Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #16
Snick
Mouseketeer

Yep, I'd be ticked too. We very much look forward to that part of the holiday. $35 a seat ain't cheap!!

I just read somewhere on here that someone else got the white-van-treatment and complained at their resort check-in. They got pixie-dusted somehow. Search it.

We are leaving soon and I will know not to get out of the DC bus line!! Sorry you had that experience but you gave all the rest of us a head's up!!

Complain. Or they will keep doing it!!

My 2 cents.
2010, Pop Century, 4 days
2012, Land & Sea: Bahamas 4 day cruise, Pop, 7 days
2013?????
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachygreen View Post
For the cost of DCL transfers I would be annoyed with a white van as described too.

From the Disney's Magical Express Welcome Center, you're off to your Disney Cruise Line ship! Board a deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach, sit back and relax as we chauffer you to the Disney Cruise Line Terminal at Port Canaveral.
Exactly! This is the description we read as well, when we decided to book and pay for DCL transfers.
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012
fairytalelover is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick View Post
Yep, I'd be ticked too. We very much look forward to that part of the holiday. $35 a seat ain't cheap!!

I just read somewhere on here that someone else got the white-van-treatment and complained at their resort check-in. They got pixie-dusted somehow. Search it.

We are leaving soon and I will know not to get out of the DC bus line!! Sorry you had that experience but you gave all the rest of us a head's up!!

Complain. Or they will keep doing it!!

My 2 cents.
We were in the DC bus line. The people before us got directed to the bus and we got directed to the nasty van. We were in the proper line. The van was parked right next to the nice buses.
Disneyland (hundreds of times) Disneyland Hotel 6/2005 & 12/2005 Disney Fairytale Wedding at Disneyland 6/2005; Walt Disney World 2/2004, 6/2005, 5/2012; Port Orleans Riverside 2/2004 & 6/2005; All Star Movies Resort 5/2012; Disney Wonder 6/2005; Disney Dream 4/2012
Old 08-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #19
fairytalelover
DIS Veteran

Who would I contact to complain?? Is there a phone number or email address??
Old 08-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdes1 View Post
My DH also had a bad experience with the Mears transportation. He was on a biz trip, so did not need a fancy "Disney" bus. He just had to get from the airport to his WDW hotel. They insisted he hand over his luggage and use the Mears transportation, though. They also insisted that they would handle his luggage "door to door" and it would be in his room shortly after his arrival at the hotel.

He sat in his hotel waited and waited and made several phone calls and was finally told that his luggage was probably still on the bus and they'd have the driver look for it at the end of his shift. And when was the end of shift? 11pm!!!

Good thing he did not need business clothes for any events that evening. He said the customer service was horrible and not the Disney experience at all. Too bad Disney does business with companies like Mears.
Who it "they"?
I am thinking he used Disney's Magical Express? When using ME you do NOT need to have them collect your luggage. You can leave off the Disney ME tags they send you and collect the luggage yourself. It then goes on the same bus as you to the resort. You need to gather it off the bus when you arrive at your resort.

If you have them collect it, it takes hours to arrive.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #21
IBelieveInTheMagic
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry you were let down over your experience with the white van. I understand your point of view.

After we got off the Dream in June (our first time cruising with Disney) we went to the busses as we were staying at POFQ for one night. While standing in line, the CM said she was going to try and get us in the "white van" and was waiting for them to finish loading the luggage. We had 4 suitcases among us and I knew it wouldn't fit by looking in the back of the van and I wasn't going to allow it to get all "squished" because they were packing it in. She did offer the van as she said it would get us there a lot quicker (as others have stated) but it ended up they were full so we were first on the DCL bus. Since we were first, we did wait at least 30 minutes for it to fill up and then it was at least another 45 minutes before we were at POFQ - which was the first stop. The bus driver even stated there would be some on the bus for over 2 hours due to the many stops it was making.

I had read this ahead of time so I was prepared for the long journey on the bus but I hadn't read about the "white van" so I probably did have a look on my face when we first checked in - "that thing?" Now that I know, I'd likely just politely inform the CM that we'll wait for the DCL bus - unless we were in a hurry for some reason to get to a resort.

Sorry it was a let down for you and feedback is always good to give!

Heather
WDW: 11/2008 (MVMCP), 9-10/2009 (MNSSHP, F&W, Pirates Pal Cruise & Pirates League), 4/2010 (Flower & Garden Festival & Jedi Training), 10/2010 (MNSSHP & F&W), 6/2011 (SWW & Universal Studios), 11/2011 Girls Trip (MVMCP & Osborne Lights), 6/2012 and 11/2012 (Osborne Lights), and WDW/MNSSHP 10/2013.
DCL (Gold!): 6/2012 (KSC & Dream), 8/2012 Dream, 12/2012 Fantasy (Mom & I), 6/2013 Wonder(Alaska!), 9/2013 Dream (girls cruise) & 12/2013 Dream (girls cruise), 1/2014 Magic, 4/2014 Fantasy & 9/2014 Dream (Mom and I) Next: 4/2015 Wonder & 6/2015 (Magic-Europe)
IBelieveInTheMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #22
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

They use the buses for the groups going to the airports...since that is where the majority are going to.

When we went from port to WDW it was also in a white van...sounds like that is pretty standard. Which actually left before most of the buses did, so we got to the resort really quick. It would be wasteful for them to run a bus that isn't even close to full.

Nowhere do they say you will be on a DCL bus from Port to WDW.

In the end all you pay for is a transfer from point A to point B and that is what you got.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #23
jaimeadk
Mouseketeer

What do you do if you get "placed" on s white van with young children and don't have carseats?
jaimeadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:32 PM   #24
scottsmithfl1782
17 cruises so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlwhitney View Post
They use the buses for the groups going to the airports...since that is where the majority are going to.

When we went from port to WDW it was also in a white van...sounds like that is pretty standard. Which actually left before most of the buses did, so we got to the resort really quick. It would be wasteful for them to run a bus that isn't even close to full.

Nowhere do they say you will be on a DCL bus from Port to WDW.

In the end all you pay for is a transfer from point A to point B and that is what you got.
I have been looking into this as well, and just re-read what the ground transfers page says on the DCL site:

Ground Transportation
1. Prior to the start of your vacation, you will receive a Documentation Packet that includes special luggage tags . Attach the tags to your luggage and bring the included vouchers with you to the airport.

2. At your hometown airport, check your luggage as you normally would at the start of a trip.

3. Upon landing at Orlando International Airport, skip baggage claim and proceed directly to the Disney's Magical Express Welcome Center located on Side B, Level 1 - Ground Transportation level. Disney will collect your luggage and deliver it to your stateroom. (International Guests arriving in Orlando must first claim their luggage and clear Customs and Immigration. Once cleared, luggage will then be returned to the main baggage claim where Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver it to the Guest's stateroom.)

4. From the Disney's Magical Express Welcome Center, you're off to your Disney Cruise Line ship! Board a deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach, sit back and relax as we chauffer you to the Disney Cruise Line Terminal at Port Canaveral.

5. After your cruise has ended, return back to Orlando International Airport in a deluxe air-conditioned motor coach.

So it does sound like Mears are trying to not follow or supply what DCL are selling.
scottsmithfl1782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #25
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottsmithfl1782 View Post
I have been looking into this as well, and just re-read what the ground transfers page says on the DCL site:

Ground Transportation
1. Prior to the start of your vacation, you will receive a Documentation Packet that includes special luggage tags . Attach the tags to your luggage and bring the included vouchers with you to the airport.

2. At your hometown airport, check your luggage as you normally would at the start of a trip.

3. Upon landing at Orlando International Airport, skip baggage claim and proceed directly to the Disney's Magical Express Welcome Center located on Side B, Level 1 - Ground Transportation level. Disney will collect your luggage and deliver it to your stateroom. (International Guests arriving in Orlando must first claim their luggage and clear Customs and Immigration. Once cleared, luggage will then be returned to the main baggage claim where Disney Cruise Line will collect and deliver it to the Guest's stateroom.)

4. From the Disney's Magical Express Welcome Center, you're off to your Disney Cruise Line ship! Board a deluxe, air-conditioned motor coach, sit back and relax as we chauffer you to the Disney Cruise Line Terminal at Port Canaveral.

5. After your cruise has ended, return back to Orlando International Airport in a deluxe air-conditioned motor coach.

So it does sound like Mears are trying to not follow or supply what DCL are selling.
It doesn't say return to WDW resort will be on a motor coach.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #26
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Ground Transportation

BUT, that only talks about between transfers between airport and port. Not from Port to WDW Hotel (which there are never really that many doing this ).

DCL is expecting most people using transfers from airport to port and vice versa only because many only do a cruise.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
scottsmithfl1782
17 cruises so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
It doesn't say return to WDW resort will be on a motor coach.

To be fair to the OP, it also doesn't say if going to a WDW resort we may use alternative transportation though.
I can see both sides of the story now Shmoo.
Assumption can be the.... lol!

But from the description the OP provided, the van wasn't up to scratch and in line with Disney or DCL standards.

I think the OP should speak to DCL about the vehicle, and hopefully they have some photos to bolder their case.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #28
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
To be fair to the OP, it also doesn't say if going to a WDW resort we may use alternative transportation though.
I can see both sides of the story now Shmoo.
Assumption can be the.... lol!

But from the description the OP provided, the van wasn't up to scratch and in line with Disney or DCL standards.

I think the OP should speak to DCL about the vehicle, and hopefully they have some photos to bolder their case.
Speaking to DCL is the only thing she can do ...being all grumpy here is going to get her anyway. But I highly doubt they will do anything, its not like its the only time a white van was used.

The funny part is in the end she is complaining about getting there faster. To take a bus will take a lot longer for it fill up and you would end up waiting around to leave then with more people you would have more hotel stops and you could end up the last stop.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #29
scottsmithfl1782
17 cruises so far!

I prefer not to comment on the OP's complaint about time getting to the resort.

I just think the van sounds kinda run down, and not Disney standard.

That I think is a must and should be addressed.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #30
mhl1414
Mouseketeer

This happened to us too. My son had developed a stomach bug the night before the cruise ended. I was already nervous about him making it to the hotel on the bus, but thought at least there is a bathroom. When they led me to a white van I stopped and explained the situation and told them we needed the bath room on the bus. They said we were welcome to wait for the next bus going to Animal Kingdom Hotel, but that this one would get us there much faster without all the other stops at other hotels. I asked my son if he thought his stomach could handle it and he said he would prefer risking the shorter drive on the white bus. I agree the Disney bus is a lot nicer, but the white one was quick. If you complain about the white bus, they will alow you to wait for the next big bus.
mhl1414 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: