Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

DLR Vet Planning Family's 1st WDW Trip! Now November 2012!!!!

I am 42 married to DH (46) for 15 years. We have 4 kids DS (13), DD (12), DD (10), and DS (7).

DH and I grew up in different areas of CA and spent our years doing the DL thing. No idea how many times we have been there. We have been AP holders and such.

We have lived in Arkansas for 6 years now and took the kids to DL for spring break in 2011. It was our youngest's first Disney trip ever and really the first one our younger daughter remembers too.

We went with both of my brothers and their families and had a great time. We only spent one day in each park and used Ridemax. It went great.

This trip to WDW we are going just with the immediate family. We are thinking about mid-Sept 2013. UPDATE! Finance changes and school days missed have made us decide to move the trip to Thanksgiving week 2012! So excited!

I've become obsessed already with reading all things WDW!

Spring Break 2014 DLR PTR - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post50753138
November 2012 - 1st WDW Trip after a lifetime of DLR trips No Trip Report - But here is our Photo Book link
http://share.shutterfly.com/share/re...AatGrNq0bOWbtg

Last edited by momjeeps; 08-13-2012 at 10:08 PM.
momjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Accomodations Plan

NEVERMIND THIS POST. ALL THE READING OF ONSITE EXPERIENCES ON THIS BOARD HAS TAINTED MY ORIGINAL THOUGHTS. YOU ALL ARE A BAD INFLUENCE!

Well, its a long way off. But here are my thoughts. I'm a major budget shopper. They way I figure it, the more I save now, the more I'll have for another trip later!

So I've been combing through threads and thinking about off-site vs. on-site and weighing the pros and cons and our families desires.

Off Site Pros

1. Approximately $2,000 savings for our family of six because we would need a suite on-site.

2. Laundry, pack lighter.

3. Kitchen, savings on food.

4. Space! Three bedrooms!

On Site Pros

1. EMH

2. The whole Disney experience

3. Free parking

Well, you can see, I'm finding more pros in the off-site option for our family. However, IF there was a free dining option that may change my opinion before trip time.

But so far I'm looking at 3 bedroom condos at Windsor Hills.

Anyone have any other off-site input? Or feel free to promote your thinking on the whole on-site experience.[/COLOR]

Last edited by momjeeps; 07-25-2012 at 09:32 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Meet the family!

OK, I think I have enough posts under my belt now that I can post pics.

First off, here is a pic of all of my kids with two of their cousins at DCA in Spring 2011. The little blonde and older red head are the cousins. The rest are mine!

20110324-05 Cousins by momjeeps, on Flickr

Here is a favorite photo of mine from from DCA. It includes DH and are youngest DD10 (9 in pic).

20110324-01 Dad and Aimee by momjeeps, on Flickr

I usually stay behind the camera. But here is one of DH and I during the road trip to California in Spring 2011. Pardon the comfy driving clothes and funky hairdo. If this is the best pic I've got to share, perhaps I ought to spend more time on the other side of the camera next trip!

20110318-07 Rock City by momjeeps, on Flickr

Here are a few other favorite pics from our Spring 2011 trip.

Another one of the kids our first day there at DTD.

20110322-15 Disney Vault by momjeeps, on Flickr

Waiting to get on Small World.

20110323-16 Wait for Small World by momjeeps, on Flickr

Meeting Mickey for the first time!

20110323-32 Aimee and Ryan with the Mouse by momjeeps, on Flickr

Sitting up front on Mark Twain. The two on the ends are my girls.

20110323-48 Girls Ride Mark Twain by momjeeps, on Flickr

"Driving" Mark Twain!

20110323-49 Boys Drive Mark Twain by momjeeps, on Flickr

Someone sat down too long in the evening...

20110323-54 Sat too Long by momjeeps, on Flickr

OK, Gotta go to work. Will post more later!

Last edited by momjeeps; 07-02-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #4
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Oh No, the pics didn't work! I'll fix later. Have to go to work. REALLY!

Fixed! Yeah!

Last edited by momjeeps; 07-02-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Our Own Disney Commercial

Here is a link to a video of our kids when they found out we were going to Disneyland way back when.

I found this when I was working on the photos and couldn't resist posting a link.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vrraar/5372783127/
Old 07-03-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

So today DH and I were looking at the WDW website and I was showing him my excel spreadsheet with budget scenarios.

We are thinking about going ahead and booking a cabin at Fort Wilderness. That way we are onside and whether or not the free food plan becomes an option we are set.

Has anyone stayed in the cabins? I'd love some input. I think I'll go surf around on the DIS boards and see what I can find on the cabins.

Spring Break 2014 DLR PTR - http://www.disboards.com/showthread....8#post50753138
November 2012 - 1st WDW Trip after a lifetime of DLR trips No Trip Report - But here is our Photo Book link
Old 07-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
midwesternbelle
Midwestern Princess meets Southern Belle

Nice PTR! The wilderness cabins are AMAZING... I dream of staying there one day!
If i may ask... when are you going? Some times are better than others if your hoping for free dining.
Ariel

Ariel (Me) Mom Dad Derek
5 Trips To The World (And Counting):
2000 [Disney Institute] ~ 2006 [Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge] ~ 2008 [Downtown Disney Hilton] ~ 2011 [Old Key West Villas] ~ 2012 [Coranado Springs] ~ 2012 [Wilderness Lodge]
2012 Holiday Trip Report:
TR:NOT ONE MORE BITE: A trip of magically deluxe proPORTIONS!

Last edited by midwesternbelle; 07-07-2012 at 06:29 PM.
midwesternbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 AM   #8
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesternbelle
Nice PTR! The wilderness cabins are AMAZING... I dream of staying there one day!
If i may ask... when are you going? Some times are better than others if your hoping for free dining.
Ariel
My first follower and helper! Thanks! Now I know I'm not just talking to myself. Ha ha. Anyway, we are planning on maybe Sept of 2013 at the latest. I really want to go when the crowds are low our first time.

Old 07-05-2012, 12:43 AM   #9
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

First Look at ADRs and Park Plans

OK, I'm sure this will change a gazillion times before I get even remotely close to ADR booking time. Since that's like almost a year away! But hey, this is fun!

Changes Version #1 - 08/01/2012

Resort of Choice is Cabins at Fort Wilderness, hopefully with Free Dining

Plan is to Arrive Noonish on Saturday, Sept 14, 2013
Explore a little and get our bearings until check-in time.
ADR - Hoop-Dee-Doo 1st Choice, Mickey's BBQ 2nd choice.
Get to bed at decent hour.

Sunday, Sept 15
Rope Drop at MK!
CS for lunch
ADR - Crystal Palace

Monday, Sept 16
EP
CS - 1
ADR - Akershus

Tuesday, Sept 17
AK
CS for lunch

ADR - Whispering Canyon

Wednesday, Sept 18
Rest Day, Explore, Pool, DTD
ADR - Ohana, late breakfast
Kids CS at our resort
Parents - Date Night!
ADR Raglan Road OOP (Save TS for when with whole family)

Thursday, Sept 19
HS
1 CS meal
ADR Mama Melrose (I think the pizza sounds good. Any opinions?)

Friday, Sept 20
MK
CS for lunch
Ride Monorail over to CR for ADR at Chef Mickey's

Saturday, Sept 21
Pick a park as a family and use up snacks and CS. Pack and get ready for tomorrow's sad departure.

I can't wait!!!

Except now I'm noticing I don't have Le Cellier on there anywhere... Hmmm... See, changing things already. LOL

Maybe we do Le Cellier on our EP day and cancel Whispering Canyon?? Or we just leave something to come back to

Last edited by momjeeps; 08-01-2012 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Lastest thoughts...
Old 07-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #10
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

My latest thoughts.

I'm still leaning toward the cabin. I've only read great reviews from others on DIS. Even read one this morning from a previous Deluxe visitor that tried it and loved the space.

It looks like a really good value for our family of six, five of which are "adults" by Disney standards. Not the cheapest though. If FDP is an option, and with our dates I think there is a good chance it will be, we could go with QS and book two separate rooms at l AsMu and save quite a bit. But I really think before my kids are all teens it'd be fun to have more character meals.

AsMu option is only about $350 more than my off-site option, so I think we are a definite for on-site now.

I also asked my DDs about princesses and I think we are going to skip Cindy's and do two other TS instead. Probably LeCellier and ??? Hmmm....

Old 07-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

We are watching our 2011 version of the Disney Planning DVD and DH said, "maybe we need to go for two weeks!" LOL

I doubt it.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #12
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Priced 2 weeks. Basically the second week would cost about 1/2 what the first week cost. But at the time we are thinking about we'd have the kids out of school. Two weeks is too long. So unless we go a different time of year that is out of the question.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #13
midwesternbelle

Alright! I have missed a lot so let me recap all my thoughts:

Firstly, Your kids are adorable! So cuteee!
Also september is an AWESOEME time to go especially if your hoping for free dining... however sometimes there are some 30-40% room discounts in september which would be a better deal than free dining... so if you have the option price them out to see which saves you more!

Two weeks would be awesome, but i understand with young kids 2 weeks is a long time to take off school (although i am sure your children wouldn't mind)... and disney prices are typically WAY higher when most kids are off because that is when the parks are busiest... In september you should be able to get a lot done in a week.... even though you could spend a lifetime in WDW and never see anything.

As for the possible ADR's: Cindy's Royal Table is a MUST for 1st timers in the world so I'm glad thats on the list... Whispering Canyon is also a hoot with young kids (and the young at heart too... i can't lie... I'm 17 and its one of my favorites because of the atmosphere) and Hoop-Dee-Doo is the COOLEST experience. The only suggestion i would make is to maybe try Artist Point instead of Reglan Road... don't get me wrong i hear amazing things about RR but Artist Point has a much better "Date Night" feel that Reglan Road Irish Pub. Plus its alot closer to the Wildy Cabins.

Loving the PTR so far! Cannot wait for more!
Ariel

Ariel (Me) Mom Dad Derek
2000 [Disney Institute] ~ 2006 [Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge] ~ 2008 [Downtown Disney Hilton] ~ 2011 [Old Key West Villas] ~ 2012 [Coranado Springs] ~ 2012 [Wilderness Lodge]

Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #14
midwesternbelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by momjeeps View Post
My first follower and helper! Thanks! Now I know I'm not just talking to myself. Ha ha. Anyway, we are planning on maybe Sept of 2013 at the latest. I really want to go when the crowds are low our first time.

Hahaha! I know, i started a PTR a week or so ago and for the first 4 days i was talking to myself too. Its ok though! I am here and i bring plenty of DISlove!
Ariel

Ariel (Me) Mom Dad Derek

Old 07-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
momjeeps
DIS Veteran

Welcome back!

I'm just crazy enough to go in talking to myself. But it's nice to have a follower too. Hee Hee.

My choice for Raglan for date nite is for DH. He love the Irish atmosphere stuff. I know he will love it.

Still not sure about Cinderella though. The girls have informed me that they are a little old for princesses.

Might replace Cinderella with two other TS.

I've been reading lots of reviews and I know we are going to need another trip to do the things we miss.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: