Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 AM   #16
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

Thanks for the birthday wishes! We are having an awesome trip so far. No rain & only sunshine.

Can't wait to share some pictures of our experience when we return home.
emmebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #17
jabead
DIS Veteran

Glad to hear that you are having a great trip! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

we are finally home & settled from our disney trip. i survived disney with my 2 year old & insane heat & humidity (but very happy with no rain)

we had a fantastic time full of wonderful memories.

i'll be doing dining reviews & including other pictures of our 4 days & 3 nights at disney. i will be creating online galleries of my pictures & if anyone is interested, i can include a link.

up first: arrival @ all stars movies resort, lunch @ CRYSTAL PALACE & a few hours at magic kingdom!

we arrived from our early morning drive to the all stars movies resort & i received my request in the toy story section (hooray!) despite originally having a room in the fantasia section. i felt the pixie dust already. for $66 a night (summer AP rate), it was a great bargain & my daughter absolutely could not get enough of this area. i was very happy with my choice as we literally slept & showered and were on the go all day/night.

the shampoo was so cute!

we unpacked quickly and then headed over to the magic kingdom for our lunch at CRYSTAL PALACE but not before a photo op with buzz lightyear.

my daughter was a bit disoriented with the drive & fell asleep on the ride over to magic kindgom. we finally arrived to CRYSTAL PALACE & was quickly seated despite being 30 minutes late for our adr. the weather was grotesquely hot & i was so happy to be inside air conditioning. the place was jam packed & the characters were already descending upon my area.

i will admit, my food pictures are very minimal during lunch. the characters were coming quickly, i had to feed a groggy 2 year old & take pictures with characters, and our table was against the wall but along the main aisle. it was very busy & awkward especially when trying to get pictures as people were headed to & from the buffet.

my first plate of food.

the collards were delicious & the meat w/ horseradish cream was a little too overcooked for my tastes. the mediterranean inspired chicken was decent & the basmati rice was perfectly cooked.

my daughter had an amazing meal of rice & ice cream. she did eat some broccoli, chicken & more icecream.

my second plate consisted of ham (very good), cold couscous salad (ok), macaroni & cheese (ridiculously good even with the nuclear orange color..ha ha), mashed potatoes (very yummy) & yes, more collards (i'm a southern girl).

the characters seemed to always take a break right before they reached our table. my daughter would get very excited & then get sad when the characters walked away. it's tough to explain that to a 2 year old but she finally "got it" after the second time & patiently waited as best as she could.

piglet time!
customized shirt created by ann. check out her etsy page!

my favorite eeyore & an uninterested emme (he walked away prior to our table for a break]

she's almost forgiven tigger for taking a break before reaching her.

our cm jamie was very attentive & one of the best we had during our trip. 4/8 places acknowledged my birthday celebration & it was nice to get the cupcake w/sprinkles & cute signed card. i also had an orange streamer on the table as well.

i am forever 21!

the buffet at CRYSTAL PALACE had a great variety & tons of food. even though i didn't like everything, i was satisfied. the air conditioning was a blessed relief from the heat and it was a nice start to our hectic morning. the characters were very cute even though i felt like tigger & pooh were having a rough day. as mentioned prior, my table was right by the walkway to the buffet & it became awkward to maneuver around especially for pictures.

i think i would give this place another shot. it was not my favorite of the trip but it was definitely not terrible. my daughter got to see the characters, eat lots of ice cream & the location was great.

my friend was not on the dining plan and his lunch was about $28.00 with tax.

...now onwards to a few hours in magic kingdom...

cinderella's castle reflection.

perfect timing for the show!

the waiting area was super fun!

dumbo flying both directions...we rode both sides.

i loved seeing the halloween decorations!

we headed back to our hotel after a few more hours in fantasyland. i needed a little break & a cold beer before our much anticipated dinner at 'ohana.

next up, dinner @ 'OHANA!

Last edited by emmebear; 09-07-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #19
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Great pics of Crystal Palace, MK's Halloween decorations, the refurbished Dumbo, and the shampoo. Looking forward to reading more!
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #20
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

Your daughter is just too precious! I love the sorta side-eye look she was giving in the pic with Eeyore.

Can't wait to read your 'Ohana review! Still trying to get in for dinner during our trip. Fingers crossed! I'll just live vicariously through you for now.

Jen & Rob's Not-So-Scary Deluxe Dining Report

1988 - First Visit, September 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 - Polynesian, December 2012 - Christmas at the Polynesian
TheNewMrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #21
Tinker12
Mouseketeer

Looking forward to reading Ohana's reviews. We will be heading there for the 1st time in 3 weeks!! Hope it's great!
AKL Concierge Sept/Oct 2008, AKL Sept/Oct 2009, CBR Sept/Oct 2010 , POFQ March 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2011, Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2012 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2013 Wilderness Cabins Sept/Oct 2014

Tinker12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #22
jabead
DIS Veteran

Welcome back, emmebear! I love all the pics from your Crystal Palace lunch. Your daughter is such a cutie!

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #23
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Crystal Palace looks yummy for lunch. We've only ever gone there for breakfast so one of these trips we'll have to try lunch!
Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 PM   #24
emmebear
nurse & mommy.

'OHANA dinner.

my daughter fell asleep & we headed over to epcot to enjoy a few cocktails instead of returning to the hotel. we headed to mexico & i had a sol beer. last time i had a sol, i was in mexico. only difference, in mexico, my sol was ice cold. not so much at epcot but it was still refreshing & the view was absolutely beautiful.

my daughter is finally awake & we headed over to the seas & also rode the figment attraction before heading out. the aquarium was very nice & peaceful.

hidden mickey!

we headed over to the polynesian where we had 7:50 adr for dinner at 'ohana. we were 25 minutes early & grabbed a drink at the bar and took a quick tour of the hotel. when checking in & i asked if we could possibly have a window seat so that we could view wishes during dinner (it doesn't hurt to ask, right??) the cm said he would "try his best" as i was celebrating my birthday.

[apologies for not having my flash with me...my camera weighs a ton & i didn't want to carry the added weight of my flash & i haven't edited the images yet. i already felt like the crazy lady with the obnoxious camera while my friend wanted to throttle me. ]

i was pleasantly surprised when we were taken to our table. it wasn't directly next to the window but we were two tables over with a clear view of the castle. fantastic! finally, it was time to eat.

on our way to our tables, the cm picked up a loaf of the friendship bread. this was a big hit for my daughter. she really enjoyed it.

we were also given lei's at the table and my daughter was very creative with this lei throughout dinner.

after the cm took our drink orders, the salad came out quickly. i hadn't even had the chance to blink and BOOM! there was the salad.

i did not have any of the salad as i considered it a filler but my friend said it was lightly dressed (which we both like) and that it was very refreshing. i will take his word for it...i still considered both the bread & salad as wasteful fillers.

FINALLY, lapu lapu time. despite the shocking price tag of about $13.95, the lapu lapu was very stiff and delicious.

next up was the broccoli & noodles. again, i thought these two items would take up precious tummy space for the meat so i had one small bite of the noodles. tasted like typical chinese style lo mein but again, a big hit for my daughter. she showed the broccoli & noodles whose boss!

my daughter does not drink juice or soft drinks and the cm was able to fill this cup with milk. the cup was $6.95 (expensive) but she felt very special with the cup. it was worth every penny.

up next, the mouth watering pot stickers. i'm korean & my mother makes out of this world dumplings. i did not have high hopes for these pot stickers but they were very very good. they definitely tasted homemade. i only ate the centers and didn't care much for the edges. the wings were ok. i wished they were fried a little crispier. i anticipated a very crispy wing but when i bit into it, the skin was soggy. it could have possibly been due to the sauce but i love a crispy wing and this batch was not. the sauce was not overly sweet and was very good. even though i was disappointed with the wing, the pot stickers more than made up for the lackluster wing.

here are the 3 sauces they also bring to your table.

the first meat to arrive to our table was the steak. i was worried as other reviewers have noted that the steak was tough, dry & over cooked. not this steak! it was cooked perfect, very tender & juicy. my only regret was not to get more meat from the same skewer as my second helping was tough & dry.

i was again worried about the chicken either being undercooked or dry. this batch proved me wrong as it was flavorful, moist and cooked through. my daughter devoured the chicken and it was a great vessel for the dipping sauces. the peanut sauce & chicken combination was fantastic! the chicken was the most consistently cooked properly meat of the night for us.

aaaaaaaaah, shrimp time! the shrimp was my favorite protein during dinner. the shrimp easily peeled as it was already deveined and most if not all of the legs were already removed. the shell came off in two pieces. it was a little effort to get to the shrimp but all the hard work was worth it. i must've eaten at least 14 shrimp & i was so happy i did not fill my tummy up with the fillers. i had two shrimp that were undercooked but the next batch did not disappoint. i loved all the sauces on the shrimp. very very very good! don't let the peeling part avert you from eating the shrimp (which is why my friend would not eat the shrimp).

in between skewers of meat, there was a limbo line where the kids gathered with the singing lady while shaking maracas. this was a great break as i was able to walk off some of the food and "shake it" with my daughter. very very fun and not as chaotic as one would think. all the adults cheered on the kids and it was very festive without being overly annoying.

maracas shaking time!

now, onto the life changing dessert i've read so much about...the bread pudding.

i'm not much of a sweet dessert person. i had a fear this would be overly sweet but it was a perfect blend of savory & sweet. it was ooey & gooey and the ice cream was a perfect match for the sauce. this was the best dessert of the trip. i had about 4 spoonfuls before i felt as if i was going to burst. my friend however had no issues in finishing the bread pudding. he is a huge dessert lover & he looooooved the bread pudding.

the cm brought out vanilla ice cream & sprinkles without me even asking for my daughter. i thought this was very nice & thoughtful. as usual, she loved the ice cream, especially the mickey sprinkles.

after completing our meal, wishes began at magic kingdom. the music was not piped into 'ohana. however, one person pulled up the music on her phone and played it as the fireworks were beginning. the view was glorious & it was a perfect way to end dinner.

i did notice that tables received rolled white towels in a basket. we did not get a basket so i'm not sure if this was suppose to be before or after dinner hand washing towels. also, my cm seemed very frazzled at times but it didn't hinder our meal. 'ohana did not do anything special because it was my birthday but that was not a big deal.

this adr was one that i struggled the most with. i've read so many mixed reviews of the place but i'm really glad i kept the adr. the meal was delicious, my daughter had a great time & the view for wishes was beautiful.

there were a few misses with the meat & i felt terrible for wasting the overly cooked dry pieces but i was able to get properly cooked meat after the initial miss. other "brazillian steakhouse" places do overly salt their meat but i did not have this problem at 'ohana.

i did not feel rushed at any point of the meal & service for the most part was very good. our drinks were always replenished and the dishes were cleared promptly. i would definitely recommend 'ohana dinner to everyone & would love to return if i can get another adr.

next up, CINDERELLA ROYAL TABLE breakfast @ 810am!

Last edited by emmebear; 09-04-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Great pics! Do you have an album on Flickr? I would love to see the settings!

Your daughter is soooo cute and I am super excited to read about CRT as I have a reservation there in 2 months!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:22 PM   #26
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

So happy you had a good experience at 'Ohana! Not all of our meals there have been perfect, but 'Ohana definitely has the potential to impress when everything goes well.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #27
TheNewMrsB
DIS Veteran

So glad you enjoyed your 'Ohana experience! Nice to read positive reviews. As I said before, still trying to score an ADR - hoping the credit card cancellation policy results in some cancellations as we get closer. Last time I believe we were nine days away when I finally got us in.

Ooooh lapu lapu...how I love them! And yes, the bread pudding is seriously to die for. Our CM saw that we had finished ours and asked if we wanted more. We just laughed - I mean, how could he possibly be serious? Well guess what he came back with??? I thought DH would cry. I think he might have, in fact.

Jen & Rob's Not-So-Scary Deluxe Dining Report

1988 - First Visit, September 2008, 2009, 2010, 2012 - Polynesian, December 2012 - Christmas at the Polynesian
TheNewMrsB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:22 AM   #28
jmm476
DIS Veteran

Great review of 'ohana. Your daughter is too cute!
WDW Commando Member #75

Next trip - April 2014 - one night at All Star Sports with co-workers!

My first dining review! Jan 2011
jmm476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #29
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewMrsB View Post
And yes, the bread pudding is seriously to die for. Our CM saw that we had finished ours and asked if we wanted more. We just laughed - I mean, how could he possibly be serious? Well guess what he came back with??? I thought DH would cry. I think he might have, in fact.
This happened to us as well. Except, when she asked, if we wanted another, we said "Yes, please." When it was time to leave, I felt like I was about to burst. Fortunately, this was right before the fireworks, so I hid my discomfort by suggesting we go to the beach to watch them.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #30
Haley
DIS Veteran

Great reviews! My dd will be 19 months old when we go to WDW next month so I'm really enjoying seeing how your dd did.
Disney Trips: Ft Wilderness '83, Ft. Wilderness '91, ASM July'96, Boardwalk/DCL Magic July '98, CBR/DCL Wonder '00, DCL Magic '03, CBR July '04, CBR May '05, AKL Oct '05, Poly Dec '06, DCL Wonder '06, Beach Club May '07, DCL Wonder '07, Pop/AKL Oct '08 Engaged, Ft. Wild. May 09, Poly Oct 09 Honeymoon!, DCL Magic Nov '09, Pop Oct '10, AoA/BCV Oct '12, next trip Dec '13!

Haley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: