Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-2012, 10:24 PM   #2791
mickeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristinaML View Post
I was wondereing about ECV as well. My Mom will be renting one for the first time. She has a nerve condition that makes walking for any real length of time cause pain to shoot all over her body. So she's giving this a try - other wise she wouldn't be able to go on the trip. She's concerned because she looks perfectly healthy, she walks fine and doesn't want to look like she is just trying to get to the head of the line. That said if she were to wait in line for an extended period on her feet she'd be in real discomfort before she got on. I hope she can drive the thing!!!
Tell your Mom to take it very slowly for a while and then she can increase her speed as she feels more confident with it. One thing for everyone new to these chairs is this: They CANNOT STOP on a dime! You will have people walk right in front of you and then they just stop dead. Will you hit them? Yes, sometimes, and then you get a dirty look from them. Carefully explain to them that THEY just cut you off and the chairs can't stop that quick. But, if you go slowly you're less likely to leave casualties in your trail. <----- This is what they look like if you run them over. But, seriously, they are big, heavy motorized vehicles and they can hurt people so beginners just need to go slow.
Your Mom may look healthy, but tell her not to let it bother her. I look perfectly normal; you can't tell that I have a muscle disease and you can't tell that many people have heart conditions. If people are rude to your Mom just tell them to be glad that they don't need one. Good health isn't guaranteed to anyone. I used to be 'healthy' and strong and slowly this disease crept up on me and left me fighting everyday just to try and lead a normal life. Tell your Mom to enjoy her trip and not worry about what someone else is thinking about her. Have a good time!!!

mickeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:02 PM   #2792
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2
Let me just say that I don't know why I didn't just multi-quote like I usually do, but I guess I didn't read closely enough before quoting.

Will you be on crutches or anything for the trip? I must have missed something in the time I was gone from the thread. Hope you'll still be able to enjoy your trip!

Your girls are going to be so excited to be going to Disney, they'll forget all about your deceit! Plus, you HAVE been telling them you're going to Disney!!

So glad you get a chance for Father/Daughter time. I never spent any special time with my Dad. He just didn't know how to be a dad to girls. You're building great memories that will last their lifetime! Good for you.
I shouldn't be on crutches but likely will have a brace on my ankle. I injured it a few years ago and had surgery on it to rebuild it. It had been quite fine for a while, but recently it had started swelling and becoming painful. I went back to the doctor and he gave me a shot and assigned physical therapy for the next few weeks. I also have a trip to Vegas coming soon which rivals walking at Disney as many of you know. It's not debilitating for the most part, but after a long day of walking and standing it can be somewhat miserable. Hopefully by the time Disney rolls around its better. I'll cope with it regardless.

I think you're right that they will be happy. I'm hoping we can catch the happy OMG moment on camera.

Spending time with my girls is a blessing for me. I didn't grow up with my dad so I take the job pretty seriously. We do have a lot of fun together so this weekend should be a lot of fun.
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #2793
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney mom of 6
Just wanted you guys to know tonight at 9:00pm I'm going to cancel a chef mickey adr. 11/26 at 7:05pm for 8 people.
Did you cancel this already?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Spring Break 2014 DLR PTR - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post50753138
November 2012 - 1st WDW Trip after a lifetime of DLR trips No Trip Report - But here is our Photo Book link
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AatGrNq0bOWbtg
momjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #2794
GMU MOM
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandorian View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions about ADR's when WDW changes park open times.

I have a couple of ADR's that where before park open times, like CRT at 8:05 The park was supposed to open at 9:00 and now WDW has changed it to 8am.... Do I cancel my ADR knowing I am not likely to get another, or do I not make to Rope drop and adjust my touring plan accordingly ??
We are in the same situation but we decided to keep the ADR and just change our touring plan. We do have another MK day without a breakfast ADR so we should be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
I wonder how many times I will rebook my rental car between now and Nov 15th. I think I have booked it at least 10 times in the past year. LOL. I have it now down to under $315 (including taxes) for a minivan for 10 days over Thanskgiving! That is much better than I anticipated originally. My original booking was for a car for $415. I'm super excited to have a minivan as that will save us a car having to park.

I still need to decide on who I want to rent a stroller from. I'm also trying to convince my parents to let me rent my mom and ECV for the week. I need to do more research on ECV rental companies. (My mom is going through cancer treatments and has problems walking do to arthritis. I don't want her to wear herself out)
Rental car prices can change like crazy. I remember for our trip last year, I changed our rental car quite a few times but I was working as a travel agent then so it wasn't a big deal checking on a daily basis. Luckily, this trip we won't be needing a rental car.
As for the stroller rental, last year I used orlandostrollerrentals but this year I'm using the Babies R Us Travel rental program. Their prices are slightly cheaper and they can also deliver any grocery item sold at the BRU stores such as bottled water, baby formula, diapers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
I shouldn't be on crutches but likely will have a brace on my ankle. I injured it a few years ago and had surgery on it to rebuild it. It had been quite fine for a while, but recently it had started swelling and becoming painful. I went back to the doctor and he gave me a shot and assigned physical therapy for the next few weeks. I also have a trip to Vegas coming soon which rivals walking at Disney as many of you know. It's not debilitating for the most part, but after a long day of walking and standing it can be somewhat miserable. Hopefully by the time Disney rolls around its better. I'll cope with it regardless.

I think you're right that they will be happy. I'm hoping we can catch the happy OMG moment on camera.

Spending time with my girls is a blessing for me. I didn't grow up with my dad so I take the job pretty seriously. We do have a lot of fun together so this weekend should be a lot of fun.
I hope you feel better before your trip. Have you tried using ice for the swelling? We were able to get the swelling down on DH's ankle today by first applying a wash cloth with vinegar and cold water to ikt and then just ice bags. I really helped.

Your kids are going to be so excited to find out they're really going to Disney.
GMU MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #2795
cajacobi
Earning My Ears

Only 38 days for us!!!
cajacobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #2796
Divaofdisney
Mouseketeer

Good Morning everyone!! 25 days and counting for us. My DH leaves on the 12 th flying down to Pensacola then driving with my daughter Sarah to WDW on 14th meeting us there. So excited. Hope that those who are having pain and other physical issues can still go and have great time!! I have 4 small herniated discs in my back so I know my limitations as I can't walk for long periods of time because ill get pain that goes into my hips. We plan on doing the parks in morning till after lunch then come back to hotel to rest and go back later in day or evening. There's just no way I can last all day and night.
2006- WDW- POFQ
2004- WDW & Universal- stayed offsite @ Universal
2002- DCL- Disney Magic 3/02
2000- DCL- Disney Magic 8/00 & WDW-Grand Floridian
1999- DCL- Disney Magic 6/99 & WDW-Old Key West
1998- DCL- Disney Magic 12/98
1997- WDW- Old Key West
1996- WDW- Old Key West
1986- WDW- offsite- Vistana Resort
1980- WDW- Polynesian
1972- 1st Trip to WDW- Offsite- Vistana Resort
Divaofdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #2797
princesshope1982
Mouseketeer

AHHHH 16 days. Feeling very stressed and blah today.

Still havent told my mom and that is going to cause alot of issues and im worried about get into a fight with her. it is ruining my excitement
Old 10-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #2798
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesshope1982 View Post

Still havent told my mom and that is going to cause alot of issues and im worried about get into a fight with her. it is ruining my excitement
Why would your Mom care?
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 AM   #2799
monica9
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
Why would your Mom care?
Disney as a child: '82 CR,'84, CR,'85 CR,'87 CR,'88 CR,'89 CR....Disney as an adult: '03 off property, '04 off property, '10 1 day off cruise, '11 CBR (DD first trip!), 2012 WL, 2013 December 2013 BC Hoping for Fall 2015
DH(40) : Me(34) DD(6)
monica9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:11 PM   #2800
Divaofdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Why would your mom be upset, you have worked hard, planned well and for this you should be feeling wonderful and excited!! Don't let what your mom says or doesn't say affect what kind of vacation you have. Go and enjoy yourself and don't worry. Honestly it really isn't worth it.
2006- WDW- POFQ
1997- WDW- Old Key West
1996- WDW- Old Key West
1980- WDW- Polynesian
Old 10-19-2012, 01:33 PM   #2801
princesshope1982
Mouseketeer

my mo is what we would call "crazy" she doesnt think i should be able to do anything in life without doing it with her. So i know as soon as i tell her it will be months of us fighting and not talking and just making my life miserable

She would never have come with us because she hates dh and wouldnt have pitched in to pay for the trip but still would have expected me to pay for her and bring her along and not dh.

She will basically ruin this trip for dd and myself which is why i have put off telling her, but with 2 weeks to go i have to because i can not disappear for 2 weeks without her knowing.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #2802
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
my mo is what we would call "crazy" she doesnt think i should be able to do anything in life without doing it with her. So i know as soon as i tell her it will be months of us fighting and not talking and just making my life miserable

She would never have come with us because she hates dh and wouldnt have pitched in to pay for the trip but still would have expected me to pay for her and bring her along and not dh.

She will basically ruin this trip for dd and myself which is why i have put off telling her, but with 2 weeks to go i have to because i can not disappear for 2 weeks without her knowing.
I would get it over with, all waiting ever seems to do for me is increase the dread. I like getting it over with and am VERY well versed in fighting with family. Over the last year I have just come to terms with the silent treatment, and actually prefer it to fighting with them. I can get on gettin' on with my life, y'know? All you can do is point out it is your money, and she should be happy that you both love and want to spend time together, period. If she wants to go she either needs to pay her way or learn to play nice.

Bottom line: toxic people are toxic, and I can't go through life chanting family family family as a way to force me to take it. I won't. Much happier! Good luck!
Old 10-19-2012, 02:07 PM   #2803
Divaofdisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
I would get it over with, all waiting ever seems to do for me is increase the dread. I like getting it over with and am VERY well versed in fighting with family. Over the last year I have just come to terms with the silent treatment, and actually prefer it to fighting with them. I can get on gettin' on with my life, y'know? All you can do is point out it is your money, and she should be happy that you both love and want to spend time together, period. If she wants to go she either needs to pay her way or learn to play nice.

Bottom line: toxic people are toxic, and I can't go through life chanting family family family as a way to force me to take it. I won't. Much happier! Good luck!
I agree, do it today...why wait!! I have my issues too within the family....luckily though I don't let it stop me from enjoying what I have worked hard to have for all these months. I work very hard all year and this year has been particularly bad because I was out of work for nearly 5months and that put us wayyyy behind. Just being able to afford this trip is a miracle in itself. I feel very blessed to be able to make this special trip with just my DH and my girls. We are basically all we have- as my DH has no surviving family and what little family I have don't even know I'm alive nor do they care. Bottom line....Don't let anyone rob you of your joy and happiness because if they do, then they have won. I try to always remember that.
2006- WDW- POFQ
1997- WDW- Old Key West
1996- WDW- Old Key West
1980- WDW- Polynesian
Old 10-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #2804
princesshope1982
Mouseketeer

this is why i love you guys ..i dont feel so alone now. i have a family christening tonight and after that i will have to find some way to tell her.

lol any ideas

i wonder if i could get mickey to make a call for me lmao
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #2805
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divaofdisney View Post
Good Morning everyone!! 25 days and counting for us. My DH leaves on the 12 th flying down to Pensacola then driving with my daughter Sarah to WDW on 14th meeting us there. So excited. Hope that those who are having pain and other physical issues can still go and have great time!! I have 4 small herniated discs in my back so I know my limitations as I can't walk for long periods of time because ill get pain that goes into my hips. We plan on doing the parks in morning till after lunch then come back to hotel to rest and go back later in day or evening. There's just no way I can last all day and night.
This is pretty much what DH and I do anyway, just because we like it that way. It keeps us rested and relaxed.

Quote:

I'm so sorry you have that kind of toxic relationship with your mom! I can't imagine what heartache that must bring. I understand holding off telling her since it will make your last couple of weeks miserable.

Once you do tell her, try not to get sucked into her manipulation tactics. Just smile and nod and don't respond. She cannot ruin the trip if you don't allow it. She only has as much power over you as you give her. I know it's easy for me to say, but I genuinely care that she would be so controlling and mean spirited. I'll be saying prayers for you meanwhile!

Also, for those of you who have relationship problems with family, my heart goes out to you as well. That can't be an easy way to live.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: