Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Canon Rebel- external flash

Any recommendations for an external flash? I have a Canon rebel, and really want to get one- trying to not spend over about $150-$200. Just want to get one so I can take pics of parades(in the dark), fireworks, maybe a reception hall that is dark for a wedding. Any help or websites would be great. Thanks
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
nikkistevej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #2
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

For fireworks you won't need a flash or fast lens. You will need a tripod.

For the parade and wedding receptions... there are not many flashes that fall in your budget range. Many of those won't do much more for you than the on camera flash does. If you could go a little higher to $300 the Canon 430EX is in reach and it's a nice entry level flash. My feelings are that if you can't afford a solid flash hold off until you can because it can be really frustrating trying to work with an underpowered flash that is not articulated.

I also tend to shy away from third party flashes (the cheap Sunpack, Targus, Bower and Vivitar types rather than the Sigma or high end third party flashes) because they can very easily cause power surges that will damage the electronics in your camera over time. It's the same reason you can't use old flashes with your DSLR. It's like using cheap batteries. I'd rather pay more for that piece of mind.

Another option for low light is a fast prime lens. There are a couple within your reach price wise and will help you get low light shots.

If we all agreed all the time the world would be an awfully boring place. I'm here to make it interesting!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #3
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the response- will look into "up-ping" my price range.
Trips: 2005-1st trip to WDW(CBR),2007-WDW(POP)& DCL(Eastern)& bought DVC AKV,2008-WDW(AKV),2009-WDW(SSR)&DCL(Western),2010-WDW(BLT)&DCL(Bahamas), 2011-NCL-Alaska,2012-DCL & AKV for Thanksgiving,2013-1st trip to DLR!!, DCL & WDW(AKV)2014 Spring Break
Old 08-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

The 270exii and 320 are both good medium speedlites that will prob fit your needs
Frantasmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 PM   #5
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

You could try an off-brand flash. I picked up a Yongnuo YN465 off eBay. It was only around $65, brand new. Someone on here suggested it one time; and I just love it. You can't beat that price either.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
nikkistevej
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frantasmic View Post
The 270exii and 320 are both good medium speedlites that will prob fit your needs
I will check them out thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrisonS View Post
You could try an off-brand flash. I picked up a Yongnuo YN465 off eBay. It was only around $65, brand new. Someone on here suggested it one time; and I just love it. You can't beat that price either.
$65 sounds great!!
Old 08-14-2012, 04:30 AM   #7
bob100
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrisonS View Post
I've been using Yongnuo flashes for over three years, inexpensive and (IMO) they perform just as good as the name brands
http://speedlights.net/compare-speedlight-specs/
bob100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: