DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #61
Meggysmum
Mouseketeer

We had visited WDW 5 times in 7 years butr always stayed off-site (although always in deluxe style accomodation).

I happened to read about DVC on a website and immediately became intersted and after playing with the figures we decided that we would buy 160pts outright at AK direct with Disney. I had never set foor in any resort hotel up to this point.

We took the tour but our guide suggested we took his card, visited Kidani and BLT and then call him back. Hubby fancied BLT but I was desperate for AK and would have signed on the dotted line if my husband hadn't stopped me.

Two hours later we drove into Kidani and I hated it on sight. We got out and walked around the pools, the reception and outside near the Savanna but I just didn't like it. I couldn't put my finger on what I disliked but my heart wasn't in it.

An hour later we rrived at BLT. Amazed to find that I loved it and the location near to MK (my favourite park) was fantsatic. The next day we became DVC owevers and haven't regretted it. For once in our marriage my husband was actually right!

I am sure I would have been OK staying at AK but knowing that BLT is my home always makes me smile.
Meggysmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #62
Tink415
DIS Veteran

We bought a small OKW resale without having ever stayed at or visited OKW back in 2006. It was an easy enough decision, as we had been vacationing at WDW for many years, had seen many pictures, and kind of knew what to expect. It also helped ease any qualms that the resale cost was about equal to what a weeks vacation would cost at a deluxe with no discounts. Since then we've stayed at OKW once. I don't love it, and in fact we had a unit with a horrible view during our stay, but it would be fine if OKW was the only place we could stay. Its a nice resort and those rooms are big! If I was buying direct from Disney at full price, and had never visited where I was going to buy, most likely I would have to check it out ahead of time and love what I was buying.
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 06:31 PM   #63
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

When we did the tour with our now gone guide we payed attention to the AKV mockup rooms only, never even looking at the BLT rooms but after a month of thought we bought at BLT. Did not even know what the rooms looked like, if it wasn't for videos posted by owners on Ytube it would have completely sight unseen... The funny part we have no interest what so ever to stay any place else and after the initial direct buy in we have done two additional resale purchases. My suggestion, decide which park is your favorite and buy near by. We have been going since Dec of 1971 so we will always associate WDW with the MK. Good luck and enjoy the purchase. We have never regretted any of ours even once.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 08-19-2012 at 09:27 PM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 PM   #64
ILuvTigger
Mouseketeer

We bought 1 contract at AKV site unseen (never stayed at a Disney resort before then). Saw photo's, the theme was perfect for us. After a few vacations, we added on at AKV. We are very happy with that decision. Good luck!

ILuvTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #65
MickeyFan612
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I purchased SSR having never been there and have no regrets. When I visited WDW last Spring I did make a point to visit all the resorts but only walked grounds and did drive bys. I was a little disappointed about how large and spread out SSR was, I had no idea when I purchased but the pool is quite impressive there and when I saw how close to Downtown Disney it was I realized SSR had just as many pros as cons. I'm looking forward to enjoying trips there when my kids get a little older, but for now if I'm able to book at my 7 month window at blt I'm going to choose it. With a 2 and 6 year old the closer you can get to Magic Kingdom the better. As my kids age I plan to visit them all
MickeyFan612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #66
eMoneyBug
Earning My Ears

Southern California Resident: 1st time purchaser of SSR sight unseen

I'm taking the plunge as well at SSR for the value. 365 points @$47 with full 2011 banked. I've never been to SSR. I've only been to WDW twice and we stayed at the disney all star value 1st trip then this past trip I stayed at the dolphin using points I earned travelling for work. I have walked the grounds of AKV and BWV and BLT before, but never seen the inside of the rooms in person. I have stayed at Grand CA before about 5times and love it there.

I hope to use my points for Aulani, special occasion weekends at Grand CA, and when we do goto WDW, probably try to stay at 2 different DVC just to try them out.

For example, this summer's trip to Maui included 2 nights sleeping in the mini van at the National Park, but also included 5 nights at the Westin Villas in a 1 bedroom, so to me staying at any DVC property is going to be nice.

I consulted my kids 9 girl & 12 boy and they browsed the brochure and I had them rank each DVC on where they wanted to stay. SSR ranked in the middle and AKV ranked a tad higher on their list, so since learning on these boards that those 2 resorts are great value purchases, I jumped in!

I'm also the guy that bought a Toyota Prius in 2005 without test driving or ever being in one before purely for the car pool lane sticker offered here in Cali. Now that the govenator has not renewed the car pool lane sticker for hybrids, I've traded it in this year.

...Sometimes your gut just tells you things will be great and even if you're wrong you won't know for awhile :D
eMoneyBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #67
aclov
DIS Veteran

I bought Boardwalk unseen in 1999. I did ask alot of questions and did research on these boards, TUG and just internet search.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #68
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Experience is the best teacher.

You can tour the models, look at pictures, visit the internet, but staying at a resort is IMO the only way to truly find out which is your favorite resort.

A long hallway to someone else may be no big deal to you when you walk it.

Seeing animals at AKV may be a big deal to some but to others, a few animals gets old pretty fast and a resort with dark wood tones and decor can be depressing to some people.

Being at any Disney resort makes some people very happy, others are looking for somewhere that matches their personal taste.

Some want a certain view from the room, others could look at a wall and be happy.

Some spend the majority of their vacation time at their resort, others in the parks.

And the hardest thing to plan for is that your tastes will probably change as you get older and/or spend more time at Disney.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #69
dvcterry
DIS Veteran

bought preconstruction BCV & had never stayed on site anywhere before. had no idea what add-ons would look like either, just told guide to send papers.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:00 PM   #70
Disneypapa
OKW owner since 2002

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I purchased a resale contract in 2002 at OKW without having ever stayed at any of the DVC accommodations.

I did have my adult son go on one of the tours while his family was vacationing to get an idea of the quality of the product, etc.
Disneypapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:06 PM   #71
caesr
Earning My Ears

I bought at BWV when it first opened sight unseen and have since added two contracts at VWL. We usually go to Disney 2-3 times a year for various reasons (marathon, f&w, or just plain old fun!) i have actually only stayed in my home resort about 3 times each. Because of my work schedule I can never plan a vacation as far as 11 months or even the seven month window. I'm usually calling member services 1 month out, maybe 2 if I'm lucky. I've been able to snag a grand villa at BLT for Halloween last year and just last week booked a 2 bedroom for new years at BCV. I do understand that it has been a problem for people to get reservations on short notice but for me that has never been an issue. And there was only one instance where i was not able to actually stay at the resort i wanted to stay at for that particular trip. I also LOVE staying at the different resorts. It's part of the fun for me and my family. Something different and unique each time we visit WDW but still feels like "home".
If you are buying sight unseen I would definitely do as much research as possible and probably choose based on location. But it's far from the end of the world should you like another resort better after you have tried it. For me, staying at all the different DVC resorts has made our trips extra magical!

Last edited by caesr; 09-13-2012 at 02:29 PM.
caesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #72
CRobin
DIS Veteran

My wife and I got our seats split up on a return flight from a BC vacation. The guy next to me had on a DVC polo shirt. After 2 hours of discussion with him and a few weeks researching resales, we bought sight unseen at OKW, and had our first trip there 2 months later. Never a regret, and since then have purchased 2 BWV resale contracts.
CRobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #73
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

We bought, sight unseen, at SSR.

And couldn't be happier.

1.) We've still stayed at BWV, OKW, and VWL. (Despite many stating that you should assume you will most likely be at your home resort... we've never had trouble staying elsewhere... although we don't often travel at high capacity times, so YMMV with this.)

2.) We actually love SSR. The proximity to DTD gives it a "leg up" for us in many cases.

Good Luck! You won't be sorry

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #74
PhillyCPA
Earning My Ears

We just bought at AKV sight unseen. I've read all the pros and cons, and the cons for many just don't seem to be something that would bother us. We both really love animals and quiet time so it just seemed like the right place.

Headed down to Disney on Friday for the weekend and staying off property (Sea World this trip with an impromptu MNSSHP). I think we will probably head to AKL one night and do dinner to check out our new home
PhillyCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #75
DougEMG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMoneyBug View Post
I'm taking the plunge as well at SSR for the value. 365 points @$47 with full 2011 banked.
That's a great deal on SSR.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: