Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #391
Thumper_Man
DDC 684
Do we go left or to the second start on the right, straight on til morning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebo View Post
mike, a great chapter again, but wow, a 40 dollar appetizer tray and you don't mind the price? Boy, i really must be a cheap ***turd. Boy, i can't wait to go there, i hope i hope i hope we can rent points and stay at the grand cali, i think it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkondz View Post
i know nebo flinched at that... But if it's enough for 4 people, that's not bad.

Don't mind him, though. He fell on his head, ya know.
Quote:
i'm still flinching over that,, and i thoguht there was only two of them. No, i never buy into the little comments on menus next to the items that say, "serves 4, or serves 6", usually it's never enough for all of you. Especiall,,, pizza, "serves 4" yeah,,, right,, i can eat the thing by myself and you want me to split it with 3 other people?
If we would've minded the price, we wouldn't have ordered it.

This platter was really a lot of food though. 4-chesseburger sliders, about 6 pieces each of the buffalo and bbq wings, 4 chicken strips, 4 riblets (about 3 ribs to each riblet), and a big bowl of artichoke dip with chips. If you factor the price, it was about $20 per person for the 2 of us. So overall, the amount we got for what we paid was really a good value. We had a refrigerator in our room. If we were going back to our room right after lunch, we would've taken the leftovers and snacked on them later.

Now get a family of 4, take for example Ponzi's family, this would've been a meal for all 4 of them. In that case, it would've been $10 a person. Now a family with 2 teenage boys, you may have had to order them each one.
Old 10-16-2012, 01:52 PM   #392
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

FANTASMIC Ending to a Fantastic Day.

Welcome to Fantasmic. Tonight, our friend and host Mickey Mouse uses his vivid imagination to create magical imagery for all to enjoy. Nothing is more wonderful than the imagination, for in a moment, you can experience a beautiful fantasy; or an exciting adventure! But Beware! Nothing is more powerful than the imagination. For it can also expand your greatest fears into an overwhelming nightmare. Are the powers of Mickeyís incredible imagination strong enough, and bright enough, to withstand the evil forces that invade Mickeyís dream? Youíre about to find out. For we now invite you to join Mickey and experience FANTASMIC! A journey beyond your wildest imagination.
(Quote provided above is from the opening verse of the Fantasmic Musical Attraction showing at Disney theme parks).

After our quick tour of DCA, we decided its time to head back to DL. The time was getting close to 7 and we wanted to see, rather we had no choice but to see the 9pm show of Fantasmic. The shuttle we came in on stops running a half hour of the park closes, so seeing the 10:30pm show would be cutting it close for us to get back to the shuttle on time. Park closes at 11pm and itís about a 20 minute show. We didnít want to run the risk of missing the shuttle so we figured best to play it safe.

On our way out of DCA, we asked the CM if the branding iron was good and hot this time. We wanted to make sure the stamp on our hand would not come off this time and that it would get us through DLís gate. One scolding a day was enough. We get to DL and get to the gate. Hand the CM our tickets and show her our new branding. Phew! Didnít come off between DCA to here. Never know what can happen in that 2-minute walk. As we enter DL, we notice there were definitely more people. They probably all had the same plan we did. See Fantasmic tonight because it may be the only chance they get.

Instead of walking through Main Street, we decided to hop on the train and see if we can beat some of the crowds there. Wouldíve worked out great except some blind, bald guy threw up all over the place. Bet he was suffering from a concussion and shouldíve just stayed back at the hotel.

Oops. Wrong TR.

Well actually it was some poor kid got sick in line. There are 2 separate lines to get on the train. One to the left and one to the right. Well the poor kid got sick in the line to the right. So the CMís closed of this area and had us all move to the left. About a minute or so later, they realize that maybe they can open part of the lane. Or not. About a minute before the train pulled in, they finally opened the right lane. Another CM (armed with a big can of industrial strength lysol, paper towels and trash bag) was sent to clean up the mess. While cleaning up the mess, the CMís decided it would be safe to partially open up the right side. So they sent some of the crowd back to the right. I wish they would make up my mind which way I need to go to get on the train.

Lady H and I hop on the train and get off in New Orleans Square. Same place we boarded earlier to go to Toontown. Itís now a little after 7pm and you can already see people staking out real estate. Unlike Fantasmic over at DHS that has its own seating arena; Fantasmic is shown at DL on Tom Sawyerís Island in Frontierland. The premium viewing area was roped off and they had armed Yellow Jackets waiting to shoot anyone that dared cross under the ropes. You needed to pay thousands of dollars to sit in this premium viewing area. Well $1k may be a little steep, but I think it was about $65 a person; so close enough. I called to see if I can get this set up for Lady H and myself, but once I heard the price and told her how much it cost, we figured weíll just get there early and wait it out. I know you get a box of desserts and for that price, I better get some free Fast Passes thrown in as well. Now for our upcoming WDW trip, I booked the Wishes Dessert Party and didnít even spend $65 for the 2 of us.

Anyways, people are already standing up along the railings that werenít being guarded. Across the walkway is a wall where people are already starting to sit. We see a couple of empty spots and decide to grab them and wait 2 long hours.

Right now youíre all thinking we were nuts. No way would you wait 2 hours. By this time, the lines were long for the rides and we were starting to feel a little dragged out. Thought we would sit and rest a while.

It had been a while since we had lunch. Even after the huge platter, we were starting to get a little hungry and thirsty. I set out to get us a couple of drinks while Lady H held our spot tight with both arms. Which was a good thing. Some lady was trying to move in and take control. Lady H was having none of it and threatened to use her pepper spray to keep them away. This worked for a little while, but not too long. Lady H would tell me about it once I came back with a couple of sodas and Ice Cream. Mickey Bar for her and Nestle Cookie Sandwich for me. Now weíve heard of people watching was fun to help pass the time, so we did. While munching on our ice cream, weíre looking around and I spot an open area right behind us. Itís a little area and part of it was fenced off to keep people out of the bushes and trees, but accessible for people to get to. Itís higher up and not directly off the walking path which we were currently on. I tell Lady H Iím going to see what the view is like from here. I go and examine the area. No trees in the way if we stand here. Donít look like itís a handicapped area as I didnít see any signs. I think it will do. I come back for Lady H and our bags, and we head off to our new viewing spot. No sooner did we move and stalker lady comes in and takes the spots. She had more people with her now. Think she was assembling the troops for an all out war. No matter, she wonít be there long anyways.

Now in our new viewing spot, many people come by and check it out; but many donít stick around. We thought for sure our little area would start filling up quick. Once people realize the show lights might be in the way, they go off in search of a new spot. Lady H is starting to get a little cranky from standing up and now wants a salty snack. Theyíre selling popcorn close by and I give her money to go and get us a bucket. First she says she needs to find a restroom to make room for more beer tonight when we get back to the room. On her way back she stops for popcorn and sheís happy once again. Plus the sun is going down and itís at least starting to feel a little cooler. Not as hot as itís been throughout the day.

Soon itís starting to get close to showtime and more YJís are buzzing about.
Theyíre busy building their nest and roping off part of the walk way to make a path for through traffic. Theyíre evening scaring away the people who were sitting in our previous spot, including the lady that moved in after we left. I tell Lady H, ďitís a good thing we moved. We wouldíve been evicted and we didnít even get a warning letter.Ē They werenít allowing anyone to sit on the wall, which made it better for Lady H and myself. When we first picked out this new spot, we knew as long as people stayed sitting down, we could see over them. Only way they could block our view is if they stood up on the wall. Since the YJís are telling them they have to move and canít sit here, we now feel that we have a premium viewing spot and didnít have to pay the enormous fees.

Hereís the YJís in action. Notice the yellow shirt with the black strip. They even look like YJís. The yellow thing in their hand is their stinger. They would zap you if you didnít do what they told you to.

This yellow jacket was sent to keep people away from sitting on the wall. Notice the man in the white shirt and the lady sitting next to him in the purple shirt.
Now you see them.

Now you don't.

Soon the show lights start to lift to get out of the way of peopleís view and Fantasmic starts. Our view wouldíve been spectacular and for the most part it still was, except the little girl who sat on her dadís shoulder and pretty much appeared in our whole video. Overall we still had a pretty decent view.

I took our camcorder along with us to tape the show. Which really helped because now I can do a better comparison.

In this corner, fighting out the East Coast. DHS/Fantasmic
And in this corner, fighting out of the West Coast: DL/Fantasmic.

And the winner is: Itís a draw.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, a draw. This is another one the main attractions you need to see for yourself. If youíve seen the Fantasmic over at DHS, you will find many similarities over at DL. There are some noticeable differences though and to me, each show is unique in itís own way.

First difference is DHS is more on a hilltop setting where over at DL its more of a cottage type setting. Each one starts off the same. You have Mickey starting off the show in his tuxedo.

Followed by the Fantasmic movie projection, flower projections, the human flower, and the monkeys in the boats. One difference here is along with the monkeys, they have the large snake as well. This snake goes more with the theme and not so much after Mickey like over at DHS. At DHS, the snake is longer and more scary looking.

Here's the human flower and the head that would appear in the video.

Then we get more into the projections and they are very different. Over at DHS, you see many projections of the Disney animated movies to where at DL you have more projections from the Fantasmic movie. Now something different over at DL is the Fantasmic projections are stopped and you get Pinocchio and some lady marionettes on strings dancing.

After itís the same projection of the whale swallowing Mickey at both DHS & DL. When the whale finishes swallowing Mickey whole, this is where it gets really different. Over at DHS you have CMís acting out scenes from Pocahantas. Over at DL, you have CMís on the pirate ship acting out scenes from Peter Pan.

Here comes the hook, hook, hook.

Pan vs Hook

Peter Pan and Hook sail off and then it's time for the ball.

Next comes the evil queen from Snow White turning herself into the mean ol witch and calling up the forces of evil.

Over at DHS, you see many projections of all the evil characters from the animated movies. At DL, the only evil character you see the most is Ursula. Soon Maleficent shows up and turns into the dragon.

Now I would have to say that DLís dragon is just a little better. The dragon looks more like the dragon Maleficent turns into in Sleeping Beauty. The dragon over at DHS not so much. I was a little disappointed with the dragon though. Iíve seen videos showing it breathing out this big stream of fire from it's mouth. That didnít happen tonight. Donít know if DL no longer does this, or if they need to do repairs. Either way the dragon was still cool to see.

Of course Mickey saves the day with his sword and defeats Maleficent.

Tink comes out and spreads pixie dust and brightens up everything again. Mickey now appears as his alter ego, Steamboat Willie, along with the other characters on different style ships. DL uses the Mark Twain (similar to MKís Liberty Belle), and DHS has more a ship that resembles the boat from Steamboat Willie.

Steamboat Willie

Now this Mickey Mouse is someone I wouldnít want to mess around with. He has one powerful imagination and is very magical. Once again he reappears as another alter ego, a wizard this time. Starting to wonder if Jaleel White plays Mickey. Remember all his alter egos in Family Matters? Fireworks are going off and DL also has a laser light show that goes along with the end of the show. Didnít see this at DHS. One more magic puff and big blast of fireworks, and Mickey is back in his tux.

Mickey says, ďSome Imagine Huh,Ē and the show ends. The endings to each Fantasmic are very similar as well. Since each show is very similar in content, with a few changes, this is why I canít really say one is better than the other.

Fantasmic is over and we wait for the crowds to start clearing out. Itís time for the running of the bulls. We stayed waiting for the crowds to push, kick and shove their way to the front of the park and the exits. Once we saw it was safe we started making our way out to the exits as well. There is only thing that will stop all these people dead in their tracks. Fireworks. About 5 minutes after Fantasmic had ended they started up. We stepped off to the side to enjoy the show. I stood behind Lady H, wrapped my arms around her and enjoyed the moment. It felt like the fireworks were going off for us in celebration of our anniversary; and celebrating the end of a magical day over at DL. What a perfect ending to a perfect day.

Soon after the fireworks were done, we were pretty much done. We head to the shuttle area so we can head back to the resort. Shuttle area wasnít too packed. Well at least not the shuttle we were taking. The line to catch the shuttle to the Toy Story parking was pretty crowded.

Now what fun what would it be if we didnít have one last story to tell. As we approach the line, we notice a lady in a ecv. Now weíve all read horror stories about ecvís. This isnít going to be one of them. There are those that need them and the rest of us just have to be patient while they get in and out of the busses. I for one am grateful that I donít need one. Well at least at the start of the day. By the end of the night, I think it would be nice to have one for my aching feet and the rest of my tired body.

We notice the lady in the ecv was in the line for our shuttle. With her was a younger girl (about 8-9 years old I would say). The girl was holding some shopping bags. We had a short wait for a shuttle to pull up. We knew they needed to load her first. What we didnít know was that, not only was there a younger girl with this woman, but at least 6 more people appear out of no where. Teenagers to younger adults. Seems they just appeared out of thin air. Whatís worse, each person seems to have at least 3-4 shopping bags, and one of them has a stroller big enough to push all of us around. The driver loads the lady onto the shuttle. The people with her are getting off and on the bus to load up all their bags. Theyíre piling the bags onto the seats and take up about 4 seats. Once on board the lady stands up, gets out of her ecv and sits in a regular seat. Now I donít know what procedure is, but Lady H and I were wondering if there were going to be any seats left; or if we would just have to wait for the next shuttle. We also wondered why didnít the lady just stay seated in her ecv. Isnít that part of the purpose of strapping them down? Now Iím not trying to discriminate here, Iím just trying to make sense of the situation. Luckily another shuttle pulled up about 5 minutes after the first shuttle. So there was enough seating room for everyone who were waiting in line behind these people. We landed up on the shuttle with the lady in the ecv. There stop was before ours and it was funny to see them get off the shuttle. It was like the Asian women all over again. They worked like ants getting all the shopping bags off the shuttle while the driver was busy helping the lady. Finally after 30 minutes or so when we got on the shuttle, we finally get back to our resort.

We head on back to our room and the first thing we grab is a beer. 2 big drinks and itís done. We change into our pjís and get ready for bed. Not before having one last beer out on the balcony. As I mentioned earlier, this would be our nightly ritual. Lady H grabs her Kindle and we sit out on the balcony enjoying our beer, smoke our flavored Djarum mini-cigars and take notes. Once weíre done we head to bed, time for some hanky panky. I mean time to go to sleep. Have to be up early again tomorrow, for tomorrow weíre headed to:

Universal Studios Hollywood.

Sorry folks, for taking so long to get through this day. The day is finally over and so is this chapter. Lady H will take you through USH. I know she's already been working on the chapters so hopefully we'll get this TR rolling again.

Thanks everyone for being patient with me. I'm sure Lady was wondering when I was going to finish so she can get started.

And thanks sticking around with us while we deal with this thing they call WORK.
Register to remove

Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #393
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper_Man View Post
Welcome to Fantasmic.
Da plane! Da plane!

Whoops! Sorry, thought you said something else.

Quote:
The time was getting close to 7 and we wanted to see, rather we had no choice but to see the 9pm show of Fantasmic.
Nah. You had a choice, you could've just skipped it altogether. (Everyone: ďYou couldíve just skipped it!!)

Sorry, again.

On second thought, you couldnít skip it. Thereís some dude who keeps insisting on comparison shopping.

Quote:
We didnít want to run the risk of missing the shuttle so we figured best to play it safe.
Or you couldíve played it smart. ďOh look Lady H, the park is closed and we missed our shuttle. Guess weíll just have to spend the night in DL. HmmmÖ that castle over there looks like a good place to crash, no?Ē

Quote:
Hand the CM our tickets and show her our new branding. Phew! Didnít come off between DCA to here.
And you were probably so nervous that you were sweating enough to have it come off.

Quote:
Instead of walking through Main Street, we decided to hop on the train and see if we can beat some of the crowds there. Wouldíve worked out great except some blind, bald guy threw up all over the place.
Ugh. Theyíre all over the place, arenítí they?

Quote:
Bet he was suffering from a concussion and shouldíve just stayed back at the hotel.

Oops. Wrong TR.
Yeah, sometimes itís hard to keep track!

Quote:
So the CMís closed of this area and had us all move to the left. About a minute or so later, they realize that maybe they can open part of the lane. Or not. About a minute before the train pulled in, they finally opened the right lane. Another CM (armed with a big can of industrial strength lysol, paper towels and trash bag) was sent to clean up the mess. While cleaning up the mess, the CMís decided it would be safe to partially open up the right side. So they sent some of the crowd back to the right. I wish they would make up my mind which way I need to go to get on the train.
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
Thatís what itís all about.

Quote:
Fantasmic is shown at DL on Tom Sawyerís Island in Frontierland.
Interesting.

Quote:
You needed to pay thousands of dollars to sit in this premium viewing area. Well $1k may be a little steep, but I think it was about $65 a person; so close enough.
Naw, I believe you when you say itís $1K. It is Disney after all.

Quote:
Now for our upcoming WDW trip, I booked the Wishes Dessert Party and didnít even spend $65 for the 2 of us.
And Iíve seen (pictures of) those dessertsÖ and less then $65 for two is pretty darned good.

Quote:
We see a couple of empty spots and decide to grab them and wait 2 long hours.

Right now youíre all thinking we were nuts. No way would you wait 2 hours.
ActuallyÖ. no. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. And with two of you there that means you can do just what you did. One person guards then the other goes for a stroll, then you switch.

Quote:
Lady H was having none of it and threatened to use her pepper spray to keep them away.
Atta girl!

Quote:
No sooner did we move and stalker lady comes in and takes the spots. She had more people with her now. Think she was assembling the troops for an all out war. No matter, she wonít be there long anyways.
Oh?

Quote:
On her way back she stops for popcorn and sheís happy once again. Plus the sun is going down and itís at least starting to feel a little cooler.
Plus sheís relieved because sheís just gone toÖ ummmÖ I meanÖ.

Nevermind.

Quote:
Theyíre evening scaring away the people who were sitting in our previous spot, including the lady that moved in after we left. I tell Lady H, ďitís a good thing we moved. We wouldíve been evicted and we didnít even get a warning letter.Ē
Wow! Lucky break!

Quote:
Hereís the YJís in action. Notice the yellow shirt with the black strip. They even look like YJís. The yellow thing in their hand is their stinger. They would zap you if you didnít do what they told you to.

Quote:
Soon the show lights start to lift to get out of the way of peopleís view and Fantasmic starts.
Not quite clear on that. The lights ďliftedĒ?

Quote:
Our view wouldíve been spectacular and for the most part it still was, except the little girl who sat on her dadís shoulder and pretty much appeared in our whole video.
I guess itís just Disney. Or maybe itís me being a father. Either way, I donít mind that.

Quote:
Since each show is very similar in content, with a few changes, this is why I canít really say one is better than the other.
Thanks for all the pics and the great breakdown. I was impress by the dragon and the pirate ship in particular.

Quote:
It felt like the fireworks were going off for us in celebration of our anniversary; and celebrating the end of a magical day over at DL. What a perfect ending to a perfect day.
Thatís great. Thanks for theÖ uh, wait. Thereís more? But you already had the perfect ending!

Quote:
What we didnít know was that, not only was there a younger girl with this woman, but at least 6 more people appear out of no where.
Gee, and I just read another TR where a very similar thing happened.

Quote:
Luckily another shuttle pulled up about 5 minutes after the first shuttle.
Thatís pretty good.

Quote:
We head on back to our room and the first thing we grab is a beer. 2 big drinks and itís done.
Did you each have a beer and 2 big drinks (would that be doubles? Or triples?) or just you?

Quote:
Once weíre done we head to bed, time for some hanky panky.
Except when you put down the camcorder with the video with the girl on her Daddyís shoulders, you forgot to turn it off andÖ now youíre being sued for $100 million.

Oh, wait. Thatís Hulk Hogan.

I get you guys mixed up.

Quote:
Sorry folks, for taking so long to get through this day.
No worries. Youíre doing just fine.

Quote:
And thanks sticking around with us while we deal with this thing they call WORK.
Terrible thing when you have to actually work at work. Thanks for chapter Mike! :

Canadian Buffoon's Vacation
Canadian Buffoon European Vacation
Just a silly little TR - run away!

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
pkondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:53 PM   #394
smidgy
dimples

thanks for the fantasmic comparison. even tho I hate going into that huge auditorium at DHS and sitting there for an hour, at least you know they are all legal seats, and you don't have to "scramble" for seats much..

I would've been really ticked if I staked out a spot on that wall for an hour, then be told to move. a t least fot fant. as dhe, you've got your spot.. and at Mk, all you really need is a small spot to stand on . but illum at epcot, it's more important to not have too many people in front fo you... I am content to sit on the groundstaking out a railing spot for a long time. nebo, not so much.

ps I really dislike it when people take up seats on the bus with packages.
smidgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #395
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Thanks for the great update, T-Man.

Fantasmic on either coast (surprise!). The one time I went to see it a few years ago at DHS, a tropical storm came through and it got cancelled.
At least we got to have dinner at H&V that night.

A comet regarding vomit (hate to resurrect that topic, but I totally forgot about it on Nebo's TR). They now have some sort of spray that reduces it to basically dust than you can just sweep up. Not that I have ever witnessed it, and I have no plans to either.....
Old 10-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #396
dwheatl
DIS Veteran
Can you tell I'm a dyed-in-the lime-green-wool DL fan?

I really wish they had built a stadium to watch Fantasmic at DL, but then I guess that would block the view of Tom Sawyer Island and make NO Square ugly.
I don't think folks are supposed to stay in the ECV while the vehicle is moving. Yes, the cart is strapped down, but the rider isn't. Shuttles and buses are made with shock-absorbing backs to the seats, so in a crash, you would be thrown into a kind of stiff pillow. On an ECV, you would be thrown into the steering mechanism. Not good.
We were told at WDW, however, that a few of us could stay with the ECV driver, but if we had a larger group, the rest would have to wait in the other line, and get on when it was their turn, not with the ECV. That seems fair, I think.
WDW trips1985 Newlyweds offsite 1987 With MIL offsite 1993, 1997, 2002, 2006 WDW Dolphin 2012 - Art of Animation
dwheatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:11 AM   #397
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstage_Gal View Post
They now have some sort of spray that reduces it to basically dust than you can just sweep up. Not that I have ever witnessed it, and I have no plans to either.....
I can see it now...
"See? Isn't this great? Instead of mopping up the mess, you can just sweep it up or vacuum it!"

... and then a gust of wind came along...

1977 - offsite 1987 - offsite 1992 - offsite 2005 - POR (never going offsite again!!!) 2009 - ASMu
Old 10-17-2012, 12:12 PM   #398
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Da plane! Da plane!

Whoops! Sorry, thought you said something else.
Well considering you enter a land of fantasy and the show is on an island, you weren't too far off.

Quote:
Nah. You had a choice, you could've just skipped it altogether. (Everyone: ďYou couldíve just skipped it!!)

Sorry, again.
Don't be sorry. We actually like Fantasmic. I know some don't. It was really interesting to see the differences. Plus being out in the park like that instead of some secluded little corner made it more interesting.

Quote:
On second thought, you couldnít skip it. Thereís some dude who keeps insisting on comparison shopping.
I was hoping some dude would've gone first and told us about it. Take it he actually stays on his feet the whole time there.

Quote:
Or you couldíve played it smart. ďOh look Lady H, the park is closed and we missed our shuttle. Guess weíll just have to spend the night in DL. HmmmÖ that castle over there looks like a good place to crash, no?Ē
As tempting as that would've sounded, it might not have worked considering we were going to USH the next day. We would've had to wait til 8 in the morning to be let out.

Quote:
And you were probably so nervous that you were sweating enough to have it come off.
No. I had a towel and dried my hands.

Quote:
Ugh. Theyíre all over the place, arenítí they?

Quote:
Yeah, sometimes itís hard to keep track!
Especially as busy as I've been at work lately. We're supposed to be going into our slower months, but seems busier than ever. Could also be we'll be gone for 2 weeks in December, so I have to make sure and have everything done by then.

Quote:
You do the hokey pokey
And you turn yourself around
Thatís what itís all about.
You let the line back in, you make the line get out.
You let the line back in, and make people want to shout.
You do the hokey pokey til the CM's figure it out.
That's what it's all about.

Quote:
Naw, I believe you when you say itís $1K. It is Disney after all.
Right. I've seen the box they give you on a few other sites. Not worth the price IMO.

Quote:
And Iíve seen (pictures of) those dessertsÖ and less then $65 for two is pretty darned good.
They do. This will be a first for us over there. Figured might as well try at least everything once. Well everything except jumping off a 200ft bridge without a parachute. Gotta have a few standards.

Quote:
ActuallyÖ. no. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. And with two of you there that means you can do just what you did. One person guards then the other goes for a stroll, then you switch.
Yeah. It worked out well. Too bad DL is a dry theme park. We covered that later on in the trip though.

Quote:
Wow! Lucky break!
Couldn't have worked out any better than if we had planned it.

Quote:
Not quite clear on that. The lights ďliftedĒ?
Yeah. There are what appear to be large wooden storage crates around the viewing area. Hidden inside these crates, below ground level, are actually the lights for the show. They are on hydraulic lifts. Before the show begins, they are lifted to ground level, so they look like they'll be in the way. Once it gets closer to show time, they lift the lights.

I found a good thread on here explaining the lights (along with pictures) so you can see what I'm talking about. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2225094

Quote:
I guess itís just Disney. Or maybe itís me being a father. Either way, I donít mind that.
Well I did. She ruined my video and pictures.

Ok, I'm just kidding. We really didn't mind it either. We got to see the show and that's all that matters. It was just funny to see this silhouette in all my pictures and video. Next time I'll just have to stake out a better spot 3 hours ahead of time.

Quote:
Thanks for all the pics and the great breakdown. I was impress by the dragon and the pirate ship in particular.
I was really impressed with the dragon as well. Still wish I could've seen the fire come out of it's mouth. Hopefully next time.

Quote:
Thatís great. Thanks for theÖ uh, wait. Thereís more? But you already had the perfect ending!
Well we did have the perfect ending, INSIDE the theme park. There's always adventures outside the park as well.

Quote:
Did you each have a beer and 2 big drinks (would that be doubles? Or triples?) or just you?
I guess I should clarify. We each had 2 beers. My first beer I finished by taking 2 swigs, gulps, drinks, swallows, you get the idea.

Quote:
Except when you put down the camcorder with the video with the girl on her Daddyís shoulders, you forgot to turn it off andÖ now youíre being sued for $100 million.

I get you guys mixed up.
Considering the camera battery lasted just long enough to record the show, the world will never know.

Quote:
Thanks. For a minute there, it seemed our thread just died and I lost all the readers.

Quote:
Terrible thing when you have to actually work at work.
It sure does eat into my Dis time. By the time I finish here, I mean at work, I don't want to turn on the puter at home since I work on one most of the day.

Quote:
Thanks for chapter Mike! :
Thanks for breakdown.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:26 PM   #399
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by smidgy View Post
thanks for the fantasmic comparison.
Anytime. Glad I was able to share this adventure with you.

Quote:
even tho I hate going into that huge auditorium at DHS and sitting there for an hour, at least you know they are all legal seats, and you don't have to "scramble" for seats much..
Going into the auditorium is a P.I.........Neck. Like you said, the one good thing about this is you actually have a seat. Once we moved from the wall, it was a matter of sitting on the hard brick floor if we wanted to sit.

Quote:
I would've been really ticked if I staked out a spot on that wall for an hour, then be told to move. a t least fot fant. as dhe, you've got your spot.. and at Mk, all you really need is a small spot to stand on .
Oh there was some unhappy campers here. There were some people who had been there longer than what we had been. It gets more interesting later on in the week. Sorta.

Quote:
but illum at epcot, it's more important to not have too many people in front fo you... I am content to sit on the groundstaking out a railing spot for a long time. nebo, not so much.
We've done the staking out here to. We learned a couple of good places to get a good viewing area that aren't along the railing. We tried one last trip and it worked out pretty good.

Quote:
ps I really dislike it when people take up seats on the bus with packages.
We did some shopping as well, but didn't have nearly as many bags as they did. Considering this wasn't a Disney shuttle and it only held about 50 people max, they took up a lot of seats. Thankfully another shuttle showed up and everybody was able to get on.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #400
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Thanks for sticking around.

Quote:
Fantasmic on either coast (surprise!). The one time I went to see it a few years ago at DHS, a tropical storm came through and it got cancelled.
At least we got to have dinner at H&V that night.
We haven't had any shows cancelled on us, yet.

Quote:
A comet regarding vomit (hate to resurrect that topic, but I totally forgot about it on Nebo's TR). They now have some sort of spray that reduces it to basically dust than you can just sweep up. Not that I have ever witnessed it, and I have no plans to either.....
I didn't see the CM actually do the clean up either. I just remember seeing her come with a bag, lots of paper towels and a spray. You could smell the spray and it smelled like Lysol. Interesting to know that's what it does.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:44 PM   #401
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwheatl View Post
I really wish they had built a stadium to watch Fantasmic at DL, but then I guess that would block the view of Tom Sawyer Island and make NO Square ugly.
I actually liked the way it was presented here. Lack of seating was the only bummer, but we made it work.

Quote:
I don't think folks are supposed to stay in the ECV while the vehicle is moving. Yes, the cart is strapped down, but the rider isn't. Shuttles and buses are made with shock-absorbing backs to the seats, so in a crash, you would be thrown into a kind of stiff pillow. On an ECV, you would be thrown into the steering mechanism. Not good.
Thanks for the clarification. Wasn't sure what the rules were. Makes more sense to me now.

Quote:
We were told at WDW, however, that a few of us could stay with the ECV driver, but if we had a larger group, the rest would have to wait in the other line, and get on when it was their turn, not with the ECV. That seems fair, I think.
This wasn't a Disney operated shuttle though. Since we all paid for our passes, I guess it's also fair to say first come, first serve.

Over at WDW, you read a lot of stories about people abusing this. Put one person in a ecv/wheelchair so the whole group can skip the regular lines. I think it was even discussed briefly on Nebo's TR. This is probably why WDW has limited the number of people who can go with the ecv/wheelchair.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #402
Thumper_Man
DDC 684

Quote:
I can see it now...
"See? Isn't this great? Instead of mopping up the mess, you can just sweep it up or vacuum it!"

... and then a gust of wind came along...
EWWW!!!
Old 10-18-2012, 05:35 PM   #403
nebo
sharkbait
Uh oh, this conversation isn't going as planned
All of you are welcome to come along

Quote:

So, I'm the official spew reporter now, too?
ok, I can live with that.
But Marita, were you making a typo saying a "comment reguarding vomit, or did you mean Comet, the cleanser?
and should I write a Comet Vomit Sonnet while we're on it?
I have seen that stuff in action though, for anyone who's worked in a shop, it's basically a type of "Oil Dry".
Very effective.

Quote:
I hadn't heard of that change in policy, or seen it yet enforced, but it sounds more than fair to me.
Like I said before, that morning we waited for the woman in the ECV to load, after she got on so did the rest of her group, which included the Green Bay Packers and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

Quote:
I was hoping some dude would've gone first and told us about it. Take it he actually stays on his feet the whole time there.

It has been clinically proven that even if the Dude stays on his feet that doesn't necessarilly mean that trouble will be avoided.
Actually, Funtasmic is my least favorite nighttime Disney show. I think the end would be so much more dramatic if they would accompany Mickey standing on the top of the mountain with some real fireworks , instead of a couple of sparklers going off.
My main thiought now when the spotlight hits Ol' Mick standing up there in all his glory is "What a target!"

You let the line back in, you make the line get out.
You let the line back in, and make people want to shout.
You do the hokey pokey til the CM's figure it out.
That's what it's all about.

You're not going to do tthe Chicken Dance at the Dawa Bar too, are you?

Yeah. It worked out well. Too bad DL is a dry theme park. We covered that later on in the trip though.

What?
Oh where have I gone wrong?
I thought I taught you well. There ARE no dry parks in Disney, not unless you let it be that way.
WHat with fuzzy cups, Sunny D's, little airplane bottles,
I usually set up a stand in Frontierland. Although I do see
that you and Lady H are mostly beer drinkers, which is more problematic, requiring tubes, body molded reservoirs and refridgerants, but it can be done. You just have to find an outlet to plug yourself in once an hour to keep the beer cold, but hey, if you like your beer,,,

Yeah. There are what appear to be large wooden storage crates around the viewing area. Hidden inside these crates, below ground level, are actually the lights for the show. They are on hydraulic lifts. Before the show begins, they are lifted to ground level, so they look like they'll be in the way. Once it gets closer to show time, they lift the lights.

I found a good thread on here explaining the lights (along with pictures) so you can see what I'm talking about. http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2225094

ah, ok, now I get it. Normally I hate to agree with the Canadian Bacon but I didn't get what you meant at first either.

Well I did. She ruined my video and pictures.

When there are people in my way and I want them to go away, I use one of two methods to accomplish that, with about a 55 percent success rate.
Method one is the usually effective, "Wow, how long IS that thing, do you think it's poisonous?"
Or, with the older crowd;
"Uh oh honey, this is not good, I don't think I should have had that third chili-cheese dog after all, not after all that beer." Usually by the time I get to " Does it seem as if things are starting to spin around?" the offending people have skedaddled.

Thanks. For a minute there, it seemed our thread just died and I lost all the readers.

Mike, these are not your normal sane readers over here. Unfortunately, a lot of them are from my thread, and they'll be the first to admit, they want BLOOD.
Somehow, they have gotten more than a taste for it and now there's no going back, Ponzi found that out as well.
I don't mean to be derogatory, they a ll have huge hearts and mean well, but that doesn't change the fact they want blood. Even the lovely Backstage Gal would have had a season pass for the Colosseum back in the day, holding her thumb either up or down.

Thanks for breakdown.
Thanks for the chapter Mikey.

Quote:

You could have just skipped it.
True story:

Yesterday, I got the mail and was going through it when I saw the telltale red Netflix envelope.

And I just said outloud to no one in particular,
"Oh, we got a new movie." I hadn't even opened it yet.

Diane: A movie? What is it?

And yes, it came right down the middle and I did not miss it, you know what the response was, even Diane said
"Thank you Leslie" letting me know she got it

If somebody out there didn't get the unfinished joke just now, Mike or Ponzi will be glad to splain it to you, I'm sure.
But really, how often are you set up like that?

All this "Dude-ing" I'm starting to feel like Dean Martin in one of my top five westerns, Rio Bravo.

That's cuz it's YOU that Ruby is putting on her shoulders so you can get a better view.

Yes, I was hoping you were done too.

Gee, and I just read another TR where a very similar thing happened.

Yeah? AND SO, what happened? (oh, this is gonna be good!)

Oh no, he said he didn't know they were filming it.
You'd think when the director yelled out "Action" that might have given it away.

I get you guys mixed up.

Wait, Mike and the Hulk? I got lost and confused reading just the one sides here.

Terrible thing when you have to actually work at work. Thanks for chapter Mike! :
And after Ponzi took all this time breaking it down, I'd like to give credit too, Thanks for the chapter, Mike.
nebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #404
pkondz
Hoping to get lucky
Bow-chicka-bow-wow!

Quote:
You could have just skipped it.
Thank you.

Quote:
True story:

Yesterday, I got the mail and was going through it when I saw the telltale red Netflix envelope.

And I just said outloud to no one in particular,
"Oh, we got a new movie." I hadn't even opened it yet.

Diane: A movie? What is it?

And yes, it came right down the middle and I did not miss it, you know what the response was, even Diane said
"Thank you Leslie" letting me know she got it
Perfect set up!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moi of course
That's cuz it's YOU that Ruby is putting on her shoulders so you can get a better view.
I fail to see a problem with that. Sure she struggles... but what a great view for me!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:07 PM   #405
Backstage_Gal
Let me rephrase the dog stew remark
I broke more than I used

Location: On my couch with my laptop and a glass of wine in Florida

Quote:
I don't mean to be derogatory, they a ll have huge hearts and mean well, but that doesn't change the fact they want blood. Even the lovely Backstage Gal would have had a season pass for the Colosseum back in the day, holding her thumb either up or down.

Hey, I object! I do not like blood nor wish misfortune on anyone! I want everyone to have a great time and live to tell about it. And I most certainly would not have bought tickets for the Colosseum.

Last edited by Backstage_Gal; 10-18-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Backstage_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disneyland trip 2012

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: