Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Overall, what do you consider should be done with the concierge tip envelope?
Leave no tip regardless (are we not already paying for their services?) 15 15.63%
Leave $1-2 per person per day if you have only minimal requests 12 12.50%
Leave $3-4 per person if you have only minimal requests 12 12.50%
Leave $5-6 per person if you have only minimal requests 7 7.29%
Leave more than $6 per person if you have only minimal requests 3 3.13%
Leave $1-2 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staff 2 2.08%
Leave $3-4 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staf 6 6.25%
Leave $5-6 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staf 4 4.17%
Leave more than $6 per person if you have many requests made of the concierge staf 7 7.29%
Leave set amount, i.e. $100 for 7 night cruise 27 28.13%
Leave set amount, i.e. $200 for 7 night cruise 13 13.54%
Leave set amount, i.e. $300 or more for 7 night cruise 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Tipping the concierge . . . the poll . . .

Since it was asked, I am going to go ahead and make a poll about concierge tipping. Obviously, you can choose more than one selection. Sorry about the typos on "staff". Just meant to get a feel for the opinions out there.

DWF

P.S. The amounts for all the "per person" choices were also meant to include "per day"

Last edited by disneywonderfun; 08-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.
disneywonderfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

None of those options covers my opinion. I would tip at the time, when a service is supplied. Amount would depend on what I asked to be done, and if it was done quickly/well/grudgingly/several hours later/etc.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #3
jrbdad
Mouseketeer

Thanks for pulling this together.
jrbdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:36 PM   #4
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
None of those options covers my opinion. I would tip at the time, when a service is supplied. Amount would depend on what I asked to be done, and if it was done quickly/well/grudgingly/several hours later/etc.

I knew I would leave off a few possibilities simply due to the variety that exists. Thanks for the input!

DWF
Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #5
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post

Curious if you would do the same with your dining and stateroom host? Like them, the envelope for the concierge is given at the end of the cruise. If you tip as you go, would you just not give him an envelope at the end of the cruise?

Interesting responses. You can see they run the gamut and everyone tips differently.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 AM   #6
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

there shouldn't be a tip envelope.

Tips to concierge staff should be what you want to give if you think they deserve a tip.

they shouldn't automatically get ANYTHING!

they are a salaried position, unlike the room stewards and dining servers, who do not get any salary at all, and for whom the tips are their entire income.

Concierge staff are salaried positions. The tips should be given for a job well done, not as a matter of course.

This wasn't an option in your poll.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:52 AM   #7
Subi WRX
Hangs with Jerry Springer thugs at Universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyholic family View Post
there shouldn't be a tip envelope.

Tips to concierge staff should be what you want to give if you think they deserve a tip.

they shouldn't automatically get ANYTHING!

they are a salaried position, unlike the room stewards and dining servers, who do not get any salary at all, and for whom the tips are their entire income.

Concierge staff are salaried positions. The tips should be given for a job well done, not as a matter of course.

This wasn't an option in your poll.

Concierge DOESN'T automatically get anything. However, you DO get an envelope for tipping the concierge, whether you want it or not. So it is an option in the poll (first one: leave no tip regardless).

DCL says tipping concierge is "at your discretion." Looks like people's "discretion" is all over the place.
Subi WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Okay, I thought Concierge employees were prohibited from taking tips.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:07 AM   #9
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
this used to be the case for disney resort concierge staff....i don't know if it's still true..

i really really really really really really hate this whole tipping business...

one of the reasons i love japan - no tipping and far better service than you ever get anywhere in the US where tipping reigns supreme...
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #10
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post

Concierge DOESN'T automatically get anything. However, you DO get an envelope for tipping the concierge, whether you want it or not. So it is an option in the poll (first one: leave no tip regardless).

DCL says tipping concierge is "at your discretion." Looks like people's "discretion" is all over the place.
my answer is "none of the above"...not a set per person per day amount and not a set amount..

you give what you feel like giving if you feel like giving..

i know that on the wonder our concierge staff didn't deserve a penny......
Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 AM   #11
ludari
DIS Veteran

The first time I sailed on DCL I too felt what did this person do for me to deserve a tip, however since I was travelling solo the tip amount wasn't enough for me to get upset about. Since my first Disney cruise I have learned to asks for a service such as a particular entree that is not on the menu or a particular desert to be sent to my stateroom later so I don't feel like I am tipping for nothing.
DLR/DCA - Too many times to count; Tokyo Disneyland-Aug 1986; DCL Magic WBTA-Sept 2010; DCL Wonder Cruise to Nowhere-Jan 2011; DCL Wonder Mexican Rivera Cruise-Jan 2011; Princess Half Marathon-Feb 2011; DLR 5K & Half Marathon-Sept 2011; DCL Wonder Repo Cruise-Sept 2011; Wine&Dine Half Marathon-Oct 2011; WDW 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2012; Princess 5K & Half Marathon-Feb 2012; DCL Fantasy Maiden Cruise-Mar 2012; Expedition Everest Challenge-May 2012; DLR Half Marathon-Sept 2012; Disney/Pixar Wonder Cruise-Sept 2012; Tower of Terror 10-Miler and 5K-Sept 2012; Wine&Dine 5K & Half Marathon-Nov 2012; Goofy Challenge & 5K-Jan 2013; Tinker Bell 5K & Half Marathon-Jan 2013; Disney Aulani Resort-May 2013; Club 33-July 2013; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2013; Tower of Terror 10-Miler-Oct 2013; Dopey Challenge-Jan 2014; Tinker Bell 5K, 10K & Half Marathon-Jan 2014; Dumbo Double Dare-Sept 2014; DCL Magic Westbound Transatlantic Cruise-Sept 2014; Avengers Super Heroes 5K & Half-Nov 2014; Star Wars Rebel Challenge & 5K-Jan 2014

ludari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #12
disneywonderfun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
The first time I sailed on DCL I too felt what did this person do for me to deserve a tip, however since I was travelling solo the tip amount wasn't enough for me to get upset about. Since my first Disney cruise I have learned to asks for a service such as a particular entree that is not on the menu or a particular desert to be sent to my stateroom later so I don't feel like I am tipping for nothing.
I know what you mean.

DWF
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #13
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Concierge (on DCL) used to be a non-tippable position. You can tip now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subi WRX View Post
Curious if you would do the same with your dining and stateroom host? Like them, the envelope for the concierge is given at the end of the cruise. If you tip as you go, would you just not give him an envelope at the end of the cruise?

Interesting responses. You can see they run the gamut and everyone tips differently.
Since the dining room servers and room host are doing stuff automatically for me everyday throughout the cruise, we tip as suggested, and, many times, add additional.

If I've already paid extra to be in concierge, I would only tip additional to the concierge staff if they do extra stuff for me, at the time the service is rendered.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
CoolHandsGirl
Mouseketeer

Thanks for putting this poll together - I was happy to add my vote and get a feel for what others are doing.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #15
AlexandNessa
Proud Redhead
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Must sleep barefoot
HEY EVERYONE...THIS IS A SECRET...SHE HATED THE MUMMY MOVIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolHandsGirl View Post
Thanks for putting this poll together - I was happy to add my vote and get a feel for what others are doing.
Yes, me too !

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: