Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #211
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976
 
bjscheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilly View Post
So if I'm understanding this technique correctly it will only work for those staying at a DL resort hotel when those guests have EE, such as a Sunday morning? We are staying offsite and only have one day to spend at DLR and the top priority is CL. We planned on visiting on a Sunday and from what I'm reading DCA opens at 8am. We planned on being at park by 715am. Is that too early? And since it is an EE day at DCA, should we just go for fast passes to RSR or will the standby not be too bad at that point? Sorry for all the questions but this is our first trip to DCA. Any insight/tips are welcome !
Thanks!
I have asked this and been told if you don't have EMH, you can still do wide right in order to at least be ahead of all of the other regular entry folks. There will already be EMH people in line, so there will be a wait, but it will be better if you are at the front of the regular entry people.

I haven't decided for sure on our strategy- our days are Sun-Tues, so Tuesday is the only day that CA doesn't have EMH. But it's also the only day we could use our MM at DL. We'll play that morning by ear since it's our last day. But on our Sunday- first day- I don't know whether to head straight for FP, do wide right to standby and hope for a shortish line, or do wide right to the single rider line. Our kids are okay with SR.

Anybody know how the single rider line would be if we did wide right at regular entry on an EMH day? Also does wide right still have you end up near the SR line?
__________________
April 2005- Off-site
December 2006- Pop Century
November 2008- AS Movies
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #212
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl
 
ArchOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 2,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahilly View Post
So if I'm understanding this technique correctly it will only work for those staying at a DL resort hotel when those guests have EE, such as a Sunday morning? We are staying offsite and only have one day to spend at DLR and the top priority is CL. We planned on visiting on a Sunday and from what I'm reading DCA opens at 8am. We planned on being at park by 715am. Is that too early? And since it is an EE day at DCA, should we just go for fast passes to RSR or will the standby not be too bad at that point? Sorry for all the questions but this is our first trip to DCA. Any insight/tips are welcome !
Thanks!
Wide right will still get you ahead of all the other folks who are joining you for regular entry. But you will be behind everyone who was there for EE. So you will not get the full benefit of wide right. But if you want to ride standby, it is better to do wide right than nothing. On a busy day, the standby line will probably already be an hour long.

For me personally, I prefer to get RSR FPs when I don't have EE. I get there between 7:15-7:30am and get in line as soon as possible for RSR FPs. I then send out folks for Starbucks and get breakfast while waiting. If I am getting in line by 7:30am, I expect about 15-20 minute wait for FPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsknacke View Post
Unfortunately the technique won't work if it's an EE day and you're not able to attend the EE. You could try for fast passes but from what I saw when I was there 2 weeks ago was the fast pass line was so long it wrapped around to Tower of Terror and the machines were at the entrance to Bugs Land (across from the big waterfall). I heard it was like a 2 hr wait just to get a FP and they do run out. So you could still line up early and a family member who is a fast runner run straight for the FP line. There will be people lined up from EE but they do not open machines until the actual regular park opening.
I have never heard of a 2 hour wait for RSR FPs except for the first week it was open. I have stood in the RSR FP line 10+ times and if you are back by the Tower of Terror it is about a 30 minute wait for FPs. Considering the standby line for RSR is often 3x that long, I don't think the FP line is that bad.

As long as you are in the RSR FP line by around 7:30am, you will get a RSR FP. They do run out quickly, but you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
I have asked this and been told if you don't have EMH, you can still do wide right in order to at least be ahead of all of the other regular entry folks. There will already be EMH people in line, so there will be a wait, but it will be better if you are at the front of the regular entry people.

I haven't decided for sure on our strategy- our days are Sun-Tues, so Tuesday is the only day that CA doesn't have EMH. But it's also the only day we could use our MM at DL. We'll play that morning by ear since it's our last day. But on our Sunday- first day- I don't know whether to head straight for FP, do wide right to standby and hope for a shortish line, or do wide right to the single rider line. Our kids are okay with SR.

Anybody know how the single rider line would be if we did wide right at regular entry on an EMH day? Also does wide right still have you end up near the SR line?
The single rider line works pretty much the same. When you approach RSR, there are three lines. The single rider line is the leftmost line, the FP line is in the middle, and the standby line is on the right. If you are doing wide right, you will have to get out of the general herd line and move to the left. It isn't that hard, though, as all three lines are fairly close to one another. On a busy day, the line for RSR standby can easily approach one hour when the park opens and then increase steadily throughout the day.

If you want to ride together as a family, I would probably suggest getting RSR FPs.
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-14-2013, 04:05 PM   #213
iamadisneynut
Mouseketeer
 
iamadisneynut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 399

Question about this technique: if we plan on doing DCA on a non early entry day as we're staying offsite will this work? My plan is to do the wide right with DS (5) and send DH with DD (11) to get fast passes and then they can ride single rider and we'll all meet up after?

Would this work??
__________________
DH Me DSD DD DSD DSD DS

iamadisneynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #214
billbillbill
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25

We were there this last weekend.

Friday was an EE day for hotel guests so we opted for fast passes. We got to the park about 10 minutes before opening. The family headed to TSMM while I got in line which was at the animation academy building. It took about 30 min. to get fastpasses with a return of 1:30-2:30 pm.

Saturday, we got there 20 minutes before opening, did wide right and were on the ride with about a 15 min. wait.
billbillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 PM   #215
SuperPreparo
Earning My Ears
 
SuperPreparo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Lockport, NY
Posts: 33

We were at DLP last weekend and used this technique on one of our EMH mornings. Unfortunately as we were heading to Carsland behind the CM's they announced that RSR wasn't running, and they were not letting people line up. If it had been up I could see that we would have been in position to be among the first on. EMH started at 7:30 on Sunday so we left the Grand Californian about 6:30. We went to the line furthest to the left as it was the shortest, and just before the park opening they opened up more lines to the left of us so we ended up first on line and first behind the CM's all the way to the right. I can see how it would have worked perfectly if RSR had been open. We weren't too concerned since Monday was also an EMH for CA, but RSR did open before the regular park opening and we were able to ride it with only a 30 minute wait. I have to say once the park opened the fastpass line was insane. I would try the single rider line before waiting that long for a fastpass.
__________________


"Always within a 15' radius of a Mickey"
SuperPreparo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:28 PM   #216
aussie shaz
DIS Veteran
 
aussie shaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 580

We went in last Monday which was an EMH morning, but we didn't have it. We were near the front of the line at the gates. We were held at rope drop for 15 mins or so, then when everyone headed for Carsland, we went to Toy Story Mania. The rest of our group then did Mickeys Fun Wheel while my husband went to get RSR fastpasses. This was probably around 9.20am. He waited for about 10-15 mins, then re-joined us. The return time was 3.40-4.40. We went on at about 4pm and waited no longer than 15 mins. It worked out great. No need to wait for ages before opening to get fastpasses. They were gone by 11am that day.
__________________
[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url
aussie shaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #217
whoever
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Historic Downtown Phoenix
Posts: 1,438

Exercised the wide right on two mornings, but due to pushy patrons, I don't know how you can manage to be one of the first 20 on the ride. First hundred, sure.
whoever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #218
Baxhappyplace
Mouseketeer
 
Baxhappyplace's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 357

More on wide right

I am guessing a lot of people have read about this and are going to do it. Isn't that going to be hard if so many people are trying this? Or do you think the majority of the people don't know about this? We want to try this in July and we are hoping that we can ride it and then go and get a fast pass to ride it again during night time. I am just curious if everybody is going to be pushing to be on the far right side.
Baxhappyplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:08 PM   #219
sgrap
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The beautiful PNW!
Posts: 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxhappyplace View Post
I am guessing a lot of people have read about this and are going to do it. Isn't that going to be hard if so many people are trying this? Or do you think the majority of the people don't know about this? We want to try this in July and we are hoping that we can ride it and then go and get a fast pass to ride it again during night time. I am just curious if everybody is going to be pushing to be on the far right side.
When we were there in the beginning of March, there definitely were people who knew it and were pushing and aggressively fighting to get to the front right, even though we were already in that position. One family sent their boy who couldn't have been more than 5 up to the front, and he was squeezing around us to get there. My husband saw a fight almost break out in the queue between 2 guys because 1 guy wanted to move ahead to his family, and the other guy thought his family should move back to him. However, it still will help you to get there as early as possible and go to the front right.
sgrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #220
cuteinnocent
Mouseketeer
 
cuteinnocent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 141

We did it on a non early entry day. Didn't get in there until just before rope drop (like minutes!) and the technique worked well with my thin son (squeezing through everyone) leading the way we got up to probably within 20 - 30th in line. The problem was RSR didn't open right away, there was something wrong they were fixing so it was like 45min late to open. Ugh!! By the time we got out of there I went in the FP line for it and was in there a while but they ran out before my turn. We should've just gotten the FP first thing instead and could've finished other rides during that morning time.
cuteinnocent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #221
Sun Lover
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 72

I need some advice. We will be there next week and are staying off grounds at the Ayres Hotel. We purchased the California City Passes. When I bought them, I noticed it said it included one Magic Morning but didn't realize it was only good for Disneyland, not California Adventure. I was intending to use the MM for RSR. We will only be there next Tuesday & Wednesday and have the MM for Disneyland on Tuesday. Which morning should we go to RSR? Should we all go through the turnstiles at Disneyland on Tuesday with the MM early hour and then send one of us over to RSR to wait in line for Fast Passes? Do you think the crowds at CA would be significantly smaller if it is a MM day at Disneyland? If it's going to make that much of a difference, I guess we could skip the MM at Disneyland and just get to CA earlier to wait in line. Also, Wednesday is a grad night date and I'm wondering how many kids will be up that early heading to CA. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Sun Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #222
bjscheel
I voted for tigers!
Pork Baby of 1976
 
bjscheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Iowa
Posts: 3,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lover View Post
I need some advice. We will be there next week and are staying off grounds at the Ayres Hotel. We purchased the California City Passes. When I bought them, I noticed it said it included one Magic Morning but didn't realize it was only good for Disneyland, not California Adventure. I was intending to use the MM for RSR. We will only be there next Tuesday & Wednesday and have the MM for Disneyland on Tuesday. Which morning should we go to RSR? Should we all go through the turnstiles at Disneyland on Tuesday with the MM early hour and then send one of us over to RSR to wait in line for Fast Passes? Do you think the crowds at CA would be significantly smaller if it is a MM day at Disneyland? If it's going to make that much of a difference, I guess we could skip the MM at Disneyland and just get to CA earlier to wait in line. Also, Wednesday is a grad night date and I'm wondering how many kids will be up that early heading to CA. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks.
Well, we skipped our MM in favor of getting on RSR first on a non EMH day. But we were there three days and didn't feel we needed the extra time at DL. That day I did get a FP at 9:15 for the 6:00 hour with no wait. Park opened at 8. So in your case maybe sending a runner over might work. (This was just this week.)
__________________
April 2005- Off-site
December 2006- Pop Century
November 2008- AS Movies
November 2009- CBR
June 2011- POR
June 2013- DisneyLand/San Diego
June 2014- CBR

DH Me DD16 DD13

For it is by grace you have been saved through faith, and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast. (Ephesians 2: 8-9)
bjscheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #223
dnamertz
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 811

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
Exercised the wide right on two mornings, but due to pushy patrons, I don't know how you can manage to be one of the first 20 on the ride. First hundred, sure.
Are pushy people common when trying to do the wide right technique? When they drop the rope do a lot of people run to the ride (even though they aren't supposed to)? I'll be in a group with a couple of not-so-speedy people, so even if we position ourselves good in the far right position, are we going to get passed by tons of people after they drop the rope? How close to the line entrance do they drop the rope?
dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #224
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl
 
ArchOwl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sunny CA
Posts: 2,254

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post

Are pushy people common when trying to do the wide right technique? When they drop the rope do a lot of people run to the ride (even though they aren't supposed to)? I'll be in a group with a couple of not-so-speedy people, so even if we position ourselves good in the far right position, are we going to get passed by tons of people after they drop the rope? How close to the line entrance do they drop the rope?
I have never seen running, they walk in front of the crowd with a rope (er, hose) and then Lightning McQueen meets you at the entrance to Carsland and "paces" you down. There is definitely jockeying for position, but I haven't been pushed. If you have slower people in your party, they should do okay because no one is running and they walk you pretty slowly. You just have to stand your ground.

Sure, there are always rude people. But most people realize how a line works. They do not drop the rope until the first person approaches the queue. They even pace you through the queue to avoid running. Employees enter the queue first and force the queue to walk slowly.

I have done wide right with young children and we did fine, probably were about thirtieth in line or so. We have seen people trying to crowd over being told to stop it by CMs, so they do try to police it as best they can. I think it is surprisingly well done given how many people are trying to enter the queue at once! Have fun!
ArchOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:52 AM   #225
NMMickeymom
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: In the Mountains, New Mexico
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjscheel View Post
Well, we skipped our MM in favor of getting on RSR first on a non EMH day. But we were there three days and didn't feel we needed the extra time at DL. That day I did get a FP at 9:15 for the 6:00 hour with no wait. Park opened at 8. So in your case maybe sending a runner over might work. (This was just this week.)
We were there last week as well. We did one RSR morning with our EE and then got a FP. Two other mornings we showed up later 9-9:30 and got FP for around 6:30pm and then around 10am for 8pm entry with FP ticket lines around 10 minutes. If you have your heart set on going on the ride I would not push it till that late but we loved the ride in the evening. I was never able to test the far right technique as I never managed to get there for rope drop. I was able to ride 4x in a 5 day visit. It is a fantastic ride, totally worth all the fuss.
__________________

Lots of family trips as a kid to DL, Dland '89, WDW '96, WDW Poly '98, DLH '99,WDW '00,WDW All Star Music '01, DLH '03, Dland DLH '04, WDW Port Orleans Dec '05, Dland GCH Dec '06, WDW Contemporary May '08, March 09 Disney Wonder 4 night + Polynesian, Nov '09 Disney Wonder 3 night, DLH 6 nights June '10, Dec '10, Carnival Mexican Riveria, DLH 4 nights Dec '12, Poly + Disney Fantasy Eastern June '12, Dland Paradise Pier June '13
NMMickeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cars land, mm hour, rsr, wide right



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: