Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
happygirl
DIS Veteran

It only bothers me when athlete train in the USA and then go back to there home country to compete
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #17
StacyMarie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
What a weirdo! That being said, if he's representing the US, he should be waving the US flag. If he's representing Mexico, by all means wave the Mexican flag, not both. He's on the American team, fly the American flag.

Stacy Jay Natalee Sydnee
Disney's Pop Century August 2012 August 2011 Pop Century Disney's Polynesian August 2010 Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort August 2009 Grand Floridian - October 1997
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 10:53 AM   #18
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
BUT is there is a difference between a heritage and he was actually born in Mexico

Just wondering if anyone knows is there any other athlete to ever do something like this???
He chose to be an American citizen, so it is his heritage. My Grandparents were born in Germany But they became citizens and if asked would say they were American not German. Same difference. If he wants to be from Mexico become a Mexican citizen. Right now he is American of Mexican heritage.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

If he were carrying only the Mexican flag, it would bug me. But from that picture it looks like he is proudly displaying the American flag . We are all from somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Well, besides being kinda gross, its just plain bizarre!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
It only bothers me when athlete train in the USA and then go back to there home country to compete
Outside of an athletic scholarship, they are paying for their own training, so I don't see the big deal. Actually I don't see the big deal even with a scholarship since that is private money.

I also don't see the big deal if an American knows they won't qualify for the US team but can fall under another nation's flag and competes for that county. Maybe it irks the people in that country, but again, doesn't bother me.

ETA: Based on his pregame ritual, I wonder if he has OCD.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Robinrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_gordon View Post
Because people disagree with something means their "knickers are in a knot"? It would be a boring world if we all agreed with everything everyone did.
Disagreeing and knickers in a knot are two different things. I think the OP was referring to the FB response which was over the top angry.

The man is an American athlete who is proud of his heritage. So what? Why do some Americans think that anything that is not ALL them is ANTI them???? The only true Americans got ripped off for $24!

Old 08-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #22
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinrs View Post
Disagreeing and knickers in a knot are two different things. I think the OP was referring to the FB response which was over the top angry.

The man is an American athlete who is proud of his heritage. So what? Why do some Americans think that anything that is not ALL them is ANTI them???? The only true Americans got ripped off for $24!
Exactly
Old 08-10-2012, 11:02 AM   #23
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:

I don't care that he is proud if his heritage, and I certainly don't see it as anti-American, but when competing in the Olympics he isn't competing for his heritage, he was competing as an American and representing this country.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #24
Cannot_Wait_4Disney
Ok all you A cattle, get in the chute. Moooo. Moooo.
It has a kick. Otherwise, yummy yummy.
Onions rule!!!

Quote:
http://us.cnn.com/2012/08/10/opinion...html?hpt=hp_c2
Someone posted this on Facebook and made the comment

"I have no words to express my disgust with this "BEEPED OUT BAD WORD". "

I was thinking what is the big deal. Why can't you be proud of where you came from. It is obvious he isn't trying to disgrace the US but he also wants to remember where he came from.
What if it was a flag from canada or somewhere else would it be as much as a big deal???
It's clear to anyone with at least half a brain that isn't prejudiced, he loves the United States and wasn't attempting to dishonor it in any way. Other than the technical violation of flag code that every track athlete that medals does and which we rightly overlook rather than get miffed about, there's nothing wrong at all. And if the worst picture you have is the guy unfurling the American flag proudly and also holding the Mexican flag dangling, you've got nothing. But for some, the sight of anything Mexican brings out the hate like red capes bring out the bulls.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #25
bunkkinsmom
No 9, so it's all good
frankly I thought they were pretty goo

Quote:

My husband is Native American. Apache to be precise. If he won he would hold the American flag, not that of the Apache nation.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2865060

Childhood Trips: Every other year from age 4-14 offsiteAdultTrip:1995 offsiteFamily Trips: November 01 Coronado Springs (pre-kids): Jan 09 OKW Jan 10 OKW : Jan 11 OKW : Jan 12 POR: Jan 14 CSR
Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #26
Toad_Passenger
Wild Ride Dreamer

I see this as no different than my neighbor who flies the US Flag on his flag pole, with the Canadian flag flying underneath.

So long as he is proud of where he is now, I see no reason why he can't be proud of where he has come from.

Of course, I grew up playing hockey, and have known so many dual citizens that the US/Canada side-by-side thing is rather normal. Why can't the US and Mexican colors fly together too?

My WDW visits:
Ft. Wilderness Campground - 1986
Polynesian - 1989, 1991, 1998
Off-Site - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 2002 (Honeymoon), 2011
PO Riverside - 2003, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
Old 08-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #27
Bonnie151
DIS Veteran

Eh, it says he's a dual citizen. He probably feels as much a Mexican as he does an American. I'm a dual citizen. Being British doesn't take away from my being American and vice versa. He carried both flags so he didn't exactly snub the US.

Yes I can spell, but my iPad quite often thinks I'd rather type gibberish.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannot_Wait_4Disney View Post
It's clear to anyone with at least half a brain that isn't prejudiced, he loves the United States and wasn't attempting to dishonor it in any way. Other than the technical violation of flag code that every track athlete that medals does and which we rightly overlook rather than get miffed about, there's nothing wrong at all. And if the worst picture you have is the guy unfurling the American flag proudly and also holding the Mexican flag dangling, you've got nothing. But for some, the sight of anything Mexican brings out the hate like red capes bring out the bulls.
and that bottom line is why I asked if it was a flag of Canada or Switzerland or something not so controversial would it even be an issue.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

I have no problems with it. He is proud all parts that make him, him. His father's background in Mexico, gave him a better life in America.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #30
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
and that bottom line is why I asked if it was a flag of Canada or Switzerland or something not so controversial would it even be an issue.
I'd feel the same no matter what flag it is. If you are competing as a citizen of a country, then you display that flag, not the flag or flags of your heritage.
I don't believe the winning podium of the Olympics is the place to show your pride for your heritage, when you aren't competing for the country in which you were born. It would be the same if someone held up an American flag when competing for Mexico, Canada, Spain, etc. It just doesn't feel right to me.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: