Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
maekeith
Earning My Ears

WBC question

I have recently made a deposit for a 2 bedroom on this property and was very satisfied with my choice until I read that a child has to be 48 inches to use the waterslide at the pirate pool. I know it may sound silly to some but our 6 year old grandaughter loves waterslides and it is very important for us to make sure she has one.

I am now thinking of trying to find a property that has the waterslide along with the shuttle service. I know I will lose my deposit but we need that slide. lol

Can any of the posters here make a few suggestions on other properties. Thank you so much.

Mae
maekeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
nilseks
DIS Veteran

I know this is the thread for off-property hotels, but you may want to look into renting DVC points if the slide is really important. Last year we rented points and stayed at Old Key West for only about $75 more than what we are paying for WBC this year. Our nephew is 7 but small for his age; he really enjoyed the slide at OKW and nobody said anything about his size. My kids have been going on the slides at Disney resorts since they were probably about 4 years old, with no problems.
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
maekeith
Earning My Ears

WBC question

Actually, we will be spending most of our time at Universal and SeaWorld on this trip so really do not want to stay on a disney resort. We stayed at the Port Orleans (French Quarter) in May and it was wonderful, this time would like to stay off sight. Any suggestions?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:11 AM   #4
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maekeith View Post
I have recently made a deposit for a 2 bedroom on this property and was very satisfied with my choice until I read that a child has to be 48 inches to use the waterslide at the pirate pool. I know it may sound silly to some but our 6 year old grandaughter loves waterslides and it is very important for us to make sure she has one.

I am now thinking of trying to find a property that has the waterslide along with the shuttle service. I know I will lose my deposit but we need that slide. lol

Can any of the posters here make a few suggestions on other properties. Thank you so much.

Mae
Interesting. When my son was 4-years-old he went down the slide at the WBC pirate pool. The guy working there said "hey, you seem a little small, but go right on ahead." I guess they enforce height rules at some hotels, but I haven't seen much of it.

Anyway, I would suggest Marriott Harbor Lake resort for your trip. It has a pirate-themed pool with two small slides. The has another pool with a giant splash park and bigger slide with a 42 inch requirement (I didn't see anyone with a tape measure there, either. This is an excellent resort if you have young children. Lots of activities and pool splash areas. We recently stayed there for a week and went to a theme park for one day.

Anyhow, this resort is right next door to Sea World and therefore closer to Universal. The I-drive trolley has a stop near the front gate. I would strongly suggest renting a car, though, for anywhere offsite. WBC has the best bus service I have seen if you can't drive.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
maekeith
Earning My Ears

WBC question

Thank you for your reply. Our Grandaughter is about 44 inches so hopefully they won't be completely rigid about the height requirement. I really do not want to be looking for other accommodations. The Marriott is nice but it does not fit into our budget. WBC appears to have everything we want at a very reasonable price. If worse comes to worse I am sure there is enough going on to keep the little one happy.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:20 PM   #6
encinc
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upatnoon
Interesting. When my son was 4-years-old he went down the slide at the WBC pirate pool. The guy working there said "hey, you seem a little small, but go right on ahead." I guess they enforce height rules at some hotels, but I haven't seen much of it.
We had a very different experience at Bonnet Creek a couple of years ago. DS2 was about 46 inches tall and a very strong swimmer for his age. The lifeguard would not allow him on the slide at the pirate pool. He was devastated. The very understanding lifeguard said that he wanted to let him because he'd seen how sting a swimmer her was, but he couldn't. We used it as an example for DS that sometimes you have to follow rules, even when you don't understand the reason for the rules.

So, I wouldn't count on being allowed on that slide, but absolutely, there are lots of other wonderful activities to keep kids of all sizes happy!
encinc is offline   Reply With Quote