Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #136
Moira222
Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

I feel like I just drank a gallon of coffee after reading your frenetic pace that afternoon.

BTW I am going to steal your "moms home " rules -- adding only "let mom pee" to it.

I so know that those two minutes of walking in, emptying my hands and using the bathroom are the difference between a good evening and a bad one.

but i digress

You ARE INDEED a super mom.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #137
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
What a manic last day but you got there in the end which is all that matters.
Exactly! And that was all I cared about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly View Post
Hope Taylor is enjoying London, we've got nice weather at the moment.
As best we can tell with the limited updates, he is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
So I knew of most of your crazyness, but those last few hours sounds extra insane.
Yeah, the cat wrangling didn't quite make it into the PTR did it

Quote:
Love you work retreat pictures. Cool air shot. Great pictures of the kids.
Well I wouldn't go so far as to call it a retreat. It was an annual conference for a group of clients. I had one before the trip and one after. Both 4 days long and they are a combo of tradeshow where sponsors like me are there to talk about our business, give away swag and sell our services. Then there are a number of social events. The good news is that both have a golf tournament and I don't golf so at a minimum I get some downtime. At this one my sister and 2 wives of other sponsors and I went on the hike. Pretty fun actually as one of the wives is a big Disney buddy. They aren't on the boards but her DH and I chat Disney all the time...they are looking to buy resale sometime this year and are just cool folks. Comando to the bitter end those 2, and their kids too. To the point where they sent her parents back to the car at DL to wait it out when they complained. However apparently my idea of a walk was a bit more strenuous than she and the other wife were used to (which was pretty obvious at the time). My sponsor buddy told me this weekend (at the other conference) that the hike inspired them to join a gym. LOL! So that was kind of cool actually. So they have some nice downtime, this weekend my co worker and I drove to a cute bavarian town that she'd never been to (sponsor buddy calls it a Disney Town and there is some truth to that) and I hadn't been in years. It was fun. However, when you are on, you are ON and it's exhausting. The nice thing about the one htis past weekend (well also bad I guess lol) is that it's a new one for me. So I don't know the potential clients nearly as well. Which meant some nice unexpected solo time in the evenings that I wouldn't normally get. That's the only reason I was able to start this TR so quickly! It was lovely.

Quote:
Your cats are so cute. Glad Hank? stopped puking.
Yep, Hank. He's the older one, that had the radiocat.

Quote:
Ugh to the people on your flight - so annoying. Love how the kids all crashed on the last leg of the flight.

Yeah for Starbucks and arrival!
Well they crashed on the first leg too but I didn't take pictures. Unlike SOME people I was trying to respect those around me. Plus Eric was trying to use my lap as a pillow (which didn't work well as he kept kicking Evan in the process) and my phone was off. LOL! Not to mention trying to doze myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Just joining in. Excellent start so far!
Hi and

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
What a really great summary (and pictures) of your past family trips and your planning for this one! I was around for the PTR, and it was nice reliving some of the highs and lows you experienced on the way to making this happen.
Thanks Dee!

Our first real family trip to Disney in 2008 was our "lessons learned" trip- we learned:

Quote:
The Deluxe Dining Plan is WAY too much food, even for enthusiastic eaters like us, especially when one kid is having stomach issues.

Embrace EMHs rather than shun them

August- we came to the same conclusions as you did- too hot, too crowded, too many threats of storms ( TS Faye)

OMG- those bonus pictures of Eric with the characters are TOO cute!
I can't imagine the DxDP unless you are able to do it for one night b/c you are swapping resorts. Then it can really pay off, 3 TS spread over 2 days!

I am ALL over EMH. I get shunning the parks maybe before and after them, but during? NO way!

That's actually Evan. Eric is the baby in my arms turing away from Buzz. They were only 1 and 2 at the time.

Quote:

Holy Moley! That was a lot of zigs and zags as you got ready for takeoff.
Well it made it go by faster!

Quote:
Love, love, love the cat wrangling story (they are very cute kitties). Did you mom ever, ahem, discover that Melvin had been hurling before the visit?
I may or may not have mentioned it during the frenzied drop off or on the drive to the airport. If I did, I definitely downplayed it.

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your fellow annoying passengers on the flight. Regular flights are hard enough, but everything is unfortunately magnified on the Red Eye. Sights, sounds, and worst of all, smells.
So true. I just can't understand that kind of disrespect at that hour, or not wanting to at least tri and sleep. For all the kids saying they couldn't sleep, not a one of them noticed any of it.

Quote:
I can't imagine how very glad you were to see the magical arch!
Oh I bet you can!
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #138
marciemouse
Raised on Disney

I love love love reading your trip reports. Even though I am detail oriented and actually a decent writer, I am certain that I will NEVER compose a trip report of this magnitude. Sheesh, after that departure day, you deserve a vacation. I'm glad you included your cats. Pets are always good for a laugh. Can't wait to hear more!

Cruisin' With Mickey! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012 Trip Report

Double Dip on the Disney Wonder ~ September 2014 Trip Report

Ramada Maingate February 2014--First time as a family of five! Ramada Maingate July 2013--Last time as a family of four! Ramada Maingate December 2012--Club 33! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera November 2012--We're addicted! Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2012--First Cruise! Ramada Maingate September 2011--First Trip as a family of 4! Anaheim Hilton March 2011--Last Trip as a Family of 3! Marriott Anaheim December 2010--Grandpa Jim's First Trip Marriott Anaheim October 2010--Celebrating Our 1 Year Adoption Anniversary Marriott Anaheim July 2010--Isabel's 3rd Birthday Trip Marriott Anaheim May 2010--First Time at Disneyland & First Trip with Isabel! Off Site May 2009--Quick getaway with my two favorite guys, DH and Dad Pop Century September 2008--My first solo trip! Pop Century May 2008--Finally just DH and me again! All Star Sports September 2006--With Dad and The Otters All Star Movies October 2005--Pressed penny collecting trip on the heels of Hurricane Wilma! Off Site December 2004--One last trip with Mom...bittersweet memories Off Site April 2003--With Mom & Dad Off Site May 2000--First trip with DH! And way more trips than I can count while living in Florida and then visiting after we moved!
Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 PM   #139
pooksma
Can't help it~there is something about Ed...kinda like the Gary Sinise thing...
Well I have laughed my posterior region until it almost removed itself from my body

Wheew! And I thought this morning's run was draining! WOW!

Glad you managed to get everything done, kids ready and made it to ME!

Old 08-17-2012, 06:50 PM   #140
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

Coffee on the verandah sounds so lovely! I am definitely in. I am really enjoying the way you write, so fun and detailed! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait for more.
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

Old 08-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #141
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
That's actually Evan. Eric is the baby in my arms turing away from Buzz. They were only 1 and 2 at the time.
Sorry about that!

I think I got the cat wrong, too!
Old 08-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #143
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Holy cow, I'm exhausted just reading this!
It wasn't that bad...other than wrangling cats.

Quote:
Ha! What kind of person would screw up applying sunscreen?
I can't imagine.

Quote:
I like the evil green eye. Looks like the villain from Bolt.
Only when directed at the other cat or if he's hungry. Beyond that he is the biggest fraidy cat that ever lived. A rescue kitty and he's got some trauma in there for sure.

Quote:
Immediate family learns that more quickly. If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
Well, you'd HOPE they'd learn.

Quote:
How does that usually manifest itself? I do the eye thing, myself.
As my kids age, the evil seems to be losing some impact. As a result the snarl factor seems to increase proportionately.

Quote:
I would totally have agreed and taken credit.
Well, I didn't NOT take credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Just woke up rom the nap I needed after being exhausted from the frenzy.

Quote:
The Hurling cat, the work blow up and trying to squeeze a number of extra random things in before you leave.

Sound similar to my last tip.
After reading your intro, it most certainly does!

Quote:
Funny about the voucher comment. My DD has called me magic before when I can get things done easily or really just follow directions.

The DME line always amazes me. I am always to walk on by and say to myself - see ya suckers.

You are on Property, You are on Property, You are on Property.
I don't get that line, I really don't! Just being on the bus is a pretty happy spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeystoontown View Post
Have mercy woman! I'm tired just reading all you went through on departure day. I laughed outloud at the "baggage clam". Something like that sticks in your mind forever and you can never ever let the person who said it live it down.
Nope. In fact it's kind of funny, had we not had the magic gate check of our bags we couldn't have even made the joke about going there as we'd have been hauling our stuff straight to DME. Which I was eternally grateful that we didn't have to. Did I mention how heavy Kendall's bag was?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
So I love how you open your update with a beautiful, calm, tranquil photo before you hit us with the craziness of your departure day! Seriously, I think I would have hit a point where I was in the fetal position on the floor begging to be left alone
I didn't think about it that way! Although having had a little bit of tranquility before all of that probably helped quite a bit. That and hitting the gym each night and Jeff being out of town. As a result, mentally I was up for it thank goodness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Sorry you had so many annoying people on your flight. You would think everyone would be trying to sleep on a red eye! Of course that wouldn't have helped with the guy with the flatulence problem.......
No but I was grateful his system calmed down after a bit (heck, it could have been a her). I was really surprised. We've done a 10:30 red eye before and that one I understand but one that leaves at 12:50am? It seems incredibly rude to be watching a movie at that hour and tapping, crackling away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
Cynthia, I will admit I read your update last night when I got in bed before I went to sleep. I was exhausted after I read of your travel day.
My TR...a sleep aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMark View Post
I'm glad you finally arrived safely, and I can't wait to read where you ended up at OKW and what you thought (and we can't wait to be there in 29 days).
You are just around the corner!
Old 08-18-2012, 12:09 PM   #144
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodnol View Post
Hi Cynthia, it seems I'm back from vacation just in time!
Katharina! I hope you had a wonderful vacation too!

Quote:
The passengers on your plane reminded me of our return flight: I was sitting for 11 hours (take-off was delayed after boarding for an hour) between my husband and an Italian American who was traveling to Italy via Frankfurt. After about two hours on board he asked me whether I was was allergic to cats, which I am, but it's a mild allergy. He then revealed that he was traveling with his cat, the poor thing had so far been sitting in a kind of bag under the seat in front of him. I told him as long as the cat stays on his lap, I should be okay, and it was okay. What I didn't think of, was cat food. I love cats, but I hate the smell of tinned cat or dog food. Of course the cat had to be fed, twice...
UGH. I don't think anyone likes that smell and it's not something that clears the air quickly. 11 hours. YIKES!

Poor cat too, I've flown with mine and it's not fun at all.

Quote:
Magdalene will hava a laugh (I haven't told her this yet), because the last time I flew home from SFO was 20 years ago with her, and I ended up sitting next to an funny smelling Italian couple who manicured their nails for several hours. I guess, I will avoid SFO in the future...
Ok that was a serious coffee spewing moment! I have a very scary mental image...how can one spend hours on nails? I would never do that on a plane. Ok, trim and file maybe but not polish which is very stinky, or remover. Still, though, hours?

Makes me think of the Ripley's Believe it or Not photos of the guys with the long curling nails...ick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNotAPrincess View Post
Wowza!

What a day you had! I'm exhausted just reading about it...good thing you were at Disney at the end of all the insanity!
That makes everything better doesn't it? That and a giant Starbucks the minute you get off the plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
can you repeat what you did from the 3:32 to the 5:38 time frame please i was a little hazy on that leg of the pre trip plans.

ran around like a chicken with my head cut off. There, that covers it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauntleroyFAN07 View Post
the fouler reminded me of our trip to hawaii...not an actuall stinker, but when i was in the great state of Oregon and at there airport on the way out...before i boarded we were grabbing lunch

well i saw a great stand fo mountain brats or something like that.

so venture over and get a brat.

sir do you want sour kraute well of course what is a brat without kraute.

so about 30 minutes laters when we are on the plan and i unwrap that bad boy...a huge waft comes out and travels down the plan with sour kraute.smell.

the wife wasnt too happy with me on that one.

ohh well, i loved it.

LOL! I bet Candi was NOT thrilled at all. Nasty. Major party foul my friend.

Quote:
2 Month Dance
59 days!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so excited! And happy we've tightened things up, it is going to be a GREAT trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
WHAT a day!!! That must have been the longest flight!! So glad you arrived safely with everything in order! I can't wait to see your villa!
Well it was two flights, the first one felt long at 1am to 4 am Seattle time but the second not so bad other than being tired. In some ways I think the 2 shorter flights was a little better even with the layover, at least that way we could regroup, stretch and then try to sleep again. Added about 2 hours to the trip due to the delay but still not all that bad for non direct. I couldn't wait to see my villa too, I'd never actually seen one "live" yet. I'd stayed in a DVC studio but that was it.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #145
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moira222 View Post
I feel like I just drank a gallon of coffee after reading your frenetic pace that afternoon.
Which is what I did once we landed at MCO. LOL!

Quote:
BTW I am going to steal your "moms home " rules -- adding only "let mom pee" to it.
And add "don't talk to mom WHILE she is peeing" to it as well.

Quote:
I so know that those two minutes of walking in, emptying my hands and using the bathroom are the difference between a good evening and a bad one.

but i digress

You ARE INDEED a super mom.

It makes a HUGE difference. Not that they seem to remember the rules on a regular basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
I love love love reading your trip reports. Even though I am detail oriented and actually a decent writer, I am certain that I will NEVER compose a trip report of this magnitude.
Aw, thanks, that is so sweet! I really enjoy writing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciemouse View Post
Sheesh, after that departure day, you deserve a vacation. I'm glad you included your cats. Pets are always good for a laugh. Can't wait to hear more!
It was such a nutty week, I was just hoping that it had packed all of that into the pre-vacation drama and there wouldn't be any left to happen on vacation. The cat wrangling really was funny, like a skit on a tv show. Still amazed I didn't snag my dress.

There was cat hair flying around my car though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooksma View Post
Wheew! And I thought this morning's run was draining! WOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooksma View Post
Glad you managed to get everything done, kids ready and made it to ME!
They were ready, the biggest challenge is getting Eric out of the pool in a decent amount of time. He will take a ridiculously long shower at the gym, then dry his suit in the machine. It takes him FOREVER. But...they needed showers before we left so I tried not to get twitchy while I waited and warn them with enough time so I could just be doing a few more weights and stretch and not count the 30+ minutes an 11 year old needs to change at the pool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
Coffee on the verandah sounds so lovely! I am definitely in. I am really enjoying the way you write, so fun and detailed! Thank you for sharing! Can't wait for more.
Hi and

It is one of my favorite things to do, year round, but on vacation verandah's, lanais, balcony and decks are generally a room/condo requirement for us. Even though we might have those things at home, we don't take the time to enjoy them as we should. Vacation allows us to soak it up. Thank you for the nice compliments, I really enjoy writing TR's!

Quote:
Sorry about that!

I think I got the cat wrong, too!
Well you get a pass on both. Not like I've shown much pictures of the E's at that age. Plus it's the back of Evan's head in all the pics. I'd bet you could tell if it was the front and I"ve been a bad cat mama and didn't include them in the intro's. Hank is the tabby, he's "my" cat, I got him while pregnant with Evan. My ex MIL wanted a cat for her dog (long story) and I went with her to the shelter. Hank reached his paw through his cage and petted my face.

DONE.

Melvin on the other hand, aka Hank's nemesis, was Evan's 10th birthday present. A fact that Jeff regrets agreeing to, to this day. So he says. He's a big fat liar but the cat does whine a bit and definitely has some PTSD. He's also a rescue kitty and is pretty sweet and sure loves Evan. And sometimes Hank too, they have a love/hate thing going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Holy moly! I can't believe everything you had to do that last day! I think I need a vacation just from reading all of that!

LOL, isn't everyone's last day like that? I swear, I need evening flights to allow for that kind of thing, early morning is a problem for me. Oct should be ok since it's just me but wrangling the whole family for an early am one? Not THAT stresses me out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisMomAmy View Post
Soooooo glad you finally made it!
Me too!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #146
winkers
I was stuck in that position and ... It took 4 strapping young boys to hoist me back on my feet
Personally, I'm a popper! I love me some black heads.

Holy Heck! I'm tired just from reading about your last day!
Old 08-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #147
GreatBiscuit
Golden but never flaky

Thanks for the shoutout, can't wait to see panoramic shots!

That was a crazy last day! Hopefully you were able to relax on the trip.

Note: No trees were killed in the posting of this reply, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #148
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkers View Post
Holy Heck! I'm tired just from reading about your last day!
I'd hoped it would make me tired for the plane but really should have had my headphones out, I'm sure I'd have dozed off more that way. Next time! Not that I have a red eye planned for anytime soon though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
Thanks for the shoutout, can't wait to see panoramic shots!
It's a neat little app, not perfect but pretty fun to play with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBiscuit View Post
That was a crazy last day! Hopefully you were able to relax on the trip.
A normal last day for a trip around here, I've had far worse that's for sure! I did relax. Probably the most I have EVER relaxed on a family trip. Which as fun as they are, aren't relaxing in nature.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:04 PM   #149
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Drug of choice? What time was your layover? We did a red eye with a layover. Once. Never again. Maybe the kids were too young but they did not appreciate Hotlanta at 3 am. And I didn't appreciate them. Man were they grumpy!

We're getting charged for luggage on the way home as we're flying United. Hate them. However we had some vouchers and with flights from MCO to SLC for $125 per person I would have been hard pressed not to use them even with their horrific customer service. As long as we land in one piece, it was an amazing deal. we're flying SW on the way out and they give two free bags each. I'm torn with wha to do. I'm not sure we can manage to check only one or two bags total. I was thinking one each but that's $35 x 6. Still making our flights $160 pre-voucher which ain't bad especially now when all I'm seeing are price increases. Our flight to MCO has gone up over $100. I'm so glad I bought them when I did.

That's nice that your mom will watch the cats. We have to kennel our dogs for the low low price of $30 a night. Times that by 12 and that's a fun to spend. Not really. But they are an amazing kennel. It's a couple and his brother who live on the property. Its an old horse stable so the dogs have a huge yard to run in and no cages. It's really nice. They seem to enjoy it but since they can't speak you never really know.

Can't wait to read more more more!!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Last edited by rentayenta; 08-18-2012 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:41 PM   #150
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Drug of choice? What time was your layover? We did a red eye with a layover. Once. Never again. Maybe the kids were too young but they did not appreciate Hotlanta at 3 am. And I didn't appreciate them. Man were they grumpy!
Well, it was about 6am in Minneapolis when we landed, so 4am our time. They were pretty good. Our layover was supposed to be an hour and given that it was a haul to the new gate, even with the delay I don't know that we were sitting there longer than an hour, tops, probably closer to 45 minutes. I am glad we had snacks with us though, that did help kill the time. They were quite good actually! It wasn't their first red eye though. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, it saves the entire day of travel!

Quote:
We're getting charged for luggage on the way home as we're flying United. Hate them. However we had some vouchers and with flights from MCO to SLC for $125 per person I would have been hard pressed not to use them even with their horrific customer service. As long as we land in one piece, it was an amazing deal. we're flying SW on the way out and they give two free bags each. I'm torn with wha to do. I'm not sure we can manage to check only one or two bags total. I was thinking one each but that's $35 x 6. Still making our flights $160 pre-voucher which ain't bad especially now when all I'm seeing are price increases. Our flight to MCO has gone up over $100. I'm so glad I bought them when I did.
Ugh on United, that was my back up for the outbound and they are notorious for time and schedule changes which I did not want.

Quote:
That's nice that your mom will watch the cats. We have to kennel our dogs for the low low price of $30 a night. Times that by 12 and that's a fun to spend. Not really. But they are an amazing kennel. It's a couple and his brother who live on the property. Its an old horse stable so the dogs have a huge yard to run in and no cages. It's really nice. They seem to enjoy it but since they can't speak you never really know.

Can't wait to read more more more!!
It is my dad watching them, mom tolerates it for him. LOL He really needs a cat but they travel SO much it wouldn't be fair to the cat. Mine do ok at the kennel but it's like $28 per cat and adds up FAST.

Working on an update but am going to have to stop, have a date with my hubby and better get in the shower or I will be in trouble! While I upload CD's from our FE...they are SO fun! Great DISing (and summer) music.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: