Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #1096
natebenma
DIS Veteran

I'm back to the sailaway post.

on finding the retainer! I can just imagine everyone's relief!!!

Cute birthday treats, but this is not the first time I have heard the birthday cake on the cruise is not that great (Lisa-Mickeystoontown said the same exact thing)

The different family pictures on the deck at sailaway are great. Love the picture of you and Jeff!!!

What a riot about Jeff taking all of those pictures of Kennedy Space Station! We cruised out of Port Canaveral once and I didn't even think to look for it.

Once again, an interesting start to this part of your trip!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #1097
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Great Christmas pictures and year in review collage. So, how did the boys feel about the picture with Santa? It really is priceless!

O-M-G! I cannot believe what you went through to add on Boardwalk! So much anxiety and manuevering, but in the end it sounds like it all worked out. The flexibility you get by staying at one of the Epcot resorts is so worth it, though! Especially during a crowded time at the World. And having all of the wonderful food options available close by.

I'm glad to hear you are being proactive on the family trip. I especially love to hear that Universal/IoA will be part of the trip. We are trying to figure out if we are going to plan a trip with my dad, brother and niece and nephew this summer.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #1098
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

OMG my head is wimmimg !!Cynthia you are The Queen of Drama !! Sooo glad it all worked out for you!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 12-29-2012, 09:35 PM   #1099
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
I'm back to the sailaway post.

on finding the retainer! I can just imagine everyone's relief!!!

Cute birthday treats, but this is not the first time I have heard the birthday cake on the cruise is not that great (Lisa-Mickeystoontown said the same exact thing)
I knew going in it wouldn't be and with all the food and dessert on board, no one really wanted it anyway so it wasn't upsetting at all. The look on her face, the picture with it on her head, that all was worth the $49 and more.

Quote:
The different family pictures on the deck at sailaway are great. Love the picture of you and Jeff!!!
Thanks! I felt SO grimy at that point, after the getting rained on, ice fiasco, and sprinting to lunch I just wanted a DOTD! LOL!

Quote:
What a riot about Jeff taking all of those pictures of Kennedy Space Station! We cruised out of Port Canaveral once and I didn't even think to look for it.

Once again, an interesting start to this part of your trip!
Not the typical sailaway...but very "us" for sure.

Quote:
Great Christmas pictures and year in review collage. So, how did the boys feel about the picture with Santa? It really is priceless!
Honestly they were super bummed about the pic, or at least Evan was. We see the same Santa every year and he is the BEST! He told them to say "banana" and Evan swears the picture is of him saying "b" starting out the word. Usually he has the biggest grin ever, they just love that Santa. And actually for Eric, master of the wierd cheesy fake smile right now, this wasn't so bad but Evan was bummed. It totally looks like I forced them to be there when in actuality it was their idea (they were pretty adamant about it) and they happily waited over an hour to see him on the 24th.

Quote:
O-M-G! I cannot believe what you went through to add on Boardwalk! So much anxiety and manuevering, but in the end it sounds like it all worked out. The flexibility you get by staying at one of the Epcot resorts is so worth it, though! Especially during a crowded time at the World. And having all of the wonderful food options available close by.
Crazy isn't it? When there is a will there is a way I guess. I am SO excited though, absolutely fell in love with it. It's funny, I'd originally really wanted to buy there and got really hung up on the pink wall. One wall is pink, and a rather deep one at that. So I did the Treehouses for the boys. But once in the room, even though, yes it is that pink it still felt just right for all of us. We will see what the boys think but I figured they got theirs, I got mine and Jeff...well he just loves the Boardwalk area to death, isn't a fan of the BC (Sorry!) and so this is his option. I do think he'd like the villas but he gets really hung up comparing it to the YC which we love so much and can't get past that. They are very different vibes and I think Boardwalk falls somewhere in the middle which is a good place.

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you are being proactive on the family trip. I especially love to hear that Universal/IoA will be part of the trip. We are trying to figure out if we are going to plan a trip with my dad, brother and niece and nephew this summer.
There is no way that US/IoA wouldn't be part of the trip. It is more a question of how many days. I'm having second thoughts about NYE versus maybe over Xmas...and then now am having second thoughts about my second thoughts. Problem with Xmas is though it might be lower crowds at WDW it won't at US/IoA and then I can only swing a 6/2 split versus a 6/3 since yes, I did steal some treehouse points to make the Aulani stay longer. Though I can try to change at 7 months I don't see it happening given the time of year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
OMG my head is wimmimg !!Cynthia you are The Queen of Drama !! Sooo glad it all worked out for you!!
I have a reputation to uphold. Though I'd be glad to give it up, that's for sure. I am very relieved.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #1100
tinacaplan
DIS Veteran

Hooray---I'm all caught up again...just in time to leave and fall behind again.

I love all the pictures of the empty beach.. I miss the beach.

Ice..retainers...travelling isn't easy, is it? But at least you get funny stories out of it!

Mini-golf? On the ship? A-mazing! The Dream really looks...uh...dreamy. Sorry. Had to say it. Seriously, though, I'm loving all the art deco. And the stair case would make me want to walk around in a long gown so I could sashay my skirt everywhere.

Well, now I feel caught up on your impending plans. So that's how Hawaii came about? Well played! I'm not at all surprised that you fell in love with the Boarwalk. It is just such a beautiful area of Disney and there really isn't anything that compares to walking in and out of the parks. But I can't believe how hard it was to get those points added on. Happy for you that you got what you wanted.
AofA - 2012
SSR - 2012
OKW - 2012

Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 AM   #1101
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Wow, what a story about the points! I like it that we are "neighbours" now - I own at BWV as well.

Very excited that you are about to start the cruise portion of the TR now! My cruise is coming close now (less than four months by now) and while it is a different ship anything DCL related is exciting at the moment!!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 12-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #1102
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinacaplan View Post
Hooray---I'm all caught up again...just in time to leave and fall behind again.

I love all the pictures of the empty beach.. I miss the beach.
I really hope you are feeling better! I miss the beach too.

Quote:
Ice..retainers...travelling isn't easy, is it? But at least you get funny stories out of it!
That we do!

Quote:
Mini-golf? On the ship? A-mazing! The Dream really looks...uh...dreamy. Sorry. Had to say it. Seriously, though, I'm loving all the art deco. And the stair case would make me want to walk around in a long gown so I could sashay my skirt everywhere.
It is gorgeous to be sure. Very different from the Wonder in that respect which is the "classic" ocean liner design style. I'm honestly not sure which one I like better. Definitely pro's and cons to both. I really wish I'd taken pictures of the mini golf. I think I assumed we'd be back up there taking pics and while the E's were, I didn't. 4 nights is too short to really explore the ship fully.

Quote:
Well, now I feel caught up on your impending plans. So that's how Hawaii came about? Well played! I'm not at all surprised that you fell in love with the Boarwalk. It is just such a beautiful area of Disney and there really isn't anything that compares to walking in and out of the parks. But I can't believe how hard it was to get those points added on. Happy for you that you got what you wanted.
I've always loved the area and YC is still our favorite resort, hands down. But BWV is a nice hybrid for us. A little "older" than the vibe we feel at the BC/BCV which has so many young ones and a little less pastel. Something about it just felt like home. Honestly so did OKW to me but I'm not worried about being able to book there most of the time, same thing with AKV. They all have pro's and cons but really nothing beats walking to the WS and Epcot. Nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Wow, what a story about the points! I like it that we are "neighbours" now - I own at BWV as well.
Hi Neighbor!

It was quite the adventure to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Very excited that you are about to start the cruise portion of the TR now! My cruise is coming close now (less than four months by now) and while it is a different ship anything DCL related is exciting at the moment!!
Ah yes, your cruise is the one I'd looked at for our spring break I think! I wish we were on it with you (so would the boys if they knew we'd considered it lol). You have Key West on your itinerary correct? I love Key West.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #1103
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Hi there! I have been having a great time catching up on your TR. I haven't been here in a while so I'm trying to catch up on everyone's stuff! I was reading along and then got to the part about your family & friends who are all battling cancer and other health issues. Just know that you and they are in my prayers! Tracy really seemed like such a wonderful person. I do believe I remember her a little from here on the Dis. It is so good that you got to spend such a happy time with her.

It was just found that my mother has Glioblastoma. I was shocked when I read about your Ex and BIL. I am glad to read that your Ex made it past the "median" time that they gave him. I am hoping for this with my mother. We are trying to stay positive and strong. She is only 62. This was a major shock because other than this, she is completely healthy. No other issues. She had her surgery on Nov. 2 to remove the tumor and is now undergoing her chemo/radiation. We are hopeful that when we get to the end of the radiation that the tumor will still be gone! I am so glad that I came across your TR and started to read. I read another of yours a long time ago and enjoyed it. So far I have really gotten much more than I bargained for. But I am glad. I am glad to read about another person who has made it through this awful brain cancer. There aren't many, but there ARE some out there. Many prayers for you, your family and friends. I'm off to finish catching up on your TR.....
Old 12-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #1104
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyed Girl View Post
Hi there! I have been having a great time catching up on your TR. I haven't been here in a while so I'm trying to catch up on everyone's stuff! I was reading along and then got to the part about your family & friends who are all battling cancer and other health issues. Just know that you and they are in my prayers! Tracy really seemed like such a wonderful person. I do believe I remember her a little from here on the Dis. It is so good that you got to spend such a happy time with her.

It was just found that my mother has Glioblastoma. I was shocked when I read about your Ex and BIL. I am glad to read that your Ex made it past the "median" time that they gave him. I am hoping for this with my mother. We are trying to stay positive and strong. She is only 62. This was a major shock because other than this, she is completely healthy. No other issues. She had her surgery on Nov. 2 to remove the tumor and is now undergoing her chemo/radiation. We are hopeful that when we get to the end of the radiation that the tumor will still be gone! I am so glad that I came across your TR and started to read. I read another of yours a long time ago and enjoyed it. So far I have really gotten much more than I bargained for. But I am glad. I am glad to read about another person who has made it through this awful brain cancer. There aren't many, but there ARE some out there. Many prayers for you, your family and friends. I'm off to finish catching up on your TR.....
Oh Blue, I am so sorry! Please feel free to PM me directly. It is actually my ex, the E's dad, (GBMIV multiforme to be specific) and then a family friend (who's wife has been battling breast cancer for 12 years which now appears to have metastasized to her lungs). I am more than happy to share what we did with my ex, I do truly believe in his case that supplements made all the difference in the world. My approach at the time was, what could it hurt? There is such a challenge with the blood/brain barrier and chemo that it was like, why not. I did a ton of research (shocker I know ) and was pretty active in the American Brain Tumor forum boards (though they can be super depressing) and really came up with a program that for whatever reason, worked. He was given 2 years tops with surgery, radiation and chemo. One year without the chemo. He had one surgery, the tumor was fully encapsulated (which is good) followed by radiation. 4 months later it was back. One more surgery, tumor also fully encapsulated but they took a lot more around it out. He refused to do more radiation and didn't do chemo at all but agreed to do the supplements.

He's still around, it's been I guess 15-16 years now? I'd have to do the math. Sadly he's not made good use of the gift he was given and that's it's own long ugly story but he has definitely beat the odds on the cancer itself. Our friends GBM is much different, with multiple tumors, not encapsulated so they couldn't quite get everything. I don't know what level his is at (III-VI)We are really praying that the radiation and chemo do their thing.

No matter what, there is always hope, and odds are just that. It is possible to be in that small percentage that beats it and attitude, faith and support make all the difference in the world. Doctors jobs are to tell you the statistics. That is all they are, numbers. They are not your mom and don't define her or her situation. Never lose sight of that and it will help you all get through it.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #1105
Blueyed Girl
HAKUNA MATATA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Oh Blue, I am so sorry! Please feel free to PM me directly. It is actually my ex, the E's dad, (GBMIV multiforme to be specific) and then a family friend (who's wife has been battling breast cancer for 12 years which now appears to have metastasized to her lungs). I am more than happy to share what we did with my ex, I do truly believe in his case that supplements made all the difference in the world. My approach at the time was, what could it hurt? There is such a challenge with the blood/brain barrier and chemo that it was like, why not. I did a ton of research (shocker I know ) and was pretty active in the American Brain Tumor forum boards (though they can be super depressing) and really came up with a program that for whatever reason, worked. He was given 2 years tops with surgery, radiation and chemo. One year without the chemo. He had one surgery, the tumor was fully encapsulated (which is good) followed by radiation. 4 months later it was back. One more surgery, tumor also fully encapsulated but they took a lot more around it out. He refused to do more radiation and didn't do chemo at all but agreed to do the supplements.

He's still around, it's been I guess 15-16 years now? I'd have to do the math. Sadly he's not made good use of the gift he was given and that's it's own long ugly story but he has definitely beat the odds on the cancer itself. Our friends GBM is much different, with multiple tumors, not encapsulated so they couldn't quite get everything. I don't know what level his is at (III-VI)We are really praying that the radiation and chemo do their thing.

No matter what, there is always hope, and odds are just that. It is possible to be in that small percentage that beats it and attitude, faith and support make all the difference in the world. Doctors jobs are to tell you the statistics. That is all they are, numbers. They are not your mom and don't define her or her situation. Never lose sight of that and it will help you all get through it.
Thank you so much for letting me know all of this. I would love to know more about the supplements. I will PM you shortly! We have been trying to keep her spirits up and remind her that it is "statistics" and numbers and that she can still beat it. She has her up days and down days. Right now she is doing pretty well and I plan to keep that going!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:58 PM   #1106
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

We also own at BoardWalk; we have stayed at other DVC resorts, and while each of them has their own charm and strengths, I always miss BWV when we don't stay here - it just feels like home.

We've visited WDW for NYE many times - we are at BWV right now, until Friday and while it IS obviously crowded, it's definitely worth it! The Epcot Illuminations NYE show is truly special.

Congrats on your purchase!!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
Old 12-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #1107
rndmr2
DIS Veteran

I came over to your TR from yours and MEK's joint report and I have been enjoying reading all about your trip so far. That Vero Beach Resort is really pretty. I got about 2/3 of the way through the links then I just started reading all the posts.

Sorry to hear about all the medical issues with your family, hope your nephew is doing OK.

Your tribute to Tracy was beautiful. I remember her from various TR's and I was so sorry to hear of her passing, you are right, other than her being thinner, you would never know she had been sick from those most recent pictures, but it's so good she had that last trip to the world.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your Trip!

8/1985--Days Inn Sand Lake Rd, 8/1987-- Wilson World, 12/1987-- Contemporary, 8/1989-- Caribbean Beach, 12/1989-- Port Orleans (now POFQ), 7/1990-- Caribbean Beach, 6/1991-- Carribbean Beach (Senior Week!), 8/1992-- Port Orleans (Now POFQ), 9/1995--All Star Music, August 1998-- Dixie Landings -Alligator Bayou (now PO Riverside), 7/1999-- All Star Movies, 11/2004-- Pop Century, 5/2010 POR Magnolia Bend, 5/2011 Saratoga Springs Resort
Old 12-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #1108
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueyed Girl View Post
Thank you so much for letting me know all of this. I would love to know more about the supplements. I will PM you shortly! We have been trying to keep her spirits up and remind her that it is "statistics" and numbers and that she can still beat it. She has her up days and down days. Right now she is doing pretty well and I plan to keep that going!
She can beat it. Numbers are just that. I PM'd you probably more than you want to know. I'll also PM you my regular email

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
We also own at BoardWalk; we have stayed at other DVC resorts, and while each of them has their own charm and strengths, I always miss BWV when we don't stay here - it just feels like home.
Oh that's just how I felt staying there! I loved OKW, really I could move in and live there and for a non park trip it couldn't be better. I adored AKV and the Savanna and while the kids all say it was their favorite, I was on that veranda looking at the animals way more than anyone! But there was something about BWV that really spoke to me, tiny veranda and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
We've visited WDW for NYE many times - we are at BWV right now, until Friday and while it IS obviously crowded, it's definitely worth it! The Epcot Illuminations NYE show is truly special.

Congrats on your purchase!!
Thanks! I am so excited to own there it's crazy! I love the live report, I can't tell you how much better that makes me feel. I've been all of a sudden torn between Xmas and NYE with Xmas maybe being a little less crowded but had kind of had my heart set on NYE. The 3 days of phase 3 closures at MK freaked me out a bit. I can work around it but not so sure about the rest of my family (parents, siblings) I've only got 21 days to decide one way or another! Good to know on Epcot NYE fireworks. You hear so much about MK's, and the crowds, that it makes me wonder what would be best. I am going to be trying for Boardwalk View for our villa but imagine it would be far better seen inside Epcot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rndmr2 View Post
I came over to your TR from yours and MEK's joint report and I have been enjoying reading all about your trip so far. That Vero Beach Resort is really pretty. I got about 2/3 of the way through the links then I just started reading all the posts.
Hi and so happy to have you here!

Quote:
Sorry to hear about all the medical issues with your family, hope your nephew is doing OK.
Thanks, he is ok. Annoying as ever. Right now the plan is meds and a visit every 6 months unless something new develops. Current focus is my dad who has another angiogram tomorrow.

Quote:
Your tribute to Tracy was beautiful. I remember her from various TR's and I was so sorry to hear of her passing, you are right, other than her being thinner, you would never know she had been sick from those most recent pictures, but it's so good she had that last trip to the world.

Can't wait to hear about the rest of your Trip!
Thank you, she really glowed on the trip. Yes she was thin and a bit weaker but truly if you didn't know, you wouldn't. She was so happy and positive it really was infectious. I'm so grateful to have had those last visits.

Lots more trip coming. I may well write an update tomorrow before heading off to the hospital, keep my mind off things.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:52 AM   #1109
PrincePluto
Disneyholic

Happy New Year! Good wishes and prayers for your family's medical issues.

From Freezing to Sweating on a Daily Basis - A December 2013 Trip Report (Finished)

A 2010 Semi-Solo Trip Report (Retrospective) (Finished)

It's Deja Vu All Over Again! Another Unexpected Solo Trip

February 1978 (Fort Wilderness), June 1992 (Off-Site), May 1997 (Off-Site), May 1999 (Off-Site), October 2008 (Off-Site timeshare), November 2009 (Off-Site timeshare), October 2010 (Off-Site timeshare (same one as 2008)), July 2013 (Off-Site timeshare (same one as 2008 and 2010)), December 2013 (Same timeshare as July 2013)

Old 12-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #1110
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

New vacation plans are always exciting! Great to have something to look forward to. Your plan is pretty ambitious...hope you can pull it off!

I have to confess that whenever I start reading about deals on DVC contracts I start losing track of the words and hearing Charlie Brown's teacher in my head. Don't worry, as long as it makes sense to you, that's what's important.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: