Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Star Wars Celebration VI - August 23-26, 2012

Has a planning thread for this started yet? This is our first year planning on going and I don't know what to expect as a newbie.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

I booked the our room for the celebration! I'm surprised at how fast some of the rooms are going!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

It is a fantastic time. I went to the one last year with a friend and we had a great time. The convention center is perfect. Well laid out and with plenty to do. I would recommend visiting rebelscum.com and clicking on the forums to see all of the posts relating to the last Celebration event.

I'm planning on going but am holding off on booking until the block of time opens up with Expedia. I want to stay at the Hampton Inn on N. International Drive.

I had only been to one other Celebration prior to the one in Orlando (2005 in Indy) and Orlando blew it away. That's not saying the Celebration in Indy was bad. In fact it was really good but Orlando took it to another level.

Past Disney Trips
-June 1989: Hotel Royal Plaza
-July 1989: One day Trip to MK from Port Richie
-August 1989: Holiday Inn (International Drive)
-July 1990: Swan
-June 1993: Port Orleans
-June 1994: Port Orleans
-August 2010: Comfort Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-August 2011: One Week at All Star Music
-August 2012: Embassy Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-February 2013: Art of Animation
CaptainAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM   #4
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the info! I'll check out that site. Do you know if it was in the West or North/South side of the convention center?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
miralys
Proud Member: 501st & Rebel Legion

You will have an awesome time at Celebration! So many things to do & people to meet.

To answer your last question, the convention was on the west concourse in 2010. I booked a room at the Rosen Centre in anticipation of it being on the west concourse again next year. I agree, rebelscum is a good site for planning purposes. So excited!
miralys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

The West Side of the Convention Center had a ton of room. It did not feel crowded at all.

I've already booked our room as well. I'm going to stay at the Embassy Suites at Jamaican court. A little less than a mile down on International Drive but the walk does not bother me in the least.

Now I'm impatiently waiting for the airfare window to open.

Past Disney Trips
-August 2010: Comfort Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
-August 2012: Embassy Suites (International Drive) -Attended Star Wars Celebration
Old 08-03-2011, 10:29 AM   #7
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

We booked Hilton Orlando. It's the opposite side of the street. Rosen Centre was fully booked when I looked, but that certainly looks like the closest location.

We are excited!

Will you be in costume or street clothes?
Old 08-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #8
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

Street clothing for me. I'm a big Star Wars fan and just as big a collector. Costuming seems like it would be a blast but it's not an aspect of my Star Wars fandom that I want to start spending money on.

Past Disney Trips
Old 08-07-2011, 06:08 AM   #9
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAlex View Post
Street clothing for me. I'm a big Star Wars fan and just as big a collector. Costuming seems like it would be a blast but it's not an aspect of my Star Wars fandom that I want to start spending money on.
My dh and ds both want to dress up. That's not really for me. Especially walking in the hot Florida sun from the Hilton to the convention center.

What aspect of Star Wars do you collect?
Old 08-07-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

I collecting higher end Star Wars collectables for the most part. Statues and mini-busts. I've recently gotten into autograph collecting. My collection takes up 1/2 of my basement. I use to collect the figures and ships you could buy at Target or Walmart, for example, but my basement looked like a toy store and my DW hated it so I got rid of 99% of it.

I also dabble in Star Wars Character Keys from ACME, some comics and other misc stuff.

Are you collectors?

I wouldn't worry about your family members wanting to go in costume. Plenty of transportation or places you can duck in for a drink and AC.

Past Disney Trips
Old 08-07-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I collecting higher end Star Wars collectables for the most part. Statues and mini-busts. I've recently gotten into autograph collecting. My collection takes up 1/2 of my basement. I use to collect the figures and ships you could buy at Target or Walmart, for example, but my basement looked like a toy store and my DW hated it so I got rid of 99% of it.

I also dabble in Star Wars Character Keys from ACME, some comics and other misc stuff.

Are you collectors?

I wouldn't worry about your family members wanting to go in costume. Plenty of transportation or places you can duck in for a drink and AC.
We have been Star Wars movie fans. Haven't missed a SSW since 2004! But Star Wars collecting is relatively new for us. We have a few autographs, Carrie Fisher's from sometime in the '90's, Jake Lloyd's from SSW 2004, and Ashley Eckstein's on one of her shirts I bought at SSW 2011.

Our 7 year old son has all the legos, and he is the biggest fan in the family. We are going to the Star Wars Celebration mostly for him. But dh and I are almost as excited about going as he!! I just really don't know what to expect?
Old 08-07-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
CaptainAlex
Mouseketeer

It really is fun. Lots of fans in costume. More Jedi, Stormtroopers, Clonetroopers and Rebels than you could imagine. Also a bunch of characters from the books and comics too.

There is an artist alley along with an autograph alley too. Defiantly cool to meet those who continue to bring the Saga to life thru art and those who have literally played a part in the movies.

There is a good sized kids room at the convention where they have many Star Wars themed arts and crafts. From other threads it does read as you and your family are quite good with the crafts and I think would really enjoy this.

The Droid Room is pretty awesome. Tons of fan made and in many cases droids that actually come to life.

The 501st (the world wide costuming group) also had a room last year showing off their costumes and props.

Lots of panels going on with the films stars, designers, and FX people. Also there are several collecting, book, comic and gaming panels to attend.

They also do a preview of the upcoming Clone Wars season. By that time it should be the preview for season 5.

Lots of vendors selling every kind of Star Wars item.

At the last Celebration there was a tattoo section where you could go get inked and a wedding chapel to wed that very special Jedi in your life.

There is something for everyone.

I can't wait. It will be great to ride the new Star Tours in just over 2 weeks as a primer to next Augusts big event.

Past Disney Trips
Old 08-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #13
miralys
Proud Member: 501st & Rebel Legion

Quote:
my basement looked like a toy store and my DW hated it so I got rid of 99% of it.
c

This sounds like my closet! You must love your spouse a lot to liquidate all of that. How did you get rid of it all? I have a bunch of X-Files and Star Trek stuff to get rid of. You'll have to pry the SW stuff out of my cold dead hands though!

Back to topic at hand, lots of people dress up, and that's part of what makes Celebration so fun! Just be sure your shoes are comfy, because there is way more walking involved than you might think.

I'll be there in costume. Two are still top-secret so I can't tell you what they are yet! Do look for the red-headed Jedi or short Jawa if you go and say hi!
miralys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
msgrimm23
Well, thanks for blowing it my way

we went last year and it was so much fun. we missed alot of stuff it seemed so big. we will be taking our daughter next year she will be 2 and loves star wars thanks to my hubby. she makes the breathing sound of darth vader and says star wars. she also knows the tee shirts we have that have star wars on them lol. next year we are doing the best of both worlds we are going to stay at disney and do star wars that was my husbands idea i have no compaints with that one. not sure about the costume thing my husband wants my daughter to dress up and i have a jedi costume i made but im not sure yet
carbeach 2010 aug pop 2008 dec pop 2007 july (engaged at mk) 2007 April PoP 2006 May pop 2005-2006 Dec Jan Pop July 2005 Pop 2004-2005 All star music 2003-2004 Dec 2002, Dec Dec Jan 2001 Caribean beach and cruise 2000 Old key west 1999 Old key west 1998 All star spots 1997 Boardwalk 1995 Old key west 1993 grad night 1992 Grand floridian March 1992,1991 Grandma's house 1990 Grandma's house 1989 Grandma's house,1987 grandma's 1986 grandma's 1980 time share that was located down by market place, 1978
Disney Cast Member 1996-2000
msgrimm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #15
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

The droid room sound very cool!

Speaking of an artist alley, there is an AMAZING giclee of Hans Solo at the Art of Disney. It keeps calling our name, lol.

The kid's room and crafts sound right down ds's alley. I'm assuming there are additional fees or were they included?

Does a published or online program guide become available before the convention of all the events?

Quote:
I can't wait. It will be great to ride the new Star Tours in just over 2 weeks as a primer to next Augusts big event.
It all sounds like so much fun! Star Tours is awesome!! So far, I've been on it 3 times. I love what they've done to the queue and the ride experience! I've beaten all odds, we have had the same ending all 3 times. But each of our beginnings were different! Sounds like you will be staying at Disney close to the same time as us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miralys View Post
This sounds like my closet! You must love your spouse a lot to liquidate all of that. How did you get rid of it all? I have a bunch of X-Files and Star Trek stuff to get rid of. You'll have to pry the SW stuff out of my cold dead hands though!

Back to topic at hand, lots of people dress up, and that's part of what makes Celebration so fun! Just be sure your shoes are comfy, because there is way more walking involved than you might think.

I'll be there in costume. Two are still top-secret so I can't tell you what they are yet! Do look for the red-headed Jedi or short Jawa if you go and say hi!
For my DH it's baseball cards that have invaded over the years. He is emotionally attatched to each!

We will keep our eye out for the red-headed Jedi and short jawa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgrimm23 View Post
we went last year and it was so much fun. we missed alot of stuff it seemed so big. we will be taking our daughter next year she will be 2 and loves star wars thanks to my hubby. she makes the breathing sound of darth vader and says star wars. she also knows the tee shirts we have that have star wars on them lol. next year we are doing the best of both worlds we are going to stay at disney and do star wars that was my husbands idea i have no compaints with that one. not sure about the costume thing my husband wants my daughter to dress up and i have a jedi costume i made but im not sure yet
I keep re-thinking our options. Til I add in the $20 a day for parking at the Hilton and the walking, I wonder if it would be that inconvenient to stay at Disney and drive to the convention center?