Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #736
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Highlights

Since I'm very sad that this report is over, I thought it would be fun to create a post looking back at this trip's food highlights. We truly enjoyed the food overall, so these are simply my "best of the best".

Boma

Hard boiled egg, goat cheese & chive scrambled eggs, grilled asparagus, tomatoes, chakalaka, and turkey bobotie

Roast beef with chakalaka, sambal, and Boma mustard

French toast bread pudding with bananas foster sauce

Jiko

Artisanal cheese selection with peach-ginger jam, fig and almond cake, cherry gelée, and dates

Chermoula-roasted head on Nigerian prawns with english pea nage, saffron rice, and orange and olive salad

Chocolate and Tea Safari: Tanzanian chocolate cake topped with vanilla rooibos mousse, served with an earl grey sauce, mint-green tea ice cream, and free form "kit kat"

Organic rooibos

Madagascar Vanilla cheesecake with strawberry-rhubarb compote and a chocolate graham crust

Sweet Spells

Carrot cake cookie

Artist Point

Alaskan king crab and Brentwood sweet corn fritter with yellow watermelon salsa, avocado, and Fresno chile aïoli

Oak smoked venison carpaccio with Washington State cherries, drunken goat cheese, fennel, and shaved black truffle

Pan-roasted Pacific halibut with summer corn and chèvre porridge, caramelized rapini, black Mission fig relish, and cabernet vinaigrette

Artist Point cobbler with seasonal berries and house-made black raspberry ice cream

Babycakes

French toastie cupcake

Roaring Fork

Chocolate caramel cupcake

Cosmic Ray's

Sharing an order of chili cheese fries with Brenda

Main Street Confectionery

Chocolate-covered pineapple

The Wave

Raspberry macaron (served on top of the white chocolate crème brûlée)

DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #737
Roma
Mouseketeer

Love your highlights! Although I see cupcakes and prawns but no soups? Oh well - who needs soup when you have a chocolate caramel cupcake!

You look like you had such a great trip. Sometimes I forget you probably did other things at WDW besides eat .
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 07:39 AM   #738
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

Wonderful highlights! After seeing the pictures again, I need to find a free morning to do breakfast at Boma!!
PS does anyone else agree that we need some more food related emojis?!

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:48 AM   #739
sushi candy
Foodie

I am definitely making sure I visit Boma, Jiko, and Artist Point. Love the highlights!!!
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #740
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Love the highlights DDW! As God is my witness, I will not cancel Boma again! I want some of that bananas foster french toast.

But the highlight of course was those prawns!!

Next you can create a list of places that are on your must dine list for future visits or an all time dining highlights list or ??..... I'm trying to think of ways to keep this alive. I DON'T want it to end.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 AM   #741
Tracerr00
DIS Veteran

Oh goody!! Highlights!

I agree with emmysmommy - how about a must do list for your next trip?
Tracerr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:26 AM   #742
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Another wonderful DR as always! I hope you get to plan another trip soon. In the mean time, enjoy your culinary adventures around Philly and good luck at school this year!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:12 PM   #743
debrapagliasotti
DIS Veteran

Another great DR! Sad to see its over.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:58 PM   #744
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
Love your highlights! Although I see cupcakes and prawns but no soups? Oh well - who needs soup when you have a chocolate caramel cupcake!

You look like you had such a great trip. Sometimes I forget you probably did other things at WDW besides eat .
The soups were very good, but they just missed making it onto the highlights page. Other honorable mentions include The Wave's bison burger and Artist Point's prawn & crab hot pot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
Wonderful highlights! After seeing the pictures again, I need to find a free morning to do breakfast at Boma!!
PS does anyone else agree that we need some more food related emojis?!
Yes! Sometimes , , , and aren't descriptive enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
I am definitely making sure I visit Boma, Jiko, and Artist Point. Love the highlights!!!
You'll definitely have some great meals to look forward to next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Love the highlights DDW! As God is my witness, I will not cancel Boma again! I want some of that bananas foster french toast.

But the highlight of course was those prawns!!

Next you can create a list of places that are on your must dine list for future visits or an all time dining highlights list or ??..... I'm trying to think of ways to keep this alive. I DON'T want it to end.
You have to try Boma - it's currently my favorite Disney breakfast! They offer something for everyone, from breakfast standards (plain eggs, potatoes, bacon, sausage, pastries, etc - I always skip that stuff ) to unique, African-inspired breakfast foods (and of course that bread pudding).

That's a great idea! I'll definitely work on a list of places on my radar for next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerr00 View Post
Oh goody!! Highlights!

I agree with emmysmommy - how about a must do list for your next trip?
The list should be coming up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Another wonderful DR as always! I hope you get to plan another trip soon. In the mean time, enjoy your culinary adventures around Philly and good luck at school this year!
Thanks so much! It's going to be a tough year, but knowing that we'll be back at Disney eventually is something that keeps me motivated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrapagliasotti View Post
Another great DR! Sad to see its over.
I know, this is always the saddest part (especially without another trip already planned), but at least there are a bunch of other awesome dining reports to read.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #745
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Dining Wish List

Even though we don’t have a trip planned yet, I won’t let that stop me from thinking about future meals at WDW. I already have plenty of places in mind for ‘next time’ (or even ‘next next time’), and thanks to Brenda’s and Tracy's encouragement, I've decided to share that list here.

Be Our Guest

This landmark of New Fantasyland is understandably at the top of my list. Not only is the decor supposed to be beautiful, but I also think the French-inspired menu is going to top every other option at Magic Kingdom. For lunch, the tuna niçoise salad sounds amazing, while dinner offers interesting choices such as mussels provençal, pan-seared salmon on leek fondue, and ratatouille with quinoa. I like that the dessert menu offers lighter options and smaller portions, but between the cupcakes and cream puffs, it’ll be tough to pick just one!

Whispering Canyon Cafe

This probably seems like an odd choice, but it’s the only restaurant at Wilderness Lodge that I haven’t tried, and I’d like to check it off my ‘list’. WCC has never appealed to me that much, but oddly enough, I actually like the new dinner menu more than the old one. I like how the skillet now includes fish as an option, and the jalapeño-lime cheesecake sounds quite good to me. One reason why I’m hesitant to come here is the price - $33 is a lot to pay, since that same cash could get me a phenomenal entree at Artist Point or Jiko.

Bistro de Paris Replacement

My first meal at Bistro (even before the DDP was accepted) was somewhat disappointing. The food was well-prepared but not especially creative or interesting. Furthermore, it was kind of ridiculous to see servers in tuxedos while guests were wearing hats and tank tops. Finally, service was too slow (and not in a good way – it seemed like my server was overworked). The ongoing refurbishment is going to change a lot of this. The restaurant is going to feel less ‘stuffy’, waiters will no longer wear tuxedos, and the menu is also receiving an update. Overall, I can't wait to see how the replacement restaurant compares.

Kona Cafe

I've never been in love with Kona, but its most recent menu changes are definitely impressive to me! Here are some of the dishes I'd like to try:

-Grilled Beef Satay with Bulgogi Sauce (this appetizer is only on the lunch menu - I like how it's influenced by Korean flavors!)
-Pan-seared Duck Breast served with Mung, Adzuki, and Cranberry Beans, with Chorizo Sausage and Spinach in a Tamarind Gastrique
-Steamed Littleneck Clams with Winter Squash, Spinach, and Macadamia Nuts
-Jasmine Tea-infused Cheesecake with Orange-Ginger Balsamic Glaze - A Low-Glycemic Dessert Option (this sounds so interesting!)

The Wave

Currently one of my favorite non-signature restaurants at WDW (as emphasized by this report), The Wave is a place that I could happily return to over and over, thanks to its creative and seasonal menu changes. Some current dishes I'd be interested in ordering are:

-Sustainable Fish Taco with Avocado Gelato and House-made soft Flour Tortillas
-Grilled Beef Tenderloin with Goji Berry-Red Wine Reduction, Three-Potato Hash, and Locally-sourced Butternut Squash Risotto

Le Cellier Lunch

LC is currently one of the most polarizing restaurants in the WDW universe. Some people absolutely love it, from the cheese soup to the maple crème brûlée. Others say “Le Cellier is awful! I think it's sooooo overrated. Anyone who likes it has probably never been to a steakhouse better than Outback”. I find myself in between these two warring factions - I don't love LC, but those extremely negative comments about LC (and about the people who like it) still irritate me. The change to a 'signature' restaurant has pushed more and more people into the latter category.

So what's the point of my little rant? With lunch poised to become a 2-credit meal next year, I'm personally willing to give it a chance. Will the food improve to match the level of the current dinner menu? I actually really like the current dinner menu - almost every appetizer sounds great to me (besides the caesar salad or cheddar cheese soup), and some of the desserts also sound great (summer melon and cucumber sorbet with cucumber, micro mint, and sea salt - yum!). What about atmosphere - will tables be spaced further apart to match the atmosphere of resort signatures? Overall, I won't give up on LC until I have a solid reason to give up. It's not my favorite, but I've definitely enjoyed a lot of food there.

In case the menus linked above end up changing, here are pics of the dinner appetizer and dessert menus that I was referring to.

Overall, I can't wait to return to WDW, whenever that is. As you can see, there are always exciting food changes in the works, so whenever we make it back, there will be something new and delicious to enjoy.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #746
sushi candy
Foodie

I love that you added Le Cellier! Yup, you know I am a fan,lol. I am definitely adding Bistro, Whispering Canyon, and Be Our Guest to my future visit as well. I am glad Brenda and Tracy coaxed you to do this,
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #747
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
I love that you added Le Cellier! Yup, you know I am a fan,lol. I am definitely adding Bistro, Whispering Canyon, and Be Our Guest to my future visit as well. I am glad Brenda and Tracy coaxed you to do this,
I also like Le Cellier! And while some people are understandably upset about having to pay twice as much (in terms of DDP credits) for LC's signature dishes (cheese soup, mushroom filet, and maple crème brûlée), I see plenty of menu items I'd be happy to pay OOP for. Between the summer fig salad, seared scallop appetizer, and melon & cucumber sorbet, that could be a fantastic meal.

And I can't wait to see reviews for the new Bistro, new WCC dinner menu, and Be Our Guest. All of these places really intrigue me, and hopefully it won't be too long before I get to share my thoughts on some of them.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #748
Roma
Mouseketeer

I am in total agreement with you on LC. I feel like a lot of people's current anger towards it stems from the dining plan. I'm not a big DP fan so the switch to a 2 credit lunch doesn't really bother me.

Disney should pay you to be a spokesperson for the Wave! I think way more people would try it if they had you selling it to them.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #749
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I am in total agreement with you on LC. I feel like a lot of people's current anger towards it stems from the dining plan. I'm not a big DP fan so the switch to a 2 credit lunch doesn't really bother me.

Disney should pay you to be a spokesperson for the Wave! I think way more people would try it if they had you selling it to them.
It'll be interesting to see what happens with Le Cellier. Assuming the lunch menu actually improves, then I'm perfectly fine with the change.

And thanks so much for your Wave comment!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #750
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

THANK YOU so much for indulging us in your wish list - this was PERFECT!!

Your choices do not surprise too much - BOG is tops on my list for sure. I'm a fan of LC as long as they keep the petite filet on the lunch menu! I don't use the DP so I'm not worried about credit value. When I saw the price on the dinner menu for the cheddar soup I was surprised to see $9!! But then I remembered that I gladly pay $10 or $11 for the Smokey Portobello Soup at AP!

As for WCC... the concept sounds good but I just don't see enough things that look appealing to me to make it worth $33! Although I like the idea of a dessert sampler.

Thank you again DDW!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: