Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 01:23 AM   #196
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Silly iphone! I meant to say of course that assumes RSR is up and running during EMH.

How long the standby line is at regular park opening depends on a lot of different factors. I have seen it as short as 20-30 minutes to an hour plus at regular park opening. Most of the time I prefer to get FPs if I don't have early entry, but I am line phobic and don't like waiting in standby.
ArchOwl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #197
Czardas
Mouseketeer

Did the wide right today for he first time. Got to EMH at 7.30 for an 8 entry, we were about 4th in queue. They let us in 15 minutes early. We stayed hard right. They slowly walked us down and we were behind the first couple in front of the CM holding the gas pump handle. We ended up on the second car. It worked perfectly. We then joined fast pass queue at 8.45. At 9am it moved fast and we got a return time of 10.10-11.10' but RSR broke down on our return. We waited another hour and it was still down . Eventually we got on the ride and it broke down whilst we were on it. We got stuck just after Mater and the tractors on their backs. Waited 10-15 until we went again. We got to stay on for a repeat ride
well done to the hard right it works very well
Disneyland Oct 26-29 2011 - Park Vue Inn
Disneyland Sep 09 - Park Vue Inn
Disneyland Feb 08 - Camelot Inn & Suites
Czardas is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #198
dnamertz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchOwl View Post
Silly iphone! I meant to say of course that assumes RSR is up and running during EMH.

How long the standby line is at regular park opening depends on a lot of different factors. I have seen it as short as 20-30 minutes to an hour plus at regular park opening. Most of the time I prefer to get FPs if I don't have early entry, but I am line phobic and don't like waiting in standby.
Do the guests staying at a DL hotel get to use EMH on every day of their stay, or just on one of the days?

If I'm not staying on DL property, and I have a 5 day park hopper (for Mon thru Fri), that means I can use my MM entry into DL on either Tue or Thu, leaving the other day as the only day I can enter DCA at rope drop without DL hotel guests already being in the park. So, that would be the day I do the wide right technique, but then what should be my plan immediately after exiting RSR to best maximize being in the park when it first opens?
dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:44 PM   #199
Rubygoose
Everybody's got a laughing place

My DS is 40 and a half inches without shoes (when measured at home in the morning.) I'm pretty sure he'll get to ride RSR by our trip in July, but I'm trying to figure out if we should do wide right or just get FP. I remember from our trip in Sept that the measuring stick is to the left of the line up. Are they pretty quick about measuring kids, or will 50+ people be getting into the lineup while DS is being measured? I'm assuming that if DH and DD get into the line while DS is being measured, others in the line won't happily let us pass them to catch up with our family.
Rubygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:19 PM   #200
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamertz View Post

Do the guests staying at a DL hotel get to use EMH on every day of their stay, or just on one of the days?

If I'm not staying on DL property, and I have a 5 day park hopper (for Mon thru Fri), that means I can use my MM entry into DL on either Tue or Thu, leaving the other day as the only day I can enter DCA at rope drop without DL hotel guests already being in the park. So, that would be the day I do the wide right technique, but then what should be my plan immediately after exiting RSR to best maximize being in the park when it first opens?
The guests staying on site get to use early entry everyday of their stay. So for M-F visit, if you use your MM on Tuesday for DL, you would be able to use wide right optimally on Thursday. Of course, the FP option is available to you on the other days as well.

Right after you exit RSR, it would depend on your priorities where you would head next. If you want to ride RSR again, you could most likely hop in the RSR FP line and snag a FP. If you want to optimize your time with rides, I would do Luigi's if you have any interest, then head for Paradise Pier. Do Toy Story and then Screamin'.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #201
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubygoose View Post
My DS is 40 and a half inches without shoes (when measured at home in the morning.) I'm pretty sure he'll get to ride RSR by our trip in July, but I'm trying to figure out if we should do wide right or just get FP. I remember from our trip in Sept that the measuring stick is to the left of the line up. Are they pretty quick about measuring kids, or will 50+ people be getting into the lineup while DS is being measured? I'm assuming that if DH and DD get into the line while DS is being measured, others in the line won't happily let us pass them to catch up with our family.
It is hard to say on a particular day how fast they will be at measuring. I have seen days when they seemed to be on top of it, measuring quickly. But all it takes is one family to start arguing or a meltdown to slow the whole thing down. It is definitely easier to do child swap with FPs, rather than tryjng to beat the crowds doing wide right on standby. So if you think he may not measure tall enough, I might be tempted to recommend FP.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:26 PM   #202
Cameo818
Mouseketeer

For folks who are wondering if they should bother using the Wide Right Technique even if they're not at the front of the rope...absolutely! We used it on Wednesday, May 8 during Early Admission but were about 15-20 rows back of people at the rope at the end of Buena Vista Street. The CMs walked us back to Cars Land, and we stayed on the right edge of the asphalt. We weren't the first 20 people on RSR, but we only had a 10-minute queue time, which was awesome. The most difficult thing is keeping your party together when the line starts to squish down, but is much easier to do if you stay on the right. Wonderful technique!

DLR trips - '93, '94, '95 (14 trips), '97 (3 trips), '98 (honeymoon), '10 (PPH), '12 (PPH), '13 (PPH), '14 (PPH)
WDW trips - '92 with parents & sister (Dixie Landings), '96 with extended family (offsite - there were 18 of us!), & 2000 with DH (Port Orleans), '14 half day in Epcot due to Conference (offsite)
Disney Cruise Line - hoping sometime in 2016?
Cameo818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 PM   #203
jsknacke
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo818 View Post
For folks who are wondering if they should bother using the Wide Right Technique even if they're not at the front of the rope...absolutely! We used it on Wednesday, May 8 during Early Admission but were about 15-20 rows back of people at the rope at the end of Buena Vista Street. The CMs walked us back to Cars Land, and we stayed on the right edge of the asphalt. We weren't the first 20 people on RSR, but we only had a 10-minute queue time, which was awesome. The most difficult thing is keeping your party together when the line starts to squish down, but is much easier to do if you stay on the right. Wonderful technique!
Very true! Same thing happened to our family we were about 15 rows back and our wait time was maybe 10 minutes!
jsknacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #204
ahilly
Mouseketeer

So if I'm understanding this technique correctly it will only work for those staying at a DL resort hotel when those guests have EE, such as a Sunday morning? We are staying offsite and only have one day to spend at DLR and the top priority is CL. We planned on visiting on a Sunday and from what I'm reading DCA opens at 8am. We planned on being at park by 715am. Is that too early? And since it is an EE day at DCA, should we just go for fast passes to RSR or will the standby not be too bad at that point? Sorry for all the questions but this is our first trip to DCA. Any insight/tips are welcome !
Thanks!
Disney day trip & Sanibel Island 09/2003 (me, DH & DD-her first trip!)
POP 05/2004 (me, DH, DD, MIL & FIL) & 10/2004 MNSSHP (me, DH, DD & DM)
POP 08/2006 (me, DH, MIL, DD & DS-his first trip!)
Yacht Club Concierge level 11/2007 (me, DH, DD, DS & DM)
POR Alligator Bayou 08/2012 (me, DH, DD, DS & DM)
ahilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #205
jsknacke
Earning My Ears

Unfortunately the technique won't work if it's an EE day and you're not able to attend the EE. You could try for fast passes but from what I saw when I was there 2 weeks ago was the fast pass line was so long it wrapped around to Tower of Terror and the machines were at the entrance to Bugs Land (across from the big waterfall). I heard it was like a 2 hr wait just to get a FP and they do run out. So you could still line up early and a family member who is a fast runner run straight for the FP line. There will be people lined up from EE but they do not open machines until the actual regular park opening.
jsknacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #206
TheChapman6
DIS Veteran

We did early entry last Wednesday and used wide right there were about 8 people in front of us. It worked like a charm we were able to see all of carsland ride Luigi and mater and get in the fastpass line before the second rope drop

DLH May 2013, PPH Feb 2014, GCH Sept 2014
TheChapman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #207
AC7179
DIS Veteran

What about Baby Swap?

Will Wide Right Work if you are going to do a baby swap? I know the baby has to come with us to the line. Any problem pushing a stroller ont he wide right?
AC7179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #208
glk2009
Mouseketeer

We did wide right while my friend waited for FP with our baby and when I asked the CM for a rider swap pass and explained where the baby was, he handed us the pass without blinking an eye. At least that was our recent experience. HTH!
glk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #209
glk2009
Mouseketeer

Also, for the stroller... Stroller parking is on the right side by Ramone's. Once they start narrowing the line, they ask everyone to park their strollers. I don't know if they will let you through or if you'd even want to try since it's a bit nutty.
glk2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:16 PM   #210
ArchOwl
The Highly Educated Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7179 View Post
Will Wide Right Work if you are going to do a baby swap? I know the baby has to come with us to the line. Any problem pushing a stroller ont he wide right?
Honestly, I would ditch the stroller before getting in the line. It can get pretty nuts with everyone trying to jostle for position and I would not want to have to handle a stroller.

The baby swap can work, but like you said, the CM must see the child too young to ride. It the CMs are on top of things and not busy, they can give you a rider swap pass right away. Hopefully it works out for you!

Tags
cars land, mm hour, rsr, wide right

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: