Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM   #991
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Sounds like a crazy morning but it looks like once you got your lunch it mellowed. It never fails, no matter how much we plan, theres always a little hitch. The ice story made me cold and I'm sitting next to Guinness right now, with a blanket and in my robe.

Hope the skies cleared and you had good cruise weather.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 12-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #992
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
I came back to see your pictures, secretly hoping I would see a picture of you digging ice out of your cooler with your bare hands.
I'm sure if the kids would have thought of it, they would have. It wasn't a cooler as those aren't allowed, it was an insulated tote bag that I use for groceries. My hand was frozen!

Quote:
That food on your plate looks fantastic. I am convinced, especially after our trip in October, that you and I love the same foods.
I will say the chicken, which doesn't look all that interesting in the picture, was especially good! We are very compatible diners for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Slowly catching up on everyone's threads so I can start my TR this afternoon, hopefully.
And you've started! It's going to be a fun one I know.

Quote:
Well, you made it on time...but barely made lunch. I guess that's 50% good and 50% bad?
All that really mattered at that point was that we made it, and were able to still hit the buffet. The other things were a bummer but I think missing food would have been worse. We could have hit the counter service but having been to it on the Wonder before, it just wasn't the way I wanted to start the trip, at all.

Quote:
I'm sorry...but the ice story had me cracking my ribs because I was laughing so hard. The things are husbands think of...cold beer, must have ice!
Oh my word, it was COLD!

Quote:
The food in Cabanas does look yummy.
I will say right now, as most know, I'm not a buffet person and I found the breakfast buffets on the Wonder to be fairly meh. I was expecting the same for lunch but the E's love it and would have been really bummed to miss it as with the short cruise, good chance of it being our only lunch there. It definitely exceeded my expectations at lunch.

Quote:
Okay, I should be able to stay caught up now...I hope.

Quote:
I know I am interrupting your replies, but who did you rent from. I don't remember. All I know is that Jeff left to go pick it up. Ideally, I'd like to rent from the airport, but I'm flexible.
Ok good thing I checked because I would have said it backwards! I actulaly had multiple ressies booked.

We had Budget from WDW to the Port. We picked up at an Embassy Suites. This was a bit of a mess. Originally we had a car at the airport but with the changes, we didn't need a car for the 1st 2 days and saved quite a bit by dropping the 2 days. Once we did, where to pick up became difficult. The airport was more, or not available at all for a one way rental. The "close" pickups which are all Alamo, were not available at all for one way rentals either. The cost to keep it for the 4 extra days while on the cruise plus pay parking, was nuts. So this is what we ended up with and it was $166 for 4 days, 3 nights. I had read you could call for a pick up and they'd take you to the site. When I called I was told our car wasn't at that location, it was at a different one. Site said it was near to DTD. It wasn't. Jeff took a bus to DTD and then ended up taking a cab to the site. Then they drove him to the site that I'd called the day before to get our car! Car wasn't even ready but he just took it without it being cleaned so we could get out of there faster. They were super nice and helpful to him but that whole process probably took 90 minutes and added the cab fare to the total cost. Still, hundreds cheaper than the alternative. Drop off for this leg was really painless and fast according to Jeff.

When we picked up at the port for the return leg, it was Avis. Which was by FAR the cheapest option for a one day rental, around $52. However, they only had one shuttle, which was hitting more than one cruise line, and we were NOT first off the ship for many reasons (shocker I know ) and just getting to the rental site took at least an hour, I think more. It didn't help that debarkation took forever as well and the kids were all exhausted. I'd have to look at my pictures but getting off the ship took far longer than expected and then the rental car shuttle at least an hour, maybe more. Had we known, we'd have taken a cab to the shuttle and that would have helped a ton. By the time we realized that was a good option, it was on it's way back. We did have a lovely CM keeping us appraised. Once got to the site though, we did get the car incredibly fast. Return, according to Jeff, was easier than the Budget pickup had been. Similar situation, we returned it to a hotel that was supposedly close to DTD. In that case though, they had a Disney shuttle of their own, that took Jeff and K back to AK and then they caught the bus back to AKV.

At both sites though, we were upgraded to full size SUV's. The Avis site was quite a bit further away than the budget site, to the terminal.

So, you get what you pay for.

Time wise I'd say:

Outbound, Budget.
Pickup 90-120 minutes from leaving OKW to pulling into our villa, using Disney bus + cab.
Return 30-45 minutes using their shuttle

Inbound, Avis.
Pickup 60-90 minutes from disembarkation to getting the car, would have been faster and not much $$ to just take a cab there.
Return 90-120 minutes using their shuttle + Disney bus

For us, the Disney bus wasn't an option from Vero. Could have been from the port but at $35pp times 5 versus $52 for a car....it was pretty clear what the best option for us was. Honestly for just 2 people though? I might just do the Disney bus from the resort if those are the end points. There are a ton of tolls so that cost is covered by the bus and it would be easier and faster. I know Denny likes having a car though so that might not work for you guys.

In a perfect world for the outbound we could have picked up at Swan/Dolphin or the Car Care center and it would have been a lot easier but oh well. Needing a car that sat 5 didn't help either. I don't know that return on our inbound leg anywhere else, unless we'd kept it for 2 more days, would have been faster given that we were staying at AKV which isn't close to any of the rental sites. I did look at keeping it for the full rest of the trip but really couldn't justify the extra $150 or so it would have been given what our plans were, we just didn't need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
LOL. The ice story made me laugh.
It was funny! And cold.

Quote:
Uh-oh. The retainer does not sound good.
No, those are words no one ever wants to hear!

Quote:
Give any tips throughout the report you wish to. We are cruisng for the 1st time ever next year on the Dream and I am so nervous. LOL. Not of the cruise but of what to do on the ship and what has to be done.
Are you doing a 3 or 4 night? I think the biggest challenge for anyone on the Dream for the first time is getting your bearings on where stuff is, especially given the short cruise. If you do arrive early, I'd spend some time figuring out where stuff is in relation to your stateroom or it can be confusing at first. Heck, there was stuff we didn't even find until the last day. Do book Palo right away!

Quote:
Nice pics along the way.
Thanks, I felt like I didn't get much but it was a bit crazier than I'd expected so I wasn't on top of it at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
I can just imagine you pulling the ice out and muttering under your breath.
Yes, I can only imagine what I was muttering

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedtothemouse View Post
OH NO! Not the retainer! At least she wears it. I had to threaten my older two because they wouldn't, hopefully DD#3 will wear hers.
Ugh. I didn't wear mine and I can tell you, I will be making Eric wear his when the time comes! I find it very odd she is done with it already.
Register to remove

Old 12-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #993
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
I have to agree with a previous poster (sorry- cant't remember who) who said your adventures sure are entertaining!
Misdaventures! It was funny though, I could see it at the time though it was so cold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
of course I imagine it didn't seem that way while digging ice out in the rain. And to the retainer. Hope you find it!
I was pretty highly annoyed to be sure, and amused at the same time. What a dope was I for letting him talk me into it was more where my line of thought went.

Oh the retainer, talk about the stress level going right back up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Oh no - hope the retainer was found. We are in the process of picking an orthodontist for our boys. I have a feeling we will have a similar situation at some point.
Ugh. Thankfully K is done and Eric won't start till next fall so we have a little bit of a breather. We did the ortho interview last summer and it wasn't fun. I was not thrilled with the whole sales process with iether one of them. Ultimately we chose a different one for Eric than who K&T went through simply becuase it is a less invasive option. Both of them had sales strategies that really didn't sit well with me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Sounds like a crazy morning but it looks like once you got your lunch it mellowed. It never fails, no matter how much we plan, theres always a little hitch. The ice story made me cold and I'm sitting next to Guinness right now, with a blanket and in my robe.
There is always a hitch, or two. The work thing for me was the biggest one and in retrospect I simply should have just said no and it would have to wait. I wasn't the reason things were late to begin with. On the positive side, though it did cut into the trip a bit, I didn't take those hours as vacation so ended up getting some days "back" that I then used to go on our SF weekend. So, things happen for a reason.

The ice was FREEZING! No fun at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Hope the skies cleared and you had good cruise weather.
We were definitely hoping for that too! Cruising in August, well anytime in hurricane season, is risky and was not our first choice to be sure.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #994
brookelizabeth
Jambo Wildbunch Gang

Oh gosh - the fiasco with the bags, in the rain, and then the ice. Ugh! That is something that would EXACTLY happen to us too though.

And just when you thought you could begin to relax since you were on the ship...the retainer was left behind. I hope this story somehow has a happy ending!
Feb 2014 - Vero Beach ... Sept 2013 - CR/Disney Fantasy...March 2013 - AKL/SSR/POR ... Oct 2012 - OKW ... Sept 2012 - Disney Magic ... June 2012 - Disney Magic ... Jan 2012 - PPH/VGC ... Aug 2011 - Pop/YC/OKW ... May 2011 - ASMo ... Feb/March 2011 - BWV/BLT ... Sept 2010 - BWV ... Dec/Jan 2009/10 - AKV ... Sept 2009 - CSR ... Jan 2009 - SSR ... Nov 2008 - WL ... Oct 2006 - AKL
Old 12-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #995
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
Oh gosh - the fiasco with the bags, in the rain, and then the ice. Ugh! That is something that would EXACTLY happen to us too though.
Glad it's not just us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brookelizabeth View Post
And just when you thought you could begin to relax since you were on the ship...the retainer was left behind. I hope this story somehow has a happy ending!
Well we are on vacation and on the ship so no matter what, those were good things but UGH, we both knew that if it was in fact lost, we would get blamed for it by K's mom and those things are not cheap!

It's odd. I carried a case with me to put it in while I ate back in the day when I had one (that I didn't wear and no regret not doing so). But K never carries a purse, or if she does it is just a wristlet, hence the napkin which somehow grosses me out (I think the idea of paper touching it and then it going back inside your mouth) and she always would cover it up so no one could see it there. It was a matter of time if you ask me.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #996
Mickcruiser
Earning My Ears

I've been lurking for a while, and I guess it's time for me to say hi.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #997
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcruiser View Post
Welcome to the Dis !!Check out some more of our threads We don't bite to often
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 12-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #998
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcruiser View Post
Hi and thrilled to have you here, thanks for delurking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Welcome to the Dis !!Check out some more of our threads We don't bite to often
Some of us don't bite at all. And then there is Rosie
Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #999
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Getting on the ship is stressful enough - I would definitely have been talking under my breath the entire time if I had to dump that ice

Who hasn't lost a retainer at some point?? But on vacation, that stinks!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**12/28/14-1/02/15 Key West**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
Old 12-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #1000
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
Getting on the ship is stressful enough - I would definitely have been talking under my breath the entire time if I had to dump that ice
I was definitely muttering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
Who hasn't lost a retainer at some point?? But on vacation, that stinks!
Thankfully Taylor never did, at least not ever "really" lost. But they do seem to go missing often, as did the headgear for both kids. I dread dealing with it for Eric. Thankfully we did choose the ortho for him that is advocating a different approach so no headgear or herbst for him, yay!
Old 12-18-2012, 10:49 AM   #1002
MEK
DIS Veteran

Wow - the whole car thing sounds complicated, but definitely worth it in terms of saving some $. I have only ever rented from the airport, so I'll have to fool around with the sites for the alternate pick up/drop off locations.

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM   #1003
Disney9.9.10
DIS Veteran

Woop! I've already gone and checked out the new link!

Dec 1988 - First Trip! * 1989 * 1990 * 1992 - Polynesian * 1996 - ASMu - Dance Trip for Disney's Magic Music Days * Dec 2002 - DCL Wonder & ASMo * March 2004 * March 2005 - Pop * August 2007 - ASMu * September 2010 - Grand Floridian - Wedding/Honeymoon Trip! * August 2011 - AKL Kidani Village * December 2012 - CSR*November 2014 - AKL Kidani Village for E's First Trip!

Krysten Michael Evelyn and Scarlett Mommy to an Angel

Old 12-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #1004
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Wow - the whole car thing sounds complicated, but definitely worth it in terms of saving some $. I have only ever rented from the airport, so I'll have to fool around with the sites for the alternate pick up/drop off locations.
Well the return and then pick up at Canaveral is what made it complicated. If you are going to hang onto it, it won't be, but I'd really price out all the options. Good news is you are NOT going in peak summer car rental rate times so you might be able to score a deal that just makes it easy to keep the car the whole time and pay for parking. I forget how much parking is, it isn't cheap but might be worth it for you guys. If you can get Alamo for a Disney on site pick up, that will be by far the easiest if you opt to do something other than the airport. I actually wonder though if they do one way rentals to Canaveral because seriously, there was never a car available for that option, either drop off or pick up and I tried multiple combos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney9.9.10 View Post
Woop! I've already gone and checked out the new link!
Yay!
Old 12-19-2012, 12:43 AM   #1005
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Good morning! a quick bat signal to say the joint TR is started for our F&W trip. MEK will be hosting the effort and I'll be chiming in! We'd love to have you stop by!

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting Than You!
Thanks for the link. I'm excited to hear about F&W - it's on my list for an adult only trip some time.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: