Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #2746
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2

BTW, I thought "normal" was just a setting on my dryer!
Random: I used to have a washer that had a "Ultra clean" cycle. For those days you didn't want your clothes just "sorta" clean I guess.

34 days for us!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Spring Break 2014 DLR PTR - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post50753138
November 2012 - 1st WDW Trip after a lifetime of DLR trips No Trip Report - But here is our Photo Book link
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AatGrNq0bOWbtg
momjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:47 AM   #2747
squirrel4569
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU MOM View Post
We are also 15 days away from our trip.

But........I still can't believe the day I had today.

DH was in a motorcycle crash. Luckily he didn't hit anyone else but his motorcycle flipped a few times and then DH was thrown off about 100 feet. Honestly, it could have been a lot worse. No head or face injuries, but he has a broken ankle, the other ankle is sprained, his thumb was dislocated and some bruises and srapes on his arms. Thankfully, he had all his protective gear on. After deciding to discharge him, they ended up keeping him overnight because he was in so much pain.
The worst part is that he will be in a cast for 6 weeks so probably little to no work and I'm not sure what he'll do in Disney. It's either he doesn't go or we rent an ECV.

I don't even want to consider cancelling the trip as an option. The kids have been really getting excited for it. If we do rent an ECV, does anyone have any tips/advice?

Thank You
Sorry to hear about the crash. As a fellow rider it always makes me cringe to hear about someone going down. Thankfully he was wearing gear or else it could've been much worse. If he can tolerate the pain of moving around and riding then definitely rent a scooter for him. I had ankle surgery in the past (not riding related) and those were awesome in the grocery store! He likely won't be able to ride much, but he can enjoy the shows and the atmosphere that is Disney! I went to California Adventure with a broken hand once and while I was able to ride everything, the coaster wasn't very comfortable. Good luck and quick healing to him! Tell him next time to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!
April 1981 - Holiday Inn - MK only (no other parks existed!);May 1999 - Travelodge - First adult trip;Aug 2003 - Disneyland's California Adventure;Dec 2004 - La Quinta - Christmas trip w/fiance to HS;Sep 2010 - Pop - DD1's 5th birthday;Nov 2012 - AoA - DD2's 4th birthday (KOTS trip);Aug 2013 - AoA - Just because trip

squirrel4569 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #2748
Minnie Mommy Mouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU MOM

DH was in a motorcycle crash. Luckily he didn't hit anyone else but his motorcycle flipped a few times and then DH was thrown off about 100 feet. Honestly, it could have been a lot worse. No head or face injuries, but he has a broken ankle, the other ankle is sprained, his thumb was dislocated and some bruises and srapes on his arms. Thankfully, he had all his protective gear on. After deciding to discharge him, they ended up keeping him overnight because he was in so much pain.
The worst part is that he will be in a cast for 6 weeks so probably little to no work and I'm not sure what he'll do in Disney. It's either he doesn't go or we rent an ECV.

I don't even want to consider cancelling the trip as an option. The kids have been really getting excited for it. If we do rent an ECV, does anyone have any tips/advice?

Thank You
I feel his pain. I had 4 surgeries on the soles of my feet to remove massive heel spurs & tissue damaged from them. One surgery was late January 2011 & we had planned a dream trip for my 40th bday that March. I couldn't even bear weight on the foot, so I had to rent an ECV. I have some good tips for you & prayer for a speedy recovery.

1). Rent a scooter before you make the trip. We used Walker Mobility. They will deliver it and have it waiting at your resort for your arrival. It is cheaper than going through the parks, and the ECVs at the parks are usually all rented out.

2). Go to a local store that has ECVs at a busy time of the week (weekends) to practice driving it. Trust me, it helps. He can practice backing up, maneuvering through crowds & isles, etc. Make sure to get in front of home and stop, as he will need to stop on a dime b/c people at WDW will stop right in front of you and some even bolt in front of you just to save a few seconds. The main thing is to BE VERY CAUTIOUS. ECVs can be dangerous. I've read about people having their foot ran over, even a leg.

3). Pick up a disability pass at Town Hall in Magic Kingdom or front guest services at Epcot. This will enable your party to access the FP or handicap queues if he wants to ride. He will have to be able to transfer from ECV to the ride. You might want to bring a cane or crutches if balance or weight bearing is an issue.

4). Try to use bus transport at off times or be prepared to get a lot of dirty looks and/or comments. At park closing, hang out & shop to give the crowd time to clear out. By that time, people are tired and just want to get back to their rooms. ECVs & wheelchairs are always loaded first which can be upsetting to other guest waitin in long bus lines.

5). Here is a list of things to bring:
- BIOFREEZE (it helps with pain especially shin splints or cramping)
- ice pack wraps & zip locks for ice (cold packs if your room has a freezer) this is for swelling. Even if it is not a current problem, my foot swelled from flying in & sitting on an ECV all day.
- shower cap (this covers the ECV battery in case a storm pops up. ECVs cannot get wet.
- trash bag (for covering ECV)
- ponchos (for covering ECV)
- cane (if needed)
- 6ft power strip cord to charge ECV in your room overnight. Do not leave your ECV outside. I was warned on the disability board that sometimes they can be messed with by other guest, and if anything is broken, it is your responsibility as the renter.

6). Based on need, you can request a room closer to the hospitality center of your resort. This is in case he has trouble transferring or if your family needs to be in a more convenient location. (It is hard to corral kids if one adult has a mobility issue). You will definitely need a ground floor room.

7). If you have a long park day, there are aces in the parks to charger your ECV. When you are dining is a good time for this. I would call the disability line to get exact locations. I know there is one around town square in MK.

I hope this helps. He can still have a magical time. I was so scared & nervous about my trip when I had to use an ECV, but it turned out to be one of my favorite trips ever. Since I should not bear weight, I did not transfer to very many rides, but I was great for staying in lines that were over an hour to meet characters & holding places for parades and fireworks! It was also great just to be outside during gorgeous weather. I really got to enjoy the surroundings. It was Flower & Garden time, so all of WDW was in bloom. He will get to enjoy all the Halloween or Christmas decorations depending on your travel dates.

Good luck & hope he is on the mend!
~Julie

Minnie Mommy Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #2749
princesshope1982
Mouseketeer

ok at 18 days i have hit freak out mode......i could burst into a pile of sparkles at any moment. <~~thats me
Old 10-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #2750
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Thank You
Holy Crap! I'm glad he's okay, again, I don't have an ECV advice but I can tell you that if you are flying at the airport get a wheelchair and they will help you move him through the airport. You'll board the airplane first and get off last, which makes everything so much easier! I did call the airline in advance to let them know that we would need extra assistance. But it really made flying so much more pleasant! Good luck!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:32 AM   #2751
ireneryan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesshope1982 View Post
ok at 18 days i have hit freak out mode......i could burst into a pile of sparkles at any moment. <~~thats me
Too funny!!! Let's hope you don't explode until after your trip is done! You won't be able to enjoy it if you're just particles floating around!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:38 AM   #2752
mommyof3princess27
What we've got here is failure to communicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznygurl View Post
We will be arriving at AoA Nov. 14-22.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulles View Post
The wait is over! We got both sets of Mickey Mail today.
YAY! I cant wait til I get mine! Any day now!!! We are at 39!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofKatie View Post
Not to brag or anything, but we are at 15 days (as of midnight...)!
wow thats so close!!!

Quote:

Thank You
I am so glad he is okay!!! I dont know anything about a ECV but you could check out the DISabilities thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristinaML View Post
OH MY GOODNESS! The trip is coming up fast! (Yet taking forever to get here!) I'm already nervous about work - two weeks at this time of year isn't done for a reason - its way to busy!! I have to fit 4 weeks of work into the next two weeks and I'm determined to do it. I do not want my boss regretting his decision to let me take this trip now.

On the positive side - I've started packing!!! My son's summer clothes and bathing suits as well as hygene items that we are taking new.
wow!!!! i bet you will get it done but that is close!

Erin , DH and DD13 (KC) DD9(Court) and DD5(Moo) plus 2 and 1 chiweenie
Oct 2010 Poly CL 40% code, Dec 2011 POR w/ FDing, Nov 2012 POR RGR w/DxDP, 2014 POR RGR w/Free Dlx Dining
mommyof3princess27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #2753
Roma
Mouseketeer

I cannot believe I'm only 22 days away! It seems like just yesterday I was staring down 160+ .
Old 10-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #2754
princesshope1982
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
Too funny!!! Let's hope you don't explode until after your trip is done! You won't be able to enjoy it if you're just particles floating around!
arent u freakin out to!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #2755
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ
Mouseketeer

Missing Election Day

While we were watching the debate last night H & I realized that we will be missing the election while we're in WDW!

I'm not super political or anything, and I live in NJ (not an important swing state), but I do make sure to always vote -- just my small way of saying thanks to the suffragettes

I guess I'll be mailing in my ballot for the first time...
January 2013, Pop!
December 2013, POR-Alligator Bayou
March 2014, Pop! {Solo}
November 2014 {Jersey Week}, Split Stay! CSR- Business Class w/Free Dining
November 2015 {Jersey Week}, Land & Sea! Hotel TBD, 3-night DCL Dream

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MomTo3PrincessesInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:07 PM   #2756
GMU MOM
Mouseketeer

Thank You all for the well wishes! I knew I could come here for some comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
Sorry to hear about the crash. As a fellow rider it always makes me cringe to hear about someone going down. Thankfully he was wearing gear or else it could've been much worse. If he can tolerate the pain of moving around and riding then definitely rent a scooter for him. I had ankle surgery in the past (not riding related) and those were awesome in the grocery store! He likely won't be able to ride much, but he can enjoy the shows and the atmosphere that is Disney! I went to California Adventure with a broken hand once and while I was able to ride everything, the coaster wasn't very comfortable. Good luck and quick healing to him! Tell him next time to keep the rubber side down and the shiny side up!
Thanks...but there won't be a next time! The bike was totalled and he won't get another. Honestly, I never wanted him to get this one in the first place. After all the pain he's suffering, he already said no more.
As for rides, he doesn't really ride any of the thrill rides anyway so he should be fine with the other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie Mommy Mouse View Post
I feel his pain. I had 4 surgeries on the soles of my feet to remove massive heel spurs & tissue damaged from them. One surgery was late January 2011 & we had planned a dream trip for my 40th bday that March. I couldn't even bear weight on the foot, so I had to rent an ECV. I have some good tips for you & prayer for a speedy recovery.

1). Rent a scooter before you make the trip. We used Walker Mobility. They will deliver it and have it waiting at your resort for your arrival. It is cheaper than going through the parks, and the ECVs at the parks are usually all rented out.

2). Go to a local store that has ECVs at a busy time of the week (weekends) to practice driving it. Trust me, it helps. He can practice backing up, maneuvering through crowds & isles, etc. Make sure to get in front of home and stop, as he will need to stop on a dime b/c people at WDW will stop right in front of you and some even bolt in front of you just to save a few seconds. The main thing is to BE VERY CAUTIOUS. ECVs can be dangerous. I've read about people having their foot ran over, even a leg.

3). Pick up a disability pass at Town Hall in Magic Kingdom or front guest services at Epcot. This will enable your party to access the FP or handicap queues if he wants to ride. He will have to be able to transfer from ECV to the ride. You might want to bring a cane or crutches if balance or weight bearing is an issue.

4). Try to use bus transport at off times or be prepared to get a lot of dirty looks and/or comments. At park closing, hang out & shop to give the crowd time to clear out. By that time, people are tired and just want to get back to their rooms. ECVs & wheelchairs are always loaded first which can be upsetting to other guest waitin in long bus lines.

5). Here is a list of things to bring:
- BIOFREEZE (it helps with pain especially shin splints or cramping)
- ice pack wraps & zip locks for ice (cold packs if your room has a freezer) this is for swelling. Even if it is not a current problem, my foot swelled from flying in & sitting on an ECV all day.
- shower cap (this covers the ECV battery in case a storm pops up. ECVs cannot get wet.
- trash bag (for covering ECV)
- ponchos (for covering ECV)
- cane (if needed)
- 6ft power strip cord to charge ECV in your room overnight. Do not leave your ECV outside. I was warned on the disability board that sometimes they can be messed with by other guest, and if anything is broken, it is your responsibility as the renter.

6). Based on need, you can request a room closer to the hospitality center of your resort. This is in case he has trouble transferring or if your family needs to be in a more convenient location. (It is hard to corral kids if one adult has a mobility issue). You will definitely need a ground floor room.

7). If you have a long park day, there are aces in the parks to charger your ECV. When you are dining is a good time for this. I would call the disability line to get exact locations. I know there is one around town square in MK.

I hope this helps. He can still have a magical time. I was so scared & nervous about my trip when I had to use an ECV, but it turned out to be one of my favorite trips ever. Since I should not bear weight, I did not transfer to very many rides, but I was great for staying in lines that were over an hour to meet characters & holding places for parades and fireworks! It was also great just to be outside during gorgeous weather. I really got to enjoy the surroundings. It was Flower & Garden time, so all of WDW was in bloom. He will get to enjoy all the Halloween or Christmas decorations depending on your travel dates.

Good luck & hope he is on the mend!
~Julie

Thank you so much for all this advice. It is extremely helpful. I've never really paid much attention before to these issues b/c I never thought we would need an ECV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ireneryan View Post
Holy Crap! I'm glad he's okay, again, I don't have an ECV advice but I can tell you that if you are flying at the airport get a wheelchair and they will help you move him through the airport. You'll board the airplane first and get off last, which makes everything so much easier! I did call the airline in advance to let them know that we would need extra assistance. But it really made flying so much more pleasant! Good luck!
Thanks, that's what we'll do.
GMU MOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #2757
Zooshoveller
WAR EAGLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMU MOM
Thank You all for the well wishes! I knew I could come here for some comfort.

Thanks...but there won't be a next time! The bike was totalled and he won't get another. Honestly, I never wanted him to get this one in the first place. After all the pain he's suffering, he already said no more.
As for rides, he doesn't really ride any of the thrill rides anyway so he should be fine with the other things.

Thank you so much for all this advice. It is extremely helpful. I've never really paid much attention before to these issues b/c I never thought we would need an ECV.

Thanks, that's what we'll do.
You might want to call your resort/hotel and see about getting a handicap accessible room.

Zooshoveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #2758
reddog75418
Earning My Ears

37 days and counting! The kids fleece blankets I ordered last week got delivered today!

Me33,DH42,DD12,D S3
reddog75418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #2759
Eeyores#1Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Glad you're back! I know when I was gone, I missed this group a lot. It's just so nice to be on a thread that is always friendly and helpful. And just as nuts when it comes to Disney as I am! BTW, I thought "normal" was just a setting on my dryer!
LOL! Did I say 'normal' hmmmm that must have been my alter ego.

Quote:

I don't even want to consider cancelling the trip as an option. The kids have been really getting excited for it. If we do rent an ECV, does anyone have any tips/advice? Thank You
Oh no...not sure how I missed this this morning but glad your husband is overall OK. I don't have much info on ECVs but did want to send you hugs cause I'm sure it's a hard position to be in. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery.
Eeyores#1Fan
a.k.a Timika

Member Since 2002
Visits: 1st Visit!! All Star Sports-July, 1999; Christmas @ Lake Buena Vista-2000; Beach Club Villas-June 2003; Members Homecoming 2004; Members Only Cruise 2005; Old Key West-June 2006; Members Only Cruise 2008; Carribean Beach Resort 2009; My BDay Cruise Aug. 20, 2009; Animal Kingdom Villas-March 2010; 3-day Cruise Sept. 23, 2010; DIS Podcast Cruise 2.0; DD 10th BDay Cruise Feb. 24, 2011; All Star Music-June 2011; F&W Festival Oct. 21st; 3 Day Dream Cruise Dec. 15, 2011; Aulani June 2012; Beach Club Villas- Nov. 2012; 3 Day Dream Dec. 13, 2012; All Star Movies - April 2013; Hilton Head - July 2013; Pop - Oct. 2013 F&W Festival; 4 Day Dream Dec. 22, 2013; Pop Century- Dec 2013; Beach Club Villas- June 2014; 3 Day Dream Aug. 14, 2014; Old Key West- Oct. 2014 F&W Festival; Animal Kingdom Villas- March 2015; 3 Day Dream Oct. 30, 2015
Eeyores#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #2760
mrsap
Disney World '86, '04, '05, '06, '10, '12, '13, stb '14

We decided to go ahead and extend our trip!!! Extending the dates (earlier than originally planned to arrive) put us at 29 DAYS to go!!!!!!!!

Please change our arrival date to 11/16 whenever you get a chance! Thank you!

mrsap is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: