Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #76
stormer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magalex View Post
Disappointing...Lion King is for all ages..Avatar is not Disney & not for all ages. I had issues when they took the Tarzan show away. It was upbeat!
I agree. We love Lion King. Tarzan show was awesome, we still miss it!
October 1994 Port Orleans / Oct. 1996 Caribbean Beach Resort / Oct. 1999 Off site / Oct. 2004 Contemporary Resort / Oct. 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge / Aug.2007 Port Orleans Riverside / April 2008 Saratoga Springs Villas & Wilderness Lodge Villas/ Oct. 2008 Old Key West / Feb. 2009 Polynesian Resort / Aug. 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2010 Carribbean Beach Resort / Aug. 2010 Bay Lake Tower / Feb. 2011 Grand Floridian and Beach Club Villas / Aug. 2011 Boardwalk Villas / Aug. 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village/ Feb. 2013 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2013 Boardwalk Villas / Feb. 2014 Coronado Springs / Aug. 2014 Old Key West
stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #77
CentralFloridian99
The guy who will ask all the celebrities if they will be involved in Episode VII

If its gonna be relocated, I'll be ok. HOWEVER, if it's closing permanently, I'm going to be MAD!!!!

The force will be with you, always.
CentralFloridian99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #78
Moomduck1
DIS Veteran

Not at all happy about Avatar to begin with, now it's even worse! The Lino King show is so good!! Although, Hunchback of Notre Dame was my fave.
Boardwalk Port Orleans French Quarter Art of Animation
Dolphin

And this is for DD...
Moomduck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:41 PM   #79
lustergirl
DIS Veteran

Will be sadly missed by this individual. I always enjoyed this show.. So colorful and imaginative.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #80
BlakeNJ
DIS Veteran

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just don't get the Avatar thing. I thought the movie was good, but certainly not a movie for my 4 and 7 yo. Everything a WDW relates in someway to a movie--a movie I would let my kids see. Avatar is certainly not one of them! With the removal (or so said) of FOTLK, it's just another reason for our family to skip this park
Old 08-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #81
FirstTimeDisneyVisit
Mouseketeer

i hope this is not true ! i have only seen it once and i am looking forward to seeing it again ! I absolutely love this show !

September 2011 - All Star Sports
September 2012 - Coronado Springs Resort
September 2013 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

FirstTimeDisneyVisit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM   #82
Hmaries4
Earning My Ears

I'm just going to hope that if it's true, that they will end up moving it before we get there in Feb and not cancel it. We haven't gotten to see it and I was really hoping to show it to the kids on our next trip.
Hmaries4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM   #83
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Since nobody else has mentioned this...

How do we know this is actually going to happen?
Because a Bus Driver told us it was!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLodgeLizard View Post
So, when they were looking at the AK map to find a place for Avatarland, did someone accidentally put their coffee cup on top of Dinoland? How else was Dinoland spared?
Easy... Dinoland was part of the original plans (even if the 2nd half was kinda done on the cheap) and take the full "land" space. Camp M/M on the other hand was a last minute quick addition to the park in a small part of the space designated for Beastly Kingdom in an attempt to provide a place for M&G's and to try and add more for people to do in the park. It was never designed or intentioned as a permanent addition to the park.

It's pretty much always been assumed that the space Camp M/M occupies would be utilized whenever the 'mythical creatures' land was eventually added to the park as originally intended. It's only been in the past year however that we've come to learn that the Avatar properties and it's Pandora planet would fill that "Mythical Creature" slot that's been missing in AK. (There is a reason one of the parking lot sections is named 'Unicorn', and there is a dragon on the official park Logo).

Honestly... I don't have a problem with this. Rumors have swirled for years of FoTLK relocating, and with the show's popularity, I highly doubt this is the last time we'll see the show. Even if the existing theater closes, For all we know, the total timeframe for the show's closure could be within the realm of a standard attraction/theater refurb.

As for the new land.... I've stated it before, and I'll say it again. I personally think it's wrong to look at it and refer to it as "AvatarLand". It's not the silly Dances with Smurfs movie/storyline that made the licensing a smart move. It was the planet, Pandora, and the incredibly indepth and detailed ecosystem that James Cameron created for his movie. This Ecosystem is both beautiful to look at, and pretty accurate in it's representation of 'the circle of life' with all sorts of plants and animals on the alien planet. (Much better than most alien planets with it's 'insert cutesy alien here, big mean alien there' look we get with many sci-fi movies).

With the work Cameron already did on the planet's ecosystem, Disney Imagineers can put their energy into creating the experiences for the guest, instead of needing to first spend a lot of time/effort creating the setting and backstory in which to place those experiences.

Just looking at What Disney is capable of, when they put their minds to it, I can quite easily picture an area of AK that blends perfectly with the park's existing look/feel.... as we transition seemlessly from the jungle growth around the Tree of Life and Discover Island, into the jungles of Pandora. At night, the fiber optic and other lighting effects within this new Pandora section of the park would come to life creating an entirely new, different, and exciting atmosphere all around you..... And for the park as a whole, the addition would create an opportunity to provide more experiences which could make the park's later operation viable after the animal based attractions close.... as well as a perfect location for them to fill one of the expectations that many guests feel is lacking at AK... The 'Grand Finale' show to end the night which the other 3 parks have. The Animals living at the park mean that pyrotechnics cannot be used for a nightly fireworks show, But Pandora's existing look at night with the glowing lights thru everything, Would make the new Pandora section of AK the PERFECT location to finally bring us an East Coast version of the Worlds of Color show.

There is a TON of potential here if things are done right, and since it's unlikely that FoTLK will be closed permanently instead of relocated, I'm willing to deal with a bit of disappointment in it's potentially being down while relocated due to what I know could be coming in it's current location.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #84
melancholywings
How do you prepare for a bank full of nuns?
'I'm thinking of a disney character'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeNJ View Post
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I just don't get the Avatar thing.
I'm with you. I don't understand the appeal unless Disney is trying to get them to foot some of the costs for rides they are planning on themeing differently at a later point..say to Marvel. It feels as award a theme as the dino carnival.
melancholywings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #85
Claire-Bear
DIS Veteran

I like the avatar plan. In the film, Pandora is a peaceful planet where all species greatly respect each other and the planet they live on. It is also very pretty. I think the theme fits perfectly with AK, which is meant to be focused towards nature and preservation.

I do hope they don't close FOTL for long to move it, if this goes ahead.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #86
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Hattered View Post
From Screamscape this morning:

Confirmed - (8/10/12) The latest buzz from the Rhinos is that the Festival of the Lion King show is expected to close in January to make way for Avatar. The long term plan is to move to into a new theater somewhere, but it sounds like the show will close down completely long before this happens.
Here they go again, destroying another Original. Now, I hate Avatarland even more.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:30 PM   #87
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
As for the new land.... I've stated it before, and I'll say it again. I personally think it's wrong to look at it and refer to it as "AvatarLand". It's not the silly Dances with Smurfs movie/storyline that made the licensing a smart move. It was the planet, Pandora, and the incredibly indepth and detailed ecosystem that James Cameron created for his movie. . . . . . .
Well said. One can do much more with a themed environment than just recreate the first movie that used it.

But then, this is the internet - never let a rational viewpoint get in the way of a good rant.
Quote:
.... as well as a perfect location for them to fill one of the expectations that many guests feel is lacking at AK... The 'Grand Finale' show to end the night which the other 3 parks have. The Animals living at the park mean that pyrotechnics cannot be used for a nightly fireworks show, But Pandora's existing look at night with the glowing lights thru everything, Would make the new Pandora section of AK the PERFECT location to finally bring us an East Coast version of the Worlds of Color show.
Also note that given the location at the opposite end of the park from the safari, *most* of the animals are a good distance away from where this area would be. That will help with putting together a large-scale production.

I was not a fan of the movie, but I am very much looking forward to "Pandora - a Journey into James Cameron's 'Avatar'" (my prediction for the actual name of the area)
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #88
Senator Tressel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
I was not a fan of the movie, but I am very much looking forward to "Pandora - a Journey into James Cameron's 'Avatar'" (my prediction for the actual name of the area)
Catchy.
Senator Tressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:38 PM   #89
ftballfan7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2taylorandemily View Post
FOLK is the only reason we go to AK!!!!!!! I wonder how attendance will be affected for this stupid decision!!!! Only time will tell, but I can tell you, we probably won't go back after our two trips this year. I'd rather pay a bit more and add Water Parks!
Looks like a smart decision (as it relates to you anyway), they just got you to pay a bit more and add water parks!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #90
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Tressel View Post
Catchy.
Yup.

PaJiJCA, start learning the acronym now!
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: