Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #1576
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
I have thought about doing that too... I just wasn't sure if it would be worth the cost - defainately not a full price, but they don't seem to get marked down very quickly either.
So, for curosity... If you take the elastic out of the back of the scrub - are there tons of needle holes left in the fabric? That was one thing that concerned me.
I love that fabric too! And I would definately save it until next year.
D~
No elastic in the back of their scrubs, just side seams and sleeves to take apart. It seems that they forget to mark the Halloween scrubs down, I had to ask and they were already priced down but not marked yet. I hope that they'll still be around to hit the 90% and then I'll grab some more. I think I foresee a nice halloween dress.....

I will know by this afternoon if I am doing the girl's trip, I can't wait !
Old 11-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #1577
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Speaking of sergers, what kind of thread do you use in yours? While browsing yesterday I saw some really inexpensive spools of overlocking thread, but I'm always leery about buying things that are so cheap. Any thoughts?
I actually found cheap thread had performed very well for me - both in my serger and in my sewing machine. In many ways, I can't really tell the difference between my cheapo thread and the brand name thread I got from Fabricland. The only place I am picky about thread is for embroidery since I noticed a difference based on the thread used.

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #1578
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Speaking of sergers, what kind of thread do you use in yours? While browsing yesterday I saw some really inexpensive spools of overlocking thread, but I'm always leery about buying things that are so cheap. Any thoughts?
I've used that cheap serger thread a bunch of times. It works great. I have bought all the colors that they have and use it frequently. I only buy the expensive serger thread when I need a color that they don't have.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #1579
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Almost finished. I haven't done the sash yet. The one on the picture is just a piece of fabric pinned to the dress for effect.

This is the new Lauren Pattern from Funktional Threads. Its the first time I've done an elastic back a dress. that part came out better than I expected.

Unfortunately I have to leave for a business trip first thing tomorrow morning, so I won't get to see how it fits my daughter until Thursday.

2012-11-03 23.48.10 by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 AM   #1580
smile5sunshine
Think of the happiest thing, it's the same as having wings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
Almost finished. I haven't done the sash yet. The one on the picture is just a piece of fabric pinned to the dress for effect.

This is the new Lauren Pattern from Funktional Threads. Its the first time I've done an elastic back a dress. that part came out better than I expected.

Unfortunately I have to leave for a business trip first thing tomorrow morning, so I won't get to see how it fits my daughter until Thursday.
This dress turned out lovely. Sorry that you'll be busy at work and have to wait to see it in action, but I know she'll love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrxtc View Post
I haven't sewn at all since before Halloween and finishing the clown costume and the dress. I was bad and looked at the halloween stuff on clearance everywhere and picked up some small stuff but avoided getting any costumes at all. I did let something catch my eye though and it cost me $32. I was walking by the dressing room and Mickey caught my eye. I didn't know Walmart sold scrubs..... I found a Mickey halloween print on a scrub top and had to ask if they were being clearanced too. Unfortunately they were and I bought 4 of them in sizes 2X and 3X for the fabric. I just spent 30 minutes taking one apart and I have some very useable pieces. I'll have to think hard about what I want to do with these now. In the 2X, the front and back each give me 2ft by 1.5 ft. It is all 100% cotton.

This is what I got.....

now the question is what to make ....... or to save it for something special ???

I am loving everything posted, the halloween jeans look awesome and a lot of work. I really should be staying off of here though because thanks to all the catch-up reading I now really want to go to Disney World soon. I even got my DH to say that I could take a girls only trip in December, I just need some girls to go with now. Hopefully my friends husbands let them go too.
I say save it for next year and see what you are inspired to make then. Great find though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAMom View Post

We have had a lot going on here. My DD got engaged in Disney when we were there the beginning of October. My youngest Grandson was baptized in September so we had my Son, DDIL and my grandchildren here. They are 4 and 2 and really keep you busy!!!! It was heartbreaking to send them back to OK at the end of September. I made my Emily a Grace dress to wear.
Here she is with my DH

And a matching tie for her brother Edward
Here he is with his perpetually untucked shirt looking for trouble in the middle of the baptism!

My Mom made the baby's gown. She made it very simple out of cotton eyelet.
It's not every baby that has a Christening Gown made by his great grandmother

My Mom (holding Gus) and my Aunt
[IMG]

Mary
the Grace dress is beautiful and the tie came out perfect! how special for the baby's garment to be made by his great-grandmother!

In news around here, in addition to sewing for my friend who's planning a Disney trip in late Dec., I've also picked up a bit of diaper sewing for my Dh's cousin who is expecting TWINS! I worked on that a bit today. Also, I am thankful that there is one extra hour in this day because tomorrow is my eldest DD's bday and I have yet to start on any sort of birthday outfit for her to wear! Can we say "procrastination"?

Sunshine
smile5sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:40 AM   #1581
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleEars View Post
I actually found cheap thread had performed very well for me - both in my serger and in my sewing machine. In many ways, I can't really tell the difference between my cheapo thread and the brand name thread I got from Fabricland. The only place I am picky about thread is for embroidery since I noticed a difference based on the thread used.
Thanks! I'm glad to hear this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
I've used that cheap serger thread a bunch of times. It works great. I have bought all the colors that they have and use it frequently. I only buy the expensive serger thread when I need a color that they don't have.
Thanks! I did sign up for a free class for my serger which will be this Thursday. I checked utube and didn't find anything for my particular machine, but I did learn a few general things. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:

This is adorable! You sure are busy with work. Hope you are able to get everything done before your trip to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
In news around here, in addition to sewing for my friend who's planning a Disney trip in late Dec., I've also picked up a bit of diaper sewing for my Dh's cousin who is expecting TWINS! I worked on that a bit today. Also, I am thankful that there is one extra hour in this day because tomorrow is my eldest DD's bday and I have yet to start on any sort of birthday outfit for her to wear! Can we say "procrastination"?

Sunshine
Yikes! Hope you get something finished for her. If you look up procrastination in the dictionary, you'll see my picture! I once got a book on procrastination, but never got around to finishing it.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:19 AM   #1582
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

That looks great! Too bad you won't get to see how it looks on her until later this week but I am sure it will be very cute. I haven't bought the Lauren pattern yet. I just bought a bunch of Olabelhe patterns and I want to try all of them before I purchase another pattern.

Quote:

Sunshine
That's great that you have some paying sewing jobs. It is nice when a hobby can start making you a little bit of extra $$$$. I hope you can come up with a cute outfit for your dd's birthday.

Quote:
Yikes! Hope you get something finished for her. If you look up procrastination in the dictionary, you'll see my picture! I once got a book on procrastination, but never got around to finishing it.
You sounds like my DH. Several years ago his home office was a total disaster (which is how it usually looks) and I decided to help him clean it up. As we cleaned up the office, we found 7 books on organization! I told him that if he'd read just one of them and then not bought the others, his office would be a lot more organized. His office is still a huge mess. I guess he never read any of those books in the end.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 AM   #1583
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
No elastic in the back of their scrubs, just side seams and sleeves to take apart. It seems that they forget to mark the Halloween scrubs down, I had to ask and they were already priced down but not marked yet. I hope that they'll still be around to hit the 90% and then I'll grab some more. I think I foresee a nice halloween dress.....

I will know by this afternoon if I am doing the girl's trip, I can't wait !
I will have to look again... There were a couple that I was looking at this fall that had elastic on the back. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote:

This turned out great! I just love the fabrics you chose - I saw them on FB, and just thought they were perfect together. Sorry you won't get to see it on her until Thurs - but I bet it will be worth the wait.

Quote:

Sunshine
WOW!!! And Happy Birthday to DD!!!

D~
DMGeurts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #1584
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
well, you lose internet and miss so much. The pages just jumped forward. I'm glad everyone came out of Sandy unscathed here.

I haven't sewn at all since before Halloween and finishing the clown costume and the dress. I was bad and looked at the halloween stuff on clearance everywhere and picked up some small stuff but avoided getting any costumes at all. I did let something catch my eye though and it cost me $32. I was walking by the dressing room and Mickey caught my eye. I didn't know Walmart sold scrubs..... I found a Mickey halloween print on a scrub top and had to ask if they were being clearanced too. Unfortunately they were and I bought 4 of them in sizes 2X and 3X for the fabric. I just spent 30 minutes taking one apart and I have some very useable pieces. I'll have to think hard about what I want to do with these now. In the 2X, the front and back each give me 2ft by 1.5 ft. It is all 100% cotton.

This is what I got.....

now the question is what to make ....... or to save it for something special ???

I am loving everything posted, the halloween jeans look awesome and a lot of work. I really should be staying off of here though because thanks to all the catch-up reading I now really want to go to Disney World soon. I even got my DH to say that I could take a girls only trip in December, I just need some girls to go with now. Hopefully my friends husbands let them go too.
What a good idea! I am going to have to keep my eye out for Disney scrubs!
Old 11-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #1585
SallyfromDE
DIS Veteran

Question:

Can anyone recommend a Digitize program? I have some $$ and would like something easy to work with.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #1586
Tami0220
Chip & Dale Fanatic

My sister lives in Russia and uses this I hope the link works needlework.ru they have some great designs and are about the same price as the others listed on this board.

And yes, I grabbed the Quattro machine. Just got home from vacation yesterday and told myself I have to clean my sewing room before I can play with it.

Thanks for the heads up on the scrubs, I will check out my Wal-mart and see if they still have some. Crossing my fingers

Tami & Mike
Tami0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #1587
love to stitch
Mouseketeer

Quote:

The dress is adorable! You did a great job.

love to stitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:07 PM   #1588
nannye
DIS Veteran

I am finally getting some time to figure out my serger. I have a singer stylist and I am wondering if there are any recommendations for a website or something that will serve as a reference for what type of stitches to do for what type of sewing you are doing.

For instance I am going to be making a stripwork skirt and I remember during my very brief demo of the machine at the store that one type of stitch is better than another for sewing the strips together. It is a stronger seam. I am just starting to figure it out so I wanted to check first if there was a resource to help while I figure it out because well the Manual is...... a manual

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #1589
goteamwood
DIS Veteran

Just got back!

Just got back from our amazing trip and thought I would share some outfit photos in action. We got SO many comments when my friends and husband and I all wore our bowling shirts, but I didn't get any photos of the 6 of us with my camera, just photopass (which I can't download because I have more than 800 photos and they have to ship me a disc. tough problem to have, eh?)

I am glad to hear everyone came out OK of the storm, who would have thought that Florida would be the place to be for a major hurricane? We had a few cool days, nothing really below 50° though. And the last 2 days were actually really warm. Not a drop of rain the entire week though.

We stayed at the Art of Animation in Cars, which my boys LOVED. We went around every night to say goodnight to them and give them hugs.

1st Day at DHS, Potato Head shirts were a HUGE hit. Monsters Inc and Wall-E and Buzz for the grownups were too. When I get the photopass ones I will share, they are awesome.

Epcot and Dinner w/ Mickey, Chip, Dale and Pluto at Garden Grill. Mickey loved the shirts, and the food was awesome.

Before park opening breakfast at Crystal Palace, all of us in Tigger shirts.

Then that evening at MNSSHP. (photopass has better photos of all of us, and from the front. We had the cutest Hook, and the ONLY Smee I saw under 40.

'Ohana breakfast (also amazing food.) w/ Stitch and co. One shirt had a mishap even before we left the hotel so it was hand-washed and still soaked. Oh well. Later on the one that is pictured here that wasn't messed up in the a.m. was totally RUINED when the kid wearing it FELL ASLEEP eating a Mickey Bar.

Halloween Shirts and Pants at MK then on to DTD for dinner and Potato Head piece shopping.

Adorable Safari outfits, also got a ton of comments.

Buzz Lightyear shirts, more photo ops with Buzz, a couple of spins on his ride in MK and the longest line we waited in all week? Tinkerbell for my smitten boys' huge crush. I left my camera battery in the hotel that day so this phone pic is all I have that day!

Pirates and Pals fireworks cruise that night, which was awesome and SO MUCH fun. Plus my boys got to meet Hook and Smee which I don't think are in the parks anywhere that we ever found.

Yesterday we had Birthday breakfast w/ Mickey and the gang at Chef Mickeys, and the boys' had a moment of sadness when they realized we had to go home. They literally sat down on the curb and told us they were sad and didn't want to leave.

If you want to see lots more I posted on my website it's goteamwood dot com. Today is the boys' actual birthday, but I am not sure they understand that since we've been partying for a week!

goteamwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #1590
mollyjean99
Earning My Ears

Great pics

I love the pics from the resort. We will stay at Art of Animation for a few days wen we go as well as the cabins at Fort Wilderness. I also love all of the outfits you made! I will post pictures soon of my weekend craft-a-palooza. Stay warm and thank you all for the motivation
mollyjean99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: