Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #1
Peytonthe1st
Princess in Training

What experiences are a "must do" on my family's first DCL cruise?

My family is cruising on Fantasy in November 2015. It will be me, DH, DD (7) and DS (3). We've all cruised other cruise lines before (except DS, this will be his first cruise), but we've never cruised DCL. The cruise is primarily to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary and I am considering booking Palo or Remy as a special dinner for me and DH (yes, I know I have MONTHS until we can book), but is it really all it's cracked up to be? Is it worth the extra money, or should we save the money and just send the kids to kids' club and try for a private dinner in one of the regular dining rooms?

Also, are there any other on-board experiences that you feel are a must-do for first timers (with or without the kids in tow)?

Our itinerary includes St. Maarten (DH and I actually cruised there for our honeymoon), St. Thomas (another one we cruised to for our honeymoon)/St. John (we have NOT been there) and CC. How about port experiences we should't miss? I am planning to do the CC 5k (I'm a runner), but what about a cabana? I am assuming since there aren't many of them that one can have a great time on CC without one, yes?

Thanks so much for your input.

Peytonthe1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

Ok, the real must do's:

1. Paperwork (cruise contract, proper id's)
2. Buffer time on embarkation day, so you don't miss the boat.
3. Attend the safety-drill
4. Get off the ship at the end of the cruise when you are forced to

Further: relax and enjoy your cruise. Have the relaxed family time you wish for. Don't stress and don't overplan. Seems you already have enough experience with the ports to decide what you want to do and see there.
Enjoy your cruise!
Register to remove

Old 05-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
The Sasquatch
Mouseketeer

make sure the kids get to spend some time in the clubs. They are fantastic and nothing like any other cruise line. When we went on our first we thought there would be no way we let our daughter out of our site. It ended up being her favorite thing and the process/security/staff made it so much better for us.

the shows are great at night. Dont miss out on the late night buffet in cabanas. Use the free room service. Take some time and rent bikes on cc and ride around with the kids. Really fun. make sure you bring a pillow case, sharpies and some treats for the crew and drop it off to get signed by the characters. Its a nice gift for the kids to bring home.
The Sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:58 PM   #4
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peytonthe1st View Post
My family is cruising on Fantasy in November 2015. It will be me, DH, DD (7) and DS (3). We've all cruised other cruise lines before (except DS, this will be his first cruise), but we've never cruised DCL. The cruise is primarily to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary and I am considering booking Palo or Remy as a special dinner for me and DH (yes, I know I have MONTHS until we can book), but is it really all it's cracked up to be? Is it worth the extra money, or should we save the money and just send the kids to kids' club and try for a private dinner in one of the regular dining rooms?

Also, are there any other on-board experiences that you feel are a must-do for first timers (with or without the kids in tow)?

Our itinerary includes St. Maarten (DH and I actually cruised there for our honeymoon), St. Thomas (another one we cruised to for our honeymoon)/St. John (we have NOT been there) and CC. How about port experiences we should't miss? I am planning to do the CC 5k (I'm a runner), but what about a cabana? I am assuming since there aren't many of them that one can have a great time on CC without one, yes?

Thanks so much for your input.
1. Take a highlighter. As you read through your Navigator, decide what interests you, and highlight it. Then decide what to do. You can get extra copies of the daily schedule page of the Navigator from a box on a wall at Guest Services.

2. I don't think they mention Mickey Bars on the room service menu. Maybe they do. I do know you can get them. We did not figure this out until our 6th cruise. We always order Mickey Bars to soften the blow of packing on our last night. (The bars, like most of room service, are included in the price of the cruise (I hate to use the word "free"), but it is generally nice to tip a dollar or two for the CM who brings you room service.)
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
FergusBC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peytonthe1st View Post
The cruise is primarily to celebrate my 10 year wedding anniversary and I am considering booking Palo or Remy as a special dinner for me and DH (yes, I know I have MONTHS until we can book), but is it really all it's cracked up to be? Is it worth the extra money, or should we save the money and just send the kids to kids' club and try for a private dinner in one of the regular dining rooms?
I would suggest booking Palo or Remy for your anniversary dinner. The main dining rooms are a little noisy for a romantic dinner and remember, you may end up sharing a table with other passengers.
Disney Wonder, Western Caribbean, November 2013 Trip Report ("Even better than the first cruise!", says 12 year old daughter )
FergusBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: