Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2012, 02:29 AM   #16
Zzizzy
Disney Storyteller

Quote:
Originally Posted by barngro View Post
...They are the most freaking uncomfortable things I have ever ridden in!
I couldn't agree more!!!

These new cars are a disaster! I have been an avid Matterhorn fan and rider since 1976. I've seen all the changes and all the other ride improvements and changes throughout the years. These new cars are pathetic.

There is not enough room in each individual seat. The first thing I noticed is that unless you are 4' 8", you are going to have your legs bent up because there is not enough room to stretch them out. That makes you all scrunched up to start with. Every adult I saw looked uncomfortable.

The hand holds for us "normal" adults are actually behind where you would normally place your hands. That cocks your arms back, which is also very uncomfortable and makes you not want to use the hand holds at all. So you wind up grabbing the "roll bar" of the seat in front of you, which is annoying to the person in front of you or (worse yet) you get your hands smashed as the person in front of you jostles around. No good!

But the worst is the roughness of this ride. I've always known and tolerated the rather abrupt way the Matterhorn throws you around. In the old cars, you had enough room to kind of move around and twist with the turns. That made the bumps less intense and also made the ride somewhat fun as you leaned and ducked with the turns and dips. But now the seats are so restrictive that you are at the mercy of the rough and torturous track. I tried to move to absorb the bumps but I wound up slamming my back against the hard back rest.

By the way, what idiot decided to make a rough roller coaster with a hard seat back??? That is a lawsuit waiting to happen!

After I rode the first time I lingered in the exit area for about 10 minutes watching everyone get off. I saw no - repeat NO - happy smiles at all!!! I did however see a lot of groans, and folks holding their sides and lower backs and looking disgustingly back at the vehicles. I didn't hear one person say, "Hey, that was great, let's do it again."

I rode a few times on different days to make sure it wasn't an isolated case or me beign in a bad mood. Nope. This ride now officially SUCKS!

Matterhorn used to be on my standard list of must do rides along with Space Mountain and Star Tours. No longer. This is off my list. I agree with most of the DISers here - this is just not a fun attraction anymore!

Podcast Cruise 3.0 - June 2012
DISapalooza 2011 - Wizarding World of Harry Potter
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party - December 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - September 2011
D23 Expo 2011
Mickey's Halloween Party - October 2010
Adventures by Disney Backstage Magic - July 2010
Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary - September 2009
D23 Expo 2009
Zzizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:11 AM   #17
MrsMears
Mouseketeer

Indy is a really rough ride for me, I usually feel sore afterwards and uncomfortably jostled during the ride. Does anyone else experience that and can compare with the Matterhorn?

Premium AP holders!
DLR visits
UPcoming:

2014: Beginning of March, 4 days
Past Disneyland visits:
2013: 6 days
2012: 48 Days
1988: Grad Night
1986: May
1973-1980: Monthly+
Past WDW visits:
July - August 1977
MrsMears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
vickalamode
DIS Veteran

This thread is making me sad! I'm going to DL for the first time next week and was excited to try the Matterhorn since it doesn't exist at WDW!

Disney Trips...
1997-1998-2001-2002-2005-2007-2009-2010-2011

My Rapunzel and Flynn Rider Costumes for MNSSHP

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere, I want it more than I can tell. And for once it might be grand, to have someone understand, I want so much more than they've got planned."
vickalamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #19
Astylla
Disney Fanatic

I can't deny the new seats make it a harder ride for most people , myself included. While I am short at 5'2 and about 270ish the first time I rode in the new cars it was bad for all of us in our party with the above complaints. With that said I do still love the ride , and the other times I rode I made sure to sit up and back in the seat and not slouch , which for me made it much more enjoyable. Not saying it's a perfect fix but it helped me enjoy one of my favorites again. I still think everyone should ride it at least once.
Astylla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #20
TheZue
DIS Veteran

That's depressing. I loved the Mattorhorn.

World didn't end, I'm going back!

Past Disneyland visits: 1983, 1995, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2012
How the heck do I not have a tag yet???
TheZue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #21
cpster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoMama View Post
I hate them. The new sleds are less comfortable and the ride seems slower and less fun than it used to be.
I thought it was much slower too!
cpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #22
cpster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMears View Post
Indy is a really rough ride for me, I usually feel sore afterwards and uncomfortably jostled during the ride. Does anyone else experience that and can compare with the Matterhorn?
I personally think the Matterhorn is rougher because you bump into the sides of the car.
cpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #23
Tinkerbelle's Mom
Will clean houses for tags!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMears View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpster View Post
I personally think the Matterhorn is rougher because you bump into the sides of the car.
I agree that Matterhorn is a rougher ride. I have learned to relax and enjoy indy but the matterhorn with its new seats isn't comfortable at all.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #24
LizzyS
DIS Veteran

This is disheartening to read! I loved the Matterhorn when we went last year! Yes, it is a bumpy coaster, but considering its age, I didn't expect a smooth ride, either. I will definitely ride it again and form my own opinion of the new sleds, but it sounds like the consensus is that they're too cramped and ill-designed. :-(

1st ever trip to Disneyland: November 5th, 2011

2nd trip to Disneyland & California Adventure: February 23rd & 25th-26th, 2013

3rd trip to DLR (on site stay @PPH): February 26th - March 2nd, 2014
LizzyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #25
MommyLove
The sleep-deprivation is causing low mental bandwidth
Did someone say TURKEY LEG? yum!

I am so so bummed to read this... sounds like they really blew it with these new bobsleds.
April '13 (BWPPI), May '13 (BWPPI), July '13 (Stanford I&S), Oct. '13 (BWPPI), Dec. 29, 2013 - Jan. 4, 2014 (BWPPI), April '14 (HoJo Kids Suite)
MommyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 09:40 PM   #26
ryalluvdiz
Mouseketeer

I agree! We ride every year and LOVE the matterhorn. We went this July and as I got off I thought to myself... Wow it felt much slower and way more rough!!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #27
bibbidibobbidibecky
The Fairy Godblogger

It's awful! My tail bone is bruised from July 18. Glad we rode but wow that's a rough ride!!

DCL: 2014 Greek Isles out of Venice, 2011 Med out of Barcelona, 2009 4-night Wonder.
WDW: 2014 Jan., 2012 Oct., 2011 Oct., 2010 Oct., 2009 Dec., 2008 Oct., 2008 May, 2006 Oct., 1997 April, 1996 April, 1993 Feb., 1992 Feb., 1980s various trips, 1977 First trip.
DL California 2012: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...0Report%202012
DL Paris 2014
: http://thefairygodblogger.blogspot.c...eyland%20Paris
bibbidibobbidibecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #28
dalstitch45
DIS Veteran

I thought it was just me, and that maybe I was having a bad day. When I was there last month, I didn't enjoy it at all. I love this ride, but was disappointed.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
IBLarsen
DIS Veteran

The ride has never been smooth. But it's always been a family favorite! I feel like it would give the kids whiplash, but I was ok with them going because DH and I could hold onto them and support their heads more and keep them from banging off the side of the sleds. Now I'm very worried about this for our upcoming trip and not sure that I want to let dd7 ride in the single seater sled by herself. She will be so very disappointed as this is her absolute favorite ride!
IBLarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #30
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

Have people been complaining to DL about this?? Is there a chance if enough people complain something can be done??
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: