Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando

Clearing bus seats for wheelchair/ecv?

If a bus is mostly full but no standing passengers or previously loaded wheelchairs/ecvs, do bus drivers clear seated passengers to make room if needed?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckimion View Post
If a bus is mostly full but no standing passengers or previously loaded wheelchairs/ecvs, do bus drivers clear seated passengers to make room if needed?
They are supposed to, but all do not. It depends upon the driver.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #3
deegack
DIS Veteran

Don't count on it. They may ask people in the folding seats to get up but they won't make anyone.
deegack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Agree with the other posters.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

I--and others--have not been able to board because people would not vacate the ECV/WC areas of the bus.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

This has not happened to me many times, but when it has, I have been asked to wait for the next bus.
dvc one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
livndisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckimion View Post
Are you asking if the driver makes people move after they have started loading?
livndisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
dvc one day
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by livndisney View Post
Are you asking if the driver makes people move after they have started loading?
I did not think of this. I read the OP as if the bus showed up with people on it. Like happens when a bus stops at multiple resorts.

If you show up after the bus has started loading, I would think protocol dictates that you wait for the next bus. Could be wrong, but that's how I have always thought it worked.

I have waited for the next bus in both scenarios, though. (I am rarely in a hurry, so it's not as big deal for me as it can be for others)

Last edited by dvc one day; 08-10-2012 at 06:19 PM.
dvc one day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I"m reading this as (example) you are staying at the All Star Movie Resort
the bus picks up people at All Star Sports then All Star Music then it drives up & you are in line to ride - they should make people move out of the seats, those seats say so

now if everyone is leaving MK, everyone gets on board then you drive up then sorry you should wait on the next bus
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #10
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando

I believe I have my answer but my thoughts are aimed at our trip next month and staying at CSR. I paid for water view and requested near the first pickup for the parks. (Stop #2 at Casitas 4). Knowing requests are just that, I really wouldn't object if we ended up on the other side on the resort at Cabanas but worry about being among the last to board the bus after it has picked up the rest of the resort.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Unless the folks sitting in the handicapped seats on the buses are handicapped, shouldn't they move if a handicapped (wheelchair or not) person shows up and needs the seat(s)?

I know some disabilities are not visible, but I would assume common courtesy would prevail if the seats were needed and folks were simply using the them since they were empty.

At least when the aisles are clear and folks can move around, I am not sure why the drivers would let anyone sit there if they were needed for a reason..
Old 08-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #12
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
Unless the folks sitting in the handicapped seats on the buses are handicapped, shouldn't they move if a handicapped (wheelchair or not) person shows up and needs the seat(s)?

I know some disabilities are not visible, but I would assume common courtesy would prevail if the seats were needed and folks were simply using the them since they were empty.

At least when the aisles are clear and folks can move around, I am not sure why the drivers would let anyone sit there if they were needed for a reason..
Because the drivers are not seat police if their is no wheelchairs when a guest boards they can seat at any seat they want. Keeping in mind there are signs clearly posted saying you must give up these seats so the driver really dose not have to say anything. When a wheelchair needs to board then The driver will tell the guest to move since most gust don't want to follow posted signs or rules. The drivers don't want to get into confrontation with the guest so that why some won't ask because guest like to complain to get free things and the drivers don't want to get in trouble.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #13
CarolAnnC
Caught Smuggling Jello Shot Syringes From PI
Likes to shoot off her glock in chat
Goin' to the Chapel

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
Because the drivers are not seat police if their is no wheelchairs when a guest boards they can seat at any seat they want. Keeping in mind there are signs clearly posted saying you must give up these seats so the driver really dose not have to say anything. When a wheelchair needs to board then The driver will tell the guest to move since most gust don't want to follow posted signs or rules. The drivers don't want to get into confrontation with the guest so that why some won't ask because guest like to complain to get free things and the drivers don't want to get in trouble.
Hmmm, actually Federal Law does require the driver does say something to those able bodied individuals sitting in the handicapped seats so a person with a disability can sit there. If the bus is filled they do not have to ask them to get off, but they are required to ask them to vacate the handicapped seating. It is not always a wheelchair, but as we all know there are handicaps not visible to the eye that require folks to use this seating.

The people do not have to vacate the seating according to the law, but the transit operator can actually make a policy requiring them to do so. I am not sure if Disney has done this or not, though.

Whether the drivers do or do not ask, well that is the employer's (Disney's) issue to deal with. And if they do not deal with it, then the laws are written to ensure that this occurs.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 PM   #14
disney david
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnnC View Post
Hmmm, actually Federal Law does require the driver does say something to those able bodied individuals sitting in the handicapped seats so a person with a disability can sit there. If the bus is filled they do not have to ask them to get off, but they are required to ask them to vacate the handicapped seating. It is not always a wheelchair, but as we all know there are handicaps not visible to the eye that require folks to use this seating.

The people do not have to vacate the seating according to the law, but the transit operator can actually make a policy requiring them to do so. I am not sure if Disney has done this or not, though.

Whether the drivers do or do not ask, well that is the employer's (Disney's) issue to deal with. And if they do not deal with it, then the laws are written to ensure that this occurs.

i never said they didn't have to by law just said they have signs and they are only required to ask guest in the seat with the wheelchair tie down points. the other seat yes they could ask but can not make anyone move because of the other law that forbids disney and the driver asking if you have a disability so they have to be carefully of who they ask. that why i stated they by federal law they have posted signs warning you about those seats so that should be enough but your right they also have to tell guest to move. They post signs on the other seats asking to give up the seats to guest who need them. they have the same signs posted on every disney bus also on every single public transportation has by federal law. If you see the driver not ask then ask the driver for their manager and speak to them but most drivers do ask.

If the ada and dot inspected disney transportation buses they would find them in full compliance of all federal laws.

Bring back Walter on the podcast we miss him
CHIP AND DALE ARE A LIST CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by disney david; 08-14-2012 at 01:06 PM.
disney david is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:30 PM   #15
pintamino
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney david View Post
i never said they didn't have to by law just said they have signs and they are only required to ask guest in the seat with the wheelchair tie down points. the other seat yes they could ask but can not make anyone move because of the other law that forbids disney and the driver asking if you have a disability so they have to be carefully of who they ask. that why i stated they by federal law they have posted signs warning you about those seats so that should be enough but your right they also have to tell guest to move. They post signs on the other seats asking to give up the seats to guest who need them. they have the same signs posted on every disney bus also on every single public transportation has by federal law. If you see the driver not ask then ask the driver for their manager and speak to them but most drivers do ask.

If the ada and dot inspected disney transportation buses they would find them in full compliance of all federal laws.
Plus, say I'm sitting down. I'm not "handicapped", but I do have a bad ankle that makes standing on a moving bus uncomfortable - I've fallen before doing this. Should the driver ask me to move even though I'm not in a wheelchair? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: