Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #196
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Very cool update! I always love hearing how involved Walt was with everything.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14

Last edited by Pinkocto; 01-07-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #197
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Lovely update. Did they have anything on Jim Cummings who does Pooh and Tigger?

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #198
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Lovely update.

Even with note taking that is a lot of information.

And cute too with all the back stories
Thanks, this has been a tough report to write because it's been so full of information!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Very cool update! I always love hearing how involved Walt was with everything.
I know! It's no wonder he came up with such a great company, pretty much everyone who came in contact with him thought he was a tremendous person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Lovely update. Did they have anything on Jim Cummings who does Pooh and Tigger?
No, I think it depends on who they can book and get on the stage and they don't talk about much else other than who is there and the subject at hand. Maybe next time....
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #199
franandaj

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs: Still the Fairest of them All

This next session was all about little known facts from the creation of the landmark film that changed the way the world viewed animation.

This feature rates up there with many other great films of it's time.

There were many firsts for this. “Exclusive Recordings from the actual sound film” were issued. The word Soundtrack did not even exist until Pinnochio.

When he came up with the idea and pitched it to his staff, Walt gave everyone 65¢ to go out and buy dinner. When they came back, Walt related the entire project to them, songs and all. Our secondary host shared original manuscripts of the songs with us.

This is the original manuscript of “Whistle While you Work”.

In this photo you will see from left to right.

Frank Churchill. Walt had wanted to use George Gershwin or Irving Berlin to write the Three Little Pigs Song which was a huge hit in the 1930s, but instead Frank Churchill wrote the three little pigs. He wrote the “Who’s Afraid of the Big Bad Wolfe” Song.

My notes say for the second photo “Composer – When you wish” which I know is short for When you Wish upon a Star and that would be Leigh Harline.

OK thank god for Wikipedia. Now it all makes sense. Picture #3 is of Paul Smith and this is what I found on Wikipedia.

The songs in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs were composed by Frank Churchill and Larry Morey. Paul J. Smith and Leigh Harline composed the incidental music score

The fourth picture shows Churchill at the piano.

Now this picture is from the footage they shot to animate the dance scene in the movie.

And then how it was used to do the animation.

They pointed out to notice the fish clarinet that one of the dwarves is playing. I also know from the Snow White Exhibit at the WD Museum, that Walt wanted all the dwarves instruments to look “handmade”.

This was a song called Yodel. They played it for us. Grumpy had a pipe organ and everyone blew jugs of varying sizes to make it work.

In 1935 there was actually the First National Hillbilly Championships that took place in LA. And they did yodeling there as one of the activities. The Disney folks went and studied these guys for role models for the dwarves!

You’ll have to excuse me for those who don’t read music, I find this part fascinating especially since my undergraduate degree had an emphasis in Historical Musicology. Back to more sketches.

Eventually the title Yodel became “The Silly Song”.

There was a song that got cut from the movie, it was about a Lady in the Moon. Each Dwarf would have made a different noise of an animal and all the dwarves fought over the lady in the moon, until they figured out that it was a Man in the moon. The only thing that ended up carrying over from that was the fish clarinet that we were supposed to notice earlier.

One of the other things that I learned at the Snow White Exhibit at the Disney museum was that Walt was constantly trying to get his animators to come with gags to add humor to the movie. He offered bonuses for those who came up with good ones that were used. In the end most of the gags were dropped because they didn’t add to the story line, but a couple stayed in, especially in the Silly Song.

As a lead up to the release of Snow White, theaters used to do all kinds of promotional marketing which included comic strips in local papers, ads at theaters and one of the things that the Walt Disney Company came up with was a dance called Doin’ the Dopey. Evidently there were seven distinct dance moves, but now they are all lost to history.
Alison ~~~~ A Haunting, plundering, and Fiesta Caliente | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 01-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #200
franandaj

For the next segment of the discussion they brought out Marge who was the original model for Snow White. She is now 93 years old and quite in good shape for a woman of her age! Back when they were looking for models, a talent scout came to a few dance schools in the area in March of 1933. Three girls were picked to audition and she was one of them. She never heard anything back from them all summer, and started the next school year at Hollywood High School.

She enrolled in the drama class there. Her drama teacher taught her to improvise which was not a comfortable subject for her, but she did things like “picking daisies” and all sorts of other moves that they would come up with. The class helped to take away her stage fright. Also her British upbringing helped her to eventually get the job because she was so polite.

Eventually she was offered the job and realized that the reason it had taken so long for them to get back was that she was not the first choice for the job. However that person didn’t work out and luck would have it that she did!

Marge’s father taught a Dance school, and her father gave a scholarship to Marge’s (unbeknownst husband-to-be) and his mother was so grateful that she encourage her son to take Marge dancing on the weekends. She mentioned that he went off in the war and came back all grown up.

Marge was the live action model. Though the movie was fully animated, they studied her movement to understand the drawing.

At the premiere of Snow White, she had to sit in the balcony because Walt was afraid if the public knew there were live action models, people would think they had traced the entire movie.

Around this time Shirley Temple was being honored for being the most long running movie star, so she was a celebrity at the Snow White Premiere.

They talked about some of these promos and the staging of the filming. The forest that she ran through in the filming was actually just clotheslines with rope hanging from it, but they had things that would catch on her dress so that the animators could accurately depict a scary forest scene.

Because cartoon characters have larger heads in proportion to the body, they put a football helmet on her head, painted it black and then painted a ribbon on top of it so that they could accurately portray her body size to her regular size in the live action film. She said that it was so heavy that sometimes she couldn’t even perform properly because the helmet caused her to be so off balance!

That was pretty much the end of the discussion of the making of Snow White, but it segued into the next discussion which was the Walt Disney Family Museum and the Snow White exhibit (which now that so much time has passed I have had the opportunity to actually go and see over the last Christmas holiday).

Old 01-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #201
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Oh my! I so wish I had been there in person. That would have been an absolutely rivetting session to be in.

Loving the vicarious living through your post!

What a fantastic amount of history and Disney information. Hanging on by the edge of my seat. And yes, Marge looks great at 93.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #202
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

I agree with PIO - it is amazing, and wonderful!

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #203
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Amazing pictures from the presentation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was a lot of things that I didn't know about the movie and glad to see and hear about it during the presentation.

Very nice update.
mvf-m11c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #204
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Neat update! Snow White is one of my favorites. I think it can hold its own even in today's market.

Love the sketches, especially of the dress. What a fascinating afternoon of information. Thank you for taking copious amounts of notes and sharing them all with us.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #205
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Oh my! I so wish I had been there in person. That would have been an absolutely rivetting session to be in.

Loving the vicarious living through your post!

What a fantastic amount of history and Disney information. Hanging on by the edge of my seat. And yes, Marge looks great at 93.
The entire weekend was riveting to sit through! Although I do have to admit that after 14 hours in that seat, I was starting to fade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
I agree with PIO - it is amazing, and wonderful!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Amazing pictures from the presentation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. There was a lot of things that I didn't know about the movie and glad to see and hear about it during the presentation.

Very nice update.
You should check out the exhibit (which is my next update), I'm sure you would enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Neat update! Snow White is one of my favorites. I think it can hold its own even in today's market.

Love the sketches, especially of the dress. What a fascinating afternoon of information. Thank you for taking copious amounts of notes and sharing them all with us.
You're welcome!

Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #206
franandaj

So evidently the WD Family Museum acquired more space in a building located behind the main exhibit building. It was about 40,000 square feet of an addition and is a nice size for special exhibits. The Snow White exhibit opened in early November, but not early enough for a group of DIS friends of mine who had a meet at the museum.

Gabrielle Caliccho the CEO of the Museum was on stage for the discussion.

For those who haven’t been to the museum yet they talked about the main museum facilities for a bit.

A picture of a young Walt Disney that is on display in the museum

An artist’s rendering of the museum (not quite sure why they showed us this one!)

This is one of the cooler parts of the museum the walkway descends from the entrance at the top of the room and the panels along the side sort of outline the formation of Disneyland and how it came together for Walt and at the bottom of the walkway is a display of “Walt’s Disneyland”. Not any one point in the park’s history, but all the things that Walt worked on, saw, touched and dreamed up.

Here they are showing photos from some other galleries in the museum.

I guess they redesigned the website….

I imagine that this was the exhibit that was going on while the Destination-D was going on.

These are the Exhibitions coming this year.

This is the special exhibit that is currently displayed at the museum. Now this part, I’m recalling from what we saw the day before Christmas Eve. Don’t flame me if my memory is wrong!

Some of the elements in the first part of the special exhibit show where Walt Disney got his inspiration, some of which came from the original German publications from the Brother’s Grimm.

These pictures were on display, I specifically remember the caption stating that they used actresses of the day in their concept work. Does anyone else notice a resemblance to Kathryn Hepburn in one of these images? Fran didn't think so, but I did.

And the evil queen in all her glory.

These sketches were to set the mood for the Huntsman scene.

At the museum they had an extensive segment on the forest part of the story. They showed a few different artist conceptions. One thing that Walt was clear on was the forest could not be scary. It had to appear scary to Snow White in the dark, but it has to become a happy place for her to live, so it had to be clear that it was only her perception that it was scary. They also had sketches where the wood floating in the stream resembled crocodiles in addition to the trees taking on ghoulish features.

The idea that the animals could understand Snow White and that they could communicate with each other was rather a far fetched idea at that time. Today it’s natural that woodland creatures talk and have thoughts, but back then the artists had to be very convincing since the animals could only communicate through gestures.

The backgrounds of the picture were very carefully designed for use with the multiplane camera. Before color was added detailed sketches were drawn to ensure that every detail was perfect.

Through the years of development the dwarves evolved quite a bit. When they first were drawn, they were very funny looking little men. They had very odd looking faces and bodies, and almost looked mean. Over time their features were softened into the characters we know today. Also their cottage took quite a bit of thought. At the exhibit there were several examples of artist renderings before they finally settled on one similar to the cottage depicted here.

You can see what I mean about the dwarves evolving in this picture. Also Snow White was a blonde for a while in the concepts until they finally settled on the black hair with the bow. The red box was for the camera and story board so that you know where the focus of the scene is supposed to be.

These are some of the sketches for the soup slurping scene that I mentioned several updates back in the “Best Animation you never saw” segment. Also notice the notes over the dwarves, “Doc is about ¼ head taller than the other dwarfs” “Grumpy is average size of dwarfs” Even with enlarging the picture, I can’t read what it says about Dopey.

I’m sure that this picture of Dopey was drawn as part of one of the “gags” that Walt encouraged his animators to draw, but did not make into the movie. This sketch of the dwarves for the Silly Song was one of many that they had on display.

[Continued in Next Post]

Old 01-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #207
franandaj

[Continued from Previous Post]

There was an entire wall dedicated to the Evil Queen, her lair and how that added to her personality.

Everything that appears in her “laboratory” is carefully calculated and placed in the film.

What they didn’t show in this part of the presentation, but I thought was incredibly fascinating was the thought that they put behind the transformation of Evil Queen. One specific thing that was mentioned was that it was incredibly painful to make the transformation and they wanted the viewer to realize that through the emotions and other animation. Here is the transformed queen.

There was also an entire section dedicated to the Evil Queen’s journey to deliver the apple and how forbodeing it was. One of the challenges of this story is that it was very dark and scary so Walt had to mix in other scenes to lighten the mood from these dark and morbid scenes.

As the dwarves chase the Evil Queen to her eventual demise, the scenes are still eerie dark and forboding.

In these storyboard sketches you see how the camera shifts from the animals looking in on Snow White to the scene of her in bed and then zooms out to show the dwarves at her bedside.

Evidently, they didn’t really know how to draw “pretty” masculine features for the prince so most of the shots of him are from behind. They took a beating in the press for downplaying the prince’s role so much that he was pretty much a cameo in the picture. This was made right in future films as Walt never forgot that.

They had a whole idea for Snow White and the prince to be transported off into this “stars in the skies” type of place, but part of the problem was that they just couldn’t draw the prince quite right. And the fact that it really didn’t further the story either.

They made Walt a “special” Oscar which was presented by Shirley Temple. You can see this on display in the foyer of the museum. However, it is now over in the Snow White exhibit while that it being featured.

Essentially this was just one BIG commercial for the museum. However, if you are in San Francisco in the next few months, I would highly urge you to go see it. It was quite good.

Wow! That concludes the “seminar” portion of the D23 event. However don’t fear! I still have the Concert with Alan Menken (though I can’t let you actually hear the music) to report on. I can tell you about the songs he sang and the stories that he told us. Then there is the “Diamond Level” part of the experience. Sitting in the front row wasn’t the only reason we paid through the nose to attend this event. The next day we spend the day at the Walt Disney Studios in Burbank!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #208
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Lovely session on Snow White. I love the Dopey sketch sawing the tree limb.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:47 AM   #209
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Lovely update, all of the details and inside information is so wonderful, I have learned so much reading thru your two different events.

Thanks for all the wonderful information.

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #210
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Can't wait to hear about Burbank! My friend's hubby worked there. While he liked the job, the commute was horrible.

Shirley Temple. I'm sad my kids don't enjoy her films. Classic. Loved her.

And you've got 16 days until your trip to WDW!

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: