Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM   #16
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Man, this thread veered off track quickly.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #17
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

my most expensive trip to WDW was before I brought DVC.

going with 5 others none of which paid anything - have yet to match that one. heck even paid for the gasoline for the others.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #18
dwelty
"God Bless 'em, let 'em pee"-Roy Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023 View Post
I think a little bit of planning would have cut your costs significantly.

You could have saved the day at Universal for when your pass expired and avoided needing to buy an extra set of passes all together.
totally agree. And I would have found something else to do on the last day instead of paying $400.00 for a one day pass, especially since the OP mentioned at the end of the post that they want to do things other than the parks anyway.

I agree that Universal is expensive. We did it last trip and it substantially increased our cost. We will not be doing it again. Of course I cannot blame Disney for that expense.

dwelty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #19
TeresaNJ

Knows the tricks to get the Tag Fairies' attention! Likes all pretty colors Gets teary when she hears Garth sing "The Dance"

Thanks for the heads up on the Cuban! Going to try one when I'm down there in December.
TeresaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM   #20
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by corpcomp View Post
And they texted me at about 12pm saying they were bored and what else could they do? I told them to go back on the rides again. Its difficult at this age because we rarely see teenage boys in Disney - mostly teenage girls.
Assuming something about the boys, if you'd mentioned you usually see teenage girls at Disney, that might have gotten them right back to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
And in a thread full of unasked for advice, we have a winner

Everyone draw up your soapbox
That was advice? Saying that if the kid was lucky he wouldn't have debt? Sounds like a statement (and a true one at that), not advice.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:58 PM   #21
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Assuming something about the boys, if you'd mentioned you usually see teenage girls at Disney, that might have gotten them right back to Disney!

That was advice? Saying that if the kid was lucky he wouldn't have debt? Sounds like a statement (and a true one at that), not advice.
"you will not straddle him". Yeah that is advice or a judgement.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
BWV Dreamin
DIS Veteran

The ticket prices at WDW are our biggest expense. They have really gotten out of hand in my opinion. In October, we are spending 2 days at Universal and only 1 day at Epcot for food and wine. I used our Disney rewards points for 2 one day MYW ticket for Epcot. A 2 day park ticket at Universal cost $125 per adult. Even adding the Scream and Stay ticket still costs us less than a 2 day MYW ticket( $182/pp). Now I realize the discount comes with multi day ticket purchase. Still we are at the point where we don't want to go into a park every day.

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:18 PM   #23
arthur06
DDC #689

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
The ticket prices at WDW are our biggest expense. They have really gotten out of hand in my opinion. In October, we are spending 2 days at Universal and only 1 day at Epcot for food and wine. I used our Disney rewards points for 2 one day MYW ticket for Epcot. A 2 day park ticket at Universal cost $125 per adult. Even adding the Scream and Stay ticket still costs us less than a 2 day MYW ticket( $182/pp). Now I realize the discount comes with multi day ticket purchase. Still we are at the point where we don't want to go into a park every day.
I totally agree.

There really is a way to maximize vacation dollars. Our DL trip in November is around $1,000 in tickets for 2 adults/2 kids for 5 day hoppers. One day tickets are killers, and up until about 4/5 days does it become more reasonable (at least for us). We usually buy AP's and spread the trips over 10-12 months.

I agree with what Brian said earlier, we usually do one or the other, but not both.

November '12 Disneyland/VGC Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2964937

arthur06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #24
BestDadEver
New DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsal View Post
Di
I just made the absolute most of it! So glad we have had DVC since she was 6 so we have had many wonderful vacations and I am kind of looking at all the new and exciting ways I can use DVC just with the two of us.
This is exaxtly how I hope I feel when my son turns 17-18 . Be so glad I got it when he was 2 .

BestDadEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #25
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Just got back from 6 days at BCV (our longest vacation ever) and boy was it an eye opener.

BCV was fine - no significant room issues (420) other than a broken drawer which was repaired, and had a great view of the EPCOT fireworks every night. However we had a person across the hall that kept dumping their towels and garbage out in the hallway every night. Very discusting.

We brought my brothers son for the 2nd time in 8 years and he and my son (both 17) were able to go off on their own every day. DW and I were a bit shocked at the early empty nest syndrome we experienced - they both go off to college next year.

But the costs were shocking - We had to buy a 5 day pass for my nephew - $350 which was expected but then went to Universal for a day - ($750 all in - bus, food, multipark passes for 4) in addition to all the food, water park tickets, etc we did. Then our annual passes ran out the last day and I needed to buy a one day park hopper for the three of us for about $400. Total cost was about $2500, excluding the airfare and obvious cost of maintenance for the points. Factor that in and its a $5000 week.

So while I was thinking about all the costs, we met a couple from the UK who told us it was their first and absolutlely last trip there. With three daughters, their 14 day trip cost them about $10,000 - $5000 for airfare (we need a train tunnel under the Pond), a few thousand for the house they rented and the park tickets . Suddenly I felt better.

So its all perspective. Already planning our next trip (sans nephew) for April break and not buying annual passes anymore since we want to do other things than just going to parks. Still has the magic though. Also had the best burger in my life at ESPN called a Cuban. Really great - get one if you go there.
Who pays a few thousand dollars for a rental house near Disney? Was it Cinderella's castle?

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
ssxa
Earning My Ears

We are visiting Disneyworld at the end of September for 13 days....Just the flights will end up costing us $4000 (Family of 4)! Add in the park passes and we also want to go to Universal (will not be able to afford the trip across the pacific and then across the entire country again) Want to see Harry Potter so we have no choice, Disney+Universal adds another $3000 give or take hundred. We still need to eat and buy things here or there and the trip is close to $10000! That is with paying nothing for accomodations thanks to DVC! Expensive for sure...my justification? Can't put a price on memories!!!
WDW Sept 2012
ssxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #27
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
Who pays a few thousand dollars for a rental house near Disney? Was it Cinderella's castle?
they stayed 14 days - so $500 per week - which is reasonable for an entire house offsite. houses generally have at 3, 4, or 5 bedrooms.

Disney is expensive - w/o the discount on annual passes - doubt could afford it these days.

when disney had good days before (late 90's) - they put the park tickets up twice a year - if those days are back - it does not look good for us on a limited budget.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:01 AM   #28
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Quote:
And they texted me at about 12pm saying they were bored and what else could they do? I told them to go back on the rides again. Its difficult at this age because we rarely see teenage boys in Disney - mostly teenage girls.
In their defense, doing Universal in one day is tough! Especially in late July through August, it's hot, the lines are long and unless you're staying there, you're stuck there at the park. At Disney you can head back to your villa mid-day when you're hot and tired and head back out later.

We're Floridian's with season passes to both Universal and Disney. We do Universal early morning and head back to our DVC resort at 2pm! Swim, do lunch and head to DW after 5pm or not at all!

Disney's expensive but without my already paid for DVC I couldn't afford the small fortune I drop on each vacation!

P.S. I remember the 1970's DW trips, leave at 7am w/ sandwiches packed in the cooler for the return trip at 9pm! All worn out, heading home, dreaming of MK, its all there was!

$750 - 1000 a week, a 3br house with a pool and the cleaning fee included, that is the going rate in Orlando!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV

Last edited by BEASLYBOO; 08-10-2012 at 08:12 AM.
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #29
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
they stayed 14 days - so $500 per week - which is reasonable for an entire house offsite. houses generally have at 3, 4, or 5 bedrooms.

Disney is expensive - w/o the discount on annual passes - doubt could afford it these days.

when disney had good days before (late 90's) - they put the park tickets up twice a year - if those days are back - it does not look good for us on a limited budget.
I always thought a couple was 2 and a few was 3 or more. 3K sounds like a lot of money for a house near WDW for 2 weeks.
Makes me wonder about the other figures quoted.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #30
corpcomp
The 100 Yard Dash and Mr. D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muushka View Post
I always thought a couple was 2 and a few was 3 or more. 3K sounds like a lot of money for a house near WDW for 2 weeks.
Makes me wonder about the other figures quoted.
If you go online you will see rental homes specifically for Disney patrons. I looked at one location - Lake Buena Vista and the rates for a number of houses were $2200 per week for a 4 bedroom home. Not really out of line for a vacation destination.

1980-2000 - too many to count
March 01 Poly, March 02, 03 Coronado Springs
March 04 Caribbean Beaches, March 05, 06 Coronado Springs
July 06, April 07, April 08 BCV, June 08 BWV & Yacht Club, Feb 09 BWV, Halloween 09 SSR & BWV, April 10, July 10 BCV & VWL, Aug 11 BWV, Aug 12 BCV, April 13 BCV, NYE 13 BLT & BCV
corpcomp is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: