, and black together. I guess I was destined to love Disney as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I don't have that fabric, but I am curious if you have a pattern or a tutorial for the bag. I got all the "ingredients" to make them but I am not smart enough to figure out how to loop the straps through. I did a search for tutorials and they all say to sew the straps on the bottom. I got grommets and the tool to do them, so I would prefer that.
I don't have a pattern or tutorial. I basically measured a backpack I had. I've made a couple of the backpacks (I took one to Alaska and made two for a recent Give) so the method has evolved a number of times. Are you just wondering about the string? I've got another bag almost finished and I'll take photos as I string it -- or draw a picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post

I haven't been to HL since they opened in September, but that is cool fabric. I see tons of hidden mickey heads
I read so much about Hobby Lobby on this thread that I actually drove about 2 hours to go to one a couple years ago. Now there's one about 20 minutes from my house. (I'm glad it's not any closer, it's bad enough having Joann on the way to the grocery store!)

And speaking of fabric, I used the last of it what you sent me

for a Big Give pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post

Lovely work Cheryl We don't have a Hobby Lobby so I have never seen that fabric
No loss. I don't often go there. NY doesn't have any Hancocks. Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post

Thankfully I don't have access to the same fabric or else my overflowing stash will have more fabric. However, I do have some of that "Epcot Christmas" fabric I bought when I was down in So Cal last February (it was deeply discounted). I am not sure what to do with it, my guess is that it will end up on outfits for the Gives one of these years.

I don't remember the Epcot Christmas fabric. Did you post a picture of it before?

Quote:
Love your bag! We don't have any Hobby Lobby stores near here so I've never seen that fabric. I don't tend to buy too much Christmas fabric either. LOL!
No, I guess you wouldn't.

Disneyland Disney World Disneyland Paris Disney Cruise Aulani Next?
aboveH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #2074
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
unzip it if it's not unzipped. I move mine to a dedicated folder.
Copy the PES file in the size you want to use to your usb. You can use smaller files in the 5x7 hoop if it suits your project.
Oh Goodness thank you! if I had thought about that rather than freaked out i would have remember PES files! Thanks

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:40 PM   #2075
nannye
DIS Veteran

I am not sure the best way to do this so I really could use some help from someone who has made Carla C's patchwork twirl skirt.

The pattern bases all measurements off of 44 inch width fabric 6 diff patterns)
My problem...... One of my materials is 40 inch, 2 at 42 inch, one at 52, one at 54 and i didn't measure the last one. Now the big 3 I'm not worried about, it's the one at 40 inches and 2 at 42 inches. I'm not sure what the best way to go about making the skirt would be while still using the material effectively, any thoughts?

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 12-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #2076
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
I am not sure the best way to do this so I really could use some help from someone who has made Carla C's patchwork twirl skirt.

The pattern bases all measurements off of 44 inch width fabric 6 diff patterns)
My problem...... One of my materials is 40 inch, 2 at 42 inch, one at 52, one at 54 and i didn't measure the last one. Now the big 3 I'm not worried about, it's the one at 40 inches and 2 at 42 inches. I'm not sure what the best way to go about making the skirt would be while still using the material effectively, any thoughts?
ok forget this I figured it out! I am totally changing the pattern since I wanted a plain ruffle anyways and I am not making the doll skirt I know what I am doing woohooo

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 12-08-2012, 06:35 PM   #2077
ivey_family
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye
So question, i am trying to figure out what to copy over to my USB drive from an embroidery design I have downloaded. For instance, say Heathersue's mickey head with a santa hat. I have it downloaded. but when I opened the file there is so much there I don't know what to do or if i have unzipped it?

All I did was save the file to my computer hard drive.

Help lol
First, if you haven't already, unzip the file. You should see a list of 15-20 designs. You're looking for the size you want and the correct file type for your machine. You've got a pe770 right? If so, Brother's files end in ".pes" and the size will either be 4x4 or 5x7 on a 770.

You can delete everything except .pes files if you want to save space. They are for other brands and you can convert later if you ever get another type of machine. I don't delete mine b/c we've got lots of storage space, but it's fine to do so.

HTH!
Regards,
C.

Facebook: KiddleyDiveySewing

WDW - Annually 1976-1986 with parents and sibs. * WDW - 1996 * WDW - 2002 * WDW - 2003 - SWW (ASMo) * WDW - 2004 - Got Engaged in MK. * DL - 2005 - First Anniversary trip. * DLP - 2006 - DL Paris! (NBC) * WDW - 2007 - Announced pregnancy. (CSR) * DL - 2010 - First trip with kids.. * WDW - 2011 - 3 kids and grandparents. (ASMo) * WDW - 2012 - 11/25-12/3 - Christmas Decorations! (CBR) * WDW - 2014 - 11/29-12/7 - Christmas Trip #2! (POR)
ivey_family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 PM   #2078
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see that you got your questions about this answered. How did things go with the patchwork skirt?

Quote:
The Dinosaur hoodies were from Target, they were on sale even! Just added the spikes and the applique on the front. They usually have some decent blank hoodies there, I have done Dino hoodies as gifts before, and embellished others for my kids too. Much cheaper than the blank hoodies I have seen on jiffyshirts and the like.

I found about a dozen other cool things on spoonflower but resisted. I have been looking for Woody fabric forever. Our trip to CA is up in the air right now since we are supposed to go with my brother and nephew and my brothers' pay just got cut, so don't know if we are going. I was hoping to make Buzz and Woody bowling shirts with the fabric, which I will probably do anyway. I told my husband if CA and the visit family + a couple days at Disneyland fall thru we should just go back to Disney World!
I don't usually think about Target for their blanks. I usually tend to end up at Walmart for them because our Walmart seems to have more to choose from. We have a Rugged Wearhouse where I pick up super cheap blanks from time to time. Sometimes they have adult blank sweatshirts for $2.99!

I think your Woody bowling shirts will look great. I hope that your family trip works out but if it doesn't, Disney World is always a blast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
I read so much about Hobby Lobby on this thread that I actually drove about 2 hours to go to one a couple years ago. Now there's one about 20 minutes from my house. (I'm glad it's not any closer, it's bad enough having Joann on the way to the grocery store!)

And speaking of fabric, I used the last of it what you sent me

for a Big Give pocket.
I love the bag that you made for the Big Give. The ribbons around the top were so cute! Did you make the entire bag or did you line an already made canvas bag? I've never worked with canvas because it looks so stiff and difficult.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #2079
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

I just saw the wish family I made big give shirts for received them so I am OK to post them here. I think they turned out super cute, and the best part was I was able to make them with fabric I already had (from the Wall-E, Buzz and Monsters Inc Adult shirt leftovers plus some nemo FQ I had on hand.) They wanted the brothers coordinating, so I tried to make them similar but different.

Fronts

Backs

One boy said Crush was his favorite, the other Nemo, so it worked out well. I love the way Crush came out though, might be one of my favorite appliques I have done.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:54 PM   #2080
nannye
DIS Veteran

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a tote bag pattern that is easy to do and will house at least a 14x14 scrapbook box. I kinda want it to be like a reusable shopping bag I guess, somewhat around that size and depth...

Would appreciate any suggestions
thanks
erin

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 12-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #2081
nannye
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=dianemom2;46884002]I see that you got your questions about this answered. How did things go with the patchwork skirt?
QUOTE]

I'm still working on it. My mom is doing the ruffle for me now since we had to use her machine to do it. I really hope my ruffler gets here soon. After that next up is assembling the patchwork.

I was just having a dumb moment and wasn't figuring out to just make the number of small patchwork pieces i needed based on size. Very dumb moment. I saved myself a lot of time and work and material by turning my brain to smart mode. lol

August 2011, V & I @ POP

Old 12-08-2012, 11:22 PM   #2082
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

I finished the lady bug outfit. I am pretty proud of the fact I only needed help on the pattern placement for cutting out the fabric. I did the rest entirely on my own. It is not perfect but I am pretty proud!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 AM   #2083
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Flora- I missed getting your quote, but Chanukah does start tonight. DH will have to stay overnight in the hospital so I told the kids that we'd just wait until daddy comes home to open those presents.
I pray your husband will recover quickly and will get to enjoy this special time with your family. I am sure it is difficult and stressful to have a surgery on top of a holiday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveH20 View Post
I don't remember the Epcot Christmas fabric. Did you post a picture of it before?
I didn't post a picture of it but I know someone else did (that how I knew the fabric existed). It had green background with ornaments with flags of different countries. That's why it screamed Epcot and Christmas. Maybe I should go and dig the fabric out of the stash and take a picture of it.

Quote:
I just saw the wish family I made big give shirts for received them so I am OK to post them here. I think they turned out super cute, and the best part was I was able to make them with fabric I already had (from the Wall-E, Buzz and Monsters Inc Adult shirt leftovers plus some nemo FQ I had on hand.) They wanted the brothers coordinating, so I tried to make them similar but different.

Fronts

Backs

One boy said Crush was his favorite, the other Nemo, so it worked out well. I love the way Crush came out though, might be one of my favorite appliques I have done.
I know I commented on them elsewhere already, but I need to say it again: you did a great job on the shirts! I am sure the boys liked them very much!

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a tote bag pattern that is easy to do and will house at least a 14x14 scrapbook box. I kinda want it to be like a reusable shopping bag I guess, somewhat around that size and depth...

thanks
erin
Hmmm would the Rosetta bag be big enough? I know mine holds my large laptop comfortably. You may need to make it taller to fit 14" though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post
I finished the lady bug outfit. I am pretty proud of the fact I only needed help on the pattern placement for cutting out the fabric. I did the rest entirely on my own. It is not perfect but I am pretty proud!

Super cute! Great job on the outfit!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #2084
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Thanks. I had a uncooperative model last night but will try to post a pic of her in it when she is not crabby/running away lol

09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #2085
tinkbell13
Mouseketeer

Quote:

thanks
erin
I looked at several tote tutorials online when I first started sewing again. A couple that I bookmarked from that time are:
http://grosgrainfabulous.blogspot.ca...oodlehead.html
http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2008/07/...tote-tutorial/
I used the first one as a base to make totes for a BG, although I changed the size and added pockets inside it and to the back. Super simple to make too.

Off-site: 1977 - 1983, 1985 (family trips as a kid)
All Star Movies: 2008, 2012
tinkbell13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: