Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
Mskay1216
Earning My Ears

Castaway with 3 yo and 1yo

Hello!
we booked our first disney cruise for Sept 2015
I've been reaching other posts regarding cabanas. So the reality is slim chance of getting one if not platinum member so my question is

are there any umbrella's etc on the beach? if not can I bring my own infant beach play shade?

IF by some far out chance I was able to book a cabana how does that work and which one to choose?

thanks!
Mskay1216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 12:55 PM   #2
jetskigrl

Ignorance is definitely bliss sometimes!
Ok...lets shake things up a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mskay1216 View Post
Hello!
we booked our first disney cruise for Sept 2015
I've been reaching other posts regarding cabanas. So the reality is slim chance of getting one if not platinum member so my question is

are there any umbrella's etc on the beach? if not can I bring my own infant beach play shade?

IF by some far out chance I was able to book a cabana how does that work and which one to choose?

thanks!
There are quite a few umbrella's on the beach (usually one for each two lounge chairs in the main beach areas). So you should have no problem getting an umbrella.

Depending on what ship you are one, the cabanas may be all booked by concierge before anyone else gets a chance to book one. But even if they are all booked, keep checking the website every day in case someone changes their mind and cancels theirs. It didn't work for me but I have read others that have been able to get one that way

Next Up:
jetskigrl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Drusilla99
Mouseketeer

There are umbrellas all over the place. The chairs are set up for a family of four; two lounge chairs & two beach chairs with one umbrella between the lounges. It was perfect! Most people take the beach chairs & sit in the water to be closer to their little ones while they splash around. Yes, not much luck getting a cabana unless you're one of the 1st to reserve, but we were there for the 2nd time last month. We were bummed we couldn't get the cabana too, but when all was said & done, we got front lounges, were super close to the water play structure, & glad we hadn't just spent $500+ for a cabana farther away from the action & where the kids wanted to be. I'm sure you can bring your own infant shade if you want some added protection, I always call just to be sure. Have fun!
Drusilla99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Jsoenning
Enjoying the Magic

I agree on the plenty of shade via free accomodations. I had some friends bring a red wagon on board and it appeared they used it on the Castaway Cay day (kids about the same age as yours).

There are shuttle cars that take you from the ship to the beach and back but if you don't want to wait or want to walk more of the island without wearing them out.
8/25/2005 - Rhapsody of the Seas, 7-night Western Caribbean; 9/04/2007 - Legend of the Seas, 13-night Italy & Croatia Cruise; 10/18/2009 - Freedom of the Seas, 7-night Eastern Caribbean; 1/24/2010 - Voyager of the Seas, 7-night Western Caribbean; 8/29/2010 - Liberty of the Seas, 7-night Western Caribbean; 1/31/2011 - Voyager of the Seas, 7-night Western Caribbean; 12/08/2012 - Disney Magic, 7-night Western Caribbean; 5/10/2013 - Disney Magic, 8-night Bahamas

2015 Planned Cruises = Navigator of the Seas, 7-night Western Caribbean followed by traveling on Disney Wonder, 7-night Bahamas (back to Galveston!)

Jsoenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #5
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

If I may give you some hopefully-helpful, though unsolicited, advice? Plan on your day either not being relaxing, OR on your day being relaxing for one adult at a time. Figure out now if you want to both be "on" all day (I'm making an assumption that there are two adults...if that's inaccurate I apologize for the assumption) and not really relax OR if you want to take it in shifts. One person is on kid duty for an hour, then you switch, etc. The other adult can swim on their own, or nap, or whatever while not on kid-watch. OR one adult is in charge of one kid, then you swap kids every so often.

I think that that doing it this way will make it easier to relax into whatever you've decided upon. It will at the very least take away possibilities for misunderstandings, irritations, and possible serious annoyances with each other, since it will be discussed in advance.

My first day at Castaway was possibly THE most relaxing day of my life. For me. But that was because I got off the ship on my own to do the 5K, when I was done with that DH and DS were there and we found a place to sit, then I spent the rest of the day relaxing and lazing and lounging, while DH scurried around helping with our son (who was 7 at the time) and my cousin's kids, while my cousin and her husband sometimes went off to do their own thing.

It was NOT DH's most relaxing day. (that's me, whistling while looking to the side, feeling a little guilty)

On our second time at Castaway, it was with the same group and he just figured he would be doing the same thing, and he was able to relax more and do it all more efficiently. He's a good guy.

So at least have the discussion now. 3&1 = a lot more work than a 7 year old (and his cousins).

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
MC0810
Mouseketeer

two years ago castaway cay had wagons for free you could use..you need to grab one early though, as there were not a lot. People were stopping and asking me where I got it. I believe they were by the family beach near where the bike rentals were. We were able to grab one for our then 1 year old and 4 year old and we used it alot!!! Especially to bring food and drinks back from the buffet on the island.
May 2012 ~ DCL Magic
May 2013 ~ AOA
Oct 2013 ~ POP
May 2014 ~ POP
Oct 2014~ MNSSHP
May 2015 ~ DCL Fantasy-Western
MC0810 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: