Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
pta-mom
The three-second rule does not count if you drop the chocolate in the toilet!
It's really amazing how crazy & heated these topics become!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcortesis View Post
We often take this 8:00 flight.
We print our boarding passes the day before, leave from our hotel at 6:00 (our own rental car), arrive at 6:30, head straight to the security and are well through the line in 20-30 minutes, putting us at the gate one hour before departure. Of course, taking DME is another issue.
Thanks Hcortesis. I think this is probably closer to what we will do. Instead of having DME get us at 4am, I'll bump it to 5am pick up. We've taken DME over a dozen times in the past and never seen them take longer then an hour to get to the airport from the time we've been picked up so I'm sure we woudl be there by 6am with lots of time to check in, go through security and make boarding time. If we run, we run but it's not likely unless there is some extreme circumstance.

pta-mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #17
ferris198
DIS Veteran

let us know how it goes
ferris198 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
wendyt_ca
DIS Veteran

We always take DME but we fly to Maine so we get picked up 3 hours in advance. Now our flight has been at 7 before and we have gotten picked up at 4am. We always do it cause we don't want to pay for transportation. We are usually pretty sleepy but we just sleep on the plane. We usually end up sitting around the airport for a while though.

HRH/GFV Sept 5-Sept 13, 2014/GCF/Vegas April 26-May 3, 2014/AKL SV(DVC)/BLT TPV(DVC) Oct 12-20, 2013 (Girl's Trip)/AOA/AKL SV(DVC) - May 12-20,2013 (1st Trip with little brother)/Townhouse condo off-site - Feb 13-20, 2013/AKL SV/BLT TPV (DVC) - Oct 3-9, 2012 / DLH Paris (DVC) - Sept 10-12, 2012 - London/Paris vacation/AKL(DVC) - April 21-29th, 2012(Girl's trip)/Split Stay - Poly TPV/AKL SV/CR MK View - Oct 11 - 19, 2011 /CBR Oct 31 - Nov 8, 2010 /The Venetian Las Vegas Sept 25 - 30, 2010 - First trip to Disneyland / CSR Nov 27 - Dec 8 2009 /POP June 15, 2008 - June 25, 2008 - Our Disney Honeymoon / Sheraton Vistana Sept 22, 2006-30, 2006 - First Trip/DH proposed during Wishes in Rose Garden
wendyt_ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #19
jopay
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyt_ca View Post
We always take DME but we fly to Maine so we get picked up 3 hours in advance. Now our flight has been at 7 before and we have gotten picked up at 4am. We always do it cause we don't want to pay for transportation. We are usually pretty sleepy but we just sleep on the plane. We usually end up sitting around the airport for a while though.
Interesting ...
jopay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:11 PM   #20
Limmer
DIS Veteran

we ended up waiting for the bus to leave almost 35 mins leaving POP century last year. 5:30am pickup. Got to the airport and had time for a quick mcdonald's breakfast. Only had 15 mins at the gate. I would not risk a later pickup.
Sept 2009 POR
Sept 2002 POR
Oct 2001 POR
Limmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #21
dasan
Earning My Ears

Another thing you have to take in count, is that DME picks you up at your resort
(in our case Movies) and also stopped at Music, Sports and Coronado.
This can add quite a bit of time as well.
dasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #22
CDNCA
Mouseketeer

Is the Air Canada flight direct to a Canadian city or is it a partner flight with a US Connection?

If there is a US connection, provide the US Flight number to ME and it will save you an hour. They do not have to know the next flight you get on to crosses the border.

I have been told that he 3 hr / 4 hr rule is dictated by the Orlando airport and was a condition for setting up the service.
CDNCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 PM   #23
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNCA View Post

I have been told that he 3 hr / 4 hr rule is dictated by the Orlando airport and was a condition for setting up the service.
That's what I got told when I tried to talk to them I even tried to tell them that the airline said I din't have to be there until two hours before, my flight and that there would be no one at the counter they stills said hey couldn't change it as they didn't want me to be late for my flight.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
ottawafamilyof4
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if any flights to Canada pre-clear immigration and customs at MCO? I know my flight from Ottawa to MCO pre-clears US immigration in Canada. If the return flight does the same, that would add time at MCO.
ottawafamilyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #25
StacyMarie
DIS Veteran

To be honest with ya, I wouldn't chance it. You don't know if you are the first stop for DME or the last. When we flew home a few weeks ago, we were the last stop for our particular DME. The bus was packed. There were obviously a couple resorts that were picked up before us, each at least 15-20 minute stops. There goes any extra time you thought you had.

Then, once we got to the airport, there were multiple drop offs so if you weren't at the first drop off, you had to wait for everybody who was to get off the bus and get anything that was stored below out before DME went to the next drop off. Those 2 things alone would make me question whether or not to mess with the time. What if you mess with your pick up time by one hour and come to find out when you get on DME that you are the first stop and there are 4 or 5 more resort pick ups after you. There's that extra hour that you thought you were going to waste at the airport gone, and now you're running late.

Also, the security lines at MCO can get backed up like nothing I've ever seen.

Stacy Jay Natalee Sydnee
Disney's Pop Century August 2012 August 2011 Pop Century Disney's Polynesian August 2010 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort August 2009 Grand Floridian - October 1997
StacyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawafamilyof4 View Post
Does anyone know if any flights to Canada pre-clear immigration and customs at MCO? I know my flight from Ottawa to MCO pre-clears US immigration in Canada. If the return flight does the same, that would add time at MCO.
Unfortuitly not, but according to the agreement that we have with them for the ones in Canada we can do it, the only reason for not doing it is there are too many large airports in the US and not a lot of cross boarder air travel to warrant having them.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #27
jsebsirois
DIS Veteran

Here's our experience :

Flying from a US airport : 2 hours should be plenty of time. We always get there earlier (about three hours) but ending telling ourselves we should have schedule our pick-up later!

Flying from a CAN airport to USA : we had a flight to Las Vegas a month after they stopped a terrorist attack in Amsterdam. We were told to be at the airport 4 hours before our flight. We hesitated but decided to listen to the tip and thank god we did for it really took us almost 4 hours from entering the airport to arrive at our gate, in time for bording!

WDW : October/November 2013 (MNSSHP and MVMCP) March 2013, October 2011 (MNSSHP), November 2010 (MVMCP), October 2008, October 2006 (MNSSHP) and July 2005 DLR : October 2012 (MHP), July 2010 and September 2009
jsebsirois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #28
DMKarmac
Forever Disney

airport time

we just got back last month from Orlando.
I would suggest the 3 hour time span. We flew air canada coming home and it took them over an hour to check us in and process our luggage. I would suggest online check in if you can. Sometimes the security lines can cause delays, and there's always the unexpected. I've been flying to Orlando for the past 5 years and , Yes, I would suggest that the 3 hours is a good idea. If anything, you can sit and relax a bit before your flight leaves.
DMKarmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: