Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 09:15 AM   #1681
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
Just realized last night that I leave the day BEFORE the Grand Opening of Fantasyland. I hope we can get in while we are there and check it out ! Then I will have been able to see Carsland and the new Fantasyland brand new in the same year !!
Maybe they will have a "soft" opening while you are there to make sure everything goes properly. I think that they frequently do that.

Quote:
To all my NH friends on here, found this on craigslist.... Mint Condition Janome Memorycraft 300E Embroidery Machine - $125

Since I spent my money on Disney, maybe someone would want this ?
What a great deal!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #1682
sweetstitches
Mouseketeer

Oh my! I haven't been on here in so long we only had 4 kiddos! Got to change that!!!

Mom to 6 adopted blessings
DS 21, DD 17, DD 15, DS 9, DS 6 & DS 1

Polynesian--5/98, 5/99, 6/00, 12/08
sweetstitches is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #1683
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

My serger class was just ok. I'm glad I didn't pay for it since she did a lot of talking but not much instructing. During the last 15 minutes I hurriedly asked the questions I had. She just read the manual to "teach" us how to do a rolled hem. Talked a lot about classes she had taken back in the day and the old sergers and just meaningless stuff.

Quote:
OMG !!! I just booked a room and flight to go to WDW December 2-5, 2012 with a girlfriend !! I really should have stayed off the boards !! My husband is so awesome !!!
How awesome!! We'll be there until Dec. 6, but staying at Pop. Have fun planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goteamwood View Post
Hooray! Sounds like fun. I think an impromptu trip would be a lot of fun, I stressed myself out so much with planning and counting down for 6 months was torture!

---

Sooo...my photopass CDs came today, and will more than 800 to chose from I picked a few to share. I aimed for 4, settled for few more than that...
(I made them smaller than usual since I already took up so much space. but if you click on them you can see them larger on flickr.)

First, my duo the 1st night meeting the Big Man for the 1st time. It was TOO cute. I am SO thankful the PP photog got so many great ones, since I took exactly 1 photo of this moment. And then 3 days in one of the kids broke my camera. Totally worth the money in my opinion.

And here is the much-requested all of us in our bowling shirts photo. I love this photo and I think it showcases the shirts great too.

I made my friend go meet Sully and Mike W just for the photos. They LOVED her shirt.

And with Donald at our Safari breakfast, all of our shirts together. Can't tell that Minnie mouse shirt was 3 tries and almost drove me to the brink of insanity. Also, the embroidery area is about 3" thick since it is many layers...

My boys got lots of comments on the cute Halloween "Pajama pants" but I think they looked adorable. And when we got home, my husband unpacked them into the PJs drawer so I guess they are PJs.

My favorite shirts (it was a tough choice) for my boys were these pirate shirts. And they got to meet Hook and Smee, which blew their little pirate-lovin' minds.

And Peter Pan told them he really liked them and wanted to take them back to Never Land with him, even though they were pirates.

And our whole group photo at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I made the boys' costumes, my husband's Peter Pan shirt and hat, my costume and a shirt for Tick Tock Croc (which was green on green and just said Tick-Tock on the belly.)

I was so bummed, I had the boys posing in front of Pirates of the Caribbean in their costumes and they totally hammed it up, the photos turned out so bad, they are so washed out you can barely see. But 5/800 isn't bad...

And finally, the whole fam at Chef Mickey's, you can see my husband's shirt, the boys' shirts and pants and the polka dots of mine, it has Minnie on it, but she's hidden.

we look like a tired bunch who had a very full week at Disney.

As for my little Disney souvenir plague, unfortunately I am still pretty sick. I now have a horrible cough and ended up at the Doctor today because I was coughing up blood. He said it is just a virus and there's not much I can do. Thankfully my lungs were clear and Oxygen levels normal, so no pneumonia. He said it was likely the flu, which btw has been a terribly crummy way to spend the week.
Your work looks amazing and I love everything you did! What a cute family you guys are! So sorry you are still not feeling well. Hope you get better very soon!

Quote:
I am so sorry - but I jsut have to share one more bag... This bag turned out so awesome, the fabrics were perfect for it, and I just love it... It was my first time using Fairy Frost, and that fabric is just gorgeous. The texture of it is a bit different than what I usually use - but it really made this bag more "formal" looking? I would never use it for all of my bags, however - I can really see certain bags taking on a whole new effect with this fabric.

Thanks for letting me share - again.

D~
Don't apologize for sharing your awesome work! That is strictly forbidden. I think everyone on this thread wishes we could do what you do so well.

Quote:

Just realized last night that I leave the day BEFORE the Grand Opening of Fantasyland. I hope we can get in while we are there and check it out ! Then I will have been able to see Carsland and the new Fantasyland brand new in the same year !!
Actually, the soft opening begins on November 19th, so you'll be good to go. You can check out BOG for lunch which I hear is absolutely amazing. You order from a kiosk and sit down and your meal is brought to you on a little trolly and served on china with real silverware. We have an ADR for dinner on the 28th of November and I hope to eat lunch there as well. You will have a blast with your friend!
Old 11-10-2012, 10:59 AM   #1684
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Okay, I have to ask you all. Am I the only one who does this? Buy fabric I love so much I don't want to cut into it??? It's really crazy. I have Christmas fabric to make skirts for my Granddaughters and you all were so helpful suggesting patterns for them and I keep putting off actually cutting the fabric. I did this a long time ago when Holly Hobby was popular. I bought a brushed corduroy fabric with HH on it and never used it because I hated to cut into it!! I think back then I was afraid I would ruin the fabric. Ended up selling it at a yard sale so someone with small girls could get some use out of it. Tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way!! Is there a cure???
Old 11-10-2012, 03:06 PM   #1685
strega7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Okay, I have to ask you all. Am I the only one who does this? Buy fabric I love so much I don't want to cut into it??? It's really crazy. I have Christmas fabric to make skirts for my Granddaughters and you all were so helpful suggesting patterns for them and I keep putting off actually cutting the fabric. I did this a long time ago when Holly Hobby was popular. I bought a brushed corduroy fabric with HH on it and never used it because I hated to cut into it!! I think back then I was afraid I would ruin the fabric. Ended up selling it at a yard sale so someone with small girls could get some use out of it. Tell me I'm not the only one who feels this way!! Is there a cure???

I do the same thing, the first cut is always the hardest!

On another note, for all that do embroidery and applique on a machine, I was wanting a program that I could combine designs, or create my own. I was trying to research online, but the options are overwhelming. If you use a program, what do you use, and what would your recommend? Thanks

Marci
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:18 PM   #1686
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sooo...my photopass CDs came today, and will more than 800 to chose from I picked a few to share. I aimed for 4, settled for few more than that...
(I made them smaller than usual since I already took up so much space. but if you click on them you can see them larger on flickr.)

First, my duo the 1st night meeting the Big Man for the 1st time. It was TOO cute. I am SO thankful the PP photog got so many great ones, since I took exactly 1 photo of this moment. And then 3 days in one of the kids broke my camera. Totally worth the money in my opinion.

And here is the much-requested all of us in our bowling shirts photo. I love this photo and I think it showcases the shirts great too.

I made my friend go meet Sully and Mike W just for the photos. They LOVED her shirt.

And with Donald at our Safari breakfast, all of our shirts together. Can't tell that Minnie mouse shirt was 3 tries and almost drove me to the brink of insanity. Also, the embroidery area is about 3" thick since it is many layers...

My boys got lots of comments on the cute Halloween "Pajama pants" but I think they looked adorable. And when we got home, my husband unpacked them into the PJs drawer so I guess they are PJs.

My favorite shirts (it was a tough choice) for my boys were these pirate shirts. And they got to meet Hook and Smee, which blew their little pirate-lovin' minds.

And Peter Pan told them he really liked them and wanted to take them back to Never Land with him, even though they were pirates.

And our whole group photo at Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. I made the boys' costumes, my husband's Peter Pan shirt and hat, my costume and a shirt for Tick Tock Croc (which was green on green and just said Tick-Tock on the belly.)

I was so bummed, I had the boys posing in front of Pirates of the Caribbean in their costumes and they totally hammed it up, the photos turned out so bad, they are so washed out you can barely see. But 5/800 isn't bad...

And finally, the whole fam at Chef Mickey's, you can see my husband's shirt, the boys' shirts and pants and the polka dots of mine, it has Minnie on it, but she's hidden.

we look like a tired bunch who had a very full week at Disney.

As for my little Disney souvenir plague, unfortunately I am still pretty sick. I now have a horrible cough and ended up at the Doctor today because I was coughing up blood. He said it is just a virus and there's not much I can do. Thankfully my lungs were clear and Oxygen levels normal, so no pneumonia. He said it was likely the flu, which btw has been a terribly crummy way to spend the week.
Thank you so much for sharing the pictures. The adult bowling shirts were great - I hope you will give them a whirl again at some point even though you had problems with this set. I hope you will feel better soon. Please make sure that you take some time off and give yourself time to heal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I am so sorry - but I jsut have to share one more bag... This bag turned out so awesome, the fabrics were perfect for it, and I just love it... It was my first time using Fairy Frost, and that fabric is just gorgeous. The texture of it is a bit different than what I usually use - but it really made this bag more "formal" looking? I would never use it for all of my bags, however - I can really see certain bags taking on a whole new effect with this fabric.

D~
Thank YOU for sharing the bags and please don't apologize for sharing them. I enjoy seeing your work (especially now that I have seen one in real life)! The fabric does add another dimension to the bag. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Quote:
My serger class was just ok. I'm glad I didn't pay for it since she did a lot of talking but not much instructing. During the last 15 minutes I hurriedly asked the questions I had. She just read the manual to "teach" us how to do a rolled hem. Talked a lot about classes she had taken back in the day and the old sergers and just meaningless stuff.
Too bad the serger class was not good - I hope you had fun broswing around and shopping before the class.

Quote:
Nope, I am the same way. I have some fabric that I have been hoarding since I don't know when and I still can't cut into them. I think we have a Fabric Hoarders Anonymous Club going here at one point, though I am still waiting for my membership card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
On another note, for all that do embroidery and applique on a machine, I was wanting a program that I could combine designs, or create my own. I was trying to research online, but the options are overwhelming. If you use a program, what do you use, and what would your recommend? Thanks

Marci
I use Stitch Era which is a free program. It is NOT the most user friendly software but it does what I need. I dabbled into digitizing my own designs with that software but I simply don't have enough time to be good at it. I will use my own design on my own things but certainly I don't feel confident enough to sell them.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:57 PM   #1687
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I'm the same way. My problem is I wing it all the time and hate wasting good material on one of my Wingings Gone Bad.

Maybe if you try to concentrate on the girls actually wearing the finished project...

Now planning for 2014 - 10th Anniversary
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #1688
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
This is so sad - I know how much you were looking forward to this class... FWIW, I learned my serger totally and completely on You Tube... You'll probably find just what you need to learn if you search for it, and have much better luck.

Quote:
Don't apologize for sharing your awesome work! That is strictly forbidden. I think everyone on this thread wishes we could do what you do so well.
Thanks Lois...

Quote:
Believe it or not - I do have a philosophy about this - and I have heard that it's helped many people cut into their fabric... Are you ready for it???

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Go ahead - cut into it... How much did it cost you? Really... Maybe $8 or $9/yd??? Perhaps a little more? If you cut into it now and "wreck it" - you can still buy more. All your out of is your time. So, go grab that scissors and wreck it! Then go buy some more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
Thank YOU for sharing the bags and please don't apologize for sharing them. I enjoy seeing your work (especially now that I have seen one in real life)! The fabric does add another dimension to the bag. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!
Thanks Flora!

D~
DMGeurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:22 PM   #1689
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:

Love seeing all your outfits in action. They all looked amazing.

Sorry to hear you were still not feeling well. Those type of Disney souvenirs you don't want to linger

Quote:
W

D~

Quote:
It is called FHA ----> Fabric Hoarders Anonymous and YES I have it with all my Disney fabric

Quote:
Believe it or not - I do have a philosophy about this - and I have heard that it's helped many people cut into their fabric... Are you ready for it???

Wait for it...

Wait for it...

Go ahead - cut into it... How much did it cost you? Really... Maybe $8 or $9/yd??? Perhaps a little more? If you cut into it now and "wreck it" - you can still buy more. All your out of is your time. So, go grab that scissors and wreck it! Then go buy some more.

D~
No No No .... you can never cut into it because it might NEVER be available again.

And that is why you have to stock up and buy the whole bolt... just in case

----> YES I DO HAVE A PROBLEM
Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #1690
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So sorry that your class wasn't everything that you hoped it would be. How frustrating!

Quote:
Okay, I have to ask you all. Am I the only one who does this? Buy fabric I love so much I don't want to cut into it??? It's really crazy. I have Christmas fabric to make skirts for my Granddaughters and you all were so helpful suggesting patterns for them and I keep putting off actually cutting the fabric.
I have to say that I don't really feel the same way. But I absolutely understand why you feel that way. I agree with Dorine. I figure that the most I can waste is a few dollars and a little bit of my time. I have cut into plenty of fabric, started something and then ended up ruining it. It is all part of this hobby. Sometimes I can save whatever it was that I was making and sometimes I can't. The good thing about fabric is that there is always so much more that I want versus what I can actually use!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
No No No .... you can never cut into it because it might NEVER be available again.

And that is why you have to stock up and buy the whole bolt... just in case

----> YES I DO HAVE A PROBLEM
And that's why we too much money on Etsy for little bits of fabric that I saw somewhere one time and we NEED to have! Like that fabric that I saw on FB recently with the pink and purple castles. I nearly broke down and ordered it right that minute even though I am trying to sew only from my stash right now. It is so hard to quite buying fabric cold turkey!

Old 11-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #1691
billwendy
DIS Veteran

Hi Everyone - so sorry I haven't been posting much lately, lots of "stuff" going on right now - my health (possibly my gallbladder now), hurricane Sandy stuff (our house in Ocean City was heavily damaged), and my cousin with all the kids that I have sewn for was just diagnosed with Esophogeal Cancer on Friday.....

BUT - on a HAPPY NOTE!!!!

Shawn-Brooklyn is going on his MAW trip!! He is taking a 4 day Disney Cruise followed by a day in each park! Please come and help him have a wonderful trip! He is finally healthy enough to travel, and has been sick most of his life. He has had his transplant plus weathering complications and is ready to go and meet MICKEY MOUSE!!!!!!

If you aren't already a member of the Big Give, please come and join us, we'd love to have you!!! Just click on the link in my siggie!!!

Thanks so much friends!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #1692
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

FABRIC?!?!

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good online fabric stores?? I checked out the bookmarks and all the "obvious" stores like JoAnne's, Hancock, fabric.com, etsy, eBay...

I'm looking for a place that sells "euro/boutique" type fabrics. I'm specifically looking for a nice striped knit.

Any ideas?! Thank you!!

HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #1693
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn
FABRIC?!?!

Can anyone point me in the direction of some good online fabric stores?? I checked out the bookmarks and all the "obvious" stores like JoAnne's, Hancock, fabric.com, etsy, eBay...

I'm looking for a place that sells "euro/boutique" type fabrics. I'm specifically looking for a nice striped knit.

Any ideas?! Thank you!!
I have never bought from here but found the selection unique. I'm not brave enough to tackle knits just yet tho!
http://www.girlcharlee.com/

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 PM   #1694
HLAuburn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have never bought from here but found the selection unique. I'm not brave enough to tackle knits just yet tho!
http://www.girlcharlee.com/
Thank you! Close, but not the colors I needed. Definitely marked the website for next project though!

Any other ideas??

HLAuburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:56 PM   #1695
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLAuburn View Post
FABRIC?!?!

Any ideas?! Thank you!!
Try the Fabric Fairy http://www.thefabricfairy.com/

or the Purple Seamstress on FB. Honestly I get much of my knit fabric on Etsy. There are always people on there who have a great selection. They also have knits from Ottobre on there. Definitely very European looking but the prices are super high! I love working with knits.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: