Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Tent prep for christmas!

We will be there Dec. 19 - 26th! Put up our old tent this evening (we haven't used it since we evaced from Hurricane Ike). The tent instructions were glued together from rain so after we figured that out and got her up I sprayed her and sealed the seams.

Tomorrow we will test out the air mattresses.

I would really like a 2nd tent if anyone knows of a good place to buy.

I don't know how I can stand this much anticipation!

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Tuffcookie
Enjoys an early hour of peace
Women like the simple things in life...like men!:D
Is a smart cookie

I bought my tent at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I have always tent camped at FW during Spring Break. If you're going around Christmas time, be sure to take an electric blanket!

TC
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #3
Butterbunkins
Mouseketeer

Check out Walmart for tents. They have the same stuff the sporting goods stores carry at cheaper prices. Even the sales girl at Bass Pro told me to only buy there what I can't find at Walmart because anything they both carry will be less.
1986 - offsite, 1988 - offsite, 1989 - DL, 1992 - BC, 1994 - offsite, 1997 - offsite, 1998 - PO (DL), 1999 - CS, 1999 - Cast Member, 2002 - BCV, 2003 - DL, 2004 - CB, 2008 - BWV, 2010 (Honeymoon) - BWV

Next trip: Nov. 2012 FW (tent) for 2 nights then BWV for 7 nights

Mr. and Mrs. Butterbunkins
Butterbunkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM   #4
skkreat
Campground Junkies

Sports.woot.com (it may be sport, not sports) had a tent yesterday on sale for $85 shipped for a two room tent. They put up tents periodically I've seen them twice in the past 2-3 months. FYI.
skkreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Thanks Tuff! Good advice! I bought a heated mattress pad on clearance at WalM for DD & I will look for an electric blanket!

Old 08-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
HoliPoli
Disney Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tented1 View Post
Thanks Tuff! Good advice! I bought a heated mattress pad on clearance at WalM for DD & I will look for an electric blanket!
Looks like we might be neighbors! We're tent camping Dec 16th - 26th. First Christmas at the Fort and I'm so excited. This is also the first ever Christmas for my SO (He's Jewish).

Loved this about the heated mattress pad. I didn't know they existed so i'm logging on to walmart.com right now to see if they have some.

Do you have a PTR? Would love to see what you have planned as I'm looking for ideas myself!
Old 08-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbunkins
Check out Walmart for tents. They have the same stuff the sporting goods stores carry at cheaper prices. Even the sales girl at Bass Pro told me to only buy there what I can't find at Walmart because anything they both carry will be less.
Thanks Butterb! There are 3 WalM's on my way to work I'll be checking them out.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skkreat
Sports.woot.com (it may be sport, not sports) had a tent yesterday on sale for $85 shipped for a two room tent. They put up tents periodically I've seen them twice in the past 2-3 months. FYI.
Thank you! This is one I've never heard of. Can't wait to check them out.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliPoli

Looks like we might be neighbors! We're tent camping Dec 16th - 26th. First Christmas at the Fort and I'm so excited. This is also the first ever Christmas for my SO (He's Jewish).

Loved this about the heated mattress pad. I didn't know they existed so i'm logging on to walmart.com right now to see if they have some.

Do you have a PTR? Would love to see what you have planned as I'm looking for ideas myself!
Yeah! This will be our 1st Christmas at WDW too and 1st FW experience. I think it will be amazing (notwithstanding the theme park crowds).

I found the mattress pad only in a twin size.

I'm knew to the forums so I assume PTR is an itinerary? If so, I'm working on it, with the crowds I feel it will be best to have a good plan.

YOU have a better time window! (envy envy!)

We will be driving in from Louisiana but we are right on the border w/TX. I have a Ford Fiesta hatch and plan to purchase a roof bag. I bought a bike rack last week. It was so much easier when I had a truck! My co-worker's think I'm crazy! LOL's!

Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #10
HoliPoli
Disney Diva

Quote:
Yeah! This will be our 1st Christmas at WDW too and 1st FW experience. I think it will be amazing (notwithstanding the theme park crowds).

I'm knew to the forums so I assume PTR is an itinerary? If so, I'm working on it, with the crowds I feel it will be best to have a good plan.

We will be driving in from Louisiana but we are right on the border w/TX. I have a Ford Fiesta hatch and plan to purchase a roof bag. I bought a bike rack last week. It was so much easier when I had a truck! My co-worker's think I'm crazy! LOL's!
DS6 and I are actually taking the train from North Carolina to Orlando where we'll be picked up by my So who lives in Orlando then we'll head on to the Fort to check in. He has all the camping essentials we need so I get to travel light. It works out so well!

And yep I mean an itinerary. I've been tentatively scribbling out mine on a spreadsheet changing things as needed before I make it "official". I just love to plan! I am most excited about seeing all of the Christmas decor at FW.
Old 08-17-2012, 04:51 PM   #11
Tented1
Mouseketeer

I think the packing plan with the Fiesta has become the mountain that I WILL conquer with . . . You said it! PLANING!

I have a spreadsheet too! I was working on it (again) after the office closed at noon today and factoring in EMH's.

This will be my DH's 1st trip to WDW, he will be 61 12/9.

I really need the magic to take me away and I can't wait to see the decorations! My little girl is going to be shocked!

Old 08-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Tent prep on the older tent and thunderstorm revealed need for a new tent pole. One minute she was up and the next she was totally collapsed! From Previous lurking at Academy I knew where some adjustable aluminum poles were (4.95!) and it fit! Weathered the next storm fine!

Magic!

Old 08-25-2012, 01:14 PM   #13
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:

In response to the mattress pads - don't know about WM - but they do come in other sizes. We did have one in Queen, took it to Goodwill - too warm for us to sleep on Too bumpy for us just for the pad. You probably will need something warm in a tent though.

We were there in Dec 2010 and nearly froze. It got down in 20's several nights, high 40's and windy during the day. The usual, no, but it does happen. We have a MH and the furnace ran a lot.

I am from LA too, and Dec. weather can be the same there. Remember the huge snow storm a few years back?????

Enjoy your planning and trip! We'll be at FW 11/27 - 12/7

Just noticed you are in extreme west LA, maybe there was no snow over there, but there sure was Hammond way!!
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #14
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse
Enjoy your planning and trip! We'll be at FW 11/27 - 12/7
Just noticed you are in extreme west LA, maybe there was no snow over there, but there sure was Hammond way!!
The snow here didn't stick. DD9 & I drove home in a snow flurry - it was beautiful! I'll be getting electric blankets Just case.

The heated mattress pad is for DD, she's cold natured so I'll have her toasty if need be. Thanks for the tip about the bumpiness I may need to put something else on top. I'll let her try it out beforehand.

I went to the girls Sweet 16 bball tourney twice in the latter 70's and your Hammond point guard made quite an impression on me. I lived in TX at the time, years later I realized just how high and far she bounced!

Enjoy your trip!

Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #15
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Got our 2nd tent! After much lurk reading and investigation I realized I wanted a Copper Canyon but I sure wasn't going to spend $400! I found the Eureka Outlet sight and saw a class B (used) 1312 for $169. I had cynical thoughts. I had read somewhere on the site that they may have products that weren't listed. I emailed and asked about the class B 1312 and if there was anything else available cause I really wanted a CC but not at $400. I got a very informative response from Bill Van Pelt with an offer for a brand new in the box CC 1312 for $199 because it was a 2011 tent. I pounced! It's set up in the yard right now & I just sealed the seams this afternoon. Can't wait for our 1st FW Christmas! Poor old tent! It's now reduced to 2nd standing for gear and backup!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: