Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2013, 08:03 PM   #1486
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Snorkels and Shovels

Apologies again. Photobuckets new editor doesn't seem to want to save just a rotation of a picture so then I have to save it as a new pic and the image size gets bigger when I do that. Why, I've no idea but it's driving me nuts. They did email me a list to planned fixes/additional features when I whined but I'm not happy about the changes they've made. Too much work for this TR and the joint one with Mary Ellen to change but we will see how things are working, or not, come Aulani time.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled TR! We'd all slept well after our pirate adventures and while I can't speak for anyone else, I woke up rested and excited for the day ahead.

Today was in all likelihood the most anticipated day of our entire trip. By some of us, if not all of us. Castaway Cay! Today was a day that getting kids out of bed early hopefully wouldn't be an issue. And truly, it wasn't!

We woke the kids to get them moving and then went to check out the view from our Verandah.

Sigh. Now that’s what I call a room with a view. Yep. Verandah junkies for life!

These 2 were raring to go!

And so we did, off to Cabanas for breakfast. Where I didn't take a single picture (as I think it was all packed in the beach bag, maybe even including my phone) but I am quite positive I had muesli, maybe a yogurt and other people ate other things. Coffee. I definitely had coffee! Memorable huh.

Ashore was scheduled for 8:30. My pictures were taken around 8:15 so you can see no one was onshore quite yet. We did want to get there on the earlier side to hopefully get a good spot. Given that we weren't eating till 8:30…not exactly the first folks off the ship. But for us..not bad either. Pirate night hadn't been early for anyone so all things considered I was quite happy. I did an absolutely HORRIBLE job of documenting our arrival. What I do recall is we got off the ship, grabbed towels and boogied. We skipped character pictures, walked by the first tram stop and…elected to keep walking rather than wait. That completely empty beach was NOT empty at all any longer, closer to the ship being much more crowded. Which was ok with us as the boys wanted to be closer to pelican’s plunge anyway. What I do know is that we made it to loungers, in a semi decent spot, by 9:30. For us, not bad at all. They weren't front row but we did get them near a palm tree so that we’d have a bit of shade. As important they were nice and close to restrooms and Cookies Too. Really, for the family beach pretty much a perfect spot. As we settled in we realized that the family of one of Kendall's new shipmate friends were right in front of us! The girls were thrilled and the parents were as well, finally getting to meet some of the other parents. Super nice family. The teens had their day already planned out, a combo of beach soccer, swimming and volleyball. We agreed to meet back at a certain time for lunch and with that, they were gone, heading first to the Hideout which is the teen only section. The E's, sunscreen barely absorbed, headed into the water and straight to the slide.

Can you blame them?

Jeff and I just sat, watched and enjoyed for a bit.

We figured we'd go here later, it was still far too early in the day for that (plus I think Jeff had packed a beer or maybe some rum into the beach bag?)

I didn't document much early on, just enjoying the beach, the sun, the sand, and the surf. The water was heavenly! Pretty soon though the boys came back with agendas

Looks like trouble huh

This is Evan's

I'm about to ask for something look

Eric in the meantime was up to other things.

Sand!

Now what’s interesting to me about this picture is clearly there is a PP person right there but I've no idea what they were doing and I didn't notice them at the time. WAH!

He’s very focused

And apparently some lucky folks in the water are getting their picture taken. Rats.

What do you think Eric?

Really?

Just joking!

No, not really but he had a request as well.

Jeff and I chatted and came up with a plan. I'd take care of Eric’s request, and then he could take care of Evan's.

First though I took my time fulfilling Eric’s. Checked out the restrooms (very cool theming, should have had my camera or phone out), got a beverage from the station (iced tea) and then hit the shops. While I didn't see anything of interest for me, but did find something for Eric to fufill his request.

The beach was filling up that was for sure

So was the line for the slide

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 02-16-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #1487
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Snorkels and Shovels, con't.

Continued from previous
Evan and his agenda, were ready to go

Where? Why snorkeling of course! While fulfilling Eric's request I’d picked up the free (and mandatory) inflatable vest.

I strolled along, to photodocument of course

This place looked lovely for a drink

Evan needed some help

And off he goes!

They are VERY strict about not being in the snorkeling lagoon if you don’t have a vest on. Want to help your kid? Get a vest.

Testing

Uh oh, looks like we have a problem

Shhh don't tell, Jeff doesn't have a vest on

I think it was a goggle suction issue but am not sure. Something was off with the float in the snorkel itself as well

Hey look, you don't have to snorkel to see the fish!

Evan seemed set for the moment and Jeff agreed to hang and watch him so I strolled back to check on E2

This is a cute splash area for younger ones

I had to take a picture of this sign

We didn't have a cabana, but if we DID, we’d check in here

I took a picture of the shop I'd been at earlier

And look, a Kendall sighting!

They were either coming, or going, from here

Definitely going, as Jeff was back and K was checking in (I can't recall if he'd determined Evan had it handled and wouldn't drown, or Evan had stopped, or what).

Continued in next post

Last edited by eandesmom; 02-16-2013 at 08:35 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #1488
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Snorkels and Shovels con't.

Continued from previous
So what had Eric been up to during all of this? Enjoying his new toy, which I'd known would keep him fully occupied while we got Evan settled snorkeling and at the same time avoid a fight over who got to use the gear from occurring. I figured we’d see how it went before renting another set.

Miserable isn’t he

Postcard perfect

We contemplated renting a tube but the kids never seem to use them enough or end up having them lent to them by others they end up finding and playing with. But it did look lovely just floating out there.

There was decent wind for hang gliding. Too pricey for me but I can only imagine how pretty it must have been up there. I think though that it was so windy, the jetski's weren't running. Not positive though.

Someone was worn out from snorkeling

Someone else was really sandy and had to rinse off

That’s one approach

No, don’t go without ME!

Ok fine, you two can have ONE more slide

I figured I’d go along, in search of the elusive in motion shot

It can be a LONG wait…so more beach and ship photos

Kendall and Jeff were getting impatient I think

Not yet

Looking around some more

I wonder, were people buying food here or just drinks?

And...

Missed the action shot.

Well…that worked up an appetite! Up next….Cookies Too!
Old 02-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #1489
Mndisneygirl
DIS Veteran

I've been reading along as you posted tonight - I was waiting to post though. I caught Pat between posts on her TR!

Looks like a GREAT beach day! So cool that there's something for everyone there isn't it? I love how there's so many colorful umbrellas, etc.
I bet it was hot enough that the water felt pretty good.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #1490
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Loving your pictures from your day at castaway Cay and wanted to come by with a few notes/ The shutters photographers often wonder around the family beach taking candid shots as well as requested shots. As for heads up bar its' just drinks.

Here's a pic I have of the Disney Magic from there in 2007

Also I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with photobucket have thought of using flikr?

Also oddly I have a picture of the heads up bar from the same angle as you.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #1491
MeMom
DIS Veteran

Castaway Cay is the thing that tempts me most about taking a cruise. Very fun pictures. Looks like it was a great day for all!
Mingos in da Watah! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2758143
Geen Yight: She's Out of Sight! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2677011
My Name is NOT Broccoli www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2611094
From Pop to the Top www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495977
Mother, May I? Yes, You May www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2448482
Ringing in 2010 www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2356794
Brooklynn Takes Bella to Meet Cinderella www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2209387
A Two Short, Too Different Spring Break Trip www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2122295
Over the river and through the FUN! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post29060069
A Ten Day Ride on a Magic Camel www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1869591
Baby and the Tramp...and a Pop Half Century www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1470678

We've stayed at Pop Century, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, All Star Music, French Quarter, Wilderness Lodge, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Vero Beach, Kidani Village and Saratoga Springs - many trips, and many wonderful, magical memories made.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #1492
KristiMc
DIS Veteran

Great pictures! I so wish I was at Castaway Cay today.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #1493
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post

Sigh. Now that’s what I call a room with a view. Yep. Verandah junkies for life!

Interesting Palm tree......er cell phone tower?

Yes havinag a verandah does have its advantages.

Castaway cay is one of the reasons I want to cruise too. That does sound odd I guess. All these Cruise TRs sure make it inticing.

Looks like everyone had a great beach day !!!!
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL
Can't wait to go back
Old 02-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #1494
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the wonderful pix of Castaway Cay !!I can't wait to see it for myself , I can tell you I will NOT be going down the slide or snorkeling but will be enjoying a dip in those clear blue waters !!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 02-17-2013, 10:28 AM   #1495
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

Love Castaway Cay. For me, a perfect day is a hammock on Serenity Bay with a Konk Kooler or 2. I'm going to miss not going to CC on my next cruise.

Jill in CO
Old 02-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #1496
MEK
DIS Veteran

I love this picture! Great job!

This is a beautiful shot! And it does look like a great place to have a drink.

So you can bring your own cooler off the boat? I am so doing that, plus having a drink at that bar.

Your CC day looks like so much fun. Did you ever get a chance to go to the adults only beach?

I have not yet converted over to the new photo bucket. I am dragging my feet kicking and screaming. I know I need to do it, but I can't quite stomach it yet.

Oh - and the view from your verandah. Perfection!

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW

Last edited by MEK; 02-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:33 AM   #1497
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Today was in all likelihood the most anticipated day of our entire trip. By some of us, if not all of us. Castaway Cay!

LOVE that island. That was definitely my favorite part of the cruise. I could have spent the whole week there.

Quote:
It's hard to argue with the evidence presented.

Quote:
The E's, sunscreen barely absorbed, headed into the water and straight to the slide.

Can you blame them?
KThanksMomSeeYaBye!

Quote:
I didn't document much early on, just enjoying the beach, the sun, the sand, and the surf. The water was heavenly!
Enjoyment >> Documentation

Quote:
This is Evan's

I'm about to ask for something look
He looks pretty happy, though.

Quote:
They are VERY strict about not being in the snorkeling lagoon if you don’t have a vest on. Want to help your kid? Get a vest.
Understandable, when they make you swim 9 miles to see the cool stuff!

Quote:
Postcard perfect

Beautiful!

Quote:
Someone was worn out from snorkeling
Been there.

Quote:
And...

Missed the action shot.
D'oh!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #1498
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Gorgeous pictures from your verandah! If we ever do cruise again, we'll either go with the same room we had with the large porthole with seating or with a verandah.

It looks like ya'll were very near the spot we were at on the family beach. It was perfect for going to and from the restrooms and the drink station.

The boys looked like they were having a great time! We thought about going snorkeling but thought we better not since none of us are good at it.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

Old 02-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #1499
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Quite a view. Makes me understand why it is worth it to get a verandah as opposed to the interior porthole (as cool as they seem to be).

Quote:
And so we did, off to Cabanas for breakfast. Where I didn't take a single picture (as I think it was all packed in the beach bag, maybe even including my phone) but I am quite positive I had muesli, maybe a yogurt and other people ate other things. Coffee. I definitely had coffee! Memorable huh.
You seem awfully certain about that coffee part...

Quote:
We figured we'd go here later, it was still far too early in the day for that (plus I think Jeff had packed a beer or maybe some rum into the beach bag?)
It's not a day at the beach without some rum.

Quote:
Shhh don't tell, Jeff doesn't have a vest on
Rebel.

Quote:
Postcard perfect

Quote:
And...

Missed the action shot.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #1500
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
I've been reading along as you posted tonight - I was waiting to post though. I caught Pat between posts on her TR!
I've been known to Ninja post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Looks like a GREAT beach day! So cool that there's something for everyone there isn't it? I love how there's so many colorful umbrellas, etc.
I bet it was hot enough that the water felt pretty good.
I love the umbrellas, so very very pretty!

The water felt lovely. Temperature wise it really was a perfect day. hot but not unbearably so. We were in and out of the water all day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYorkDisneyFan View Post
Loving your pictures from your day at castaway Cay and wanted to come by with a few notes/ The shutters photographers often wonder around the family beach taking candid shots as well as requested shots. As for heads up bar its' just drinks.
I figured that and since nothing popped up with facial regonition in our book, I assumed they never got a picture of any of us.

Good to know on the heads up bar. I wasn't sure if any of them sold more than drinks.

Quote:
Here's a pic I have of the Disney Magic from there in 2007

Quote:
Also I'm sorry to hear about your troubles with photobucket have thought of using flikr?
I have. Everyone is having issues at the moment as they are mid site upgrade and changing the rules. I'm fairly invested there and until recently have been quite happy with my pro account, which I didn't renew all that long ago. With the changes I no longer have unlimited storage (but am only 50% full so do still have lots of room) and I've uploaded all the pics from the last 2 trips so won't move them. Depending on how it plays out with the site improving, or not, I may try out flickr for Aulani. I just don't like the idea of having stuff in more than one spot.

Quote:
Also oddly I have a picture of the heads up bar from the same angle as you.
Such a pretty shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMom View Post
Castaway Cay is the thing that tempts me most about taking a cruise. Very fun pictures. Looks like it was a great day for all!
It is truly paradise. I was skeptical, I admit but oh, it was just wonderful for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiMc View Post
Great pictures! I so wish I was at Castaway Cay today.
Me too! We did come to our senses though and have decided Greece should be replaced by the Southern Caribbean as an adult only trip. The prices were just too high on Greece. I suppose if a deal comes out after the paid in full date happens, in theory we could go for it as our new date is a lot farther out but the reality is that the 7 night versus the 9 was less than half as much for a better category of room and we can both fly to San Juan for less than one ticket to Venice.

It's the responsible thing to do plus it becomes much less of a long shot, and more of a sure shot.

No Castaway Cay but I think the new itinerary more than makes up for it and is a great adult only trip for Jeff's birthday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Interesting Palm tree......er cell phone tower?
Pretty funny huh!

Quote:

Yes havinag a verandah does have its advantages.
We are verandah junkies

Quote:
Castaway cay is one of the reasons I want to cruise too. That does sound odd I guess. All these Cruise TRs sure make it inticing.
Not at all, I think it sucks at least half of the people in!

Quote:
Looks like everyone had a great beach day !!!!
Yes and we are only half way through it! Not even that much actually.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: