Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts > Disney Discount Codes and Rates
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #1501
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smileybug View Post
Did they say how far back?
Nope. They said the land and the movies are being pushed back because of some creative disputes between Cameron and Disney. No other info was given.
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #1502
Smileybug

I would hate to have missed your fine example of "good Pooh" and "bad poo"
The changes just make me giggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
Nope. They said the land and the movies are being pushed back because of some creative disputes between Cameron and Disney. No other info was given.

Well rats!
They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Every good and perfect gift comes from above....James 1:17
Smileybug is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2012, 12:22 PM   #1503
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quote:
Well rats!
I believe 'creative disputes' are why Harry Potter is at Universal and not Disney.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #1504
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
As if you weren't getting up early enough! Well, at least you'll be at Disney that much earlier!
Quote:
Thats what I was thinking.
Yes, we will get there a little earlier (9:30 instead of 9:55), but since I have family helping us to the airport, I need to make sure he is OK with the time, even though he is used to getting up at that time (as are we)
11/07/12-11/13/12 - Anniversary/Birthday, Wilderness Lodge Club Level
11/12/14-11/18/12 - Anniversary/Birthday/Christmas, Wilderness Lodge

Broncobilly83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #1505
Smileybug

Quote:
I believe 'creative disputes' are why Harry Potter is at Universal and not Disney.
I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncobilly83 View Post
Yes, we will get there a little earlier (9:30 instead of 9:55), but since I have family helping us to the airport, I need to make sure he is OK with the time, even though he is used to getting up at that time (as are we)

What time are you having to leave?
They know me in a way no one ever has...They open me to things I never knew existed...They drive me to insanity and push me to my depts...They are the beat of my heart, the pulse of my veins, and the energy in my soul.....They are my kids.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #1506
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quote:
I didn't know that.
Oh yes, Rowling was in talks with Disney and when they couldn't agree, Universal jumped in.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:41 PM   #1507
Smileybug

Quote:
Oh yes, Rowling was in talks with Disney and when they couldn't agree, Universal jumped in.

Disney sure missed something big with this.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #1508
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

Quote:

What time are you having to leave?
Well, that is variable, I think. The flight is at 7AM, and we are 57 miles from the Airport (Reagan National). However, my father is insane, and drives like a bat out of heck at times, plus he knows all the backroads to avoid traffic etc, so I have to think sometime between 4-5AM we leave the house

Old 09-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #1509
vleeth
I heart Disney

Here's an writeup about the HP-Disney thing.

Back at the end of the 20th century (still strange to say), there was something brewing up with these children’s books coming out of England by an unknown author. By 1999, Warner Bros. had jumped on the chance to turn the first four books into movies. The first four books cost Warner Brothers Studio nearly $2 million dollars just to have the rights to. After the first film received massive attention and box office numbers, the Disney company jumped on board with the project, purchasing the rights for the film to television deal for the first film at a reported $1 million dollars. Soon after, it became a bidding war for the possible theme park rights to J.K. Rowling’s run-away success in the Harry Potter franchise.

Disney was in very deep negotiations with Rowling but both sides were having a hard time agreeing. A very stubborn Rowling was not going to allow Disney Imagineers the right to change what she had created or to scale down what she thought was suitable for a Harry Potter theme park.

By 2007, Universal had garnered the rights to Harry Potter by giving Rowling almost everything she wanted while also compensating Warner Bros. for the visual representations of several film locations planned for the future Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Well, we know what happened after that. The Wizarding World opened in June of 2010 at Universal’s Islands of Adventure and theme park attendance rose while Universal gained a 10% increase in profits. Now in 2012, they are expanding the Harry Potter area to make it even bigger, and have announced the same for Universal Studios in Hollywood.

So after years of conversations and proposals, why did J.K. Rowling pass up Disney and go with Universal Studios? Much like the film series, J.K. Rowling had stiff demands that she wanted to keep. One story that had made the rounds a few years ago is that J.K. Rowling wanted Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry to be of actual size. She figured that Disney had the money to do it, and she wasn’t going to scale down the key location for much of the series. That would mean Hogwarts would be as big, if not bigger, than the iconic Cinderella Castle at the Magic Kingdom Park. Disney wasn’t fond of taking their icon since 1971 and posting Hogwarts in front of it just to make a few extra dollars.

So Harry Potter ended up at Universal Studios instead of Walt Disney World. To that I say congratulations to Universal Studios as they needed something to boost their parks, and for Walt Disney World, I say it wasn’t worth it. Walt Disney World is doing great business with the franchises it already owns and they are doing what they need to be doing currently, reinventing instead of expanding.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #1510
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quote:
Well, that is variable, I think. The flight is at 7AM, and we are 57 miles from the Airport (Reagan National). However, my father is insane, and drives like a bat out of heck at times, plus he knows all the backroads to avoid traffic etc, so I have to think sometime between 4-5AM we leave the house
Does it take you an hour to get there? Or is it longer? I'd say you'd want to be there an hour before your flight, plus the time it takes to get there, plus maybe 15 mins in case of an accident or something blocking the road.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:57 PM   #1511
Broncobilly83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does it take you an hour to get there? Or is it longer? I'd say you'd want to be there an hour before your flight, plus the time it takes to get there, plus maybe 15 mins in case of an accident or something blocking the road.
Looking at Google Maps, it says it would take 1 hour 14 minutes if we did the trip right now, but that is with midday traffic, etc. I figure traffic at 4-5 AM would be a lot lighter

Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #1512
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quote:
Looking at Google Maps, it says it would take 1 hour 14 minutes if we did the trip right now, but that is with midday traffic, etc. I figure traffic at 4-5 AM would be a lot lighter
Seems like 4:30 would get you there with time to spare.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #1513
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
1910 hours to go

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards
That reminds me of my DH who, when it's someone's birthday, he breaks it down into months. So our DS is going to be 360 months on his upcoming birthday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesshope1982 View Post
Morning all

It's getting so close..i cant stand it Almost time to pay off the trip.
I pay mine off Oct 14! Then it's really real!

Quote:
Did everyone see that they changed all the cs menus and prices? Glad I have free dining!
Yeah, I'm glad we have it too. Things always seem to be going up. I so dislike the way all the food packages are a bit smaller. Like a 1/2 gallon of ice cream isn't a 1/2 gallon any more. I just bought some fabric today at JoAnn's and it's not 44" width any more, which all the patterns use to tell you how much to get, it is 43, 42 or even 41" which screws everything up. Sheesh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulles View Post
I just added the waterpark option to our hoppers. Cost an extra $22 each. Had to phone twice though because the first lady told me that unless I lived in Florida I'd have to pay an extra $57 for the waterpark option. Silly woman obviously didn't know I was a DISer and know my way around a Disney discount.
Right on, sister!

Quote:
Well, JetBlue is changing our flight times. We were going to leave out of DC at 7:25 AM, now it is 7:00 AM.
I would love it if my flight changed to an earlier time! We usually get the 6AM flight, but this year it's 8:10. I figure, I'm having trouble sleeping the night before, might as well get the show on the road!

Quote:
I wasn't all that excited about Avatarland anyway. I really liked the movie, but wasn't sure it would be interesting enough for a whole land. Of course, when Disney does something, they do an extraordinary job, so it will no doubt be awesome.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #1514
disneychic2
DIS Veteran

I was excited to get a package from the Disney store yesterday with my DGS birthday presents. I got him a talking Woody and one of the guns that are like the ones at TSM called Woody's Blaster. I also got a couple of plush animals, Pluto and Lady and a Rapunzel fashion set, all to be put away for Christmas. Unless I can't stand it and give it to them earlier!!!

Then, today I got my 2013 edition of the Unofficial Guide (from Amazon). I don't get one every year, but like to update every 2 or 3 years. I don't even really need it, but it's fun to read through and gives me something to do while I'm waiting to get there. Ok. I can admit it. I'm pathetic!
Old 09-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #1515
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Just did the cardinal sin... added up how many more gift cards we need... OY! Food is so spendy! This is still way better than sticker shock once we get home though...!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: