Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #1846
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Masters of the Mountain, con't.

Continued from previous
Mandatory broken track pictures

Gotcha!

How did we all do? Well we found each other at the end and went to see.

Eric seemed to survive...barely

I did too

And Evan?

No clue, I missed his red neck shot.

Eric's live verdict went something like this

Oh wait, I think that was his reaction to, let’s go on it again!

Would I get some different or better shots this time?

Up again!

That tree looks pretty far away from here

Yeah, still far

Pretty cool how far you can see

It’s...the blob! I mean, the Yeti

That’s better

After 2 rounds with the Yeti we decided to take a small break, the boys wanted to do a little bit of shopping. Evan was on a mission. The mission for the perfect necklace. I was on a different one; I wanted to get closer to the Tree of Life. I keep trying this every trip and either have ended up in It’s Tough to be a Bug, or haven’t been able to find the trail. We headed that way, peeking in shops as we went looking for that elusive cool necklace.

As we walked, I heard the dreaded words

My feet hurt

Sigh.

Really?

Really.

I looked.

Sure enough…Eric had a blister

I found it odd it hadn't happened until the last full day of the trip. He’d brought 2 pairs of shoes on the trip, tennis shoes and crocs and had worn both. Granted it hadn't been a power walking trip but then again, in my mind a half day at the park that included a lot of sitting on rides really wasn't either. Didn't much matter what I thought, he had a blister on one side and the other side was red and a bit angry as well. Personally, I can’t stand crocs. (sorry in advance anyone!). I think they are ugly and the idea of hot rubber on my feet just sounds like a recipe for sweaty feet…and then blisters as a result. My kids would not own them were it not for my mother in law buying them several years back before they'd even hit Seattle as they were the next cool thing and she thought they'd love them. The E's took to to them for a bit, so far as to actually outgrowing the firs pair and wanting a second. Eric was the last holdout and wore them as beach shoes generally, not liking flip flops all that much and often preferring them to sandals (though as I type this I am realizing he probably needs new sandals for the summer). The good news is we were on Discovery Island and near a first aid station.

I had managed to avoid first aid stations on every trip until this one. First the one at Universal City walk with Kendall and now this. I have to say, I was impressed! They had moleskin! Eric's feet all bandaged up, protected with moleskin and extra supplies in my bag we were in and out of there in maybe 10 minutes and headed back to my Tree of Life mission. Lucky for me the TOL is near all those shops on Discovery Island. Evan could peek and so could I!

Turning in at one spot, we saw this guy

And wondered if he was related to our Vero Friends. Given that the water was different, we didn't think so but then again, we aren't turtle experts by any stretch of the imagination.

This guy sounded fascinating

But proved elusive

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 04-29-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:18 PM   #1847
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Masters of the Mountain, con't

Continued from previous

The Tree!

For some reason, the boys liked this guy and wanted their picture with it.

Hey, there he is mom!

And that’s all we saw. The rest of the tree and trail, as best we could tell was roped and netted off. Foiled again!

Fine, let’s go look for a necklace! Africa, Africa might be the place don’t you think?

I don’t know what it is about Mombasa Marketplace but we always have good luck there!

And look, a boy and his new treasure!

Boy Bling

Several things knocked out on our “to do” list we still had almost an hour and a half before we were scheduled to meet back up with Jeff and Kendall.

What should we do next?
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #1848
FauntleroyFAN07
Commander of Donalds Crew Oh Boy, Oh Boy, Oh Boy

Location: Indiana, but still Bears, Cubs, and Bulls Country...Go Bulls

thats one big fish, i wonder how they taste?

Brand Spanking NEW Art of Animation TR new 11-7

82-01 12 trips w/ parents FW~'06 Sept CBR 8 Nights(HoneyMoon)~'07 Sept AS Sports 9 Nights 1 Year Anv~~'08 6 night Christmas Trip to CSR~~'10 FW 12 nights~~'12 AoA 12 nights
Blessed by the Best
Old 04-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #1849
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Great Updates Cynthia !!!Pix on E.E. are something I will never get cuz I am NOT ever as EVVVVAAAAHHHH!!We are trying FTB again this October , I was not overly imopressed with the ribs there, BUT I loved the Lime dessert!! I have to say Kendals sandwich looked goodI saw someone with it last tiem and thought I wish I had gotten that!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 04-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #1850
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Now that we have I cant see how we had a hard time finding it but..we did.

I really think it is pretty simple to find. Just follow the smell...

Quote:
The verdict? We liked it but I can't say we loved it. Jeff and Evan felt their meat was a little dry. Mine was good but on the charred side (and should have been split with Eric, it was ridiculous).
That's a shame. Hopefully you just caught a bad day. I always love it there, both for the quality of the food and the quantity.

Totally agree with you about the dessert though. I can overlook it for the ribs and chicken.

Quote:
WHEW!
I'm glad it worked out. WOuld have been awful if she had to miss it at that point.

Quote:
Welcome my children to SINGLE RIDER LINE! Yes, your mom rocks for knowing it exists.
Did they actually say that or are you putting words in their mouths?

Quote:
After 2 rounds with the Yeti we decided to take a small break
2 rounds with the Yeti makes for a great afternoon!

Quote:
Personally, I can’t stand crocs. (sorry in advance anyone!).
I can't either... but I do have some Crocs flip flops. They're actually the most comfortable flip flops I've ever had. I wore one pair until there was no tread left on the bottom.

Quote:
They had moleskin! Eric's feet all bandaged up, protected with moleskin and extra supplies in my bag we were in and out of there in maybe 10 minutes and headed back to my Tree of Life mission.
Good call to stop in there. We've only used a Disney first aid station once, but they are definitely great about getting you what you need and sending you off with extras.

Quote:
Several things knocked out on our “to do” list we still had almost an hour and a half before we were scheduled to meet back up with Jeff and Kendall.
Definitely a productive afternoon so far. I'm glad you got to investigate some of the carvings and the shopping trip was a success.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #1851
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

You do Rock!!!

You remembered a picture of Kendall's BC so she could do the tour.

You were able to ride EE twice using the elusive Single Rider line.

You used first Aid and had great success

You found the path around the tree of life and explored as much as you could.

I hope Jeff and Kendall had a great tour.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK
Can't wait to go back
Old 04-29-2013, 07:51 PM   #1852
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Great Tree of Life shots!

I generally dislike Crocs also, I have a pair I got from Costco (cheap) that I use for gardening (I think that's originally what they were intended?) because they're so easy to hose off! My son also preferred Crocs over flip-flops for a long time, now he's OK with flip-flops - plus they pack smaller than Crocs!

We seem to end up at a first-aid station every trip, no matter how broken-in your shoes are, WDW is a LOT of walking! Even the best shoes can rub. But, I like the air-con in there on a hot day!!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**12/28/14-1/02/15 Key West**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
Old 04-29-2013, 10:40 PM   #1853
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
[FONT="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Blue"]

Great picture!

Woo hoo to the single rider line! You got some great pictures.

I'm so glad that Kendall was able to take the tour without her ID. I can't imagine them not letting take the tour for that. Seriously? What kid carries around their license at WDW?

Yeah - lunch just looks kind of "eh" and I think the QS desserts keep getting worse and worse.

Great mega update.

That fish is HUGE!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 04-30-2013, 08:12 AM   #1854
TarzansKat
I may be TarzansKat, but I love Captain Jack!
Wow. It's still getting pretty hot around here

You are a brave woman!

It would take everything I have in me just to go on EE, never mind actually hold my arms up and take pictures. SCARY!

Actually...not so much scary, as motion sickness.

So, here I am, delurking again! Have I commented already? I can't remember. Anyway, I'm loving your trip report! It's a pleasure to read. I can't believe how big the boys are! That photopass picture of them standing next to you, oh my goodness, how they've grown!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #1855
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

I love Crocs and have like a million pairs but some are better than others and have ones i've worn once and then never again because of them rubbing.

Must remember about going to first aid for blister plasters I would never have thought of that.

Glad they accepted K's ID via phone, on our first WDW trip I took a scan of my passport laminated as ID to the Comedy club but they wouldn't fully accept it, they said they'd let me in but I couldn't drink alcohol.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:49 AM   #1856
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Hi Cynthia!

I was so behind but I'm all caught up!

Beautiful pictures at AKL and Yay for the surprise!!

The kids posing in front of Dinosaur....too cute!!

Love the safari pics...especially of the giraffes! They are my favorite!

It's been a while since we've walked the trails at AK. We'll have to make it a priority next time! Great pics!!

Old 04-30-2013, 12:40 PM   #1857
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
For lunch we debated between trying Picnic in the Park, Flame Tree, or Y&Y Local foods. Of those, we had done Y&Y before but as we were considering the sit down for dinner, that didnt seem wise. The picnic sounded good but we were a little unclear as to where to get it and Jeff (and the boys) can always go for some BBQ so Flame Tree it was.
I've always wanted to try Flame Tree, but we always seem to take food in at AK. After your review, I'm not as sorry that I've missed it. But I'd still like to try it.

Quote:
For Eric and I, the half chicken
Each? Oh boy, I hope you're hungry. I know, it's so hard to split -- half a meal doesn't sound like much. It'd be better if you could order 4 (or maybe even 3) meals for 5 people, but we can never all agree on what to get so that idea goes right out the window!

Quote:
As they got to the check in point, I get a text.

Kendall forgot her ID

What?

Oh crap.

I hadn't remembered at ALL either. Even though I had put it in trip it as to not forget, I had. Kendall had just turned 16, the minimum age for the tour and was required to have her ID on her. Oddly enough (because I am paranoid like that) I did have a picture of her BC on my phone and TEXTED it to Jeff in case he needed it, hoping that it would work. It was hard to read.
Whew! Thank goodness for smartphones with dropbox or whatever app you were using. I'm glad they took it, that would've been a huge disappointment.

Quote:
PHOTOPASS!

LOL

I know there've been pictures of the boys all throughout this TR, but for some reason when I looked at this picture I realized how much taller they've gotten since I've been following your TRs.

Quote:
Guess who decided she should try to take pictures on EE?

Me, that's who!

Quote:
Sheesh, those prayer flags have given their all! Time to replace 'em Disney.

Quote:
How did we all do? Well we found each other at the end and went to see.

Eric seemed to survive...barely

He looks scared, but he's got his hands off the lap bar. I'm impressed!

Quote:
I did too

I like the expression of that girl in the front/left of the picture.

Quote:
Sure enough…Eric had a blister

I found it odd it hadn't happened until the last full day of the trip. He’d brought 2 pairs of shoes on the trip, tennis shoes and crocs and had worn both. Granted it hadn't been a power walking trip but then again, in my mind a half day at the park that included a lot of sitting on rides really wasn't either.
Wet shoes from Kali could've contributed.

Quote:
Hey, there he is mom!

Cool! He's a big 'un. I've never seen one of those.

I'm glad that you got to see at least some of the Tree up close.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #1858
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
For lunch we debated between trying Picnic in the Park, Flame Tree, or Y&Y Local foods. Of those, we had done Y&Y before but as we were considering the sit down for dinner, that didnt seem wise. The picnic sounded good but we were a little unclear as to where to get it and Jeff (and the boys) can always go for some BBQ so Flame Tree it was. Problem was, wed never been there. Now that we have I cant see how we had a hard time finding it but..we did.
I've never heard of Picnic in the Park. You learn something everyday on these boards! But I do love me some Flame Tree.

Quote:
The verdict? We liked it but I can't say we loved it.
Wow, that's my favorite CS place. I guess it wasn't their best day.

Quote:
Kendall forgot her ID

Quote:
Oddly enough (because I am paranoid like that) I did have a picture of her BC on my phone and TEXTED it to Jeff in case he needed it, hoping that it would work. It was hard to read.
Now that is world-class Mom work.

Quote:
They had been patient, I will give them that.

Where to?

Well, like any parent intent on torturing their child my first idea was...

PHOTOPASS!

LOL
Torture!

Quote:
It was 1pm. You didn't really think we were going to wait until 3 to ride did you?

Welcome my children to SINGLE RIDER LINE! Yes, your mom rocks for knowing it exists.
I've lost count of the Bonus Mom points earned in this chapter.

Quote:
Oh wait, I think that was his reaction to, let’s go on it again!
Best idea yet!

Quote:
Pretty cool how far you can see

Quote:

What should we do next?
Photopass!
Old 04-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #1859
scottny
You better have crackers
I heard of light reading, never wet reading
I still won't go in the ocean because of

Lost zebra?
LOL. It was way in the back instead of being in the new area.
Nice Komodo Dragon pics. He always hides when we go.
Flame Tree is alright. Not many choices there to choose from.
Nice pics from EE.
Hey! I love my Crocs. LOL. Really your feet do not sweat. I guess because it is ventilated. I only wear them at Disney as they are the only shoes my feet do not hurt from after walking all day.
They are ugly though. LOL
Awww. What a cute turtle.
All caught up again.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #1860
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Flame Tree used to be our favorite AK counter service, but after a few times of tough ribs, we have not been there too much lately. I've found the turkey sandwich and the BBQ sandwich to be good. Totally agree on those desserts. I've tasted some of those that Jill has had when they've been on the dining plan before. I certainly would not pay out of pocket for them!

Those boys are lucky to have a rockin' Disney mom - and not one that is leading them around Animal Kingdom with a map in hand looking lost and overwhelmed.

I am very much a Croc person. I have huge feet - terrible feet - so Crocs give me plenty of room for bones to stick out and toes to wiggle, and they still fit after the swelling starts. Sounds fun, huh? Anyway, for abnormal feet people like me, they are the best.
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: