Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #1756
Sarah_Rose
DIS Veteran

Hey there!

I've been lurking here for YEARS and enjoying everyone's wonderful customs, and other sewing projects. I started sewing about a year ago, because of some of the lovely things I've seen on this thread, and I wanted to create my own cute things for my own kids. I wanted to share my first Disney project with you guys, since I've taken so much inspiration from you guys over the years!

It's a mei tai baby carrier with Minnie Mouse ears on the "sleep hood" (used to keep baby's head from flopping around if they fall asleep) for our WDW trip in February. I have a few carriers and wraps already, but I wanted a cute Disney baby carrier to carry my DD around in, but nothing was calling to me, so I designed my own off of another mei tai that I have.

Thanks so much for looking! I've loved looking at everyone's projects so much!

Inaugural DOPEY CHALLENGE 2014, AoA February 2013, DLR (Christmas trip!) December 2011, DLR (DL Half Marathon) September 2011, AKL Kidani (WDW Half Marathon) 2011, CSR and the GOOFY 2010, WL and the WDW Half Marathon 2009 (2:29), Disneyland Resort Paris 2007, Off-Site 2006, ASMu 2002, Dixie Landings 2000

Last edited by Sarah_Rose; 11-15-2012 at 11:00 PM.
Sarah_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:28 PM   #1757
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Wow, you are so organized. I'm very impressed. I can't wait to see your finished products!
I like putting the fabric together, I hate the cutting part. I am trying something different and trying to get everything I know I have picked out cut so I can just sew when I want to sew and not have to get everything out and iron and cut and blech ... !!! It's my plan to cut more tomorrow so I can start on my shirts on Monday for my trip and maybe have my skirt done too so I can see if my mother is the same size and likes the style to make a skirt for her too. I know she'll want hers shorter than mine but I'm just worried about the waist. I found that gallon Ziploc fit most everything. The only time that will get tricky is for the Feliz dress since I want to use embellishments and won't know what I want until I am sewing.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM   #1758
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah_Rose View Post
Hey there!

I've been lurking here for YEARS and enjoying everyone's wonderful customs, and other sewing projects. I started sewing about a year ago, because of some of the lovely things I've seen on this thread, and I wanted to create my own cute things for my own kids. I wanted to share my first Disney project with you guys, since I've taken so much inspiration from you guys over the years!

It's a mei tai baby carrier with Minnie Mouse ears on the "sleep hood" (used to keep baby's head from flopping around if they fall asleep) for our WDW trip in February. I have a few carriers and wraps already, but I wanted a cute Disney baby carrier to carry my DD around in, but nothing was calling to me, so I designed my own off of another mei tai that I have.

That is OUTRAGEOUSLY CUTE! I love it. We had the Ergo carriers (still have them, just don't use them since my now-3-year-olds insist on running in opposite directions and can't stand being tied down.) and would have never thought to make my own. The ears are adorable. Funny, I was just going to post a question if anyone had ever added ears to a hoodie, I am planning to give it a whirl with a couple of fleece sweatshirts and was going to solicit advice. You did a great job! The baby is pretty cute too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I like putting the fabric together, I hate the cutting part. I am trying something different and trying to get everything I know I have picked out cut so I can just sew when I want to sew and not have to get everything out and iron and cut and blech ... !!! It's my plan to cut more tomorrow so I can start on my shirts on Monday for my trip and maybe have my skirt done too so I can see if my mother is the same size and likes the style to make a skirt for her too. I know she'll want hers shorter than mine but I'm just worried about the waist. I found that gallon Ziploc fit most everything. The only time that will get tricky is for the Feliz dress since I want to use embellishments and won't know what I want until I am sewing.
I use ziplocs too, it helps me stay organized, well, more organized.

I feel like I have lost a week, or more, of my life. I was SO sick for literally a week after we got back, and I am just now getting back to normal. I still have a lingering cough. In all, I had a tummy bug, a bout with flu-like symptoms, and a terrible chest cough. Hubby and both kids got the tummy bug so I had to deal with all 3 of them puking over the course of two days. It was pretty awful. They all three bounced back like nothing happend though, of course.

Here is my latest project, I bought this fabric a while ago, maybe a couple of months, with the intention of making shirts for my kids' playmates who have a birthday this weekend, they are boy/girl twins and turning 3, they are only a couple weeks younger than my duo. They have a camping themed party Saturday, so I made these camp shirts. They are the Fishsticks everyday camp shirt pattern. I think they went together OK, but if I use it again I will leave off the pocket, it doesn't really add much I think and the shirt is so narrow that I feel like it takes up 1/2 of the shirt. I am glad I had the Carla C basics, I think this would have been a little confusing. The way she described measuring/calculating the button spacing I still don't understand. I sort of winged it.

The blue is the boy, the brown the girl. I had lofty aspirations of adding a ruffle to the girl shirt but I just wanted to be done. I figure a camp shirt should be sort of tomboyish, which this little girl is anyway. You will have to excuse the crummy photos, my good camera was broken 1/2 way through our Disney trip by one of my charming little birthday boys, and the lighting in my sewing room is terrible.

I have also managed to cut fabric for two different quilts for Christmas gifts, cut out 5 of the Carla C raglan hoodies from Fleece remnants, two for each of my boys and one for my nephew. And I signed up to do two shirts for the big give so I need to get cracking on those. Somehow my to-do list didn't get any shorter even though we are back from our trip. I also want to make a bowling shirt for my nephew for Christmas and matchy PJ pants for everyone for Christmas eve. My brother, nephew and mom are supposed to be coming from Colorado for Christmas, but now my mom might not be able to because she is having surgery next week.

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 09:26 PM   #1759
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:
Hey there!

Very Cool !! I love how it looks and can't wait to see what else you've done. You are very brave for making a baby carrier. I don't know if I trust my sewing enough to hold up something so precious. maybe by the time my sister has her's I will. Where did you get the pattern for the basic part of it ?
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM   #1760
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Everything looks wonderful! So sorry the mandarine collar shirt is too short. You did a beautiful job on it. I hope you can work something out so you can wear it. I would love to get those oven mitts in a gift exchange! So many times you get such lame gifts that you have no use for. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I guess I will find out what I get in the gift exchange in a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Ladies,

I need some honest opinions. This is my Snow White skirt that I'm working on. The bottom will be a wide red band like the yoke. The back is the same. Is this just too loud or silly for an adult woman to wear? Can you think of anything I could do to embellish it to polish the look a little bit? I will topstitch each seam.

Thank you!
C.
I like it the way it is, but then again, I wear Disney customs to work, so I am probably not the most reliable judge on this.

Quote:
I am prepping for next week when I bring my machine to my Dad's and get some sewing done there.
I have 8 things cut and ready to sew. I need a few notions but other than that, they are completely ready.
A tote for the teacher and 2 shirts and a skirt for me....

Slippers for me...

Also some mittens for me out of sherpa backed suede.....

I also have a vintage jumper and top and a Feliz dress cut out and ready to be sewn. I am trying to do stuff for me since I have no little girl to try these dresses out on and am getting frustrated with making all this stuff and it never seeing the light of day. I have had to alter every pattern I have cut out to fit me. The tops all go from a 22 on the bust to and 18 on the hips. I also added an extra inch to the bust on one in length to cover my bust better. I made a muslin out of both tops already after alterations and they came out fitting perfectly. I also altered the tunic (dress pattern) so that there was no zipper in the back but I moved it to up a side seam so I could get it on over my bust. One of the shirts will be Mickey/bowling type shirt inspired and the other is Asian inspired and I will wear it on my trip in a few weeks. I will wear it to Epcot for the member mixer. My Mickey one I am hoping to wear to MK to visit Fantasyland.
Looks like you have your projects all sorted out and ready to go. I am never that organized!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
Hurray for being famous!

I think that if you added some bias tape to the sleeve hems as well in the same color as the contrast band/ruffle that it would make the shirt look like it was INTENDED to be that way.

Sunshine
Thanks. I like the bias tape idea. I will have to play with the idea and see how I can make it work.

Quote:
Have fun at your gift exchange and I hope you get back something as lovely as those oven mitts that you made.

I saw your review right on the front page of YCMT!
Thanks. I will share what I get in the gift exchange next week.

Quote:
Hey there!

Welcome! You did a great job with the cover!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
I feel like I have lost a week, or more, of my life. I was SO sick for literally a week after we got back, and I am just now getting back to normal. I still have a lingering cough. In all, I had a tummy bug, a bout with flu-like symptoms, and a terrible chest cough. Hubby and both kids got the tummy bug so I had to deal with all 3 of them puking over the course of two days. It was pretty awful. They all three bounced back like nothing happend though, of course.

Here is my latest project, I bought this fabric a while ago, maybe a couple of months, with the intention of making shirts for my kids' playmates who have a birthday this weekend, they are boy/girl twins and turning 3, they are only a couple weeks younger than my duo. They have a camping themed party Saturday, so I made these camp shirts. They are the Fishsticks everyday camp shirt pattern. I think they went together OK, but if I use it again I will leave off the pocket, it doesn't really add much I think and the shirt is so narrow that I feel like it takes up 1/2 of the shirt. I am glad I had the Carla C basics, I think this would have been a little confusing. The way she described measuring/calculating the button spacing I still don't understand. I sort of winged it.

The blue is the boy, the brown the girl. I had lofty aspirations of adding a ruffle to the girl shirt but I just wanted to be done. I figure a camp shirt should be sort of tomboyish, which this little girl is anyway. You will have to excuse the crummy photos, my good camera was broken 1/2 way through our Disney trip by one of my charming little birthday boys, and the lighting in my sewing room is terrible.

I have also managed to cut fabric for two different quilts for Christmas gifts, cut out 5 of the Carla C raglan hoodies from Fleece remnants, two for each of my boys and one for my nephew. And I signed up to do two shirts for the big give so I need to get cracking on those. Somehow my to-do list didn't get any shorter even though we are back from our trip. I also want to make a bowling shirt for my nephew for Christmas and matchy PJ pants for everyone for Christmas eve. My brother, nephew and mom are supposed to be coming from Colorado for Christmas, but now my mom might not be able to because she is having surgery next week.
I am sorry to hear that it is taking you a long time to recover. Your project looks great. I hope your mom will recover from her surgery quickly.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 AM   #1761
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Hi Ladies,

I need some honest opinions. This is my Snow White skirt that I'm working on. The bottom will be a wide red band like the yoke. The back is the same. Is this just too loud or silly for an adult woman to wear? Can you think of anything I could do to embellish it to polish the look a little bit? I will topstitch each seam.

I'm in a full-on panic to get a few more things done since it looks like it will be cold! goteamwood - I hope you won't mind if I case your opposite colors easyfit pants idea! I made Christmas Mickey shorts for the boys, but I really don't think we're going to be wearing shorts very often. (I hope I'm wrong, but better safe than sorry!)

Thank you!
C.
I was going to suggest exactly what Sunny suggested: eliminate the yellow. But either way, at Disney, it would be fine. You're doing a great job on it! I hope the weather is good enough for shorts at least part of the time! We're leaving in 13 days and I'm packing twice as much as usual since the weather is so unpredictable. I'll be looking for your skirt while we're there and will say hello if I spot you!

Quote:
I think it will be fine for Disney. Not like you are wearing it to the office.

I am prepping for next week when I bring my machine to my Dad's and get some sewing done there.
I have 8 things cut and ready to sew. I need a few notions but other than that, they are completely ready.
A tote for the teacher and 2 shirts and a skirt for me....

Slippers for me...

Also some mittens for me out of sherpa backed suede.....

I also have a vintage jumper and top and a Feliz dress cut out and ready to be sewn. I am trying to do stuff for me since I have no little girl to try these dresses out on and am getting frustrated with making all this stuff and it never seeing the light of day. I have had to alter every pattern I have cut out to fit me. The tops all go from a 22 on the bust to and 18 on the hips. I also added an extra inch to the bust on one in length to cover my bust better. I made a muslin out of both tops already after alterations and they came out fitting perfectly. I also altered the tunic (dress pattern) so that there was no zipper in the back but I moved it to up a side seam so I could get it on over my bust. One of the shirts will be Mickey/bowling type shirt inspired and the other is Asian inspired and I will wear it on my trip in a few weeks. I will wear it to Epcot for the member mixer. My Mickey one I am hoping to wear to MK to visit Fantasyland.
Wow! You have a lot of projects! But, you're right, once you cut things out, the actual sewing goes fairly quickly. I enjoy each phase of the project I guess. It certainly is more fun to sew, but I like to cut it out too. I know, I'm a little strange. Good luck getting everything done!

Quote:
Hey there!

Okay, seriously cute!! And the carrier isn't bad either! What a great idea, and you did a wonderful job! Thanks for sharing.

Quote:

I'm glad you are finally starting to feel better. My last bout with bronchitis seemed to go forever! It's not fun being sick for so long, and having to care for others in the midst of it is the pits! You poor thing. Hopefully you'll get stronger each day. I found the worst thing was being so tired for so long. Be better!

Love the shirts! You did a really nice job on them. I agree with you're thoughts on the pocket. Sounds like you're going to be pretty busy between now and Christmas! Good luck and have fun with all your projects.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:52 AM   #1762
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Hey there!

This turned out so awesome! I am sure you will have many people approaching your in WDW and wondering where you found it! I know this is totally dorky of me, but I love how the Minnie ears show whether the hood is on the baby or off. So sweet. And of course, your dd is just precious!

Quote:

I am glad you are starting to feel better. And I think the camp shirts turned out great - I see what you mean about the pocket though. I bet the kids will love them!

D~
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:22 AM   #1763
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hey there!

That is an adorable carrier and baby.

Quote:
That is OUTRAGEOUSLY CUTE! I love it. We had the Ergo carriers (still have them, just don't use them since my now-3-year-olds insist on running in opposite directions and can't stand being tied down.) and would have never thought to make my own. The ears are adorable. Funny, I was just going to post a question if anyone had ever added ears to a hoodie, I am planning to give it a whirl with a couple of fleece sweatshirts and was going to solicit advice. You did a great job! The baby is pretty cute too.

I use ziplocs too, it helps me stay organized, well, more organized.

Those are great shirts.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #1764
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey there!

Just adorable! And the baby carrier is great too! So creative the way you made the mouse ears and the bow. Welcome to the group and please share more things you've made!

Quote:
It sounds like you will be ready to sew, sew, sew once you get there!

Quote:
I think they went together OK, but if I use it again I will leave off the pocket, it doesn't really add much I think and the shirt is so narrow that I feel like it takes up 1/2 of the shirt. I am glad I had the Carla C basics, I think this would have been a little confusing. The way she described measuring/calculating the button spacing I still don't understand. I sort of winged it.

I have also managed to cut fabric for two different quilts for Christmas gifts, cut out 5 of the Carla C raglan hoodies from Fleece remnants, two for each of my boys and one for my nephew. And I signed up to do two shirts for the big give so I need to get cracking on those. Somehow my to-do list didn't get any shorter even though we are back from our trip. I also want to make a bowling shirt for my nephew for Christmas and matchy PJ pants for everyone for Christmas eve.
I am glad that you are finally starting to feel better. It has been a long road for you since your trip. I hope that your mom's surgery goes will and that she can join you for Christmas. The camp shirts turned out great. I do agree that the pocket doesn't seem necessary and kind of takes away from the shirt on such a small size shirt. I think if it were a bigger shirt, it would be cute though. It sounds like you have a lot to do between now and Christmas. But you seem to be a fast sewer so I'm sure you will get it all done.

This week I made pool robes. Somebody posted a link to a free tutorial over the summer and it has been on my mind to make them since then. I am very happy with how they turned out. I alter the directions on the tutorial just slightly because I thought she cut too much off the sides of the towels and left the arm openings a but too small.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #1765
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2
Just adorable! And the baby carrier is great too! So creative the way you made the mouse ears and the bow. Welcome to the group and please share more things you've made!

It sounds like you will be ready to sew, sew, sew once you get there!

I am glad that you are finally starting to feel better. It has been a long road for you since your trip. I hope that your mom's surgery goes will and that she can join you for Christmas. The camp shirts turned out great. I do agree that the pocket doesn't seem necessary and kind of takes away from the shirt on such a small size shirt. I think if it were a bigger shirt, it would be cute though. It sounds like you have a lot to do between now and Christmas. But you seem to be a fast sewer so I'm sure you will get it all done.

This week I made pool robes. Somebody posted a link to a free tutorial over the summer and it has been on my mind to make them since then. I am very happy with how they turned out. I alter the directions on the tutorial just slightly because I thought she cut too much off the sides of the towels and left the arm openings a but too small.
Those pool robes are really cute. I love the snorkel Mickey and Minnie. I got those designs to make pool bags for my kids swim lessons and now we are on hiatus until spring and I never got around to it. I might have to steal the idea and make pool robes too. Are they just cut from a beach towel?

Old 11-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1766
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Those robes are stinkin cute! Great job. I love the snorkel Minnie and Mickey!

I just got back from JoAnn's and found this Christmas fabric. I had never seen it before, so not sure if it's new. New to me, though, and at 65% off all Christmas fabric, I snagged a few yards.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #1767
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I just got back from JoAnn's and found this Christmas fabric. I had never seen it before, so not sure if it's new. New to me, though, and at 65% off all Christmas fabric, I snagged a few yards.

AAAAAHHH - I'm trying to be super good and work from my stash (especially Disney related because I don't really have a good reason to buy more Mickey fabric) and then you go and show this!

Oh well, I'll just have to work on my will power.

I'm posting and running, but I love all the great items people posted!! Robes, carriers, shirts and all!!
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #1768
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Those robes are stinkin cute! Great job. I love the snorkel Minnie and Mickey!

Darn you! I was just there yesterday and did not see this. Nor do I need it. But I *need* it if you know what I mean... it's a real problem. The licensed stuff was all 50% off so I did splurge on some Buzz and Woody flannel to make either PJ pants or pillowcases or maybe both for my kiddos. And I scored big in the remnants and got a couple licensed remnants that were 50% off 50% off so that was good. Hooray for remnants. I do need a little more fleece, which I usually try to score in the remnants too, so maybe I will just need to swing by there...

Old 11-16-2012, 04:34 PM   #1769
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02

Quote:

Got some of that a few weeks ago, 3 yards I think. I'm not sure what I'll be doing with it but I might pair it with some of last year's design that I got over the summer. Crossing my fingers I can be good tomorrow when I go to the fabric store for notions and no fabric.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #1770
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The pool robes are cute! Great job!

Quote:

That is cute fabric! I can't wait to see what you'll make with it.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: