Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #916
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Good morning to all! It's a beautiful morning here in North Texas which made the 60 mile commute on my bike very pleasant. And it's Friday, which is almost always A Very Good Thing (tm).

In regards to the Photopass, we'll be purchasing the plus package prior to our trip this year. We used PP a lot during our previous trip but didn't pre-order it, so we wound up paying more for it. This year, with the addition of the plus options we'll also pick up the dining and ride pictures at a bit of a savings too. The 400+ stock photos will also come in handy for my wife's scrapbooking hobby. Her and a bunch of her friends are Disney & scrapbooking fans so I'm sure they'll get quite a bit of use out of that.

Last night we had a bit of a Disney night at the house without the kids really knowing it. We took our change jar and separated out the different coins and then did a vinegar and salt bath with the pennies to get them shiny for pressing. After that we watched Disney Parks: Undiscovered Disney Parks on Netflix and the girls got real excited about the parks. The girls were all excited because they think that we're going for DD#2's 5th birthday, not her 4th birthday this year!

One thing I saw during the video last night was the VIP tours that they do of the parks. While I'm certain if that is still done it comes at a price premium, but it was interesting to see some of the families say that they wouldn't come to the park without a tour like that. If you haven't seen the video basically you get a personalized tour guide who helps you get FPs, shows you around and gets you to where you want to be, including dining, shows, rides, etc. Does anyone know if they still do that? Have you or anyone you know done that?

Hope everyone has a good Friday and a great weekend!
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #917
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
I thought it was 1985???
Pennies changed their composition midway through 1982, some 82's have the date smaller than the others, I just can't remember if the "new" ones were small 82's or larger 82's. My daddy used to have us separate all of our pennies and he would only save the "copper" ones. The ones after 82 have no copper in them. He was a depression child, we had to do lots of that stuff.
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #918
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Good morning everyone!! Hope you all have a fun-filled weekend ahead. I'll be getting ready for our youngest DD and her hubby and our sweet little DGD to come and stay with us for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Oof I know! And its $50 extra if we go over.... we'll definitely be weighing it before we go - and it will carry our extra clothes/shoes, empty waterbottles and maybe some cereal or bagels since I am undecided on green grocer. Since we have to pack formal wear we need more space, whose idea was it to book nice restaurants again...? Surely not ME...!
I know you'll be glad you booked those special restaurants once you get there! It will be worth all the hassle. I think bringing your own food is a good idea. You can get a carton of milk in the gift shop at your resort and you'll be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
We are hear to take care of each other.
And have fun while doing it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbley View Post
Same dates as us ! And we do MVMCP on 15th, really looking forward to it, we haven't been away this summer and will be looking for a break from the cold, wet British winter by then! Hope it's good weather!
How long does a British winter usually last? Do you get a lot of snow? I've always wanted to go to England, but not necessarily in the winter. I hope it's good weather while you (we) are in Disney. Last time we went in November, it rained every day but the day we left. But we still had loads of fun and it wasn't like it rained ALL day.

Quote:
I thought it was 1985???
OMGosh! You're right. Don't know how I typed 1949???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleLulu View Post
Subscribing and Introducing myself.

DH and I will be making our first WDW trip starting November 1 - 6, 2012. We have both been to Disneyland, but never to the World. Our youngest daughter gets married 9/8 so we are celebrating an empty nest! We will be staying at POFQ.

bellelulu Nov 1-6 @ POFQ

I have enjoyed the boards and am learning tons, any advice for a newbie is welcome.
You will love POFQ! It's our favorite resort! Be sure to take the boat to DTD and if you have time, take a carriage ride (you get it from POR). If you haven't ordered the customized maps from the Disney website yet, that is a great way to familiarize yourself with the layout of each park and sort of get your bearings ahead of time. Very important to do that since it is hard to imagine the scope of the place before you get there. It is so much bigger than Disneyland! So glad you decided to join us. Any questions, just ask!

ETA: And I LOVE that you choose to celebrate becoming empty nesters!! It's quite a transition and can be traumatic, but once you adjust, it is sooo much fun!! DH and I go to Disney every year and have a ball. We actually go wherever we want whenever we want. I miss the kids (we had 4), but we visit and they visit and it's all good. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking624 View Post
Cannot believe I have not added myself to the list yet! I will be there November 8-12, staying at ASMu.
Gotta be on the list...or it won't happen! We're getting close!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
I met my new students today. So as a getting to know you activity, we do a scavenger hunt to find people with certain characteristics. One of the things listed was find a person who has been to Disney World. A boy says, "I have, but really wished I didn't. I hated that place." We are not going to survive together this year together as I use Disney references for everything. Seriously, I am sure he's a wonderful kid, it just made me laugh.
Refresh my memory. What grade do you teach again? Must have had parents who didn't do any research and spent all their time looking at maps and trying to figure out where to go! Maybe during the year you can find out why he didn't like it. I'm sure we'd all love to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriemiller View Post
I didn't know you could pre order. Does that limit the pictures you can choose from. It would be helpful since last year whenever got around to ordering. I would like to this time.
It's actually cheaper to pre-order it...not by much, but a little. (at least it used to be)
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM   #919
Smileybug

I would hate to have missed your fine example of "good Pooh" and "bad poo"
The changes just make me giggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
Good morning to all! It's a beautiful morning here in North Texas which made the 60 mile commute on my bike very pleasant. And it's Friday, which is almost always A Very Good Thing (tm).

In regards to the Photopass, we'll be purchasing the plus package prior to our trip this year. We used PP a lot during our previous trip but didn't pre-order it, so we wound up paying more for it. This year, with the addition of the plus options we'll also pick up the dining and ride pictures at a bit of a savings too. The 400+ stock photos will also come in handy for my wife's scrapbooking hobby. Her and a bunch of her friends are Disney & scrapbooking fans so I'm sure they'll get quite a bit of use out of that.

Last night we had a bit of a Disney night at the house without the kids really knowing it. We took our change jar and separated out the different coins and then did a vinegar and salt bath with the pennies to get them shiny for pressing. After that we watched Disney Parks: Undiscovered Disney Parks on Netflix and the girls got real excited about the parks. The girls were all excited because they think that we're going for DD#2's 5th birthday, not her 4th birthday this year!

One thing I saw during the video last night was the VIP tours that they do of the parks. While I'm certain if that is still done it comes at a price premium, but it was interesting to see some of the families say that they wouldn't come to the park without a tour like that. If you haven't seen the video basically you get a personalized tour guide who helps you get FPs, shows you around and gets you to where you want to be, including dining, shows, rides, etc. Does anyone know if they still do that? Have you or anyone you know done that?

Sounds like ya'll had a great night!! I haven't done the tour. I have thought about it from time to time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
Pennies changed their composition midway through 1982, some 82's have the date smaller than the others, I just can't remember if the "new" ones were small 82's or larger 82's. My daddy used to have us separate all of our pennies and he would only save the "copper" ones. The ones after 82 have no copper in them. He was a depression child, we had to do lots of that stuff.
That is really interesting. Now I'm going to have to start checking mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Good morning everyone!! Hope you all have a fun-filled weekend ahead. I'll be getting ready for our youngest DD and her hubby and our sweet little DGD to come and stay with us for a while.

I know you'll be glad you booked those special restaurants once you get there! It will be worth all the hassle. I think bringing your own food is a good idea. You can get a carton of milk in the gift shop at your resort and you'll be good to go.

And have fun while doing it!

How long does a British winter usually last? Do you get a lot of snow? I've always wanted to go to England, but not necessarily in the winter. I hope it's good weather while you (we) are in Disney. Last time we went in November, it rained every day but the day we left. But we still had loads of fun and it wasn't like it rained ALL day.

OMGosh! You're right. Don't know how I typed 1949???

You will love POFQ! It's our favorite resort! Be sure to take the boat to DTD and if you have time, take a carriage ride (you get it from POR). If you haven't ordered the customized maps from the Disney website yet, that is a great way to familiarize yourself with the layout of each park and sort of get your bearings ahead of time. Very important to do that since it is hard to imagine the scope of the place before you get there. It is so much bigger than Disneyland! So glad you decided to join us. Any questions, just ask!

Gotta be on the list...or it won't happen! We're getting close!!

Refresh my memory. What grade do you teach again? Must have had parents who didn't do any research and spent all their time looking at maps and trying to figure out where to go! Maybe during the year you can find out why he didn't like it. I'm sure we'd all love to know!

It's actually cheaper to pre-order it...not by much, but a little. (at least it used to be)

Enjoy your family, I'm sure you will though.
They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above....James 1:17
Smileybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #920
disney mom of 6
Mouseketeer

Boy did I get behind. Hope everyone has a great day!!!!!!!

94 days for us. Can't wait!!!!!!!

Smileybug it looks like we will be at Tusker House the same day and close to the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristinaML View Post
Let's talk homemade T-Shirts!

I know someone of you make t-shirts for your trip. I've caught this bug big time! Forgive me for saying this - as if its possible - I don't want to look like a crazy person on my trip by wearing all these personalized shirts. The trip consists of me, my mom and young son. So far he has 4 t-shirts and I've made two each of she and I. I've now got 2 more designs for each of us I want to use. Eveyone will know us by name by the end of our trip. I'm not even sure my Mom will willingly wear all these t-shirts generally speaking she's not a t-shirt sort of gal.

What is your opinion, do you just make shirts for your kids, do you see many adults wearing personalized shirts?
I'm going to try the tye dye Mickey heads for all of us 4 adults and 3kids. I'm not very creative so I have themes for the rest of the days like all of us wear toy story shirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ain0004 View Post
We are going Nov 14-21st @ OKW! First time there. taking the kiddos out of school. Also attending the Xmas party on the 15th can't wait/

Quote:
Is it time to pack yet?
I have a stack in the closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleLulu View Post
Subscribing and Introducing myself.

DH and I will be making our first WDW trip starting November 1 - 6, 2012. We have both been to Disneyland, but never to the World. Our youngest daughter gets married 9/8 so we are celebrating an empty nest! We will be staying at POFQ.

bellelulu Nov 1-6 @ POFQ

I have enjoyed the boards and am learning tons, any advice for a newbie is welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mking624 View Post
Cannot believe I have not added myself to the list yet! I will be there November 8-12, staying at ASMu.

Quote:
I met my new students today. So as a getting to know you activity, we do a scavenger hunt to find people with certain characteristics. One of the things listed was find a person who has been to Disney World. A boy says, "I have, but really wished I didn't. I hated that place." We are not going to survive together this year together as I use Disney references for everything. Seriously, I am sure he's a wonderful kid, it just made me laugh.
That was to funny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divaofdisney View Post
Still on the fence about purchasing photo pass. On one hand I would love to have that but then again it is an added expense I just don't know if I can justify. I may be making a decision on that soon though. What is everyone's experience with this and do you feel it was worth the price?? Would love to know. Thanks
We pre purchased the regular photo pass so I can at least be in some of the pictures I don't really like myself in pix but its disney. We had it on our last trip and really liked it. They get some really good shots sometimes. I can't decide if I want to upgrade to the plus. My 8 year old will be riding some of the big rides for the first time so I might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Good morning ya'll.

Look at my ticker!!!! Its less than 3 months!!!!
Woo Hoo!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3princess27 View Post
LOVED photopass last time and already baught the plus this time!!!

LOOK at my ticker!!!! 3 months!!!!
Woo Hoo!!!!!

Quote:
I didn't know you could pre order. Does that limit the pictures you can choose from. It would be helpful since last year whenever got around to ordering. I would like to this time.
Pre ordering doesn't limit you on pix.

disney mom of 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 AM   #921
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
While it's unfathomable for most of us to not like WDW, I just remembered my personal experience with my ex's kids about 11 years ago. My ex and I planned out a week in Florida with her three boys, aged 7,8 and 9. We drove down from Michigan, hit Sea World when we arrived, stayed off site at a suite in Kissimmee and did 4 days at Disney plus a day at the beach. My ex was terrified of coasters, even the tame ones like Thunder Mountain Railroad. As such the kids were scared about a lot of the rides *before* they rode them, but had a blast once they got on them and through them. Fast forward a year and my ex and I decided to go again. We told the kids and they were decidedly NOT happy about this. They didn't want to go at all. When asked why they said "Because Dad made us go on all the rides!" My ex and I opted to go on vacation without them and hit up Universal Studios for a couple of days instead.

To each their own I guess right?
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #922
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

ARGH! Just when I thought I was done planning, now I have to try and help a co-worker who wants to take his 10 year daughter to the park for the first time, at the end of September!
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #923
kerriemiller
How do you people get anything done around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomTo3PrincessesInNJ View Post
I pre-ordered (got it about a week later) so I'm glad to hear people like it... a co-worker purchased it at the park recently and she said it wasn't worth the price I plan to use the FP photogs every chance I get -- and we are going to just about every meal included in the package, so the girls will get tons of character pics.

I'm usually the one behind the camera so I'm really looking forward to being IN the family photos for this trip!
Not to take this to a sad place. But when my mother passed 7 years ago almost 8 this coming January. We were looking for pictures for the funeral and literally found two pictures of her and my youngest brother. Both were from him at about age 10, 11, 12. So I try to be very good about taking pictures of myself with my kids. And not just pictures of my kids alone.

That is why the photopass really appeals to me this trip. I want to be in the pictures. What I look like isnt that much of a concern. I want my kids to have pictures of their mom.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #924
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not to take this to a sad place. But when my mother passed 7 years ago almost 8 this coming January. We were looking for pictures for the funeral and literally found two pictures of her and my youngest brother. Both were from him at about age 10, 11, 12. So I try to be very good about taking pictures of myself with my kids. And not just pictures of my kids alone.

That is why the photopass really appeals to me this trip. I want to be in the pictures. What I look like isnt that much of a concern. I want my kids to have pictures of their mom.
A very good point!!
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #925
Smileybug

I would hate to have missed your fine example of "good Pooh" and "bad poo"
The changes just make me giggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobilly83 View Post
ARGH! Just when I thought I was done planning, now I have to try and help a co-worker who wants to take his 10 year daughter to the park for the first time, at the end of September!
Awww, I bet you are excited about helping!!

Quote:

So true....
They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above....James 1:17
Smileybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #926
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobilly83 View Post
Given how soon that is, it will be a challenge! I'm sure you'll do great, though.

Quote:

How sad for you! Thanks for the reminder. I never like to be in pictures.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #927
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

The nice thing about the photopass photogs is that they will also gladly take a picture with your camera as well. You can't get the 'magical' pictures with characters in them but its a nice alternative if the cost of the pass is a hinderance.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #928
Minnie Mommy Mouse
Mouseketeer

If you pre-order your PhotoPass CD thru this following link & save $50:

http://www.disneyphotopass.com/previsitoffer.aspx

We ALWAYS get the CD. I am a scrapbooker, we use the pass at every opportunity, & to me it is totally worth it! We usually en up with 500-700 shots on a disc which is either awesome or embarrassing according to point of view For example, at JTA, the have a PhotoPass person snapping shots of all the kiddos. They get shots I simply cannot due to crowd, etc. Another perk, sometimes bonus professional photos of special events/attractions are added free of charge to disc (example: several shots of topiaries from Flower & Garden festival were added to our disc, several shots of Electric Parade, etc.). Finally, if you like to get the "magic shots" when PhotoPass photogs can add digital images to your pose (example: holding Tinker Bell or in your hands) then the disc will have those on it. I believe Stitch Kingdom has some great examples of magic shot poses from around the various parks.

HTH
Minnie Mommy Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #929
barriosfamily
Earning My Ears

November 2012 also :)

Am I welcome to join? Just joined and surprising my kids with disney for the first time 11-22-12!!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #930
Minnie Mommy Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569

Sigh. I wish I loved near you & your wife, I could use a scrapbooking buddy like her. Too cool!

Have a Magical Day!
Minnie Mommy Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: