Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #1
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

Just back home. Thoughts on our trip.

Just finished a 7-day trip and everyone is sad to be home. Here's some quick thoughts:

Contemporary - had a blast again. Can't beat the short walk to MK. If it was a tad easier to get to other parks it would be even better. Bus issue one morning caused us to take almost an hour to reach DHS. One bus came despite four coming for AK (three left with no one on them). Similar issue getting back that night - huge line bc one bus went to all three MK resorts. But still love the hotel and will stay again. We just missed being able to pull a FP at TSM bc of the bus issue. They ran out just before we got there.

FP+ - worked great for us. Switched rides a few times and never had a problem. We were also able to pull paper FP several times each day. When they phase out the original FP I'll be disappointed unless they boost the number of FP+ you can use (think you need at least 5 and ability to plan diff parks). Other issue with FP+ is that it has grossly affected the lines at attractions where FP+ was added. For instance - POC has typically only had a line of 30-40 mins during truly heavy traffic days. But this week it had a long like several times due in large part to the fact that there's no longer two lines for standby. Now the right line is just FP+. One day the standby line was 40 mins long and you could walk on via FP+ and ride in an empty boat. They need to address this by diverting people from standby into FP line somewhere along the way. I almost felt bad the one day we rode via FP (changed bc of the standby line and a lack of desire to ride splash mountain).

New attractions: Loved Be our Guest. Had the FP lunch and enjoyed the French onion soup and various sandwiches. Kids wished there were more choices though. The Ariel ride was neat and the Belle story thing was truly neat - great effects that really make kids feel like the characters have come to life. My son got picked to play a part and he loved it. Plus Belle took photos with every kid in attendance. And they continue this show even late at night. Went one evening at 11:00 when few kids were even there.

Restaurants: loved Teppan Edo at Epcot. Best meal all week and this was our first visit there. Ohana was subpar and it's one of our favorites - really disappointed. Bad waiter and tough meat. Biergarten was fun as usual - love the band. BOGO - see above. Chef Mickey - first and last time. Decent food but breakfast is a poor use of the dining plan. Sleepy Hollow for waffles is a better choice if you ask me. 50's Diner at DHS was our traditional thanksgiving meal and we enjoyed it. Food was fair but waiter was outstanding. Best service of the week.

Can't wait to go back. And again - sad the trip is over. Weather could have been a little warmer. That wind really was blowing several nights. But I won't blame Disney for that. LOL.
SoonerSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
Brian_WDW74
Theme Parks Co-Moderator
Oh, I'm detecting nuttiness.

DISboards Moderator

Per the Looking for the Live Report and Just Back Threads? sticky thread, I have moved this to the Disney Trip Reports board.

Brian_WDW74 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
Per the Looking for the Live Report and Just Back Threads? sticky thread, I have moved this to the Disney Trip Reports board.
My fault. Hit the wrong board. We honestly just got home. Looooong day since started by checking our bags at the hotel airlines desk at 7AM.

Thanks for moving it.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
curemyreed
DIS Veteran

Great trip report. Thanks for posting. Interesting about the change in how the line moves for POTC. Looks like I will want to do it early in the day before the standby line builds since I don't want to use a FP+ for it.
curemyreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
SoonerSean
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curemyreed View Post
Great trip report. Thanks for posting. Interesting about the change in how the line moves for POTC. Looks like I will want to do it early in the day before the standby line builds since I don't want to use a FP+ for it.
The line seemed to fluctuate depending on time of day. Obviously early is easy. We were at RD several mornings and seemingly had the park to ourselves from 8-9:30 or so. We rode POTC a handful of times each morning. Last day my youngest wanted to ride Buzz so we did that four times in a row and never waited a second.

For POTC the FP+ was really unnecessary but it, like almost every other attraction, now has one and it - in my opinion - really hurt the standby line because they never let standby riders get in the FP line. As you know the original FP attractions have a point where both the standby and FP lines meet and a CM can manage the lines there to keep a good flow going. If no one is in the FP line he/she can allow standby riders to stream in. Well at POTC they weren't doing that. The standby line would have a 40 minute wait while 4-5 people would go down the FP+ line and get on a near empty boat. So they need to tweak that.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great TR!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: