Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #1501
DMGeurts
Never open texts with the "Hand Sewn Button" attachment!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannye View Post
Hi everyone.
Question about a ruffler. I am going to look into seeing if I can get one for my sewing machine, I have somewhat low end brother or my mom has an old Kenmore.

Knowing really nothing about a ruffler other than it has GOT to be easier than doing a ruffle by hand.... I was wondering would it be suitable to do a gather on a waist to fit a skirt into a waistband for instance?

Thanks
Erin
I just wanted to quick answer you too Erin...

Carla C has a wonderful ruffler tutorial - it's how I figured out my ruffler... It's a free pdf, and I think it's available on YCMT... It's called "The Ruffler Unruffled"... HTH>

Sewmess.... I love your mug rug - you don't give yourself nearly enough credit - you do beautiful work. YOu should be very proud of that!

Disney52303
WOW!! You have been busy! And how awesome - 3 trips in one year... I was just thinking to myself, I have a trip planned with the girls in October - but how awesome would it be to drive down in June -while they are out of school and do a fun (short) trip??? Seriously thinking about it.

D~ <---Darn military discount, makes me want to take a trip every month for the next year. Sigh.
DMGeurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #1502
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
Sandy is coming to visit us too and we'll get her at the outskirts so we'll have loads of wind (which we already do) and tons of flooding. Several schools are closed and since Monday is supposed to be the worst I 'm sure the kids will be home a couple of days. Our district hasn't closed yet, but it will. The bummer is I have a third doctor's appt on Tuesday and I know it will have to get moved. This appt is for my neck and shoulder pain which is unrelated (as I have been told) to any of my other issues. But I did get refills on my pain meds so I'll be fine. I am now being treated as having severe seasonal allergies -- I've always had seasonal allergies and they've never wiped me out like this, but whatever. I'm on new meds so we'll see what happens. I still have times where I feel OK but I get fatigued so easily.

We are also getting a visit from Sandy. My kids have already had school canceled for Monday and Tuesday. I guess we will see what happens with the rest of the week.

Sorry you still aren't feeling very well. Have you been tested for Lyme Disease? It sounds like you have some of the symptoms for that. My DH just tested positive for it and has been put on antibiotics for the next 3 weeks. I hope you can manage to get to the dr on Wednesday.

Love the Halloween outfit. It turned out great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewmess View Post

I love the mug rug. It turned out great! And I love the Grumpy mug that is sitting on it. I need one of those too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney52303 View Post
Hi Ladies!! I have definitely been MIA for a good month. October is rough this year. 10/5 was the one year anniversary I lost my mom (kidney failure after 50+ years with dialysis, she lived with us for the last 6-7 years).

We just found out that we will be home from work tomorrow thanks to the impending hurricane. While I'm thrilled for a day off, NOT FOR THIS (again), ugh. I just pray pray pray we don't lose power.
Sorry to hear about the anniversary of losing your mom. That must have been hard! Love all your projects, especially the race shirts and the dance bag. 23 steps is a lot of steps for one ballerina! I once did an applique that had 57 steps and it nearly drove me nuts! We'll also be home for the next couple of days and I am really hoping that we can keep our power on.

Quote:
Hi everyone.
Question about a ruffler. I am going to look into seeing if I can get one for my sewing machine, I have somewhat low end brother or my mom has an old Kenmore.
I've never used a ruffler to do a skirt. Getting the ruffles exactly the length you need with my ruffler has always been tricky. I've read CarlaC's tutorial about the ruffler but her tricks for adjusting the length of the ruffler's ruffles never seems to work quite right for me. The ruffler is a wonderful, wonderful way to make loads of ruffles relatively quickly. If you are doing a ruffled skirt or planning to fill in the back of a dress with rows of ruffles, the ruffler is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
I think Flora is right - so the seamstress can choose the seam allowance width they prefer. I have a couple books on couture sewing. I seem to recall reading that Coco Chanel used 3/4" or more sa's! And hand finished edge stitching on interior seams! No thanks! French seams, yes, hand bound instead of serged? Uh-uh!
That makes sense but I don't really like tracing the patterns and remembering to add the seam allowance. I guess I'm no Coco Chanel because I avoid hand stitching whenever possible. I even love the button sewing foot on my machine so I don't have to hand sew buttons. LOL!

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #1503
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
It was fun chatting with you! I hope we didn't sound cranky... I realized on the way home that we really should have had dinner before we met up - but by the time we realized we should eat something, we would have been really late for the meet... and I didn't want to risk missing you. We left the mall immediately and stopped to eat at our favorite restaurant (Jimmy Johns)... and honest - went straight home and straight to bed. We were probably sound asleep before you got to the airport. LOL

Glad you had a good flight and got home early. It was super fun meeting you!

D~
No, you guys were not cranky at all. It was a lot of fun to meet our Disboutique friends in real life. I should have told you that I had planned to get dinner on the way so you weren't wondering if I would be hungry. I was pretty tired by the time me meet as I had been doing these close to 12 hour days for 5 days at the conference. I *think* I got to bed at 1 (which is 2 in Central time), it was such a blur lol.

Quote:
A quick hello and post of pics. I have not quoted but I've looked at everything and all are doing fabulous work.

Sandy is coming to visit us too and we'll get her at the outskirts so we'll have loads of wind (which we already do) and tons of flooding. Several schools are closed and since Monday is supposed to be the worst I 'm sure the kids will be home a couple of days. Our district hasn't closed yet, but it will. The bummer is I have a third doctor's appt on Tuesday and I know it will have to get moved. This appt is for my neck and shoulder pain which is unrelated (as I have been told) to any of my other issues. But I did get refills on my pain meds so I'll be fine. I am now being treated as having severe seasonal allergies -- I've always had seasonal allergies and they've never wiped me out like this, but whatever. I'm on new meds so we'll see what happens. I still have times where I feel OK but I get fatigued so easily.

Anyway, here are horrible pics of dd's halloween outfit -- she's worn it once and still hasn't worn her Halloween skirt this year and won't be able to given that I wonder if we will even have school on Wednesday. Makes me quite sad. I will try to take better detailed pics eventually.....

I hope you will be able to get a rescheduled appointment quickly. The Halloween outfit loots great. I really like the ghost applique! I hope your family stays safe during Sandy's visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile5sunshine View Post
So I'm really excited! I just had a friend ask me if I would be willing to do some sewing for her for her upcoming Disney trip! They are leaving two days after Christmas. YIPPPPEEEE for me!

Sunshine
That sounds like so much fun to be able to sew for a friend. I look forward to seeing what you make for them!

Quote:
Okay: this is technically Disney (they own Marvel Comics)& although it's not clothing, it is definately a boutique item:

Captain America's 1940s Shield Mug Rug modeling my DH's favorite mug:

Upclose of the applique - not as pretty as some, but I decided I like the looser zig zag.

I'd also like to point out that it's not my sewing that's all wonky, it's my cutting that you can see through the sewing.
The mug rug looks great! Good job!

Quote:
Hi Ladies!! I have definitely been MIA for a good month. October is rough this year. 10/5 was the one year anniversary I lost my mom (kidney failure after 50+ years with dialysis, she lived with us for the last 6-7 years). I was a mess the couple weeks before and after... then DH traveled to PR for work after Columbus Day... then I had a girls' weekend in Chicago last weekend (very much needed!). I have a bunch of pictures, nothing super crazy but a few things I've made that I don't think I've yet shared!

I LOVE everything I have been reading for the past 20 or so pages. There is way way way TMTQ!

tutu dance bag for DD, her name is on the other side. Love the ballerina, but it is TWENTY THREE steps!

iPhone case I whipped up to take to a fall fest at a winery (I added a clip to it for my belt loop)

very dark picture but these are valances (lined) I made for our daycare provider. They're all jungle animals and the names of all the animals are on there; I thought it was adorable

race shirts. You all can appreciate this, they took FOREVER to stitch out. The slippery athletic shirts did not help! But they turned out cute, I think. I had a 30 day trial of Embird and made the wording (yes Disney font lol, it was all I had that was the right size). There were 6 of us in Chicago, we wanted to match for our run (the reason we planned the trip was a race). I got roped into making us matching shirts lol. Our names are on the fronts of each in pink glittery thread (which I loathe, the shredding oh my gosh, any tips for this?). But, in the end, we got SO MANY compliments. I wish I had business cards!!!

luggage markers I made for a customer (I love saying that!). The pirate is a mess up lol that I cut out and will attach to something. I don't want to jinx myself but I was in contact with the DIS welcome center and they asked me to send some. Crossing my fingers...

shirts for a customer (sorry for the poor picture, taken with the iPad at work - like my 70's carpet!). The road runner was for a retired guy who REALLY wanted this character. It is VERY hard to find but he paid me the $10 for the design at my request... I now have the entire Looney Tunes set lol.

I took DD to see Mary Poppins and meet the actors after (it was a group thing through her dance studio) and I made her the cutest skirt but I can't find a picture. I will have her wear it again.

We just found out that we will be home from work tomorrow thanks to the impending hurricane. While I'm thrilled for a day off, NOT FOR THIS (again), ugh. I just pray pray pray we don't lose power.

Next up are finishing the kids Halloween costumes (both handmade this year, I hope we have ToTing), and Christmas-themed outfits for our surprise Disney weekend next month to Boardwalk. My nieces (two of them) both have birthdays in November, as does my DD, so I'm planning on ruffle pop skirts in lightweight corduroy along with appliqued shirts. I have Tink for the soon to be 3 year old and a turquoise and brown retro floral print for the soon to be 7 year old, will post pics of ALL THIS soon!

I was trying to clean my sewing area as it's right near our basement slider and we will 99% sure have water come in... I was organizing all my printed patterns into a binder and DD found my Carla C dolly patterns. She begged me to make her an outfit for Halloween. If we have power tomorrow that could be a perfect project.

We are going to WDW THREE TIMES in the next 13 months, first time ever. I got amazing deals on flights and paid less than 1 set for both thanks to miles and promotions. Coupled with DVC and an amazing deal on premium annual passes, we can actually make it work. I just managed to get the last DVC studio for Beach Club next May, which I am super stoked to make outfits for. It's also our tenth anniversary so it will be a very special trip. We were married at the Poly and will be going to the luau. November 2013 we're staying at AKL so we'll have lots of fun themes to work with )
I am sorry to hear that October has been rough. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been for you on the anniversary of your mother's passing. It looks like you had been very busy though and everything look great. I really like the race shirt set!

It's fanastic that you'll get to go so many times in the next 13 months. I look forward to seeing what you make for the trips!

Quote:
Hi everyone.

Knowing really nothing about a ruffler other than it has GOT to be easier than doing a ruffle by hand.... I was wondering would it be suitable to do a gather on a waist to fit a skirt into a waistband for instance?

Thanks
Erin
I use my ruffler to do gathers to fit a skirt to a waistband or a bodice. I also use it to do gathers for patchwork twirl layers. The only thing I would suggest is to spend a little bit more money and get a Brother ruffler instead of a generic. The generic foot I got caused me no end of grief. The Brother one was MUCH better - I used it on my CS-8060 (before it died) and 270 without any problems.

I think one plus with the European patterns where you had to add seam allowance is that you could sew along the traced lines (which may be good if you have trouble keeping a consistent seam allowance and/or if there are lots of curves involved).

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #1504
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to update that I now have the White Powerlock Serger. I managed to tie the loose thread ends to the spools of thread (I guess the owner never used it again after it was serviced as it still had the test piece in) and get them through and reset the tension.

It seems to be set fairly good (the thread could be a tad tighter everywhere).

It is missing the waste tray and one of the spool holders, doesn't seem to affect the stitch. Thankfully they were able to find the Instruction Manual and the spool adapters, the presser foot for rolled hems and the needle plate for the rolled hems.

No time to post photos, I have to get to bed.

My dad was so nice- he offered to go and pick it up for me on Friday so I wouldn't have to go at night (about 50 min drive).
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:09 AM   #1505
NiniMorris
DIS Veteran

Wow!

I can't believe how long it has been since I have been here! I was looking for my sewing mojo and decided to look here Still not sure I have found it, but I really enjoyed my last hour of looking!

For those not on Facebook, my big news is my daughter is expecting their first baby in May! With all the cancer and chemo worries, it was great to discover she was able to get pregnant their first month of trying.

We are at a little less than 25 days until our next Disney trip...(a few hours less) and I still have the Grand Princess's dress for Akershus and at least 8 shirts to finish...and ...horror of horrors...I HAVE NOT STARTED PACKING YET!!!

By now, I should have had all the major luggage packed and ready to go, and had the Disney box restocked and repacked. Sheesh...I don't even have the grocery list for Disney finished...and I am SUPPOSED to go shopping today!

Homeschooling is starting back up this morning, after a wonderful Fall break!

On Friday, after weeks of bugging him about which vehicle we were taking to Disney, he went to get the oil changed in my van and to have them give it the once over (making sure it was ready to take the 7 hour trip)...and he came home with a NEW van! It was the best Birthday present I ever got! You have to know that I gave up on the new car every year after I quit work about 8 years ago. I bought my last van used a little over 5 years ago. Truthfully, there was nothing really wrong with the van, it was just starting to show its age. This one is the same model...just 6 years newer! (with all those wonderful bells and whistles!)

Off to do 'something' for Disney...not sure what!

Nini

Mom to Brianna and Damien
Grandma to Alyssa and Amelia
My four little reasons for Disney

Etsy id: QuiltsbyNini
http://quiltsbynini.blogspot.com/

2012? No Problem...but when?

NiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #1506
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Just wanted to update that I now have the White Powerlock Serger. I managed to tie the loose thread ends to the spools of thread (I guess the owner never used it again after it was serviced as it still had the test piece in) and get them through and reset the tension.

It is missing the waste tray and one of the spool holders, doesn't seem to affect the stitch. Thankfully they were able to find the Instruction Manual and the spool adapters, the presser foot for rolled hems and the needle plate for the rolled hems.
Congratulations on the new machine! Can't wait to see what you start making with it. You'll love having a serger. It makes the inside of your garments look so clean and professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiniMorris View Post
Wow!
For those not on Facebook, my big news is my daughter is expecting their first baby in May! With all the cancer and chemo worries, it was great to discover she was able to get pregnant their first month of trying.

We are at a little less than 25 days until our next Disney trip...(a few hours less) and I still have the Grand Princess's dress for Akershus and at least 8 shirts to finish...and ...horror of horrors...I HAVE NOT STARTED PACKING YET!!!

On Friday, after weeks of bugging him about which vehicle we were taking to Disney, he went to get the oil changed in my van and to have them give it the once over (making sure it was ready to take the 7 hour trip)...and he came home with a NEW van!
Nini
Glad you came back to visit us on here! It sounds like lots of good stuff is happening for you. Future grandchild, new car, trip to Disney! They all sounds super! How awesome!

I am sure that you will get everything finished for the trip and then I am sure you will have a wonderful vacation. I hope we helped you find your sewing mojo.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 AM   #1507
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGeurts View Post
Thanks for meeting with me Flora - I hope you had a good flight home and are gettng some time to relax today!

D~
What a great picture

Quote:
Anyway, here are horrible pics of dd's halloween outfit -- she's worn it once and still hasn't worn her Halloween skirt this year and won't be able to given that I wonder if we will even have school on Wednesday. Makes me quite sad. I will try to take better detailed pics eventually.....

Love the pants and the ghost on the back. Did you open up the sides of the jeans to do that? I have been thinking of doing that to DD's jeans but not sure if I feel like ripping them open.

Too bad about getting the appt changed. I do pray they can figure out what is going on for you.

Quote:

Okay: this is technically Disney (they own Marvel Comics)& although it's not clothing, it is definately a boutique item:

Love the Mug Rug... that is ingenious

Quote:
Hi Ladies!! I have definitely been MIA for a good month. October is rough this year. 10/5 was the one year anniversary I lost my mom (kidney failure after 50+ years with dialysis, she lived with us for the last 6-7 years). I was a mess the couple weeks before and after... then DH traveled to PR for work after Columbus Day... then I had a girls' weekend in Chicago last weekend (very much needed!). I have a bunch of pictures, nothing super crazy but a few things I've made that I don't think I've yet shared!

I LOVE everything I have been reading for the past 20 or so pages. There is way way way TMTQ!

luggage markers I made for a customer (I love saying that!). The pirate is a mess up lol that I cut out and will attach to something. I don't want to jinx myself but I was in contact with the DIS welcome center and they asked me to send some. Crossing my fingers...

We are going to WDW THREE TIMES in the next 13 months, first time ever. I got amazing deals on flights and paid less than 1 set for both thanks to miles and promotions. Coupled with DVC and an amazing deal on premium annual passes, we can actually make it work. I just managed to get the last DVC studio for Beach Club next May, which I am super stoked to make outfits for. It's also our tenth anniversary so it will be a very special trip. We were married at the Poly and will be going to the luau. November 2013 we're staying at AKL so we'll have lots of fun themes to work with )
Wow you have been busy. Everything looks great and I love those luggage tags you made.

That is awesome that you have 3 trips planned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
W
I've never used a ruffler to do a skirt. Getting the ruffles exactly the length you need with my ruffler has always been tricky. I've read CarlaC's tutorial about the ruffler but her tricks for adjusting the length of the ruffler's ruffles never seems to work quite right for me. The ruffler is a wonderful, wonderful way to make loads of ruffles relatively quickly. If you are doing a ruffled skirt or planning to fill in the back of a dress with rows of ruffles, the ruffler is great!
Same here. I've tried the ruffler foot on my serger but I found I really like ruffling by hand.

Quote:

My dad was so nice- he offered to go and pick it up for me on Friday so I wouldn't have to go at night (about 50 min drive).
Congrats on your new machine... and how sweet of your dad to pick it up for you.

Quote:

On Friday, after weeks of bugging him about which vehicle we were taking to Disney, he went to get the oil changed in my van and to have them give it the once over (making sure it was ready to take the 7 hour trip)...and he came home with a NEW van! It was the best Birthday present I ever got! You have to know that I gave up on the new car every year after I quit work about 8 years ago. I bought my last van used a little over 5 years ago. Truthfully, there was nothing really wrong with the van, it was just starting to show its age. This one is the same model...just 6 years newer! (with all those wonderful bells and whistles!)

Nini
Congrats on your new van.... and only 25 days left
Old 10-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #1508
strega7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyRapunzel View Post
Well here is DD2's Halloween costume. Had trouble with the Jessie applique, her pants should've been white, but it said black. Oh well. We are going to pumpkin patch tomorrow, so it will have to do.

I love this outfit. Really cute, I had no idea the Jesse pants were opposite, in fact I had to look at it several times to figure out what was different about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HppyCamprs View Post

This is the outfit that has taught me so much and caused me lots and lots of frustration but it is finally finished and my DD looks so stinking cute in it that it was all worth it! The legs are the same length and the arms match in real life!! I promise
Super cute! Looks great on her too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivey_family View Post
Ok, I finished the Feliz last night. I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm not anxious to make another anytime soon. I changed the pattern just slightly and attached the straps on the inside in the back instead of inside the seam. She needs them really short right now, but then I can adjust it next year without tearing major seams apart. Now I have to teach dd how to twirl!

So, now to shift gears to Christmas Mickey shorts for the boys and a skirt for me. Then I'll need to get all our tshirts prepped. We're spending Thanksgiving weekend at my parents in TN on our way down to WDW, so I'll be embroidering about 12 shirts in 2-3 days while there. Most of them are super simple designs, though, so it should go pretty quickly if I have everything marked and stabilized ahead of time.

Regards,
C.
Wow! That must have taken forever to sew. I love the way it looks on her. Good luck on all that emroidering, I hope to be able to embroider that fast some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monkeys View Post
Yay, so excited it worked! I am please with how the skirt turned out since I have only done shorts and a bowling shirt!
Really cute skirts and shirts. You have applique down! I hope someday I can applique and have it look as smooth as your stuff. Sorry your daughter is in and out of the hospital.

Quote:
We are getting ready for a visit from Sandy. Hopefully we will keep our power but we'll see what happens.
I am praying for all of you East Coasters!

Quote:
A quick hello and post of pics. I have not quoted but I've looked at everything and all are doing fabulous work.

I hope your get to feeing better soon. I hate it when the Dr's blame everything on allergies. I love your Halloween outfit, and it looks like your DD loves it too.

Quote:

I don't see anything wonky with it. I love captain america, and this turned out adorable.

Quote:
You have been busy! Love everything you put together, and can't wait to see more!

I also adored the Peter Pan dress, and the Winnie the Pooh and Farm dress. Super cute. I want to try a dress sometime, but don't have a daughter to sew for. I may have to go bug the neigbor across the street as she has two little girls : )

I just finished my little red riding hood cape for halloween, and am working on a halloween themed peasant shirt to wear with the jean skirt I made from DS old jeans. I will post pics as soon as I finish the shirt. I hope all of you east coasters stay safe, I am thinking about you today.
strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #1509
sewmess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Wow!

I can't believe how long it has been since I have been here! I was looking for my sewing mojo and decided to look here Still not sure I have found it, but I really enjoyed my last hour of looking!

By now, I should have had all the major luggage packed and ready to go, and had the Disney box restocked and repacked. Sheesh...I don't even have the grocery list for Disney finished...and I am SUPPOSED to go shopping today!

Nini
Wow! busy life. I don't think mine would ever come back with a new van, but he likes to put off until the very last minute to decide which car as well. Men..

Wonderful news about your daughter and potential grandbabies.
Have fun on your trip!!

[QUOTE=DMGeurts;46571613]
Sewmess.... I love your mug rug - you don't give yourself nearly enough credit - you do beautiful work. YOu should be very proud of that!
[B][U]

QUOTE]

Thanks D~ and everyone else!! I am just coming to realise that I'm not as bad a sewer as I think I am. I do tend to see the flaws, rather than the good stuff.

For anyone wanting to try their hand at quilting, I highly recommend Mug Rugs. They're small, quick, can be easily pieced or appliqued.

FOR EVERYONE ON THE EAST COAST: my prayers are with you all. . .It's bee a while since a weather event of this kind hit y'all.
'90:School 3 days at 3 parks + 3day Diz cruise (pre DCL) 2004: POP, 6 months after wedding to DH 2006: ASMovies DSis 50th b'day 2008: POR Herding Cats (Apr) 2008: ASMovies Redo/Freezing Bits Off (Nov) 2009 & 2010: CBR just DH & me 2011: CBR Herding Different Cats 2012: CBR Alone Again, Happily 2013: Time Out from the YotS
sewmess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #1510
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strega7 View Post
I also adored the Peter Pan dress, and the Winnie the Pooh and Farm dress. Super cute. I want to try a dress sometime, but don't have a daughter to sew for. I may have to go bug the neigbor across the street as she has two little girls : )
Glad you liked my Winnie the Pooh and farm dresses.
I just wanted to say that if you think sewing for little girls would be fun, then you should sign up for one of the Big Gives. There are very often little girls in the Big Give families. It is so fun and so rewarding to sew for a family taking a Wish Trip to Disney. The families always love everything that we send.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #1511
PrincessMickey
Mouseketeer

It feels like it's been forever since I've posted here, seems like there is always something getting in the way. Todays something is my dad was driving early this morning and hit a deer. Did alot of damage but he is ok which is all that matters. My brother had to go pick him up because I had to get the kids to school. My parents only have one car so I will be sharing my car with them until the car gets fixed or they total it and they get a new one. We shall see, the car is at a shop over an hour away so I will probably have to go out there tomorrow to get everything out.

Everything posted lately is wonderful, way to much to quote though!!

Prayers for all you in the storms path, I know alot of you are out that way. Stay safe and stay warm and hopefully you don't lose power.

PrincessMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #1512
strega7
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Glad you liked my Winnie the Pooh and farm dresses.
I just wanted to say that if you think sewing for little girls would be fun, then you should sign up for one of the Big Gives. There are very often little girls in the Big Give families. It is so fun and so rewarding to sew for a family taking a Wish Trip to Disney. The families always love everything that we send.
I probably will at some point, I am just not that confident in my sewing ability yet.

Here is the shirt I made for myself for Halloween today, we will see if I am brave enugh to wear it to work on Wed.

strega7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #1513
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Congrats on your new serger. I am sure you will enjoy using it!

Quote:
Wow!

Nini
Welcome back! I was thinking about your family the other day. I hope you found some sewing mojo as quite a few nice things have been posted lately. Congrats on your daugther getting pregnant. I am sure they are beyond thrilled! And wow, a new van for your birthday, that should make the trip to Disney much more fun and enjoyable!

Quote:

I just finished my little red riding hood cape for halloween, and am working on a halloween themed peasant shirt to wear with the jean skirt I made from DS old jeans. I will post pics as soon as I finish the shirt. I hope all of you east coasters stay safe, I am thinking about you today.
I would like the second the suggestion of sewing for Big Gives. I know the families really appreciate anything and everything we make for them. If the thought of doing dresses sounds intimidating to start, you can always make non-clothing items like pillowcases and eye spy bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessMickey View Post
It feels like it's been forever since I've posted here, seems like there is always something getting in the way. Todays something is my dad was driving early this morning and hit a deer. Did alot of damage but he is ok which is all that matters. My brother had to go pick him up because I had to get the kids to school. My parents only have one car so I will be sharing my car with them until the car gets fixed or they total it and they get a new one. We shall see, the car is at a shop over an hour away so I will probably have to go out there tomorrow to get everything out.

Everything posted lately is wonderful, way to much to quote though!!

Prayers for all you in the storms path, I know alot of you are out that way. Stay safe and stay warm and hopefully you don't lose power.
I hope your dad is ok after hitting a deer. That must have been very scary.

Quote:
Here is the shirt I made for myself for Halloween today, we will see if I am brave enugh to wear it to work on Wed.

The shirt looks fantastic! You should wear it to work proudly!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:07 PM   #1514
squirrel
DIS Veteran

Question Christmas Gift Ideas?

I'm making gifts for the children in my daycare. For most of them I will be making crayon roll ups. There are a few that I gave to last Christmas and they already have crayon roll ups.

The only thing I can think of is a tooth fairy pillow for the boys (2 four year olds) and a magic bag. I also need something for a 3 yr old girl who already has a crayon roll up.

Any ideas?
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 09:09 PM   #1515
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

I have to post fast because the power keeps blinking off. DH told me to stay off the computer because he doesn't want it ruined with a power surge.

Quote:
I probably will at some point, I am just not that confident in my sewing ability yet.

The shirt looks great! You definitely look ready to sew for some Big Gives to me. Even if you do pj pants and purchase t-shirts, the families LOVE everything that we send and it is really touching.

Quote:
I'm making gifts for the children in my daycare. For most of them I will be making crayon roll ups. There are a few that I gave to last Christmas and they already have crayon roll ups.

The only thing I can think of is a tooth fairy pillow for the boys (2 four year olds) and a magic bag. I also need something for a 3 yr old girl who already has a crayon roll up.

Any ideas?
How about eye spy bags. They are good for boys and girls. The kids love them. You could also do super hero capes. Beth (Disneyjazz) made some for all her preschool kids last year and they absolutely loved them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: