Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Drew770
Earning My Ears

Fantasy Engine Room and Bridge Tours

Has anyone on a Fantasy cruise been able to get an Engine Room or Bridge Tour?

I am one of "Those Guys" who just finds that kind of stuff fascinating!
Drew770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #2
maria-fan-22
DIS Veteran

I am one of "Those guys" too, but Disney does not offer them, and they have been getting more and more strict about allowing even special guests in these areas.

I'm on Twitter! @DCLdude

http://dcldude.webs.com/
maria-fan-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

They have started doing virtual tours of the some of the behind the scenes areas on the giant screen up on Deck 9 (Magic/Wonder) and Deck 11 (Dream/Fantasy). I am pretty sure the Engine room was one of them.

We were on the Magic this weekend and they showed the virutal tours in the middle of the afternoon, if I can remember. I did not watch them but I heard the announcement that they would be showing.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Drew770
Earning My Ears

That may "Scratch the Itch" a little bit.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
peabody58
I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!

Carnival does an excellent 'Behind the Fun' tour which DW and I really enjoyed on the Fasination last year. The Engine Room is really the 'manuvering' area, not the diesels and heavy machinery. you see the 'I-95' lower deck areas, the bridge, manuvering, crew areas and some other areas that escape me now.

As a former MM1/SS with 8 SSBN and 2 surface FFG 'aka' 'target' cruises under my belt, I still find the inner workings of a ship fasinating. Seeing the logistics end of running a cruise ship is mind boggling to say the least. If you ever get a chance to go on one of these type of tours, take it.

DL 66-68; Off-site: 77/90/91; POR 92/94; BC 8/99; WL 3/10; BLT 9/10; SSR 12/10; OKW 5/11; BLT 9/11; HHI 4/12; BLT 10/12; WBC 4/13; AKL-K/BCV 9/13; VB/VGF 9/14
peabody58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
Drew770
Earning My Ears

I was an Aviation Logistics officer in the Marines. The logistics of moving that many people, feeding, cleaning up after, and taking care of the waste (garbage as well as what gets put in the head) is nothing short of miraculous when one thinks about it.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
pschnebs
Fountain of Useless Disney Info

Another former squid here - LT with one FF cruise, one SSBN cruise, and numerous shorter deployments (AO, FF, CG, and SSN) under my belt.

I guess it's a natural to want to see how running a passenger ship compares with our Navy/Marine experiences. Too bad DCL doesn't offer this as an option - I mean, if the government was willing to give us security clearances, I think we could be shown these kind of areas backstage without safety risks, right?

pschnebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #8
CoolHandsGirl
Mouseketeer

I tried to request this for my husband when we were on the Fantasy. Explained that he is a retired naval officer and would love to see the bridge or an engine space and even with our family booked in three concierge rooms that trip it was sadly no go. It was the only request that the concierge couldn't accommodate. Oh well.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabody58 View Post
Carnival does an excellent 'Behind the Fun' tour which DW and I really enjoyed on the Fasination last year. The Engine Room is really the 'manuvering' area, not the diesels and heavy machinery. you see the 'I-95' lower deck areas, the bridge, manuvering, crew areas and some other areas that escape me now.

As a former MM1/SS with 8 SSBN and 2 surface FFG 'aka' 'target' cruises under my belt, I still find the inner workings of a ship fasinating. Seeing the logistics end of running a cruise ship is mind boggling to say the least. If you ever get a chance to go on one of these type of tours, take it.

I am pretty sure all that will be ending with the new rules coming out after the Concordia.

The raw drafts I saw didnt so no visitors at all, but they are alot more restrictive.

AKK

P.S. I think you mean the *Manuvering area* is the Control Room...Almost all manuvuering is now handled directly from the Bridge, but the Control room, which is adjacent to the engine rooms, if not in them, can also control the mains and bow and stern thrusters if reqiured to.......The engine room is indeed where the mains and other axillary machinery is.

Of course everything is different when you compare screws and pods.

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 10-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: