Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #1532
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

We thought the food at the BBQ was pretty dang good too!

You were ROBBED of a drink at Serenity Bay. That's a big bummer! (I sound like I'm in the 80s, don't I!)

Glad that all the kids were having fun and found stuff to do so you could explore the adult section.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #1533
disneydancer86
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
First of all and thanks for delurking!

It's funny, I'd been on a couple of other lines before our first Disney cruise and ships really have evolved. I did a carnival cruise with an oceanview (tiniest porthole ever) many many years ago and that really was claustrophobic, big time, couldn't stand it and swore I'd never do a room like that again. I didn't find our stateroom either time to be claustrophobic but I think the verandah does make a huge difference in that. To compare it to a resort, the family ocean view stateroom with verandah is 299 sqaure feet, a room at POP is 260, POR 314. The regular verandah room is 246. Unlike a resort room though, the 2nd bed isn't "out" so that helps a lot and I will say the rooms on the Dream felt bigger just due to better layout and storage options than on the Wonder but they are actually quite similar in size. The standard inside stateroom, at 184 though, that feels really claustrophobic to me, I don't think I could do it.

The vast majority of the public spaces outside the rooms are quite large. But I'd hate to take a risk if it's an issue. Hallways are narrow.

I don't believe walking works all that well at 7 months as owners have the advantage for the 5 months prior. 2 villas is a challenge you'd have to call MS and ask about availability starting early to even get a feel for what might be available. You can check online of course but it won't tell you if availability is 1 or 2. What time of year and size of villa are you trying to book for? That will definitely impact your chances. You can also leverage folks here to check for you if those are their home resorts.
If I were to cruise, I would likely have to have a verandah just to get some air if I am not feeling well. I can imagine there is enough to do where I wouldn't have to spend a large amount of time in my room. I doubt the rest of the ship would bother me, I was just worried about the room. Thanks for the information about the room sizes it definitely puts things in perspective.

We will be traveling with 10 people in early early June 2014, so we decided to do a Deluxe Studio and a 2-bedroom villa. This gives us some flexibility (and ability to get away from one another if needed ) in where we can stay. We considered booking a grand villa, but we didn't really want to stay at OKW or AKL. From what I have heard, it is a good idea to book 11 months out at our home resort and then try to change our reservation at the 7 month mark. We loved AKL this past New Years, but if we stayed again we would stay in Jambo House...we had a 2-bedroom villa at the END of the hallway in Kidani and it was a lot of walking after...well...a full day of walking.

Polynesian '88, '89, '90, Fort Wilderness '98, Walt Disney Hilton '09, Coronado Springs '10, Wilderness Lodge '11, All Star-Music Dance the World '12, Animal Kingdom Lodge '12-13, Pop Century '13

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url
Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 PM   #1534
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
Ah, you managed to capture pictures of what Heaven must look like.

Jill in CO
What I wouldn't give to be there right now! That is the only negative thing about the southern itinerary...no Castaway Cay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2xcited2sleep View Post
SERENITY NOW!

Thank you for posting those pictures. While I am very interested in the idea of a cruise, I have to say that the crowded photos of the pools on board and the family beach at Castaway Cay made me wonder if I'd really like it.
I'd be curious to see if the adult pool is as crowded on the classic ships, or on the new ones, if it was an off season cruise while kids were in school. I would think it would be quite a bit better then. Jeff and I will hopefully find out but that's a good 18 months away.

Quote:
It looks like you had Serenity Bay all to yourselves!!! Although totally agree it is WRONG to close the bar at 3 with 90 min to all aboard. A girl could do some good drinking in those 90 min.
It felt like we had it all to ourselves! There was literally maybe 10 people there and we kept wondering where the heck everyone was. Granted, it was a summer cruise so maybe less adult only passengers? Or we were one of the few willing to just ditch our kids and hope they didn't drown (just kidding!). I was actually glad we'd been able to "test" their ocean swimming at Vero to feel ok about them leaving, especially with all the lifeguards everywhere. I can't imagine that there weren't plenty of families with older kids that could have been left but who knows. I know this, no way were we getting back on the ship until we had to.

Quote:
Looks like the kids had a great time with their various activities and the buffet looks pretty good - and this is from a non-buffet lover.
I am so not a buffet person, it definitely exceeded my expectations. Which, granted, weren't terribly high.

Quote:
Definitely mulling over the idea of a cruise. Maybe someday. Might be fun for a group/girls trip...
It would be very fun for a girls trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floss bolna View Post
Ah - Castaway Cay!! Not so long anymore until I can explore there, so your update was a very welcome reminder of my upcoming vacation!
So very very lovely, it really is a slice of heaven.

Quote:
The snorkel lagoon looks rather crowded, not sure I will want to try that. I don't know why, but I expected it to be more spacious...
It actually is quite large, there were just lots of people.

Quote:
However Serenity Bay seems deserted!! Do you think that this was due to it being later in the day? Or was the ship just more full of families? Our cruise had a "Kids sail free" promotion going on, so I am expecting lots of families, maybe more than would be usual for non-vacation time. If that causes us to have such a wonderful nearly empty adult beach, that would be wonderful!!
It was odd that it was so empty to us. Maybe it was because they knew the bar was closed The ship was quite full of families and perhaps those with first dinner seating were headed in already, I'm not sure.

Quote:
And I will make sure to go and hunt for drinks before 3pm!!!
There were drinks available at the other locations before we headed over there, it just never occurred to us that there wouldn't be any there once we arrived. If we'd have gotten them before we hit the water I think we'd have been ok but it just didn't cross our minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Just got back from Mexico last night- I have lots of catching up to do around here!
I thought of you on national Margarita Day!

Quote:

You guys are scaring me!!!

I finally figured out that they changed the resizing on the old version. I think you have to import at the size you want and I haven't figured out how to make a change once you have added the picture.
I think, and need to email them to confirm, that what is happening to me is that because I have pro even if I set a default size for the upload, it retains the original photo meta data. Then when I edit or crop, it goes back to the original size as it's baseline somehow.

Quote:
I have also avoided switching to the new version. I have a pro account, too, and lots of pictures stored, both mine and the ones for the Yacht & Beach Club FAQ. I could be in big trouble!

I'll worry about that another day- or about 25 days!
25? Yeah milk it as long as you can BUT don't try to edit a thing or it will force you over. No editor in the old version anymore and now, once you are over, you can't go back.

Quote:
Now on to happier things...

What a great Castaway Cay day, starting with the view from your verandah! WOW!!!

Great looking beaches. Love the Disney sand shovel!!! My boys (well mostly Ben) still dig digging at the beach. Nate and his friends will still dig if they have big shovels and can make big holes.
It was a great day! Evan will dig in a big group too, the can spend hours at the lake making giant holes and filling them with water.

Quote:
I'm so happy to hear the boys loved the snorkeling. One of my favorite things to do.

Lunch looks super! Nothing like sand and sun and sea to make you hungry.

Love that Serenity Bay was so uncrowded. Don't love that the bar was closed!
They LOVED the snorkling, neither had ever seen anything like it and were just in awe. It was very cool. Lunch was really good, surprisingly so.

Seriously. The ADULT bar closes earliest? What are they thinking???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
The food looks good.
I continue to be amazed at the size of the ship!
Glad you found that peaceful beach to just hang out and talk. What a nice memory!
The ship is huge. I've seen a picture of a classic ship next to the newer ones and wow, it's a substantial difference.

We had a lovely day
Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #1535
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
A bar that closes at 3pm? That just seems wrong, but I get the idea of needing to get everything back on board. I will have to remember that last call is 3pm!
Last call at Castaway Air. There were others open later, but not a lot later!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Glad you made it over to the adult beach. It really does look so relaxing and I will totally be there next October!

I am also glad to hear that lunch was good! I have only heard good things about it.

Nice pics!
You will LOVE Serenity Bay! Lunch was lovely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
All caught up! What a treat to spend some time with you at Castaway Cay while I watch the snow come down outside.
Something about the contrast on a day like that can be a fun little escape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
We thought the food at the BBQ was pretty dang good too!
I was pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
You were ROBBED of a drink at Serenity Bay. That's a big bummer! (I sound like I'm in the 80s, don't I!)

Glad that all the kids were having fun and found stuff to do so you could explore the adult section.
ROBBED I tell you! I'm in the 80's with you. Total bummer man! Like, totally!

I was glad we could check it out, I really wasn't sure if it would work out to leave them or not and am glad it did if only for a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydancer86 View Post
If I were to cruise, I would likely have to have a verandah just to get some air if I am not feeling well. I can imagine there is enough to do where I wouldn't have to spend a large amount of time in my room. I doubt the rest of the ship would bother me, I was just worried about the room. Thanks for the information about the room sizes it definitely puts things in perspective.
I do think the verandah can make a huge difference but can definitely understand your concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydancer86 View Post
We will be traveling with 10 people in early early June 2014, so we decided to do a Deluxe Studio and a 2-bedroom villa. This gives us some flexibility (and ability to get away from one another if needed ) in where we can stay. We considered booking a grand villa, but we didn't really want to stay at OKW or AKL. From what I have heard, it is a good idea to book 11 months out at our home resort and then try to change our reservation at the 7 month mark. We loved AKL this past New Years, but if we stayed again we would stay in Jambo House...we had a 2-bedroom villa at the END of the hallway in Kidani and it was a lot of walking after...well...a full day of walking.
Jambo can have some long hallways too, though not as long as Kidani from what I understand. The reality is, as nice as a grand villa would be, you get a lot more flexiblity in privacy and sleeping arrangements with 2 villas. We looked at it too but as OKW is the only one we'd have had close to enough points for and is not where we own, combined iwth the fact that adult couples don't want to share a room if they don't have to, we discarded the idea.

I think the 11 month out really depends on where you want to stay, whether you need to do it or not. I'd probably check your dates for June 2013 to get an idea of how sold out things are, or not. The benefit to getting 2 at 11 months out is then you know you have something no matter what. Moving 2 is harder than just 1 fore sure. Drawback is if the new reservation, if you can move both, is that if they use less points sometimes that can be an issue. So if you first booking uses less than the new then I think it can work pretty well. You have a backup plan but aren't at risk if your UY and the reservation dates make it complicated.
Old 02-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #1536
CarolynK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...Seriously. The ADULT bar closes earliest? What are they thinking??? ...
This would have ticked me off! 90 minutes before you have to be back on board?! All the more reason to make sure you bring your own

It sounds like you all had a great beach day, and there was something for everyone!!

Upcoming: 12/21/14-12/28/14 WDW**2/27/15-3/3/15 WDW
Old 02-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #1537
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
This would have ticked me off! 90 minutes before you have to be back on board?! All the more reason to make sure you bring your own
We were shocked to be honest. The frustrating part for me was there really wasn't anything I could bring for me. Wine would have gotten too warm and is not what I want on a beach day. I can't do soda anymore so pretty much was tied to something made there. What I should have done, and it has just now occured to me, was just add some of that rum to soft serve vanilla ice cream in a cup and made myself a little shake.

Oh well, hopefully some day we will be back and I'll know better. That's what I get for waiting until late afternoon for the first drink of the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
It sounds like you all had a great beach day, and there was something for everyone!!
It was, yet another, perfect day! Couldn't have been better for everyone. Well other than not losing 30 minutes trying to take the darn tram to Serenity bay and getting on the wrong one. Had we just walked to start with, we'd have hit the bar before it closed. That was truly the only bummer of the day (that and the bar being closed of course).
Old 02-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #1538
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I thought of you on national Margarita Day!
I appreciate that!

Coincidentally, we were here on Feb 22, at the Cancun airport:

However, I am embarassed to admit that although:

It was 10 in the morning, on a 12 plus hour travel day, after a whopping 3 or 4 hours of sleep, so I didn't think honoring this important holiday in the way it is intended to be celebrated was such a good idea.

Oh, yeah, and tickets for this years Buffett show went on sale Friday morning, while we were in transit, so I missed out on those!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #1539
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
I must have been hungry. I didn't actually take any pictures of the buffet area itself!
This happens to us all the time. Hunger overrules photo documentation.

Quote:
Jeff took a very different approach to the offerings. Yes, why have fish when you can have a burger AND a dog. And cookies! LOL!
I'd go with Jeff here on the menu choices. Try and act surprised.

Quote:
Lunch was GOOD! It very much exceeded my expectations. Fish, at a buffet can often be dry and both at Cabanas lunch and now, Cookies too, it was very tasty. I can't speak for the others and well to me, a burger (and a dog) is just that but they all ate it happily enough.
Sitting on a tropical beach makes most things taste better, right?

Quote:
Ok actually that looks like Eric is going thumbs down but since he did that the entire trip, first a down and then an up with a cheesy grin, we knew better. Still it was annoying, he thought it was hysterical but I didn't. Boy who cried wolf and all.

But you know what that means dont you? It's the adult all clear!

Now that DOES get a thumbs-up!

Quote:
Now a funny thing happened here. We planned to take the tram out to Serenity bay but got on the wrong one, rode around in a loop and got back off. DOH. Then we waited. And waited. And said. Forget it, lets walk! We wasted at least 30 minutes on this misadventure.

Well, hopefully that won't hurt you. It's not like they'll close the bar early or anything.

Quote:
Not really. There is a fascinating backstory to the airstrip and well, not very Disney like to be sure. Disney has a more wholesome version.
It is pretty fascinating, though.

Quote:
Yes, it is called Serenity Bay for a reason!
Wow, completely deserted!

Quote:
Sorry, we're closed.

WHAT?

It was about 3 pm. All aboard wasn't until 4:30!

Robbed. Robbed I tell you. Completely, utterly robbed. We were NOT happy. We may have begged. It didn't work.
NOOOOOO!!!!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM   #1540
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I need that clock for my office.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:31 PM   #1541
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Yes, why have fish when you can have a burger AND a dog. And cookies! LOL!
Well, it is hard to argue with that logic...

Quote:
And notice the mug...evidence that we definitely packed "something" for Jeff to drink. I'm still sticking with the rum idea and that he added coke from the drink station as logistically a beer sounds like way too much effort for us to have kept cold.
I don't think there's even any question. You have to have rum if you're enjoying the beach. I think that might be a law.

Quote:
I do recall chastising him for the 2 bags of chips.
But it is vacation! And the food is included in the price of the cruise so you might as well get your money's worth out of it.

Quote:
And said. Forget it, lets walk! We wasted at least 30 minutes on this misadventure.
Well, I can't see how this 30 minutes could possibly come back to haunt you...

Quote:
Sorry, were closed.

WHAT?

It was about 3 pm. All aboard wasn't until 4:30!

Robbed. Robbed I tell you. Completely, utterly robbed. We were NOT happy. We may have begged. It didn't work.

The CM/bartender told us they closed at 3 as they needed the time to get everything back to the ship but that some of the other locations would be open until 4. Hmmph. Party foul.
Ok, that is odd. I don't understand why they'd close it so early. It doesn't seem right.

Definitely not cool.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #1542
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
I appreciate that!

Coincidentally, we were here on Feb 22, at the Cancun airport:

However, I am embarassed to admit that although:

It was 10 in the morning, on a 12 plus hour travel day, after a whopping 3 or 4 hours of sleep, so I didn't think honoring this important holiday in the way it is intended to be celebrated was such a good idea.

I'd have been forced to admit the same. On the first day of vacation I could "force" myself to have a bloody mary or a mimosa at 10 am (neither of which are remotely buffet like...the whole tequila sunrise thing is ick to me) but not on the way home. I can't believe there is one at the airport! Jeff would LOVE that!

Quote:
Oh, yeah, and tickets for this years Buffett show went on sale Friday morning, while we were in transit, so I missed out on those!
Were they pricey again? We looked at it last year and it was over the top we thought price wise, wah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
This happens to us all the time. Hunger overrules photo documentation.
Yeah, I'll remember by the time I go to eat but the before shots of buffets in particular, I never seem to get.

Quote:
T
I'd go with Jeff here on the menu choices. Try and act surprised.
I am shocked to hear that

However, Jeff will eat a turkey burger, a chicken burger or even...GASP, a veggie one.

Quote:
T

Sitting on a tropical beach makes most things taste better, right?
Absolutely!

Quote:
T
Well, hopefully that won't hurt you. It's not like they'll close the bar early or anything.
that part really was a bummer...as was the wasted time. Guess we have to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I need that clock for my office.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #1543
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Well, it is hard to argue with that logic...
Jeff apparently thought so, and Evan took a hint with the double cookies and chips

Quote:
I don't think there's even any question. You have to have rum if you're enjoying the beach. I think that might be a law.
Pirate law. Most definitely!

Quote:
But it is vacation! And the food is included in the price of the cruise so you might as well get your money's worth out of it.
As long as they get eaten....

Quote:
Well, I can't see how this 30 minutes could possibly come back to haunt you...

Ok, that is odd. I don't understand why they'd close it so early. It doesn't seem right.

Definitely not cool.
tres uncool and a total bummer at that
Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #1544
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Were they pricey again? We looked at it last year and it was over the top we thought price wise, wah.
I would imagine so! I didn't even check because I assumed the show sold out quickly. And the regular prices are high enough, no way am I gonna get tickets from a scalping company. Oh, and DH won't "do" lawn seats.

I can purchase a LOT of margaritas for the cost of a couple of tickets to a show.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 AM   #1545
dizneeat
DIS Veteran

And I am caught up again! Not that I was just a little behind, but about 8 pages!
Hope you can forgive me, but I had a little travelling to do.

Quote:
Quick update with some breaking news.

It's a bit of a long shot that we can pull this off but I moved our 2014 dummy cruise booking to one we really hope we can do. There are a lot of moving pieces that may or may not allow this to work out but I'm sure hoping it does!

We are currently booked on a ....

9-Night Mediterranean Cruise on Disney Magic!

Departs from: Venice, Italy

Ports of Call:
Katakolon, Greece
Piraeus (Athens), Greece
Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey
Rhodes, Greece (Greek Isles)
Mykonos, Greece
Venice, Italy

It could be 4 of us, or possibly just 2! Moving pieces are $$ (of course), other vacation plans (hoping for an adult only Australia trip but I think that's more likely for 2015) and kids schedules. Time will tell but we may well be celebrating a big birthday for Jeff in Greece!
Cynthia, I think we are on the next cruise out of Venice - the 12 night that goes from Venice to Barcelona.
If so, then we have to have a drink together in Venice. We will fly in about two or three days early, so this could work out well.

Okay, I love the updates. Your CC day sounds like a lot of fun , even thought the family beach looks terribly crowded.
SB on the other hand is empty nearly all day long. We loved it there (again) last week.
Bummer about Castaway Air Bar - they make yummy drinks there!
TR Summer 2014: We're out of it! A MAGICal Med adventure TR 2013: Get off the ship .....
Visit my other TRs/dining reviews here:

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: