Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 08:30 PM   #271
squaggles
Earning My Ears

Sorry you were so sick! My husband's mom got sea sick too on the last night and couldn't really enjoy her dinner. And we were at Royal Palace that night - which in my opinion was the best dinner of the trip! The motion sickness pills from the bin at health services helped her - but she only took one after we started eating. So, it was a little late to enjoy the dinner.

We had such an amazing time! So happy we did the FE exchange. We loved making gifts, and delivering was fun!! And we loved every gift we got too!! Thanks Melissa for heading that up - and Liz too for heading up the second list! You both made it easy. I will definitely be participating in that on our next cruise!
squaggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #272
Luckymomoftwo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
I'm sorry to hear that you were also sick the last night. Yuck.

I had read so much here on the forums about head servers never being present, introducing themselves and not being seen again until tip time, etc. I was very pleasantly surprised that our head server was so nice and friendly. He stopped by our table every single night, and was visible in the immediate vicinity at other times should we have needed him for anything. He brought a team of servers over to sing Happy Birthday to girls at our table and nearby tables more than once. His name was Gonzo from Portugal. Our server was Richie from Jamaica. I love Jamaican accents and he was very knowledgeable and helpful when it came to menu recommendations. Our assistant server was Franko from Indonesia and he was a riot. He gave us brain teaser games every night and spent plenty of time chatting and explaining things to us, from how his contract with DCL works, to magic tricks, and everything in between. We were nearly the last people out of the dining room every night lol. I think that was my favorite part of the cruise...the dinners.

Also, DCL did an terrific job of assigning our tablemates. I was a little apprehensive going in, thinking we might be misfits seated with a family of four. No need to worry though. DD and I were seated with two other moms travelling with their little girls. We were all near the same age, and all three of us moms have older children that are the same age, in addition to our younger ones! I could not have chosen better myself! We got along wonderfully and thoroughly enjoyed each others' company.

Unfortunately, we saved the taking of group photos and exchanging of email addresses until the last night when we were all too sick to do any of that.
That's neat that DCL matched you with such similar families for dinner! Someone once tried to tell me that they try to seat people together who are in the same profession....I couldn't figure out where they came up with that because I don't believe you ever give DCL your professional background. LOL But, that is so sad about not being able to exchange email addresses and get pictures with your table mates!!! We have made some of the best friends we've ever had on DCL cruises....well....they were DVC DCL cruises. We've vacationed together since meeting, and keep in touch via facebook, DISboards, phone, and email. A lot of us get together at least twice a year, and those of us who live closer to each other (a lot of us are within 1-5 hours of each other) we get together more often. They are as far north as Canada, as far South as Texas, as far South East as Florida, as far North East as New York, and as far West as California. So, basically we have Disney friends all over the country and beyond. LOL

On our first couple of DCL cruises (back in 98/99), the lack of presence of the Head Server was one thing we mentioned on our comment card. We were quite upset that we had to pay this person tips when we never even met him or her. For all we knew, it was extra tip money that DCL kept or gave to the servers to split. LOL On one of those first cruises, my husband was picked to participate in a private meeting with DCL CM's for input on what they could improve upon....and that was one thing he mentioned. Ever since then, we've seen the head server every night at dinner. Some of them have been great, some have been just ok. He also said DCL ships (Magic & Wonder at that time) lacked festive lighting (like when other ships are sailing at night and they saw the Disney ships, there wasn't much lighting for them to see). The next time we cruised, they had lights strung from one funnel to the other. Then they took those down and added the cool lights on the DCL logo's on the funnels. So, DH is quite proud of his suggestions! LOL

I wonder if you could write to DCL and ask them to share your contact info with your dinner mates. They have everyone's contact info.... It's a long shot, but who knows, maybe they would do that for you.

Luckymomoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #273
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

We were at Animator's for the Crush show. I had already taken two meclizine pills (the same thing they give out on the ship) as I had every day since before we left home. I took one more at dinner and gave a half to DD. I got in one bite of my soup and one bite of my salad before I had to leave dinner. DD stayed and finished eating lol. She brought her dessert back to the room to show me...a mickey bar with syrup and sprinkles. At the time I was just thinking yuck get it away from me haha!

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #274
Luckymomoftwo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcemom View Post
We were at Animator's for the Crush show. I had already taken two meclizine pills (the same thing they give out on the ship) as I had every day since before we left home. I took one more at dinner and gave a half to DD. I got in one bite of my soup and one bite of my salad before I had to leave dinner. DD stayed and finished eating lol. She brought her dessert back to the room to show me...a mickey bar with syrup and sprinkles. At the time I was just thinking yuck get it away from me haha!
Did you have the early dining? Because we were in Animators for the Crush show the last night, too! But our Head Server was Simone, not Gonzo, and we were at the late dinner. And he actually talked to my sister in law, but sadly I wasn't there for it...darn motion sickness!!

Luckymomoftwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #275
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckymomoftwo View Post
Did you have the early dining? Because we were in Animators for the Crush show the last night, too! But our Head Server was Simone, not Gonzo, and we were at the late dinner. And he actually talked to my sister in law, but sadly I wasn't there for it...darn motion sickness!!
We were also late dining, table # 99.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #276
Jeremysmom
Earning My Ears

I have post cruise blues. I would go again tomorrow. I love it! I think I could live on a cruise ship. Lol
Jeremysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #277
PrincessJasmine21
Earning My Ears

Great Vacation

Great Vacation the weather wasn't to good but we had fun. Need to go back. The Fish extenders where totally awesome.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:21 PM   #278
PrincessJasmine21
Earning My Ears

The last night my Family also got sick. It was pretty bad. But even with all of that. My sister will go back.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: