Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #1906
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

I can post these here because the family have received them now. These are the pool robes I made for the latest Big Give.

And here is a picture of all 4 pool robes that I made:

I am pretty sure that I will be making these again. I really liked how this turned out.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:12 PM   #1907
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2
I can post these here because the family have received them now. These are the pool robes I made for the latest Big Give.

I am pretty sure that I will be making these again. I really liked how this turned out.
Those are so cute. I had a $25 gift card for Kmart in the junk drawer so I picked up those same towels for like $2.50 each to make robes for my kids and as gifts. I hope you don't mind me stealing your great idea.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #1908
nannye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_jude View Post
Just wanted to share a Muppet themed dress I made for a United Way silent auction at work as well as chime in with answers on some of the questions on design sizes and thread and applique fabric:

These are all 4x4 designs on a size 4 Simply Sweet done with a variety of fabrics - Big Bird is a knit, Grover's nose is furry and the rest are cotton or cotton/poly blends. The thread is both Coates and Gutermann (because that's what the Fabricland closest to me sells).

Judy
Judy Looks awesome!!! Did you do the empire waist or the natural waist and is the applique on the chest 4x4?

I am currently piecing together my first Simply Sweet. It's been going well, Aside from great confusion with the flipping of the bodice 4 different ways lol. Bodice is done, I just need to assemble the skirt. I'm really happy with how it looks so far! I am making a size 6 and altho i won't be doing an appliquee on this one I don't think. I'm thinking about the next one which will be appliqueed.

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:04 PM   #1909
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Judy Looks awesome!!! Did you do the empire waist or the natural waist and is the applique on the chest 4x4?
Thanks, Erin! It is the natural waist and the applique on the chest is a 4x4.

I can't wait to see what you create! When do you expect your new machine to arrive?

Judy

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
hey_jude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:18 PM   #1910
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Great job on the outfit. I hope it raised a lot of money for United Way.
Thanks, PurpleEars. I wasn't actually there the day of the auction so I don't know how much it raised but hopefully some little girl is happily twirling in it or will be in a few weeks.

Judy

Dec 1972 - offsite visit to Disney World / Dec 1975 - offsite visit to Disney World / Mar 1993 - Dixie Landings / Aug 2008 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2009 - All Star Music, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party / Aug 2010 - All Star Music, Bay Lake Tower / October 2010 - offsite visit to Disneyland, Mickey's Halloween Party / Aug 2011 - All Star Music / Aug-Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach, Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
Old 11-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #1911
hey_jude
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
What a cute dress and how great that you made it for a silent auction. I love the different Muppets on the dress!
Thanks!

Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 AM   #1912
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just wanted to share a Muppet themed dress I made for a United Way silent auction at work as well as chime in with answers on some of the questions on design sizes and thread and applique fabric:

These are all 4x4 designs on a size 4 Simply Sweet done with a variety of fabrics - Big Bird is a knit, Grover's nose is furry and the rest are cotton or cotton/poly blends. The thread is both Coates and Gutermann (because that's what the Fabricland closest to me sells).

Judy
That is an adorable dress, I hope the fund raiser went well.

Quote:

Those are adorable robes.

Our Disney day yesterday was great and now I'm back in the real world. Can't wait for our next trip......sometime in the near future, I hope.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:06 AM   #1913
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Those are so cute. I had a $25 gift card for Kmart in the junk drawer so I picked up those same towels for like $2.50 each to make robes for my kids and as gifts. I hope you don't mind me stealing your great idea.
I can't wait to see the ones that you make. I found the K-mart towels to be the perfect thickness for these robes. They aren't super thin towels so they will be nice and absorbent but they were thin enough to be easier to sew on. I did have a bit of trouble getting my machine to do the buttonholes on the terrycloth. I finally started putting some solvy on both sides of the terry cloth where the buttonhole was getting sewn and that helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
I am currently piecing together my first Simply Sweet. It's been going well, Aside from great confusion with the flipping of the bodice 4 different ways lol. Bodice is done, I just need to assemble the skirt. I'm really happy with how it looks so far! I am making a size 6 and altho i won't be doing an appliquee on this one I don't think. I'm thinking about the next one which will be appliqueed.
Once you make the Simply Sweet a couple of times, you can easily put one together in no time at all! I love that pattern because you applique the bodice and then sew it together so that the lining is against the child's skin instead of anything itchy. Depending on the size of the applique I want to do on the bodice, sometimes I've added an inch or so to the length of the natural waist version. It hasn't affected the fit at all.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 AM   #1914
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I won't be around for a while since we're leaving tomorrow morning for Disney for 9 days!! I'll have fun catching up when I get back. Meanwhile, I wish everyone happy sewing and to those getting those new embroidery machines, have fun playing with them!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post
I'd wear that shirt if it was my size! But I love Mater.
He'll get into it, I'm sure.

Well, this Friday I have a new side-by-side fridge coming, purchased through Black Friday sales! We didn't loose much food - we were coming up on grocery day and it really was just the freezer...the refridgerator part stayed cool.

Yesterday I spent the majority of the day with my mom at an urgent care place. She had fallen and was in a lot of pain and stressing about if she had broken or fractured in anyway, her hip. No broken bones, just pulled/strained muscles and what will amount to some bruising.

So I didn't have a lot of time to sew, although I did get a project ready to applique. And as soon as I put it together, I thought of an easier way.
So sorry to hear about your mother falling. She will no doubt be pretty stiff and sore for a few days. Glad there were no broken bones!

The little guy I made that shirt for spent Sunday evening in the ER. He leaned on the glass fireplace and ended up with second degree burns on both hands! He's 3. My daughter was applying lotion after his bath and he just randomly leaned on the glass. She had to take him yesterday to the children's burn unit in DC where they broke the blisters and medicated them and wrapped them again. The wraps have to stay on a week, but they were able to leave his thumbs and fingers out enough that he can use them. Never a dull moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Everyone!

So far we're having a great time! We made Rope Drop this morning and met Peter Pan, my biggest goals for the day. PP was awesome! And he loved our outfits. Here are dh and the kids waiting for the parade to start any minute now:

And the kids at the resort yesterday:

The weather swings from quite cold morning and night to hot right now, but it's all good!

Regards,
C.
What adorable little ones you have! They look great in their outfits! I hope you continue to have a wonderful time, and thanks for the tip about the weather. DH and I will be joining you there tomorrow! Can't wait!

Quote:

Judy
Great job! So nice of you to donate such an awesome item for charity. I'm sure some little girl is delighted to receive it!

Quote:

I love these robes!!! I will for sure have to make some for my grandchildren next year! Great job!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #1915
lynnanddbyz
Mouseketeer

Quilt Program

For Christmas Mom asked for a quilt program. She wants to be able to design quilts, try out different layouts, print out copies of her designs etc. She has not looked at which program she wants, she just asked for one. Any tips or suggestions? There are TONS out there and I do not know which ones are good and which are not. Also working on a budget. I thought someone here would have some suggestions. Thanks in advance.

lynnanddbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #1916
ladybug0506
Earning My Ears

Signature Quilt Help

I am sure that this has been asked 100 times but I can't seem to find an answer and thought maybe someone here could help. We are taking DS2 to Disney next week and my quilter MIL has agreed to make him a signature quilt as a keepsake of his first visit. I have read that the characters have an easier time signing with a fatter pen. The first pen we tried was one of the micron pens but it is just so skinny. We have also considered a sharpie but I don't want the ink to run. Has anyone made a quilt like this and found a marker that not only shows up but is permanent and easy for the characters to sign with? Thank you so much for your help - I really, really appreciate it!
ladybug0506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:50 AM   #1917
cogero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug0506 View Post
I am sure that this has been asked 100 times but I can't seem to find an answer and thought maybe someone here could help. We are taking DS2 to Disney next week and my quilter MIL has agreed to make him a signature quilt as a keepsake of his first visit. I have read that the characters have an easier time signing with a fatter pen. The first pen we tried was one of the micron pens but it is just so skinny. We have also considered a sharpie but I don't want the ink to run. Has anyone made a quilt like this and found a marker that not only shows up but is permanent and easy for the characters to sign with? Thank you so much for your help - I really, really appreciate it!
you should actually use a fabric marker, you can get them in Joanns or Walmart.

We have used them for pillow cases and the characters can grip them fine.

Etsy ID: ChiarasCouture2014 here we come... WDW, a cruise, F&G and more!!! Why don't we make this trip report about 2012 & 2013.
Christmas & My Happy Place Equals Perfection. - A Dec 2011 PTR
cogero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #1918
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Hi everybody, I wanted to come on and wish you a Happy Thanksgiving. I also wanted to let you know that we have had a few crazy days here at my house. My husband went to the dentist on Monday who felt a mass in his neck. Tuesday he went to the doctor who immediately sent him for an ultrasound. Yesterday he was admitted to the hospital and we were told to expect surgery that day. It turns out that my husband has a very large mass in his thyroid. He will have surgery but they have decided to send him to a surgeon who specializes in head and neck surgeries. It will probably take several days before we know what kind of mass it is and exactly what to expect. We are praying that it isn't cancer and that it is some other kind of mass.
I hope things are not as bad as they seem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love to stitch View Post
I'm trying to catch up again after not checking in for a couple of days. Everything looks wonderful.
I decided to use Disney Christmas fabric for my grandkids' Christmas outfits this year just because it's fun. But now it turns out they will get to wear them to see the Christmas decorations when we go to WDW on Monday
I used the Disney fabric for the appliques on my granddaughter's shirt and the bottom ruffle on her skirt.

And I used the Disney fabric for my grandson's vest.
They look awesome !

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogero View Post
you should actually use a fabric marker, you can get them in Joanns or Walmart.

We have used them for pillow cases and the characters can grip them fine.
Yup, fabric markers work wonderfully. I am also thinking of trying to freehand over the signature on my son's shirt so the sigs are sewn in.

5 more days.....

Last edited by pyrxtc; 11-28-2012 at 05:14 AM.
pyrxtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #1919
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Judy
That is beautiful - both the dress and it's purpose.

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #1920
Daisy'sMama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We cheated. Using 2 or 3 digitizers, I was able to purchase embroidery files to stitch out 12 (I think) of our favorite signatures. We tried sharpies and fabric pens and didn't love the results. This way, we will have autographs that don't wash out and are perfectly centered on our quilt squares.
Daisy'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: