Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #1216
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

Just catching up! Love the sunny, beach and pool photos!!

Bummer about the rain soaking you all but looks like the rest of your day was amazing!

Disneyland: June '13 - Hojo's.....May '12 - BWPPI..... May ’09 - Hojo’s….Oct ‘07 – Grand Californian….Nov ‘06 – Paradise Pier.…June ’04 – Disneyland Hotel.…June ‘96 Anaheim Hilton…. July ‘95 - Carousel Inn….Aug ’92 – Carousel Inn…July ’90 - Embassy Suites…July ’89 - Anaheim Hilton…May ’88 - Penny Sleeper…May ’87 - Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Old 01-10-2013, 01:10 PM   #1217
jeremysdisneymom
DIS Veteran

I would have never thought of renting a room at one of the resorts. What a great idea! It would have been fun to have lounged on the beach.

That stinks that you got caught in the rain! I hated Nassau. I hated getting back on the boat. Too many panhandlers in the area and the vendors were getting on my nerves.

Did your boys do the tween club any on the ship? Jeremy is at the age where he didn't make the cut but was too old for the oceaneer's club.

Oh, and Royal Palace for breakfast was delicious!!! They have a much better eggs benedict than Cabana's.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #1218
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

Not quite how I expected your day to go, but interesting to see the beach and room there.
Being caught in the rain is no fun either. Sorry it rained you out, but I hope you at least found some yummy lunch back on board.
Aug 22 Fantasy/Western Aug 29 Fantasy/Eastern
TR Feb 2014: Did you feel pressured ... TR 2013: Get off the ship ..... Pre TR 2014: DREAMing, some MAGIC and a little bit of Paris! Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Old 01-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #1219
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wow - It looks like a beautiful day - well, except for the rain. Sorry you didn't stay longer. I'm glad you are happy you decided to do it, but I can see why you wouldn't rush to do it again. It must have been annoying that the kids got board in such a short amount of time.

I am still up in the air as to whether I want to do something similar or not. I mean - the beach looks so pretty. But I don't know. Still up in the air.

Glad you escaped the rain. But poop floating down the sides of the street does NOT sound very appealing.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 01-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #1220
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

I love the pictures of the view from your hotel room. Beautiful!

I live on an Island, and our hotels aren't right on the beach, so it's funny for me to see pools at the beach, basically. (Although enough of us Islanders head to the DR, Mexico or Cuba in the winter that I've seen pictures-I've just never done it because I go to Disney instead). Sad the boys didn't want to go in the ocean.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
Old 01-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #1221
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
sweet a picture of a drink.

rosie, i can tell you that when you go if you want to buy something never take there first price, always wait for a few offers lower.
The first time I ever encountered bartering I was in Yugoslavia !!We hitched a ride to a latger town that had a market, after I asked for a price of something , I walked away and the guy scared the begeesus outta me by following me and bartering We travelled back by a local bus and were asked to sing , guess what we sang ...."Old MacDonald" and the whole bus was joinign in withthe animal noises
I know ONLY Rosie !!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 01-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #1222
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

That hotel has a really pretty view of the ocean! I'm sorry that it didn't go as you wanted it to, but I guess that's the way to find out! Ah Disney is so great, having towels at the ready lol Hopefully the rest of your day was better!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 01-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #1223
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Sorry to hear that your beach day in Nassau did not really work out as intended. I am glad that you have such a relaxed attitude about it. And in some ways maybe it was quite good that nobody was that much into it as the rain would have cut the day short anyway. So this way the disappointment was much less.
Good point about the rain, I hadn't really thought about it that way, in the original thinking we'd have been there 1-2 hours earlier and it's likely the weather would have been better for the visit but who really knows. It wasn't bad, just nothing really special either. I don't feel it was a wasted day, that they necessarily missed anything huge by not being on-board except perhaps more Aquaduck runs lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
To be honest, everything I read about most of those Caribbean ports is not really encouraging. Makes me think that cruising in the Med would be preferrable as it gives you warm weather, but ports that are a bit less "poor".
It definitely varies by port, I think the Eastern is much nicer but having not been to those can't say for sure. I personally found Grand Cayman to be better but still had some of the same issues, same thing with Cozumel. Of those I'm ok never going to GC again but would be ok with Cozumel. I know they've added Jamaica and think it's likely to find a lot of the same issues as Nassau but we will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
I think that is what it is - the older we get, the more people we know, and the more people we know, the more problems there can be. I thought 2012 was bad for illnesses and deaths, and I was hoping 2013 would be better. However, in these first days of the new year, I know of three people who are at different stages of cancer fights. One is the dad of a church friend, and he is in his last days. He lost his son/my friend's brother to cancer about a year and a half ago, too, so this family has really been through some tough days.
I've always striven to be a half full person, there are days like this where it can be a struggle to find that. I am so very sorry about your friends dad, I will be praying for your friend and her family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Pretty!
It really was, absolutely no doubt about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Cruising is definitely a different style of vacation than theme-park touring!
Yes, though you easily eat as much or more. If calories don't count at Disney, do they also not count on a cruise ship?

Quote:
I don't remember seeing that on the brochure.

You're going the wrong way! I have to admit, the traffic pictures threw me for a second.
I forgot about that, it really threw the kids for a loop, their first experience on the wrong side of the road.

Quote:
Being part of the "lying around a pool or beach gets old after a while" crowd, I can understand. But nobody likes whining, either.

Well, you tried it once. Not every experience is a home run, but you won't hit any if you never try.
Well whining is overstating it but they were clearly done. I would have been less annoyed if they'd at least gone to the beach, even if it mean they were asking to rent something to do on the water. I get that it can get old, yet in a Disney resort pool I have never ever ever seen them asking to get out and go somewhere else. I have to drag them out of the pool. I think it came down to 1) no slide. 2) no giant movie to watch while you are in the pool with #2 really being a huge factor. And that irritated me. Kendall on the other hand wanted to be back around kids her age and I do get that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Aww, too bad the day didn't go as well as you had expected. But, at least you got to see part of Nassau, enjoy some time on the beach, in the pool and nap time on your lounger.
All of those things were lovely. I can't really say it didn't go as expected, it in many ways did. I kind of expected it to be a bit of a bummer and fall flat but of course hoped it wouldn't. Oh well. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything magical either.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #1224
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

Hi Cynthia! I am finally caught up from 12/29. sheesh! Happy (late) 2013!

I hope your dad is feeling better now. Sounds very frustrating knowing what the situation and that there's very little they will do for now. And coming from a big family, I completely understand your "having a good day" despite being at the hospital & worrying about your dad. It works that way, doesn't it?

and I am so glad for your nephew getting a dr with a better grasp on his condition and for both of your friends. It does indeed sound like 2013 is starting much better than 2012 was at the end.

Funny, reading your day at Nassua was a bit of deja vu from Mickeystoontown's update (which I am also dreadfully behind on!!!). she also commented on the dirtiness, the banks....and racing in the rain back to the ship! Funny because I definitely only had the advertising pictures of Nassau in my head, and those that my grandparents took in the '70 when things were maybe a bit less jammed with banks & hotels. It never occurred to me that you'd have to actually pay a day rate at a hotel just to use the beach during the day. ugh. Sorry but when I think of day rate hotels, a Nassau beach is NOT what comes to mind!

Your show night on the cruise looks like so much fun - the Disney award show that is. Loved the photos. All in all so far it sounds like a very enjoyable cruise, where everyone got to do what they wanted (mostly), and that's a vacation to me. Plus, dare I say it, no tempers (yet). yay!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #1225
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty3 View Post
Just catching up! Love the sunny, beach and pool photos!!
It really is a nice hotel. Kind of your basic Sheraton but the room was lovely, great little patio that opened right up to the poo and both the pool and beach were quite nice! I think ultimately they'd all been spoiled already by the pools at OKW and Vero, the beach at Vero and the Aquaduck and so lovely as it was, it paled in comparison.

Not to mention the funnel vision, I relaly think that is what the E's were missing as for most of the trip it was clear they preferred pool to beach. Which did make us worried about how Castaway Cay would go...something they'd been looking forward to for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty3 View Post
Bummer about the rain soaking you all but looks like the rest of your day was amazing!
In some ways it was more funny than anything and we were glad we were off the beach when it happened. Just figured we missed staying entirely dry by about 15 minutes but oh well, we'd all have needed to shower before dinner anyway, so it really wasn't that big of a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremysdisneymom View Post
I would have never thought of renting a room at one of the resorts. What a great idea! It would have been fun to have lounged on the beach.
I really do think it's a good option and far less $$ than some of the other "beach" option excursions. I'll be curious to see what you guys did. Honestly, had it been day 1 or 2 of our trip and they hadn't already had such great beach and pool time, I bet they'd have appreciated it more than they did. Spoiled little monsters.

Quote:
That stinks that you got caught in the rain! I hated Nassau. I hated getting back on the boat. Too many panhandlers in the area and the vendors were getting on my nerves.
We'd expected it, warned the kids, have done that kind of dash before so really didn't experience much of the vendors or panhandlers as we raced away from them. In that respect, it could have been a lot worse. I think it actually helped a little that the E's had seen all the rip off jewelry stores in the Alaska ports already so went into that portion a little jaded and weren't trying to get us to stop or look at much.

Quote:
Did your boys do the tween club any on the ship? Jeremy is at the age where he didn't make the cut but was too old for the oceaneer's club.
They went the first night for a bit but as with the Wonder, just didn't get into it. It kind of frustrated me as on both cruises they really didn't reach out and meet other kids to hang with. I guess because they don't have to, they have each other, but in a way it will be nice if we do a cruise and they get split up because of age. They hung with each other and when not fighting (most of the time on the trip) seemed pretty darn content and on the same page with what they wanted to do. Blessing and a curse I guess. Eric was the same as as Jeremy on the Wonder. They did make an exception (he was turning 12 like 1-2 weeks later) but the boys still didn't get into it and go. From what I could see the tween stuff seemed really geared towards the younger range of the age group. And it's a tough age. We had some major things with Evan yesterday and I seriously don't know if I will survive adolescence. It did make me think of you though as my word, Evan's school takes a 180 degree position from what you went through. I support it but wow.

Quote:
Oh, and Royal Palace for breakfast was delicious!!! They have a much better eggs benedict than Cabana's.
I could not get the gang interested in it, which drove me nuts. It would have been the perfect morning for it! Dopes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Not quite how I expected your day to go, but interesting to see the beach and room there.

It really was a lovely beach, great loungers, nice towels and though we didn't get a drink, the pool bar seemed nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Being caught in the rain is no fun either. Sorry it rained you out, but I hope you at least found some yummy lunch back on board.
Getting back when we did, did put us at a bit of an odd time in terms of options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Wow - It looks like a beautiful day - well, except for the rain. Sorry you didn't stay longer. I'm glad you are happy you decided to do it, but I can see why you wouldn't rush to do it again. It must have been annoying that the kids got board in such a short amount of time.
As I mentioned above, I really think had we started the trip with the cruise first, it probably would have gone differently. But multiple days at the pool at OKW and Vero, and the beach at Vero, plus getting to the ship late enough that the E's really hadn't had much pool time (and funnel vision lol) there, I can see how it may have paled in comparison. We've created monsters I think.

Quote:
I am still up in the air as to whether I want to do something similar or not. I mean - the beach looks so pretty. But I don't know. Still up in the air.
It was a pretty beach! There is a lovely free one but I was worried about panhandlers/hawkers and how we'd get back to the ship if we took a cab there. If it were just Jeff and I, I might walk over to the Hilton, see what I thought and if it didn't seem interesting enough take a cab from it to the Sheraton but not commit to anything ahead of time.

Or stay on the ship and have a spa appointment!

Quote:
Glad you escaped the rain. But poop floating down the sides of the street does NOT sound very appealing.
It wasn't really down the street, it was down the cab drop off area, kind of a roundabout, that the horses go into as well. It was pretty rutted. I'm not sure what the main streets were like but oh they were flooded while it was raining, the drainage was just horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
I love the pictures of the view from your hotel room. Beautiful!
It was such a pretty view from that patio. If you stayed there and had that room, it would be a lovely place to hang out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
I live on an Island, and our hotels aren't right on the beach, so it's funny for me to see pools at the beach, basically. (Although enough of us Islanders head to the DR, Mexico or Cuba in the winter that I've seen pictures-I've just never done it because I go to Disney instead). Sad the boys didn't want to go in the ocean.
You don't really see them here too much that close to the ocean either. They might be at the resort but are usually indoor pools. The outdoor ones tend to be in warmer parts of the state or not right next to the ocean like that.

I was sad they didn't want to go in too.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #1226
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Sorry Nassau was a disappointment. But it does seem you got to relax - which is a good thing! I kind of got the "grand tour" from the airport when I was there. I am pretty sure I don't want to tour that island at all should we ever port there. I loved my stay at Atlantis, but trying to treat a whole family to a day there would be cost prohibitive for sure.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #1227
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Can I ask what probably has an obvious answer but being an inexperienced cruiser that I am, I'm missing it? Why did you rent a hotel room for the day? Do they close the ship to clean or something?

Love the actions shots of K. Bummer about the rain but I'm glad you got in a nap and some time to chill.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 01-11-2013, 10:59 PM   #1228
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Did they have their own special fireworks? Were the crowds better there?

So many questions sorry!

Packing is always so sad, I hope you had a great trip and the crowds weren't too bad. From everything I read it's still very crowded which doesn't bode well for next year, I think it will be crowded the entire trip from what I've been reading and where the holidays fall. Oh well, it's still a Disney trip and during the holidays!
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond; yes, DHS had it's own fireworks, and they were great! We really were pleasantly surprised! I did take pictures, I just have to stop procrastinating and get some posted! Anyway, we got to the park at about 11:30 pm, and Mulch, Sweat and Shears was playing in front of the Sorcerer's Hat. We stood on the curb right on Hollywood Blvd, close to the turn for Sunset Blvd. It was a good spot, far enough into the park, but close to the exit! It was very crowded, but not any more so than Epcot was - we had been to WS earlier in the evening.
It was funny, on NY day, we went to WS in the evening and stayed for Illuminations, and I swear, I have never seen that park so empty!! It was really weird, you could have walked up to the guardrail in several countries - it was that empty! I can't explain it, but we actually thought maybe most people had gone home already, until we went to MK on 1/3 There, they had CMs everywhere, directing traffic (which actually helped a lot!).
Basically, just plan for the worst in terms of crowds, and you will be fine! Don't be scared; it's definitely a fun time to go!!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
Old 01-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #1229
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
...So what did I think? Honestly, I'm not sure. If you want to get off the ship, hit a beach and a decent pool, it really is a fine option. Would the kids have been equally bored at the Hilton, which was walkable? Probably, and possibly much more so as it is a much smaller pool. Kendall definitely would have been. Both she and Jeff really enjoyed playing volleyball and I really enjoyed my nap (in a lounger, on the beach, I mean really it doesn't get a lot better at that exact moment in time does it?). I'm glad I got to go in the ocean, even if it wasn't for all that long, it was a lovely little swim. Do I regret doing it? No, all things considered it was a relatively inexpensive outing as far as cruise excursions go, I think probably under $200 including room and cab fare both ways. It did take more time than I'd have liked to get in and settled and the weather did put a bit of a damper on things, had it been nicer or warmer the ocean may have been more tempting to the E's who didn't even go in it (Evan complained off and on over the course of the whole trip that the salt stung his skin). There were beach rentals (aqua trikes, kayaks I think) that looked interesting and could have been fun. I am glad we got off the ship and that the kids saw a different part of the world, some good and some a bit icky. Not horrible but definitely not what they are used to either. Would I do it again? Probably not but I did like getting some beach time and trying it at the public beach made us a little nervous. Not so much the getting there, but the getting back. I would probably push for a catamaran or something if there was a next time but honestly I really think we will look for other itineraries first. I do like getting off the ship, if only for a little bit. Basically it met my expectations, and I think Jeff's. It didn't exceed them but I can't say I was disappointed either. I think the kids were less interested in it, especially the beach part, than we expected and that part surprised and disappointed us a little and left us a little concerned about how Castaway Cay would go.

Port adventure aborted, what’s next?
The nap sounds great, it's a vacation, after all!
As far as Nassau, we've found that the Caribbean islands look a lot prettier from the ship We honestly don't even get off the ship sometimes in the Caribbean, depending on the island and if we haven't booked an excursion. It's just kinda depressing! Plus, enjoying the ship when most people are ashore has its own benefits
And your "cab" pictures bring back memories (I think all the islands have vans, they don't want to take just one family when they can take 2 or 3!!).
Looking forward to your next update!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #1230
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
The first time I ever encountered bartering I was in Yugoslavia !!We hitched a ride to a latger town that had a market, after I asked for a price of something , I walked away and the guy scared the begeesus outta me by following me and bartering We travelled back by a local bus and were asked to sing , guess what we sang ...."Old MacDonald" and the whole bus was joinign in withthe animal noises
I know ONLY Rosie !!!
Oh how funny! Old McDonald, on a bus, in Yugoslavia. Yep, only you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
That hotel has a really pretty view of the ocean! I'm sorry that it didn't go as you wanted it to, but I guess that's the way to find out! Ah Disney is so great, having towels at the ready lol Hopefully the rest of your day was better!
Oh it wasn't bad at all, I was a bit bummed the kids didn't enjoy it more but there wasn't anything bad about it. I do think, had it been the first full day of the trip they'd have appreciated it a lot more. It just paled in comparison to what they'd already done and what they felt was back on the ship.

The towels were wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
Hi Cynthia! I am finally caught up from 12/29. sheesh! Happy (late) 2013!

I hope your dad is feeling better now. Sounds very frustrating knowing what the situation and that there's very little they will do for now. And coming from a big family, I completely understand your "having a good day" despite being at the hospital & worrying about your dad. It works that way, doesn't it?

and I am so glad for your nephew getting a dr with a better grasp on his condition and for both of your friends. It does indeed sound like 2013 is starting much better than 2012 was at the end.
Hi! No worries, the holidays are crazy to be sure, I'm still behind on several TR's.

Overall yes, it's been better on the health front for many of our friends and family. It's been a roller coaster with some very good news, and some sad, Jeff lost a co worker and a close family friend, younger than myself, had a mini stroke 2 days ago but thankfully is expected to make a full recovery. He and his wife (the best friend of one of my sisters) are both severely overweight and have just adopted a little boy so this is especially scary. They had some major challenges passing the home visits etc due to their weight and while I know that the wife has been trying for several years I don't think her DH has. I truly hope that this turns into a positive change for this very dear family and their new special addition.

Quote:
Funny, reading your day at Nassua was a bit of deja vu from Mickeystoontown's update (which I am also dreadfully behind on!!!). she also commented on the dirtiness, the banks....and racing in the rain back to the ship! Funny because I definitely only had the advertising pictures of Nassau in my head, and those that my grandparents took in the '70 when things were maybe a bit less jammed with banks & hotels. It never occurred to me that you'd have to actually pay a day rate at a hotel just to use the beach during the day. ugh. Sorry but when I think of day rate hotels, a Nassau beach is NOT what comes to mind!
Oh my goodness that didn't even occur to me! Too funny. Guess I should have said day pass? You can get both actually, I think just the pool pass is less and the room a bit more but from a changing out of wet things perspective and leaving some stuff locked up, it was great to have it. There are public beaches and some apparently pretty nice. I didn't want to deal with the logistics of getting back from them (didn't appear walkable to the better ones) or potential beach vendors (who drove me NUTS in Jamaica).

Quote:
Your show night on the cruise looks like so much fun - the Disney award show that is. Loved the photos. All in all so far it sounds like a very enjoyable cruise, where everyone got to do what they wanted (mostly), and that's a vacation to me. Plus, dare I say it, no tempers (yet). yay!
No, no tempers yet except for mine on the morning at Vero and Eric/Evan on the paddleboat. I'm trying to think and off the top of my head, no other melt downs come to mind.

Could well be selective memory though

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Sorry Nassau was a disappointment. But it does seem you got to relax - which is a good thing! I kind of got the "grand tour" from the airport when I was there. I am pretty sure I don't want to tour that island at all should we ever port there. I loved my stay at Atlantis, but trying to treat a whole family to a day there would be cost prohibitive for sure.
I did get to relax. Actually that's all I did this entire trip. It truly was the most relaxing family vacation ever, I would do the entire trip again it was that good. The next big family one won't be remotely relaxing but it will be fun.

I'd like to check out Atlantis someday but the prices are definitely a deterrent. Jeff and I were talking about it last night and both still think that given our options, we made the best call for our group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Can I ask what probably has an obvious answer but being an inexperienced cruiser that I am, I'm missing it? Why did you rent a hotel room for the day? Do they close the ship to clean or something?
No, not at all. But the ship doesn't have a beach.

We could have stayed on the ship but wanted to check out the port in some fashion, and for Jeff and I, the beach. The boys tend to prefer the pool and while there were some beach excursions available, they were all quite pricey and this seemed to be a better compromise and more flexible. We could have just bought a pool pass to use the facilities but the package with the room wasn't much more and then made it easy to change and store our stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Love the actions shots of K. Bummer about the rain but I'm glad you got in a nap and some time to chill.
The nap was lovely and I know they had a blast playing volleyball.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: