Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

MSEP questions

My family (DH and I and our 3 kiddos 9, 7, and 4) are taking our first trip in early December. We would like to see the electrical parade and wishes ( at 7pm and 8pm respectively) and want to try to get a nice curbside spot on main street. How early should we plan to grab a spot at that time of year? Where on main street is best? Thanks in advance for your advice!
smileymomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

We sat on the sidewalk on Main Street on our trip. We got there an hour and 15 minutes prior. We weren’t the first there by any means, but were right behind people sitting on the curb itself and had a good view. There was tape down and you had to stay inside the tape so that people could continue to walk on the rest of the sidewalk. We sat a few paces away from the ice cream shop and the Main Street bakery. My dd had refused a snack prior to us getting the spot so I figured we should sit near there in case she changed her mind, and I had to make a snack run, which she did. We had a good view of everything including Tinkerbelle flying through the sky before Wishes. We were far enough back that the fireworks didn’t hurt my children’s ears, but not far enough back that the park lights had any effect on what we could see and with the help of the CMs, we got out very easily after Wishes was over.

People do fill the street after the parade and the CMs did encourage people to move up and fill in all of the space, but we stayed where we were because I knew we were leaving after Wishes and I didn't want to be in the middle of the street surrounded by people.

I would imagine that Robo once he notices your post will be along to post a map he has that is color coded rating the view in different areas. That is one thing I used to pick our spot.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
2manydaves
Mouseketeer

Even when the parks aren't overly busy, parade viewing spots get super crowded before the parade. I'd look for a spot about an hour before the parade. We always get a snack and just relax and people watch.
2manydaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much. I did get that map in another thread, I just wasn't sure how much time I should leave to get a spot. I have a 430 ADR at crystal palace but I think that may be cutting it too close to get a spot by 6pm so maybe I should change it. Thanks, I appreciate your replies :-)
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymomof3
Thanks so much. I did get that map in another thread, I just wasn't sure how much time I should leave to get a spot. I have a 430 ADR at crystal palace but I think that may be cutting it too close to get a spot by 6pm so maybe I should change it. Thanks, I appreciate your replies :-)
Do you think a 4pm ADR would be better? That is the only other time available unless I just change it to lunch or to another day. Although I like the idea that we have all just eaten before we sit down on a curb for 2 1/2 hours! Lol. Would you change it?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM   #6
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

You want to be there at least an hour before parade time. If you're not sure of where to go, ask a Main St. CM.
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

Thanks. I don't wanna be too stressed out trying to find a spot to watch it!
Old 08-10-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymomof3

Do you think a 4pm ADR would be better? That is the only other time available unless I just change it to lunch or to another day. Although I like the idea that we have all just eaten before we sit down on a curb for 2 1/2 hours! Lol. Would you change it?

Thanks
Anyone, any advice on this? What time do you eat /ADR before the parade? Thank you so much :-) :-) :-)
Old 08-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Early December has MVMCP 4 out o 7 nights a week. Anyone wanting to see the MSEP is funnelled into 3 nights. So even if it's not a high crowd time, it will be VERY busy for MSEP. Even if the park isn't bad during the day, many will hop over for the night entertainment.

Of those 3 nights with MSEP, I would choose Saturday night last. It's the busiest. Second to the last would be the EMH night. Somewhere in there is a non-Saturday non EMH night. That's your best. It's probably a Wednesday.

We went on a Saturday night last December. We left the park to tour the monorail resorts with the idea of coming back for MSEP. We walked in around 7:15 and got the LAST bit of curb-side real estate around the Main Street hub right by the train station. Main Street was already lined.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk
Early December has MVMCP 4 out o 7 nights a week. Anyone wanting to see the MSEP is funnelled into 3 nights. So even if it's not a high crowd time, it will be VERY busy for MSEP. Even if the park isn't bad during the day, many will hop over for the night entertainment.

Of those 3 nights with MSEP, I would choose Saturday night last. It's the busiest. Second to the last would be the EMH night. Somewhere in there is a non-Saturday non EMH night. That's your best. It's probably a Wednesday.

We went on a Saturday night last December. We left the park to tour the monorail resorts with the idea of coming back for MSEP. We walked in around 7:15 and got the LAST bit of curb-side real estate around the Main Street hub right by the train station. Main Street was already lined.
Oh thank you for all the info! And yes, we are going to go on one of our MK days which is a Wednesday. I will plan on getting a spot at least an hour before then and anticipate it will be more crowded. Would the MVMCP parade be even less crowded because it is offered on more nights? Thanks
Old 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
brockash
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymomof3 View Post
My family (DH and I and our 3 kiddos 9, 7, and 4) are taking our first trip in early December. We would like to see the electrical parade and wishes ( at 7pm and 8pm respectively) and want to try to get a nice curbside spot on main street. How early should we plan to grab a spot at that time of year? Where on main street is best? Thanks in advance for your advice!
My personal opinion, if you want a crub seat, all together, I'd say 2 hrs. before the parade starts. This is what we do, and we go the first week of Sept. -so very slow time, and we've had problems finding a curb seat- especially where you could also see wishes an hour and a half before. We're heading back in a couple weeks, and the parade is at 9 with wishes at 10. I'm planning on us getting a seat on the curb at 7, and then I'll run to Casey's to get dinner, and we'll eat on the curb and ppl. watch.

Also, it doesn't really matter which side of Main St. you're on, but if you want to also be able to just stand up in your spot to watch wishes, then be as close as you can to Casey's (or Plaza ice cream on the other side) -you could also sit in the hub close to the castle somewhere, but I think there are many parts of that that don't actually have a curb (flat for wheelchairs strollers etc.)-plus the hub gets crazy crowded for wishes, so we like on main st., but as far up as possible.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #12
smileymomof3
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash

My personal opinion, if you want a crub seat, all together, I'd say 2 hrs. before the parade starts. This is what we do, and we go the first week of Sept. -so very slow time, and we've had problems finding a curb seat- especially where you could also see wishes an hour and a half before. We're heading back in a couple weeks, and the parade is at 9 with wishes at 10. I'm planning on us getting a seat on the curb at 7, and then I'll run to Casey's to get dinner, and we'll eat on the curb and ppl. watch.

Also, it doesn't really matter which side of Main St. you're on, but if you want to also be able to just stand up in your spot to watch wishes, then be as close as you can to Casey's (or Plaza ice cream on the other side) -you could also sit in the hub close to the castle somewhere, but I think there are many parts of that that don't actually have a curb (flat for wheelchairs strollers etc.)-plus the hub gets crazy crowded for wishes, so we like on main st., but as far up as possible.
Thanks so much for all this great info! I changed my dinner ADR to a breakfast so we can just do as you suggested and eat on the curb while waiting....it will give the kids something to do while they are waiting too when you find a spot, you just sit? You can leave your party there and go grab food? Sorry if this seems obvious!! It's our first trip and obviously I'm clueless on this lol :/
Old 08-10-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
tiggore91
Tiggore91

Just a heads up, you might be watching SpectroMagic instead of MSEP. Rumor is, SpectroMagic is coming back very soon.
tiggore91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:44 PM   #14
kerplop
Duck, duck, duck, duck GOOSE

If you want right on the curb I'd say 1.5-2 hours beforehand, which seems ludicrous I know. But we showed up about an hour before and the curbs were already filled up so we stood a row back. Most of them had been there 30-45 minutes before us and even then we had more people come and stand behind us.
Nov/Dec 2012 - Pop Century
Disneyland Vet (2-3 times a year 1979-2000)!
kerplop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:58 PM   #15
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileymomof3 View Post
Oh thank you for all the info! And yes, we are going to go on one of our MK days which is a Wednesday. I will plan on getting a spot at least an hour before then and anticipate it will be more crowded. Would the MVMCP parade be even less crowded because it is offered on more nights? Thanks
MVMCP parade is just as crowded. Most folks who are willing to pay $60 a head for party tickets want to see the parade. It's our favorite part of the party. Spots over in Frontierland are easier to come by though, as are spots for the second parade. But if you want to be curbside on Main Street, plan on investing some time staking out your spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockash View Post

Yep, I missed putting in my post the parade we were waiting for was at 9 PM. And at 7:15 we got the last curb spot in the hub, which doesn't fill as fast as the spots right along Main Street proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggore91 View Post
Just a heads up, you might be watching SpectroMagic instead of MSEP. Rumor is, SpectroMagic is coming back very soon.
I've heard rumors off and on. The latest I heard was spring 2013. I'd love for them to swap back for December. Maybe in time for the Fantasyland Grand Opening??????? Has anyone seen anything recently on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerplop View Post
If you want right on the curb I'd say 1.5-2 hours beforehand, which seems ludicrous I know. But we showed up about an hour before and the curbs were already filled up so we stood a row back. Most of them had been there 30-45 minutes before us and even then we had more people come and stand behind us.
Yep, that's absolutely consistent with our experience.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: