Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2013, 07:52 PM   #76
Buffettfamily
Earning My Ears

Great thinking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymomoftwo View Post
It is not a requirement to have a passport when traveling on a cruise ship. But, if something were to happen unexpectedly where you do not return to the U.S. on the ship (maybe got sick and had to be hospitalized at Nassau-therefore missing the ship), you would be required to have a U.S. Passport to come back to the U.S. via airplane. I know the chances are highly unlikely, but a lot of people would rather have that peace of mind.

If you're a family of four and don't have the extra $$$ to buy all passports at once, maybe get one passport each month or month and a half so the cost is spread out and not so hard on the checkbook. And...a passport card does not work....you have to get the full blown passport BOOK. The cards are only good for traveling in/out via vehicle...not air.
Thanks!
Buffettfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:56 PM   #77
squaggles
Earning My Ears

we planned on just using birth certificates. we aren't planning on any excursions. but might go check out the shopping in nassau. do you think that we should go ahead and get them passport cards?
squaggles is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #78
Luckymomoftwo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaggles View Post
we planned on just using birth certificates. we aren't planning on any excursions. but might go check out the shopping in nassau. do you think that we should go ahead and get them passport cards?
The passport cards will do absolutely no good because they are only good for those traveling back into the US in a vehicle. They are not good for flying or cruising.

The actual passport book is a good thing to have in case of an emergency. For instance....you are in Nassau and someone in your family gets sick and has to be hospitalized. You miss the ship when it leaves Nassau. Your only way home is to fly and if you don't have a passport book, you can't get through customs.

Now, granted, it's a rare case that someone is hospitalized and misses the ship, but it can and has happened. And, it's not that you'll NEVER get back home, but it would take a lot of time, money, and hassle dealing with the US Government. To me, it's just worth it to spend the money every 5-10 years on a passport.

Luckymomoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #79
Luckymomoftwo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffettfamily View Post
We plan on driving down the day before our cruise from South Carolina. I'm researching some different park and cruise hotels. Anyone have any good suggestions or tips about parking and getting to the terminal? Thanks!
We have always enjoyed staying at the Radisson at the Port. Here's what we do:

DH drives us and all of our luggage to the terminal and drops us off. Then he goes back to the Radisson and parks the car in the Cruise parking lot and he takes the shuttle back to the terminal. That way we don't have to handle the luggage quite as long and only one person has to ride the shuttle. (when you're waiting to get on that shuttle, it can take quite a while, and then it takes them a while to unload all the luggage at the terminal) The shuttle used to be free but now I guess they charge per person when you just stay the night at the Radisson. They DO have cruise packages, but they are a little bit more expensive and they include breakfast and maybe the shuttle. We always just go across the street to McDonald's for breakfast.

Hope that all makes sense!

Old 04-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #80
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

So...what is everyone planning for Nassau?

I'm not interested in shopping. DD is not interested in sightseeing. I strongly dislike feeling pressured into buying stuff I don't want, and I'm a little worried about being mugged if we go off on our own somewhere. DD would like to go to Atlantis, but I feel that the excursion is too expensive for what you get. In addition, I'm just not crazy over water parks... so I guess I just don't really want to go to Atlantis lol.

Are there any beaches that are clean, easy to get to, and where I won't be bugged to buy stuff or have our hair braided?

For now, I'm kind of leaning towards just staying on the ship since it's our first cruise and I don't feel like four days is enough time to do all we'd like to do. Then again, it seems crazy to visit a new place and then just look at it from onboard and not actually GO anywhere lol.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 PM   #81
squaggles
Earning My Ears

Since this is our first FE, I don't know exactly how all this works out. I know we have someone putting the list together. I just wonder how much time you normally have to get everything together. Is the July cut off date the first time we'll get the list?
i am super excited about participating. we have seen them by people's cabins on our other cruises...

Old 04-06-2013, 12:34 AM   #82
FabFar4
Earning My Ears

The Cat's Out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFar4 View Post
We are looking forward to taking our girls, 8 & 3, on their second Dream cruise in September but haven't told them about it yet and want to surprise them in a fun way. Any suggestions?

Also interested in FE!
So, we took a kid free cruise on the Wonder(kids didn't know) in March and while debating what to bring them for a souvenir we decided there was no better one than the cruise on the Dream that they have been dreaming of! I ended up using the complimentary post cards (2) in the room to write "We are ALL going on a Disney Dream Cruise on September 15!" I put them in envelopes and handed them to the girls when we returned.
Our younger girl took the card out and was waving it around chirping, "Micky and Minnie". The older girl opened hers carefully and examined the picture of the ship closely and then read the back. She was shocked into silence, which NEVER happens. She had to read it a second time, at which point she began crying because she was so happy!
FabFar4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:18 PM   #83
squaggles
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymomoftwo View Post
The passport cards will do absolutely no good because they are only good for those traveling back into the US in a vehicle. They are not good for flying or cruising.

The actual passport book is a good thing to have in case of an emergency. For instance....you are in Nassau and someone in your family gets sick and has to be hospitalized. You miss the ship when it leaves Nassau. Your only way home is to fly and if you don't have a passport book, you can't get through customs.

Now, granted, it's a rare case that someone is hospitalized and misses the ship, but it can and has happened. And, it's not that you'll NEVER get back home, but it would take a lot of time, money, and hassle dealing with the US Government. To me, it's just worth it to spend the money every 5-10 years on a passport.
That is great information to know. We have already filled out applications for the passport card. But, thanks to that info, we won't be doing those. I didn't realize that they were only good for cruising.

Thanks so much!
Old 04-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #84
fannonzoo
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTideFan View Post
Has an FE group been set up yet for this cruise? I am a first time disney cruiser and am very excited about the FE. Our party includes 3 staterooms that I believe are all going to participate.
Welcome aboard GirlTideFan! Yes there is a FE group. I know that mmackeymouse is organizing the FE. I would assume you should be getting a PM from her with the information that is being requested for the FE.

me (40), DH (40), DD (13, DS (8), DS (3)

fannonzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:10 PM   #85
jbrock2013
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
So...what is everyone planning for Nassau?

I'm not interested in shopping. DD is not interested in sightseeing. I strongly dislike feeling pressured into buying stuff I don't want, and I'm a little worried about being mugged if we go off on our own somewhere. DD would like to go to Atlantis, but I feel that the excursion is too expensive for what you get. In addition, I'm just not crazy over water parks... so I guess I just don't really want to go to Atlantis lol.

Are there any beaches that are clean, easy to get to, and where I won't be bugged to buy stuff or have our hair braided?

For now, I'm kind of leaning towards just staying on the ship since it's our first cruise and I don't feel like four days is enough time to do all we'd like to do. Then again, it seems crazy to visit a new place and then just look at it from onboard and not actually GO anywhere lol.
I'm undecided as well. We've done Atlantis before they have diff packages w & w/out water park still exp tho. It was nice to do once we did enjoy the aquarium. We didn't do the beach bfor since the water was too rough even for us avid beach Floridians. Im researching free beaches, they say u can take a water taxi over to Atlantis side & theres a beach over there (?). The other one they say is free has several reviews of being dirty & broken glass so thats a def no for us. It'll b just myself & my 2 teens so I'm not venturing off on our own. Would like to get off boat (can never get enough of the beach) but just unsure of where & how to get there safely. If u come across any info let me know.

Jackie
jbrock2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:14 PM   #86
GirlTideFan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by fannonzoo View Post

Welcome aboard GirlTideFan! Yes there is a FE group. I know that mmackeymouse is organizing the FE. I would assume you should be getting a PM from her with the information that is being requested for the FE.
Thanks! I haven't received one yet but I'm sure it will come shortly.
GirlTideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:57 PM   #87
Luckymomoftwo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabFar4 View Post
So, we took a kid free cruise on the Wonder(kids didn't know) in March and while debating what to bring them for a souvenir we decided there was no better one than the cruise on the Dream that they have been dreaming of! I ended up using the complimentary post cards (2) in the room to write "We are ALL going on a Disney Dream Cruise on September 15!" I put them in envelopes and handed them to the girls when we returned.
Our younger girl took the card out and was waving it around chirping, "Micky and Minnie". The older girl opened hers carefully and examined the picture of the ship closely and then read the back. She was shocked into silence, which NEVER happens. She had to read it a second time, at which point she began crying because she was so happy!
That's an AWESOME way to surprise them! How cute!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaggles View Post
That is great information to know. We have already filled out applications for the passport card. But, thanks to that info, we won't be doing those. I didn't realize that they were only good for cruising.

Thanks so much!
You're welcome! My cousin went on a cruise last October. I told her she should get passports. She called the Post Office and said "We are going on a cruise, do we need passports or the passport cards?" And the ding-bat lady told her "Passport cards are fine". So, then I got all excited because then it would be cheaper for us when we renew ours. Then my gut instinct told me to check into it. So, I did....and that's when I found out the lady at the Post Office told her wrong!! Well....she didn't exactly tell her wrong....she just didn't tell her that if she would need to return via air, she would have problems. *sigh* Sometimes it's all how you ask the question....and I'm so glad I researched it more to find out the correct answer!

Old 04-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #88
ralph Nelson
Earning My Ears

HI RALPH here right outside port is park and cruise place not expensive and very friendly people secure lot goggle park and cruise near port canaveral
Old 05-05-2013, 05:12 PM   #89
Kashabear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffettfamily View Post
We plan on driving down the day before our cruise from South Carolina. I'm researching some different park and cruise hotels. Anyone have any good suggestions or tips about parking and getting to the terminal? Thanks!
We have stayed at the Country Inn and Suites. They have a nice cruise package or if you find a discounted rate they will add the cruise package for $40. Their main driver Dwayne won the employee of the year award he is so great. Last time we ate at a nice little Italian Restaurant that was in walking distance too.
This time we are doing Beach Club Villas before and Bay Lake Towers the night after.
Liz
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #90
jennileigh
Earning My Ears

Hey Everyone..

Can't wait till September!! This will be my second Disney Cruise - my first was on the Magic almost 13 years ago.

Booked this cruise well over a year ago using DVC points - had them for years first time using them for a cruise..

Me and my Mom are counting down the days till we board.. Glad I found this trend - learned about FE (sad to say I actually had to google it) but now that I know about it we both are interested in participating.. How do we sign up/get information on it?? As being newbies to the whole FE we will need the 411 on it.

Thanks!!!!!

DVC: Saratoga Springs / Animal Kingdom Villas
Cruise: Wonder 9/2000 - Dream 9/2013
Hotels: Aulani, Treehouse Villas, Saratoga Springs, Disneyland Hotel, Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club Villas, Bay Lake, Wilderness Lodge, Beach Club, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Caribbean Beach, All Star Movies, Sports and Music.

Last edited by jennileigh; 05-10-2013 at 11:43 AM.
jennileigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: