Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 03:14 PM   #1756
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaDame View Post
They do limit the # of tickets, right? What crowd level would you say a sold out crowd would be...? A 7? Less? More??
Don't worry- a sold out party is like a slow day at MK. I'd say it is about equal to a level 3-4. Totally a guess, based on my observations- Disney won't release actual numbers of how many tickets they sell, but they do limit the total number of tickets sold. Most rides have minimal waits. Longest line we saw all night was 40 mins for Peter Pan before the first parade (40 min wait is about average for PP even on a level 1 day). Most are walkons or near walkons, though.

We were able to get a great spot for the first parade in Liberty Sq area near the Hall of Presidents 20 mins before it started. The Hub was pretty full for the Hallowishes fireworks, and there was a big spike in crowds and lines in Tomorrowland right after the fireworks, but by 10:30 or so, the whole park was really emptying out.

Lines for meet and greets, especially for the more rare characters, were looong most of the night. We avoided those, since DD is not a huge autograph hound. Trick or treat lines weren't bad at all- most were less than 5 minutes, and they go really fast. Later in the party, CMs were giving out full handfuls of candy- DD made a huge haul. I ended up emptying her little bag into my big tote several times.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #1757
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofKatie View Post
Don't worry- a sold out party is like a slow day at MK. I'd say it is about equal to a level 3-4. Totally a guess, based on my observations- Disney won't release actual numbers of how many tickets they sell, but they do limit the total number of tickets sold. Most rides have minimal waits. Longest line we saw all night was 40 mins for Peter Pan before the first parade (40 min wait is about average for PP even on a level 1 day). Most are walkons or near walkons, though.

We were able to get a great spot for the first parade in Liberty Sq area near the Hall of Presidents 20 mins before it started. The Hub was pretty full for the Hallowishes fireworks, and there was a big spike in crowds and lines in Tomorrowland right after the fireworks, but by 10:30 or so, the whole park was really emptying out.

Lines for meet and greets, especially for the more rare characters, were looong most of the night. We avoided those, since DD is not a huge autograph hound. Trick or treat lines weren't bad at all- most were less than 5 minutes, and they go really fast. Later in the party, CMs were giving out full handfuls of candy- DD made a huge haul. I ended up emptying her little bag into my big tote several times.
Great! I was never worried about a sold out crowd (Im going on Halloween so of course it will be) but everyone keeps mentioning it as if it is horrid so I started worrying. thanks!
Register to remove

Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #1758
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Money for eating...

So I am trying to decide how much money I need to plan on for just food. We are not staying onsite so we won't have the ddp. It is going to be dh, myself and son who will be almost 2. He will probably eat off of our plates. We don't usually get drinks so I didn't add that in.

Does this seem right? I was thinking of cost plus tip and tax

Chef Mickeys breakfast -
$70

Trex dinner-
$60

MK CS dinner -
$30

Biergarden dinner -
$ 100

Sci-Fi dinner-
$ 50

Boma dinner -
$80

AK CS -
$ 25

Snacks/drinks-
$50

How much do you usually tip at a buffet? I have never done a Disney buffet so I am not sure what all the wait staff does for the customer...

So I am coming up with a total of $445
Old 09-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #1759
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
How much do you usually tip at a buffet? I have never done a Disney buffet so I am not sure what all the wait staff does for the customer...
We tip the same as we do at a "regular" TS- between 15-20%, based on service.

It looks like you might need to add a bit to CM and Boma for bigger tips. Example- you gave yourself $70 for Chef Mickey breakfast. 2 adults, including tax but not tip, is $62. You have only allowed $8 for a tip- I would tip more like $12 or so.

You have allowed a bit extra for Biergarten- 2 adults for dinner is around $70. With tip, it would come to about $85, unless you are going to have a beer or 2.

Overall, the total looks pretty good.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:58 PM   #1760
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We tip the same as we do at a "regular" TS- between 15-20%, based on service.

It looks like you might need to add a bit to CM and Boma for bigger tips. Example- you gave yourself $70 for Chef Mickey breakfast. 2 adults, including tax but not tip, is $62. You have only allowed $8 for a tip- I would tip more like $12 or so.

You have allowed a bit extra for Biergarten- 2 adults for dinner is around $70. With tip, it would come to about $85, unless you are going to have a beer or 2.

Overall, the total looks pretty good.
Thanks... I will adjust those places. At a buffet do you get your own drinks or does the waitstaff do that?
Old 09-12-2012, 07:06 PM   #1761
disney mom of 6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiePrincesses View Post
I may be mistaken, but i'm pretty sure that's the day the wise men actually made it to Bethlehem.

It's also the start of Carnival Season and the 1st day you can get king cakes in Mardi Gras country! (Though some places now sell king cakes year round.)
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
I don't mind at all. Epiphany or "Little Christmas" is the day we celebrate the Maji presenting Baby Jesus with gifts. It is also called "Kings Day" and that is where King Cakes come from. The plasic baby hidden in the King Cake is said to be Baby Jesus. Carnival is a season of celebration. It lasts from Kings Day to Mardi Gras. The day after Mardi Gras is Ash Wednesday, which is the beginning of Lent (which is a season of prayer and fasting.)
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzatk View Post
We arrive at the world 11/1.... We are thinking about maybe doing MNSSHP on 11/2. For folks that have been, do you think it will be worth he money since it is after Halloween? We will be leaving home on 10/31 so my kids won't get much trick or treating at home.
We went in Sept in 2010 and my husband thought it was to early but after attending he was glad we did. It was a lot of fun. The 2nd is just a couple days after so I think it would be fine. Have fun! The parade is great.

disney mom of 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 08:48 PM   #1762
MomofKatie

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmouse View Post
Thanks... I will adjust those places. At a buffet do you get your own drinks or does the waitstaff do that?
Waitstaff gets your drinks.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:53 PM   #1763
aubreysmom09
Mouseketeer

So some sad news. I had to cancel our trip we needed to get a new car. We decided to pay a decent down payment and a the TTL. We are going to go to Seaworld ,and IOA. We are AP holders to Seaworld and Busch Gardens. We will go to Disney next year with my parents. Probably to celebrate DD turning 4 and the holidays we saved $1200 by not going. I'm sad, but still grateful to get a new car and a vacation.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #1764
anjalee6
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreysmom09 View Post
So some sad news. I had to cancel our trip we needed to get a new car. We decided to pay a decent down payment and a the TTL. We are going to go to Seaworld ,and IOA. We are AP holders to Seaworld and Busch Gardens. We will go to Disney next year with my parents. Probably to celebrate DD turning 4 and the holidays we saved $1200 by not going. I'm sad, but still grateful to get a new car and a vacation.
Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. A car is obviously important though and I know it is nice to put down a good chunk of money for the car. Enjoy the other parts of the trip though. I am sure you will have a great time.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #1765
aubreysmom09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjalee6 View Post
Sorry to hear you had to cancel your trip. A car is obviously important though and I know it is nice to put down a good chunk of money for the car. Enjoy the other parts of the trip though. I am sure you will have a great time.
I liked having the perk of staying on site, and that DD would have more to do. I really enjoy IOA much more. Since we have the AP to Seaworld we stayed at an onsite resort, and can just walk across the street. Just the down side of driving to universal and parking, or having to wait on a shuttle that has limited times. That was one of the good things about disney. Oh and do we plan meal, or wing it Many people dont get to go on vacations so I feel grateful it's an option. We were just at Disney in April. I am very excited to pick up my new to me Lexus.
aubreysmom09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #1766
Smileybug

I would hate to have missed your fine example of "good Pooh" and "bad poo"
The changes just make me giggle

Good morning ya'll.
They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above....James 1:17
Smileybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:36 AM   #1767
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel4569 View Post
Glad to see that the My Disney Experience app is available for use on iPhone and Android. The previous Mobile Magic app wasn't available for my Android work phone. I have a Verizon Android phone for work and an AT&T iPhone for personal and I'm curious which will work better in the park. With today being the announcement of the new iPhone and my wife and I ready for an upgrade I'm debating on staying with AT&T or moving to Verizon. I'm leaning towards AT&T but I am curious about who works better in the parks. I know there is wi-fi there now, but I've read it's not very good.

So the question comes in 3 parts. For you is it iPhone or Android, AT&T or Verizon, cell service or wi-fi if available?
My 2 cents: iphone, Verizon and cell service. I love not having to worry about wi-fi service when I really need something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatWI View Post
Hello! I’m new to the site and am so glad I found this thread! We’re going to Disney World on Sun 11/4 and leaving Sun 11/10. We’re so excited! My DH, DD17 and I were at Disney over 12 years ago so it will be a completely different experience. We’re also taking my nieces who are 14 and 11, along with my nephew who is 9 yrs old and it will be their first time at Disney! We’re staying in the Nemo section of AOA.

We’re hoping it will be warm enough to swim, but not too hot or crowded at the parks. 53 Days and counting!

It will be warm enough to swim and not terribly hot. And it won't be as crowded as summer or holiday crowds. It will be so totally different from 12 years ago! How fun to re-discover everything! If I were you, I would get hold of an Unofficial Guide to WDW and familiarize yourself with what all is at each park as well as the layout of each park. You can usually get the UG at the library.

Are you doing Magical Express? Have you made ADRs? So glad you found our friendly little thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whazzatk View Post
We arrive at the world 11/1.... We are thinking about maybe doing MNSSHP on 11/2. For folks that have been, do you think it will be worth he money since it is after Halloween? We will be leaving home on 10/31 so my kids won't get much trick or treating at home.
MNSSHP is definitely worth it! We had a blast last year!! Your kids will love it. It has my favorite parade of all time and Hallowishes is very cool. Enjoy!

Quote:

I'm so glad that was your experience. I have read (here on the DIS) about nightmare crowds at MNSSHP in the last few days and lots of disappointment. It's encouraging to hear from someone who has a different perspective!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubreysmom09 View Post
So sorry you need to cancel your trip, but glad you still get to go on vacation. It would be so hard to be so close to Disney and NOT go! Of course getting home and driving a Lexus would soothe me pretty well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Good morning ya'll.
Good Morning!! Hey Smileybug, where are we going???
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #1768
Eeyores#1Fan
DIS Veteran

Morning! Happy Thursday 68 days til Disney and 89 til DCL 3 Night cruise. I feel all Disney tingly these days
Eeyores#1Fan
a.k.a Timika

Member Since 2002
Visits: 1st Visit!! All Star Sports-July, 1999; Christmas @ Lake Buena Vista-2000; Beach Club Villas-June 2003; Members Homecoming 2004; Members Only Cruise 2005; Old Key West-June 2006; Members Only Cruise 2008; Carribean Beach Resort 2009; My BDay Cruise Aug. 20, 2009; Animal Kingdom Villas-March 2010; 3-day Cruise Sept. 23, 2010; DIS Podcast Cruise 2.0; DD 10th BDay Cruise Feb. 24, 2011; All Star Music-June 2011; F&W Festival Oct. 21st; 3 Day Dream Cruise Dec. 15, 2011; Aulani June 2012; Beach Club Villas- Nov. 2012; 3 Day Dream Dec. 13, 2012; All Star Movies - April 2013; Hilton Head - July 2013; Pop - Oct. 2013 F&W Festival; 4 Day Dream Dec. 22, 2013; Pop Century- Dec 2013; Beach Club Villas- June 2014; 3 Day Dream Aug. 14, 2014; Old Key West- Oct. 2014 F&W Festival; Animal Kingdom Villas- March 2015; 3 Day Dream Oct. 30, 2015
Eeyores#1Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #1769
Smileybug

I would hate to have missed your fine example of "good Pooh" and "bad poo"
The changes just make me giggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychic2 View Post
Hey Smileybug, where are we going???

WE ARE ALL GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!!!!!

They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above....James 1:17
Smileybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #1770
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Just to clarify...... the rides on a sold out party night will indeed have short-ish lines, perhaps like a 3-4 crowd level day. But Main Street will be wall to wall people, perhaps more packed than you have ever seen it before. It is very hard to maneuver around.

Most folks who pay $60+ a head for party tickets don't do so to do the same things they can do during a regular park day (like rides). They pay it to do the special party things.... fireworks, shows, parade, character meets. Those things are the ones with long lines and big crowds.

That doesn't mean you shouln't go. I have been at several sold out parties. And it is possible to have fun. But if you're going in expectng low crowds, you will definitely be disappointed.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: