Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #31
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsmail View Post
I booked our airline tickets today. It's real now!
Even more real when the bill comes lol
Old 09-10-2012, 04:24 PM   #32
momsmail
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Even more real when the bill comes lol
Hehehe! Already paid for the tickets. Plugging away at the hotel package. Was surprisingly inexpensive, which will allow me to take a significant amount for spending money. It is expensive all together, but so worth it. Right? LOL

Speaking of which... We will be there for 7 nights, not doing the dining package. Do you think $1800 for spending (hotel, air, transportation and park tickets paid for already) for my son and I will be sufficient? This would be just for food and souveniers.

2/16/13 - 2/23/13 - DL/CA (First time as an adult! Just my 4 year old son and I. )
1992 - DL (I was 11)
1985 - DL (I was 4)

momsmail is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #33
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

We'll be there Feb 4th -13th! Airline tickets booked and paid for (ouch!) hotel booked and paid for, stopping in San Francisco on way down. Doing Disney (of course!) seaworld, hollywood, the block at orange, longbeach/queen mary and companyD. Hope the crowds are low this time! Always hoping!

DLRP Aug '94 - Hotel Sante Fe
DLRP Mar '95 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLRP Jan '01 - Hotel Cheyenne . DLRP Jan '07 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLR Cal Jan '08 - Hilton Anaheim . DLR Cal Dec '08 - Marriott Anaheim . DLR Cal Jan '12 - Fairfield Inn . DLR Cal May '12 - Carousel Inn
Disneydreamsdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
momsmail
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydreamsdancer View Post
We'll be there Feb 4th -13th! Airline tickets booked and paid for (ouch!) hotel booked and paid for, stopping in San Francisco on way down. Doing Disney (of course!) seaworld, hollywood, the block at orange, longbeach/queen mary and companyD. Hope the crowds are low this time! Always hoping!
That sounds like the funnest trip! Are you going to do Universal Studios? I hope the crowds are low for you too!!

Have you been to Disneyland before? We will be flying directly from Oregon with a quick stop (no plane change) and directly into Orange County. Flying Southwest.

Your trip sounds amazing, so much to look forward to!

2/16/13 - 2/23/13 - DL/CA (First time as an adult! Just my 4 year old son and I. )
1992 - DL (I was 11)
1985 - DL (I was 4)

Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #35
OnTheRoadAgain
DIS Veteran

We're available to go to DL the Thursday (2/14) through Sunday (2/17) BEFORE President's Day 2/18. What were the crowds like last year the week before?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:48 PM   #36
Susie63
Dreamin' of Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsmail View Post
Hehehe! Already paid for the tickets. Plugging away at the hotel package. Was surprisingly inexpensive, which will allow me to take a significant amount for spending money. It is expensive all together, but so worth it. Right? LOL

Speaking of which... We will be there for 7 nights, not doing the dining package. Do you think $1800 for spending (hotel, air, transportation and park tickets paid for already) for my son and I will be sufficient? This would be just for food and souveniers.
You will come home with some mighty nice souveniers and a full tummy with that budget
Old 09-10-2012, 07:18 PM   #37
MaloCS
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsmail

Duuuude! This is scarin' the heck outta me! We will be there Sat 16th - Sat 23rd. Sounds like a pretty busy time! I am not a crowd person, but I expect it when going to Disney. I will have to prepare my son (and myself) to expect the worst and go with the flow.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Here's to hoping Feb 2013 is freakishly slow.
I'm sorry if I scared you but I wished someone would have told me the honest truth about Disneyland during Presidents Day. I admit that I was a newb and didn't do the research to find out if the park had the capability of being over crowded that week. Regardless, what we experienced could have been an anomaly and your trip may be quite pleasant.

If I ever take my family back I will do my best to avoid holidays, school vacation days, government furlough days and special events. However, this preparation may not produce the expected results so I will prepare myself for the worst and be happy if the crowd levels are light.

I will also take advantage of every 'Early Entry' opportunity and utilize the 'FastPass' system like my life depended on it. I admit that during our February, 2012 trip we didn't take advantage of these perks because we were under the impression that "tomorrow would be better". We just didn't know any better because our perception of Disneyland was forged from two trips taken in the late nineties; a much different era in Disneyland culture.

As it stands right now I've learned that due to the saturation of local, Annual Pass holders there really isn't an off season anymore. From my experience this statement is true and I would plan any future trips around this recent phenomenon. I guess it boils down to this; when visiting Disneyland outside of summer, expect large crowds made up of local, Annual Pass holders instead of out-of-state tourists.

Good luck.
MaloCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:37 PM   #38
momsmail
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie63 View Post
You will come home with some mighty nice souveniers and a full tummy with that budget

Thank you for the reply! I am really glad to hear this. I always hear how expensive it is there, and hoped it would be enough. LOL I was also thinking of shopping at Target for snacks and meals and getting a locker each day for lunch. But heck, we might just have filet mignon each day, LOL! I kid. Saving some money would be great.

1992 - DL (I was 11)
1985 - DL (I was 4)

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #39
momsmail
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaloCS View Post
I'm sorry if I scared you but I wished someone would have told me the honest truth about Disneyland during Presidents Day. I admit that I was a newb and didn't do the research to find out if the park had the capability of being over crowded that week. Regardless, what we experienced could have been an anomaly and your trip may be quite pleasant.

If I ever take my family back I will do my best to avoid holidays, school vacation days, government furlough days and special events. However, this preparation may not produce the expected results so I will prepare myself for the worst and be happy if the crowd levels are light.

I will also take advantage of every 'Early Entry' opportunity and utilize the 'FastPass' system like my life depended on it. I admit that during our February, 2012 trip we didn't take advantage of these perks because we were under the impression that "tomorrow would be better". We just didn't know any better because our perception of Disneyland was forged from two trips taken in the late nineties; a much different era in Disneyland culture.

As it stands right now I've learned that due to the saturation of local, Annual Pass holders there really isn't an off season anymore. From my experience this statement is true and I would plan any future trips around this recent phenomenon. I guess it boils down to this; when visiting Disneyland outside of summer, expect large crowds made up of local, Annual Pass holders instead of out-of-state tourists.

Good luck.
Thanks again for this info. I am doing research on fastpass, hope to use it as much as possible. The last time I was in Disneyland I was a kid, in the nineties, and I remember the long (2 hours+ wait) lines for attractions such as Splash Mountain.

The info about the annual pass holders is very valuable to me. I couldn't find info on this via Disney's site, but I will keep looking. Too late now, as the trip is all booked, but it will be good to know going into it what to expect.

That is partly one of the reasons I chose to stay so many days, because I felt we could get away from the park to rest as to avoid melt downs (for both myself and my 4 year old, lol). I don't want to feel guilty or like we're "missing out". KWIM?

I really appreciate your advice and feedback and am open to hearing suggestions and more advice if you have any to share!

1992 - DL (I was 11)
1985 - DL (I was 4)

Old 09-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #40
Disneydreamsdancer
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsmail

That sounds like the funnest trip! Are you going to do Universal Studios? I hope the crowds are low for you too!!

Have you been to Disneyland before? We will be flying directly from Oregon with a quick stop (no plane change) and directly into Orange County. Flying Southwest.

Your trip sounds amazing, so much to look forward to!
Thank you!! Yes this is our 5th trip, and I'm so excited!!! Ive spent far too much on trips to california (this is my 3rd this year and its a 26 hour round trip for us) but I am just hooked! Never done universal, part of me wants to wait till the new Harry Potter park opens, then I will be first in line! hope you have a great trip and Feb turns into a great park month for us all!

DLRP Aug '94 - Hotel Sante Fe
DLRP Mar '95 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLRP Jan '01 - Hotel Cheyenne . DLRP Jan '07 - Hotel Sante Fe . DLR Cal Jan '08 - Hilton Anaheim . DLR Cal Dec '08 - Marriott Anaheim . DLR Cal Jan '12 - Fairfield Inn . DLR Cal May '12 - Carousel Inn
Disneydreamsdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #41
nyck
Mouseketeer

We are going Feb 14 and coming on Feb 18th which is President's Day. We will go to DCA Friday and Disneyland Saturday. Sunday we will do walt's footsteps tour and whatever else we didn't get done the first 2 days so hopefully it wont be too bad

nyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 PM   #42
dmband
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie63 View Post
Yeah I didn't spend anywhere near that on food and gifts for a fam of five
Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #43
momsmail
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneydreamsdancer View Post
Thank you!! Yes this is our 5th trip, and I'm so excited!!! Ive spent far too much on trips to california (this is my 3rd this year and its a 26 hour round trip for us) but I am just hooked! Never done universal, part of me wants to wait till the new Harry Potter park opens, then I will be first in line! hope you have a great trip and Feb turns into a great park month for us all!
26 hours, wow! How fun for you!! The Harry Potter park will be amazing, I can't wait for that, we will go for sure. I'll be right behind ya in line, lol. Let's cross our fingers for low crowds and decent weather.

1992 - DL (I was 11)
1985 - DL (I was 4)

Old 09-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #44
momsmail
Earning My Ears

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmband View Post
Yeah I didn't spend anywhere near that on food and gifts for a fam of five
Thank you for the feedback, I guess I'll have a few extra bucks in my wallet.

1992 - DL (I was 11)
1985 - DL (I was 4)

Old 09-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #45
momsmail
Earning My Ears

Fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyck View Post
We are going Feb 14 and coming on Feb 18th which is President's Day. We will go to DCA Friday and Disneyland Saturday. Sunday we will do walt's footsteps tour and whatever else we didn't get done the first 2 days so hopefully it wont be too bad

How fun! Walt's Footsteps tour looks great. We will be there Sunday too!

1992 - DL (I was 11)
1985 - DL (I was 4)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: