Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
mrsmoku
Mouseketeer

first time! first day! MK or not?

DH and I will be spending 4 days at the parks in the last week of September for the second half of our honeymoon. We've never gone to WDW before so I've been reading up on the parks and bought a subscription to TGM to help plan.
Thing is, we're headed to the parks early Monday morning and TGM recommends visiting any of the parks EXCEPT MK for optimum touring that day. I'm worried we will visit another park that first day and not actually feel like we're in Disney because we haven't walked down Main Street and rode Pirates and Thunder... I know that if we were at DL, we would HAVE to go to DL before even thinking about CA.
TGM has colored Monday morning and night with yellow. I know I pretty much answered my own question in my question but has anyone had this situation before? Did you go to MK or at another park? Would you do it that same way again?

Thanks!

EDIT: I forgot to add that we will be arriving around noon on Sunday after a week long cruise so we were planning on just resting and getting ready. Would a ride in the monorail around MK be something that helps with that "officially in Disneyworld" feeling so we could head to a different park Monday morning??

Last edited by mrsmoku; 08-08-2012 at 07:09 AM.
mrsmoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
Moms
Mouseketeer

We went to MK on a Monday ... once. It was only after that that an experienced Disneyphile informed us that you NEVER do MK on a Monday! We have been many times since, done Mondays at EPCOT instead and still always felt properly "Disney-fied".

I understand what you mean about the iconic walk down main street so you COULD go to MK early, take your walk and ride POC then (assuming you have a park hopper option) hop on the monorail and head to Epcot before the crowds get too heavy at MK. You can then return to MK later in the week to finish the experience.

Happy Honeymoon!
Moms is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Hootch
DIS Veteran

We always

have park hoppers. If the MK is not our morning park we make it over there at some time the first day.

If you really want to to the MK the first day go for it. I doubt the parks will be that busy at the end of September. Except for the restaurants.

Last edited by Hootch; 08-08-2012 at 07:14 AM.
Hootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
nessz79
DIS Veteran

I remember wayyyy back to my first trip as a kid. We went to Epcot first and we had a great time. MK was no less magical the next day nor did we feel like we weren't in Disney that first day.

I think you should save MK for a day that will be less crowded. Plus you might be tired from traveling that first day. I hate doing MK when I'm tired from traveling- it's better to save a park that you aren't as "in to."
Old 08-08-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

I say you go for it. You're going at slower time of year, so odds are the park won't be elbow to elbow with people even on a not recommended day. On several occasions we've gone to a park that was not recommended for the day because it was the best day to visit for us and our plans. You just prepare yourself that it will be crowded, get there early and enjoy the day.

In your situation the only thing that might make me change my mind is if there is a MNSSHP the Sunday before. A couple years ago we went to MK on the Monday following an MNSSHP, and we went knowing that MK was not recommended for the day. However we had a b'fast ADR early that morning w/ friends who did not have park hopper passes, and the crowd level for the day was predicted to be a "4" so no biggie. It was also EMH that night, and after lunch the crowds just kept getting larger and larger. It certainly felt like more than a "4". We left around 5:00, but we get everything in we wanted to do.
Pixie Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:25 AM   #6
kiki7o5
Mouseketeer

I always fly in on a Monday and we do MK right after we check in. I typically go the first week in September and I have never run into a problem touring the park. I don't find it any more crowded than any other day and I have never waited for any of the rides, QS or snack lines in excess. I feel the same way about MK, when I walk down Main Street and ride Pirates for the first time I feel like my vacay has officially begun!

Mommy to Four Little Disney Fanatics!
Polynesian Since 2000!!
kiki7o5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #7
Phatoomch
DIS Veteran

Do it!!! First trip you have to visit MK first - its the law

Touring plans can be helpful but tbh, our trip we went to every park on the day to avoid it (we like late EMH) and we survived!
Phatoomch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
GraceMonica
DIS Veteran

I made the mistake to go to MK on a Monday last trip. It was horrid. The only saving grace was we had reservations in the castle for dinner...and it happened to be during wishes so it was extra special!

I would definitely try a different park. The parks all have those 'OMG we're in Disney!' vibes to them... at least for me they do! I did all the parks before MK last year and it was still very magical up to that point!

I will never go to MK on a Monday again...that's how bad it was. (I usually go in January when its 'low crowd' and I was shocked how many people were there!)
GraceMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
mrsmoku
Mouseketeer

thank you for all the suggestions and advice! We do have park hoppers for all four days and will take advantage of them.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #10
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Since you have park hoppers, I say get up early and head straight to MK. If you get there for rope-drop, you can experience Main St. and your favorite rides before the big crowds hit.

Then, take the monorail to Epcot and hit the F&W booths for a snack-around-the-world lunch.

OR - you could add a day to your tickets and head to MK for a couple of hours on Sunday afternoon/ evening. You don't have to plan on doing any rides, just soaking up the atmosphere, having a meal, or getting your picture taken with Mickey and/ or the princesses.

We did MK on a non-recommended Monday in early December 2010 (a supposedly "slower" time of year) and it was a nightmare. It took 1.5 hours to get through lunch at Columbia Harbor House, let alone ride any rides! PLUS, the weather was bad so I really did not expect the crowds that we encountered. The rest of the week was fine, at every park.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
mrsmoku
Mouseketeer

unfortunately, we can't add days because of were using the military promo tickets (yay for savings but sad they're only 4 days). I like the suggestion of doing rope drop and pirates and then going to another park for the rest of the day. I've heard the parks are all themed amazingly well, but it's just something about main street and the castle and pirates that marks the official Disney vacation (for me anyway!)
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
ghtx
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmoku View Post
unfortunately, we can't add days because of were using the military promo tickets (yay for savings but sad they're only 4 days). I like the suggestion of doing rope drop and pirates and then going to another park for the rest of the day. I've heard the parks are all themed amazingly well, but it's just something about main street and the castle and pirates that marks the official Disney vacation (for me anyway!)
Post # 5 on the ticket sticky (http://disboards.com/showpost.php?p=...01&postcount=5) says: "Because of their special tax-exempt status they cannot be upgraded or modified in any way at ticket booths or Guest Relations Offices. However, they can be modified or upgraded at Shades of Green."
Old 08-08-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
conniehar90
DIS Veteran

Are you only planning one MK day? If so, then I would plan on going there on the last day. We like to end our trip with the parade and Wishes - it really is magical and I would feel strange ending the trip at a different park.

We always start the trip with dinner at Chef Mickey's and then a ride on the monorail - it's fun!

Another option is to start Monday at a different park (AK or DHS) and then hop over to MK when you are done there. Don't plan on doing the headliners at MK, but there are a ton of attractions that won't have lines. If you want to maximize your time at all four parks you need to plan one morning at each (arrive before it opens and know where to go first).

Also, TGM has not updated his touring plans in awhile so make sure you go to the discussion boards on that site for additional help. For example, his DHS plan makes no mention of Toy Story but you need to head there first! His best days/best park advice is updated.

Have a great trip!
Old 08-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Freezing Cold B
Mouseketeer

I think you should go to MK on Monday. September crowds aren't very bad.

My homes away from home: Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Grand Californian

Me (27) DBF(29) DM DSD
Freezing Cold B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #15
Keepee
But the most wonderful thing about Keepees is I'm the only one! I'm, the only one!

We never do MK first- I dunno, partially that's because of the horrific crowds (LOL) but also I just kind of like saving the anticipation of MK for later on in the trip .
Keepee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: