Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
ninahbear
Mouseketeer

How to suprise the kids

I am trying to come up with a way to keep our upcoming trip from our children DS (7) DD (5). Two trips ago we told them we were going to a beach that was far away and that was why we were flying. I can't use that line again. I will be running in the ToT 10 miler so I was thinking about telling them that they are taking me to the airport and I am going without them. My sister seems to think that is a little cruel. I wouldn't even tell them until they get home from school and we leave for the airport. Is this cruel? Any other suggestions?

43 more days!!!!!

April 2001 ~ All Star Sports
September 2002 Honeymoon ~ Wilderness Lodge
December 2005 Joey's first trip ~ Wilderness Lodge
September 2006 ~ Contemporary
January 2007 ~ Pop Century
October 2008 - Port Orleans Riverside
September 2009 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge ~ Downtown Disney Hilton
September/October 2010 ~ Mickey's Halloween 5k ~ Port Orleans Riverside
September 2012 ~ Tower of Terror 10 miler ~ POFQ & Pop Century
November 2013 ~ ASM
October 2014 ~ Caribbean Beach
ninahbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
piratehookspixiedust
Mouseketeer

I can't wait to see what people come up with. I am trying to surprise my kids in 43 days also! We leave the same day
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
disneyfan123
He got my hubbies steak once
Still crazy about that boy!

We just booked a last minute trip for end of September!!!

We are going to pick them up from school with the van packed, that is as far as we got, trying to figure out some creative way to surprise them. Our son talks about Disney all the time and we told him maybe in the winter, so he is going to go nuts when we tell him. Can't wait!!

We have thought about not telling them anything and repeatedly telling them to mind their business in the car and getting on the plane!! lol, just kidding. Or making up some letter from Mickey saying their invited to his halloween party.

Time to get my pixie dust ready!
Jan 2008 SSR
Jan 2010 - Animal Kingdom Studio Savannah View!!
March 2011 - Offsite
October 2012 - Bonnet Creek

disneyfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:59 PM   #4
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Hi

We are also doing a surprise trip for our 3 boys! wehave been to Disney a few times before but we have NEVER surprised them!

I actually booked this trip over a yr ago and have no idea how i have manged to keep it to myself My Dh said the day i booked it that i would never manage to keep it from them and he kept joking that he would come home from work and they would tell him that we was going!

Well Ive now nearly made it and so there is no way im spoiling the surprise now......We talk Disney all the time in our house as the boys know that we are trying to save up to go next October "they say all the time how the wish it was this yr" so i know all their fav places to eat and ive booked all of them plus a few new ones.

The hardest part is trying to get the to pick their outfit for MNSSHP without letting on its this yr (NOT EASY) so ive told them that we need to make their halloween outfit for this yr now as Nanny who makes them (I design but she makes them) cant be here in october "she is coming on the trip with us as we take her every time" and that they would have to wear them to next years party as we dont want to have to make new ones luckily they are 7,7,9 so they fell for this!

We have told the boys that we are going to surprise them with a big treat of going to a theme park for the wk end but that we will not tell them when or what one!! They have to earn good boy stickers for each day they get a good boy sticker then they will be 1 day closer to the surprise,this way they have to earn it and we get well behaved children!! "well sometimes" lets hope they get some good boy stickers before the holiday comes

we told them we will stay at the them parks hotel, luckily we have 4or 5 them parks over here that have themed hotels aswell.....this way they will see the over night bags and not wonder why we have them,all the other cases are going to be packed up into Nannys car and then covered with a blanket the boys will travel in our car and so they wont see the cases
They know that nanny is coming to the surprise wk end with us so they wont think this strange.

The day of the surprise we will wake them up and tell them its time to go to the theme park,They will notice that we are going toward the airport and we will just tell them we are taking a short cut to avoid the traffic!
When we turn into the airport Daddy will take out the video camera and hopefully place it where they cant see us so we can capture their faces and what they are saying, we will then tell them that the satnav has taken us the wrong way and that we will have to find somwhere to turn around we wont tell them anything else even though they will be asking until we get to the carpark then I will video them whilst they watch daddy get go over to nannys car and get out the cases!! we will then tell them to go into the airport!
Im not sure what will happen from here but Id like to keep them guessing until we get to the Virgin desk,They know that next yr our flights with Virgin and they can read so they will see it says Orlando, The thing is we are doing Twilight check in and then going to stay at the airport hotel until the next day so.....we are a little stuck on what to do! we dont want to get them all excited thinking they are going on a flight that day,BUT i wanted to not tell them until the airport
so I will have to have a think as how we will plan this out, we also have a car service that is picking up mine and my mums car then taking it to where it will be parked for 3wks.We could once we get there take the cases out and tell them there and then that we fly tomorrow to Disney after checking in our bags.Or we could stop on the way right nr the airport take them to breakfast and tell them in the restaurent so we can film it

Anyways I cant wait to hear all your plans and as we are all doing it so close to each other we can keep each other excited and help each other xx

Me 29,DH 33,DS 12, DS"Twins"9
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
phillymummer
DIS Veteran

We are also surprising our 6 year old daughter. This will be her second trip. We went for her 5th bday in Oct 2010. She knew about the first trip and enjoyed "reading up" on Disney. This time we decided to make it a surprise since the plans for the trip came up suddenly. We were talking about going in March of 2013 for a long weekend before my hubby's convention but we nixed that plan once we realized it was the week before Easter (we don't do crowds). So, she knows we are saving up for Disney and will go when we have enough money. What she doesn't know is daddy won two roundtrip plane tickets through a contest at work (he won them after we decided to nix the march trip) so we have enough money saved to go in Oct for her 7th birthday!!

We have not told anyone in our family for fear someone will slip. We figured the more people who know, the greater the chance someone will slip. I have almost spoiled it a few times!!

I am going to pack her suitcase and a carryon while she is at dance class. Trying to keep the suitcases hidden is going to be difficult! I am going to tell her the plan when i wake her up at 4 am for our flight. Otherwise, she might not get out of bed. she is not a morning person and can be rather slow getting ready. I plan to have a video camera rolling to record her reaction.

In her carry on i am going to have a 2012 Birnbaum guide, her pin book and lanyard, and other fun disney stuff to keep her occupied at the airport and on the plane.

I hope it all goes as planned!!

Oct 2012 POFQ- First trip planned all by myself (and with plenty of help from The Dis!)
Next trip- Nov 2015 to MK and Universal!
phillymummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Julia Says
Mouseketeer

We are planning for our trip to be a surprise as well. We rented DVC points, so this trip has been planned for a year, and we are 43 days out today and the kids still don't know!

I don't know how we're going to tell them. Our flight leaves at 8:30 on Saturday morning. I think we may tell them we're going on a trip, but not tell them where we're going, or how long we'll be gone, or even that we're flying until we get to the airport. DH is taking off the day before so we can get all packed while they're at school.

Over the last couple of weeks, ds has become obsessed with watching all the Disney Behind the Scenes shows on Netflix, and it's killing me! My sister and her family went in June and I was able to get lots of input from him under the guise of "What would you tell your cousins to do?"

Julia Says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:28 PM   #7
LHARPSTER
Lori

My kids don't know and we leave 21 days!!! This is going to be the hardest part of the whole planning because how do u pack a family of 4 without the kids seeing the clothes! We are staying in our camper at The Fort Wilderness so to them its just another camping trip. I don't plan on telling them until they see the sign!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #8
VeeHam
Mouseketeer

OP, maybe you could tell them you all are going to visit "fill in the blank, an old friend" and they have to fly there or that you are running and they are going to cheer mom on. Then not tell them about WDW until you land and ME shows up or right before landing where you can film them.

We are also going to surprise our girls ages 5 and 8. They know we are going next October but know nothing of going this year. We have a 17 hour drive from Texas so I'm thinking we'll tell them were going to visit family in Mississippi which we do very often then tell them we are tired and need to stop for the night. The 8 year old might think it's odd since we never stop for the night but what 8 year old doesn't love a hotel.

We're thinking that we will tell them as we drive into Orlando or up to the hotel. I do want to film their reaction though. I do not know how I've kept this secret for this long. I'm dying to tell them though.

VeeHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #9
CTcruiser
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninahbear View Post
I am trying to come up with a way to keep our upcoming trip from our children DS (7) DD (5). Two trips ago we told them we were going to a beach that was far away and that was why we were flying. I can't use that line again. I will be running in the ToT 10 miler so I was thinking about telling them that they are taking me to the airport and I am going without them. My sister seems to think that is a little cruel. I wouldn't even tell them until they get home from school and we leave for the airport. Is this cruel? Any other suggestions?

43 more days!!!!!
I remember my parents telling me that we were taking my dad to the airport and he was going away on business to Florida, then when we got there they let out the surprise! I didn't find it cruel, I was too excited!!
'99- ASM and BC '00- WLV and PO
'01- AKL and WLV '02- BCVx2 and DCL '03- CS and BC
'04- WLV, BCV, and DCL '05- BCV '06- BCV and DCl
'07- Transatlantic Cruise (westbound) and BCV
'08- BWV '09- AKL CL and Vero Beach
'10 to Present - too many times to count! We now own property and annual passes

CTcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
disneyfan123
He got my hubbies steak once
Still crazy about that boy!

Like these ideas, we are going to pick our kids up from school and head to the hotel near the airport as the airport is 3 hours away and we have a 6am flight. We are either going to do a letter from Mickey for them to read in the car or a phone call from a disney character that you can set up on the disney site.
Jan 2008 SSR
Jan 2010 - Animal Kingdom Studio Savannah View!!
March 2011 - Offsite
October 2012 - Bonnet Creek

disneyfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
Tnblondy
Earning My Ears

We are surprising our kiddos too! We will be checking in on the 29th!! I'm so excited and they have NO clue! Here's my plan (so far)to tell them:
We are driving to Orlando and have to stop overnight for my dh to do a quick work thing. Then they think we will be getting up and driving to the beach for the week. Well, when we wake them early the next morning and get out to the car we will have it all decked out! It's going to have Mickey ear ballons and streamers and say Disney World here we come!! At that point they won't realize it but we will only by 1 HOUR from The World!!! I'm so so excited! I'm also hoping to get it all on video! Can't wait!

Tnblondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
kasedroz
Mouseketeer

We are surprising our girls too, our trip is 99 days away so I'm hoping I can keep the secret that much longer. We aren't telling them until we get o the airport. We are going to stay the night at the Inlaws house who live 4 hours away in Columbus. They'll think we are spending the week there so seeing suitcases won't make them suspicious. Then when we get to the airport the next morning we'll hand them their travel backpacks. They'll be arrange so the first thing they'll pull out is their "I'm going to WDW tee shirts." They'll have lots of other goodies in their bag too, but when we get to Orlando they will get another surprise. Because waiting for us there will be my sister and mom, who have never been to Disney!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

kasedroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #13
Momloveshockey
Mouseketeer

Well here's my thinking...
We have a trip booked for March break 2013. Our son doesn't know about it. We were just at Disney for NYE 2011/12...and he has been talking since then about what he wants to do next time...(Try keeping a straight face...I so stink at lying!)
Since we fly out on Sat. morning, I think we will tell him that we are going to Halifax for the weekend to visit my brother. We will have to stay the Fri. night in a hotel anyways since its a 2 hour drive. When we get up VERY EARLY (international flight)...we will get in the shuttle, go to the airport and spring it on him.
Has anyone done this and had it backfire? My son has ADHD and NVLD...so I'm kind of nervous.
Momloveshockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #14
3girlsmommy
Earning My Ears

We are surprising our girls for Christmas...I have a Santa Mickey plush that will be in a box with a bunch of helium filled Mickey head balloons and he'll be holding a sign that tells them in one week we will be leaving for Disneyworld.
3girlsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #15
lauracjc
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHARPSTER View Post
My kids don't know and we leave 21 days!!! This is going to be the hardest part of the whole planning because how do u pack a family of 4 without the kids seeing the clothes! We are staying in our camper at The Fort Wilderness so to them its just another camping trip. I don't plan on telling them until they see the sign!
My girls are going to have the surprise of their lives on Friday! Here is how I am handling my packing situation...while "doing laundry" I am going to "fall behind" on getting the clothes put away. What will be in the laundry baskets will be what I can throw quickly into the suitcases. Fortunately for me, this happens more often than I would care to admit so should not raise suspicion

I also have a storage bin with a lid on it set aside in my closet that I use to throw other things we will be needing for the trip. So far it seems to be working however, I would suggest keeping a list (if you are packing over an extended period of time) so you will have an inventory of what you have already put in the bin. I have gathered all the medications we travel with (Tylenol, Bonine, Claritin, band-aids etc.) and put them in a Ziplock bag where I can just grab the whole thing and throw it in on packing day.

As far as the reveal...I'm still thinking I am going to make an attempt at Mickey pancakes for breakfast and then we are picking them up from school at lunch time. Their teachers are already aware and have prepared assignments for them. The DD's will have no idea they are getting out early. The car will be packed and ready to go. I plan to have a banner on the car and some balloons. They will each get a little gift bag with Disney gift cards and other small items. Here is the tricky part...I plan to have the inside of the car looking Disneyesque! I bought some scrapbook paper with Disney characters on it and cut it apart. I plan to attach some to ribbons to hang on the inside of the car, on windows and confetti scattered. I am not confident the interior of the car idea will work but we''ll see.

Have a wonderful surprise!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: