Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 06:39 PM   #166
cdotla
Trish

Hiya Cynthia! Hoping on board!

Sounds like this trip will be a real treat to read all about...can't wait! Can't believe your vacation countdown stress...I will never complain of pre-vacation stress again!

Hope you end up enjoying OKW as much as we did! And congrats on DVC...I think it was the best "investment" I have made in a long time!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #167
cdotla
Trish

PS - when are you and MEK going to WDW? Any chance you'll be there for Epcot's 30th...wld love to see you!

Anyone else I might know who will be joining you this trip???
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #168
glennbo123
DIS Veteran

I love the bacon story! I swear, Evan reminds me so much of James.

I'm glad you got a room that met all of your requests. Good job, you awesome-planner mom!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #169
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

I'm along for the ride! We love Costco's pre-cooked bacon. What a trooper your son is, eating 12 slices to help clean out the fridge! So cute.
I just learned something from you--you can email MS about room requests?? Then you have the request in writing?? Awesome. Where did you send the email? In the old days, when they mailed out reservation confirmations instead of emailing them, the request was at the bottom. Having it in writing will help, so when they tell me there was no request I will have proof! (Happened recently!).

Upcoming: 12/20/14-12/27/14 WDW
Old 08-19-2012, 10:42 PM   #170
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphie101 View Post
I'm here! That is QUITE the travel day! I feel like you always think you have more time free to get things done..........till all of a sudden you have two hours and NOT enough time at all.

Can't wait to see some more!
so happy you are here

Isn't that the truth? I always think (Ok not always but sometimes) I'm far more on top of it than I really am but the truth is I just don't leave enough room/time for that last day drama that you KNOW will happen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I love that bathroom!! So pretty!! It's so cute!
The whole villa is pretty, I really love the decor at OKW. I know a lot of people aren't happy with the refurb but other than the blinds being really noisy to raise and lower and a bit weird with the veranda doors (as in it could stick at the bottom) I loved the look. I loved the resort! The whole vibe of it.

Quote:
I think that grocery service sounds amazing even with the coffee mishap! How nice of them to correct the mistake!
She was wonderful, I'll be using her in October again.

Quote:
I love your trip packages for the kids! That is so cute!
Thanks! I had fun making them. The boys were pretty excited with their pins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Love OKW and agree that building 55 is fantastic! Impressive service from your grocery delivery service as well.

Jill in CO
I absolutely LOVED our location. Other than not being close to HH I can't think of a thing I'd change. And honestly it was a lovely walk. I couldn't have been happier with the groceries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
I'm very impressed with your supreme awesomeness! And even more impressed that it was recognized by the boys!

I don't know WHAT got into them, especially Evan but I've never been thanked so much in my life. It went on for days. And was actually sincere, not just sucking up. It was pretty nice.

Quote:
I think it's so funny that you were so detailed with your request. I often feel like I want to make such requests, but restrain myself. I'm impressed that you pulled it off! And I love that you can email it. I always feel like a bit of a pain when I have to give a detailed request over the phone.
Over the phone I don't go to that level for sure. When I've tried I get a response like "I have you down for the Millers Road area". Yeah...not the same as building x,y.z. My former TA would get the entire detailed request in there which was nice. Former only b/c we've gone DVC mind you. Most of the time I don't feel I need that level of detail but this time, for 2 nights, that were resort only and our first trip home, it was important. And I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. I'd read about emailing member services so went that route. With email I didn't feel like as much of a pain.

Quote:
By the way - what was the name of the grocery service? I've only ever used GG but it would be nice to have a second option.
I put it up on the F&W FB page

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooksma View Post
As I bow down to your supreme awesomeness,
(sorry, no bowers, just jumpers) let me say how much I love your room.

GREAT JOB!
thank you! I loved my room too!!!!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:03 PM   #171
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Wow, excellent grocery service! excellent update!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:11 AM   #172
MEK
DIS Veteran

Supreme Awesomeness. I hope you bring some of that on our trip. All I requested was "high floors", since I hate to be on the ground floor. And let's hope we get that.

I love the view. It really does look perfect - pool and water combo. Nice. Great spot for lunch and coffee and adult beverages. I do remember running back in that area because I remember the pool, but that's about it.

So, you mean YOU did not do your bus homework? I find that hard to believe.

So nice of that shopper to replace your coffee. I mean, seriously, what were going to do with the whole bean????

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 08-20-2012, 08:33 AM   #173
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Glad you got the location you wanted, I tend to just go with where ever i'm put, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Won't be a problem for me for a while though, very sad as the free dining offer came out in the UK today and I can't book for next year.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #174
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Then he told me he didn’t feel well.

How much bacon did you eat?

About 12 pieces.
I wanted to use it up.
Oh my. Having a bacon phobia would be a fate worse than death for me!

Quote:
So I rebooked, this time Non- HH and sent in the following request.

Buildings 30 or higher to ensure the 2nd access door to the bathroom. Upper floor preferred. Preferred buildings (in order): 62, 63, 64, 45, 46, 55, 56, 37, 43, 44.

Overkill? Probably but hey, you don’t get if you don’t ask. And I did try to ask them in order of priority. LOL!
Walls: off-white, ecru, or vanilla, in that order. Counter-tops freshly dusted, refrigerator set to 47 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quote:
Why yes, yes it was! To all three!!!!!!!!!

I could NOT believe my luck. My supreme awesomeness was confirmed over and over by the E’s. They were pretty funny about it.
Your supreme awesomeness is confirmed!

Quote:
And I have to say that sourdough bread was SOOOOO yummy! Top notch quality as was the fresh deli meat she’d gotten. I’ve had the deli meat and cheese from Garden Grocer and it was definitely the standard thin cut stuff. This was all from target and exactly what I’d asked for. Delicious!
More supreme awesomeness!

Quote:
I took this opportunity to give the kids their trip surprise. Which isn’t so much a surprise anymore, they kind of expect the Souvenir Gods to give them some money but still, it’s fun.
I wish I got a visit from the Souvenir Gods.

Quote:
Did I mention I hadn’t done my bus homework?
Is this the end of supreme awesomeness?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #175
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
uhoh......you not doing bus homework sounds so not like you and a like it might make for some "fun" times ahead.
I think because it was a non park trip I figured I didn't need to look at that too much, so I didn't. Also, originally we were in the Hospitality House area and I assumed that was fairly straightforward and for whatever reason once I made the switch to a different booking, it didn't occur to me to do bus homework.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
I hadn't realized how big OKW is! I'm glad all your planning paid off!
It is big! I was worried about that to be honest, we've loved the smaller deluxes with inside hallways and just wasn't sure how I'd feel about a more traditional time share type condo. It's not as big as SSR, which is one I reason I worry about staying at SSR someday but I imagine once there the size might feel about the same.

The room planning did pay off, I loved our location. Only thing better would have been to be closer to Hospitality House. If it had been up to me we'd have just walked each time as it really wasn't that far and was a lovely walk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Love the dining table on the verandah, how great is that?!
Me too! It was very interesting to be able to compare 3 different DVC verandahs and what was, or wasn't on them. I loved the big table and chairs, it was a perfect first trip meal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Sounds like you're off to a great start!
We definitely felt great at that moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
Rough start there for the day but it seems to have gone your way. The room is really nice. I love the table and chairs outside.
Things definitely started going my way the minute we walked down to DME. Well actually the minute they took our bags at the gate in MN. It is a really pretty room, I love the decor and layout. Loved that verandah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottny View Post
The different flier classifications made me laugh.
Me too. In retrospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
SWEET!!!
What good pixie dust and supreme awesomeness!!
It was ready at 1p.m.??? Never happens to us!
I was SO happy it was ready! Very pleasantly surprised. And honestly, when it was I worried it wouldn't be in the kind of location I wanted but it was! We were prepared for it not to be and to go hang out at the pool but this was such a nicer start to the trip and to be able to have our lunch there. I tell you, I am sticking with NOT doing online check in.

Quote:
Is this a 1BR? I am pretty sure we booked HH so we will have the master BR bathroom entry. But that's okay. I like that the bathroom has places to put stuff!
You got some nice views there!
Yes, it's the 1B. I didn't do a great job on villa pics, I have some more but it's not as complete as I'd have liked. TONS of space to put stuff in the bathroom, that was just in the master and there's a full area in the shower part as well. As long as you don't mind kids going through your room in the middle of the night you will be fine.

Quote:
Who'd you get your groceries from? I'm sure you said back in your PTR, but I'm far to lazy to go back and look! Oh, and what was the coffeemaker in the room like? I might need to get filters.
I posted on the F&W FB page. I do have a picture of the coffee maker coming up. it is a flat bottom filter style one, that was one of the few things I did pack. Flat filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
I love then Pixie dust happens.
me too!!

Quote:
I know the feeling with the room number- You are 99% sure you better and where to go but the CM steers you in a different place. Luckily you caught it and made the adjustment.
Yes, I'd have felt bad though for someone who hadn't done homework as it could have meant a trip back to HH after getting out there and realizing there was no 5523 in building 53. Thankfully it worked out.

Quote:
Grocer and lunch sound perfect.

Off to the pool. I hope you get there pretty easily but I have a feeling there is an adventure there.
Lunch was perfect and we were all ready for the pool!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #176
Misskitty3
DIS Veteran

Love the pictures! Looks so relaxing and tranquil!!

Disneyland: June '13 - Hojo's.....May '12 - BWPPI..... May ’09 - Hojo’s….Oct ‘07 – Grand Californian….Nov ‘06 – Paradise Pier.…June ’04 – Disneyland Hotel.…June ‘96 Anaheim Hilton…. July ‘95 - Carousel Inn….Aug ’92 – Carousel Inn…July ’90 - Embassy Suites…July ’89 - Anaheim Hilton…May ’88 - Penny Sleeper…May ’87 - Penny Sleeper…April ’77 (?)…June ’76 - Disneyland Hotel….June ‘73 First trip ever to Disneyland!!!

WDW: July ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center.…April ’94 - Marriott Orlando World Center….July ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center….April ’86 - Marriott Orlando World Center
Old 08-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #177
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
In awe of your supreme awesomeness! I don't think I had an opportunity to comment on the previous installment on your travel day. I think it safe to say you accomplished more in a day than I do in a week!
I make up for it with days where I do absolutely nothing.

Quote:
Looks like you got a great room location at OKW. Hanging my head in shame as an uninformed DVC owner but who do you email about your room request? Member services?
Yes, I just use the form on the member website with the request and then you'll get a confirmation or you can email them directly at members@disneyvacationclub.com

Either way you'll get a auto response and then a response that shows they've added it but with they "while they will make every effort to grant your request there are no guarantees".

Quote:
And could you remind me who you used for the grocery shopping? I know you mentioned it in the PTR and I had heard of the business but can't remember it right now. I have used and like Garden Grocer but the idea of being able to get more specific/directive is appealing...
I put it up on the FB F&W page. It's called Personal Disney Shopper but there are a few services out there with similar names and some drama between them so easier to post her FB page link lol.

Quote:
Uh oh on the bus homework. Is that foreshadowing? I think the buses at OKW get a lot of negative buzz but I have to say that when we stayed there in ~2006 I had zero issues... but we may have just been plain lucky. We were blissfully unaware and made no requests but had a building adjacent to a quiet pool and very near a bus stop.

Looking forward to more!!
I don't think they are bad, once you understand how they work. it certainly would not keep me from staying there again. Jeff whined a bit which was really surprising but I think had we actually been in park mode he'd have been more tolerant. I was silly with the requests but really didn't want a golf course view and there is a LOT of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotla View Post
Hiya Cynthia! Hoping on board!

Sounds like this trip will be a real treat to read all about...can't wait! Can't believe your vacation countdown stress...I will never complain of pre-vacation stress again!
Trish! So happy to have you here!

I think you have me beat on during vacation stress, by a landslide so heavens knows you should at least get pre-vacation to be relatively stress free!

Quote:
Hope you end up enjoying OKW as much as we did! And congrats on DVC...I think it was the best "investment" I have made in a long time!
VERY pleased with the purchase!

Quote:
PS - when are you and MEK going to WDW? Any chance you'll be there for Epcot's 30th...wld love to see you!

Anyone else I might know who will be joining you this trip???
I would so love to hook up! Our dates are later though, not until the 16th. There is a fairly large group of folks going between the 10th-27th. What are your dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I love the bacon story! I swear, Evan reminds me so much of James.
I wish our trips had overlapped, all the kids would have hit it off. nice to know Evan isn't the only child who might think that was a grand idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
I'm glad you got a room that met all of your requests. Good job, you awesome-planner mom!
Or crazy person, you decide which. And a lot of luck if you ask me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
I'm along for the ride! We love Costco's pre-cooked bacon. What a trooper your son is, eating 12 slices to help clean out the fridge! So cute.
Yes, all in the name of the cause. What a guy. Except now we are out of bacon. It is good stuff.

so happy to have you along for the ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
I just learned something from you--you can email MS about room requests?? Then you have the request in writing?? Awesome. Where did you send the email? In the old days, when they mailed out reservation confirmations instead of emailing them, the request was at the bottom. Having it in writing will help, so when they tell me there was no request I will have proof! (Happened recently!).
Yes, you can! It was a tip I picked up off of the Vero beach thread for exactly that reason. It really paid off for us. I have noticed that if you look at your reservation through the main WDW site, not the Members site, that sometimes the notes in the ressie show up. Kind of odd but also nice to see. It's not consistent though. Big bummer that they lost your request. I actually note what day I sent it in and what day they confirmed back via email so I have it, and save the email. Not that it would make much difference if there isn't a room available that met the request but it makes me feel better if they ask. I will say at every check in where I did have a request on my reservation, it has never been mentioned by the CM so I've had to wait to see the actual room to see if it was met or not.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:07 PM   #178
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Wow, excellent grocery service! excellent update!
It truly was fabulous customer service, couldn't have been happier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Supreme Awesomeness. I hope you bring some of that on our trip. All I requested was "high floors", since I hate to be on the ground floor. And let's hope we get that.
I think we have a good chance at it. And hey, if we do, I'm happy to take credit. LOL! General rule I always thought was the simpler the request, the better your chances are. This was obviously not simple so I was pretty shocked to have every time on the request met.

Quote:
I love the view. It really does look perfect - pool and water combo. Nice. Great spot for lunch and coffee and adult beverages. I do remember running back in that area because I remember the pool, but that's about it.
It was SO pretty and yet private. We could see just enough and still really feel like we had a lot of privacy. So much better than golf course, for us at least. I couldn't have been happier and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Quote:
So, you mean YOU did not do your bus homework? I find that hard to believe.
My family couldn't believe it either.

Quote:
So nice of that shopper to replace your coffee. I mean, seriously, what were going to do with the whole bean????
Take it home and grind it. We are just finishing it up. It was like bonus groceries upon return, saved me a trip to the store as we ran out of our regular stuff a few days after we got back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Glad you got the location you wanted, I tend to just go with where ever i'm put, sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. Won't be a problem for me for a while though, very sad as the free dining offer came out in the UK today and I can't book for next year.
I did the "go with the flow" for one of our reservations, you'll have to see how that turned out in comparison. Sometimes I really care and sometimes I know I'd be happy with anything. Really depends on the resort and the booking category.

You are saving for something VERY cool though so it is worth taking a year off, hard as that must be. I'm a bit freaked out as after my F&W trip, it will probably be 18 months. Maybe longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Oh my. Having a bacon phobia would be a fate worse than death for me!
For Evan too. Interestingly he did go from

I'm never eating bacon again

to

I'm not eating any bacon this trip

to

I think I'm going to try some bacon.

However, I do not think he'll try to eat 12 pieces of bacon again any time soon. 12 pieces of something else? Most certainly.

Quote:
Walls: off-white, ecru, or vanilla, in that order. Counter-tops freshly dusted, refrigerator set to 47 degrees Fahrenheit.

Now now, you shouldn't have to request what is a basic expectation. That's like saying I should have to remind my children to put away their laundry, put items in the dishwasher or feed the cats. I mean really.

Quote:
Your supreme awesomeness is confirmed!

More supreme awesomeness!
I knew it wouldn't last however I am doing my best to ensure the phrase, and it's association with me specifically, stays alive in the household.

Quote:
I wish I got a visit from the Souvenir Gods.
Me too.

Quote:
Is this the end of supreme awesomeness?
Remains to be seen. Often my supreme awesomeness only extends as far as things that are fun to research, plan and book. Bus schedules and the like? Not so much fun. Slips through the cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty3 View Post
Love the pictures! Looks so relaxing and tranquil!!
It was, I adored that verandah, very very peaceful. At least at that moment. The pool noises nearby were happy sounds, and relatively muted.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #179
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Love, love, love your villa! Great location and views. Having your specific requests, down to building numbers is actually very helpful to the room assigners. That way they know what is important to you. You gave them lots of options.

Great, new, pretrip stories. Mmmmm. Bacon!

As a mom who has to struggle to get my family to participate in photos, I love that mom from the plane, too!

I'm impressed with the grocery service- sounds like you were able to put in some very specific requests.

Definitely Supreme Awesomeness!
Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #180
cdotla
Trish

Darn! I leave on Oct. 2nd, so I will miss you by a week. One of these trips I will have to plan better to be able to be down there with you, MEK and Christine!

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: